EA Forums - Banner

Is it wrong to copy other people's designs?

Prev1
When it comes to designing cities, I don't see myself a very creative person. However, I would like to have an organized and beautiful town but I just don't know where to start. Is it wrong to copy the design of some (most) of the areas from my neighbors?

Replies

• I think it depends on the person. I seen one of my friends had used my design a year back,and because I am not much of a designer either, I took it as a compliment.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Copying everything exactly? Probably not a good idea. Ive used others ideas as a starting point, but make it my own design.
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I am not sure why you would want to copy everything from somebody else. I may not be the best designer but I like that my town is my own. There are things that I wish looked better but it will always be a work in progress. I would love to be able to do 3D like some people can, but my brain doesn't work that way. I would rather look at others designs in their towns or in the showcase thread than add them to my town.
  • Go for it! No one can copyright their design in the game. Try it to begin and once you're more comfortable, ideas will come to you!
    BTW: My Springfield circa Winter 2014: orionsbell.com/simpsons/Winter2014.png
  • Kasra258 wrote: »
    When it comes to designing cities, I don't see myself a very creative person. However, I would like to have an organized and beautiful town but I just don't know where to start. Is it wrong to copy the design of some (most) of the areas from my neighbors?

No. It's absolutely not wrong. It's your Springfield so you set it up however you want to regardless of where you draw your inspiration.
  • nissa762
    1950 posts Member
    Kasra258 wrote: »

Personally I've seen a couple of my designs copied in a neighbour's town and was quite flattered - doesn't bother me at all, it's a compliment.

I'd say go for it. Also check out the showcase section of the forum for some ideas.

• I don't think it's wrong. I've had friends pinch my designs and I've seen some ~really~ good designs in friends towns that I will replicate when I have the room. I think it's a compliment to that persons imagination.
  • 1pillform
    2021 posts Member
    I don't mind. I design, I usually get my ideas from others like I base them off their designs sometimes. I do try to make it my own and do something different. Whoever is on my list if they want to copy some of my 3d work go ahead. Maybe you can make it better :) but ya I am inspired by a lot of other peoples work. And some 3d stuff I just give up on. I wish I could be better always....I recently gave up on one I wanted to do from what I saw. I just couldn't do it. Not sure why it didn't work. I think there is some secrets in designing I am not aware of.
    ~Always be Designing~
    Don't increase the Item Limit? Then I don't play. Period.
  • adruralo
    3292 posts Member
    I’ve been inspired by quite a few good designers, though I don’t copy exactly it inspires me to build a similar design.
    iPad Air M1 2022: iPhone 13 Blue.
  • adruralo wrote: »
    I’ve been inspired by quite a few good designers, though I don’t copy exactly it inspires me to build a similar design.

Same here. I sometimes see screenshots people have posted with their designs and think 'wow, that's a great idea.' :)
  • Caveman Homer.. goes up to the *wall* the blank canvas of life..
    <SLASHES A STRIPE OF RED>
    <SLASHES A STRIPE OF YELLOW>
    <SLASHES A STRIPE OF BLUE>
    ..... <looks around>
    <Get's up on a rock>
    "THESE ARE MY COLORS.. ANYONE WHO USES THEM OR ANY VARIATION (By mixing them or whatever) IS A PLAGIARIST AND A (gasp) COPYCAT!!!!!

Look. at this point we stand on the shoulders of GIANTS.. look to.. hell at this point I do not even want to pretend to know.. SOOO many great towns, SOO many great people.

Just let them inspire you.. make it your own, and if your LUCKY you get a PM saying "WOW.. that is great"

I still have neighbors that I stop in and go.. "****" (@sandwedge or GT, 4X, Roses even)

This is not a competition.. never has been never will be. This is just a virtual zen garden with a Simpsons wrapper.. (Thank GOD)

Just use the inspiration you get to try to make things that inspire others.. (less "Me" and more "we" if you ask me)

<3

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    Kasra258 wrote: »

No.
  • I don't see myself as a creative person, but I came across a neighbour who had copied my Squidport entrance - to a smaller scale and my Nighthawk Diner - item for item! At first, I was so mad and then I thought about it and came to the conclusion is was the biggest compliment! As long as you don't take it and run with it and say it was your idea first ;) I see no harm :)
  • I've seen a couple of my designs copied in someone else's town and I'm happy that they usedhave used my design. I've also seen some great ideas that I can't come up with myself and I have borrowed that person idea but I do change a bit of the details.
    Here have a banana!!
  • No it's not wrong on copying as people have mentioned it's your town and you can decide how to design your town. I've copied peoples towns and am sure people have copied mine I don't care there are no rules saying you can't copy
  • i think copying is part of the game. getting some inspiration from youre neighbors or the springfield showcase i great, i remember when homers brother joined the game, i saw a brilliant design including the velvetparking from SH. its one of the few designs i still have in my town, even after many rebuilds
  • I think it's fine to use other peoples towns for inspiration for your own designs.

I've taken ideas from others and made them my own. I'd never copy exactly, but I certainly get some wonderful ideas or inspiration from what other people have created.
  • Jonalinn
    1806 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    meinaz wrote: »
    I am not sure why you would want to copy everything from somebody else. I may not be the best designer but I like that my town is my own. There are things that I wish looked better but it will always be a work in progress. I would love to be able to do 3D like some people can, but my brain doesn't work that way. I would rather look at others designs in their towns or in the showcase thread than add them to my town.

I agree with @meinaz. I think it's wonderful to be inspired by another town, but it should be just that.. an inspiration ;) There is a joy that comes from creating your own designs, simple or complex, that makes the game uniquely yours. Copying designs is a mechanical process, void of your own personal creative style. To me, the real fun in TSTO is developing your own town.. your own design. Inspired by others? Great! But use the inspiration to frame and organize your own Springfield :)
    Just remember to sing along with Figment as you play! :)
    One little spark, of inspiration
    Is at the heart, of all creation.
    Right at the start, of everything that's new.
    One little spark, lights up for you.
    You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • Of course it's not wrong. I doubt that you'll end up with a city exactly like your inspiration, but even if you did, there is nothing wrong with that.
  • mystery2mi
    2359 posts Member
    About 6 months ago, I noticed one of my designs in a neighbor's town. It was nearly an exact match. I took it as a compliment that anyone would think any of my designs was worth copying. I'm always tweaking things in my town so things are always changing anyway.