EA Forums - Banner

Will the search function ever be fixed?

I noticed that recently @EA_Mage posted in some of the subforums an updated set of user guidelines. These guidelines consist in the main of common sense stuff that most of us should already know, but one suggestion jumped out at me:
Use the search feature to see if there’s already a thread for your question.

This would, of course, be easier to do if the search function actually worked. We are now approaching a full year since it broke and it has been at least 4-5 months since we were first informed that the problem had been “escalated”. I absolutely get that this is not a high-priority problem for EA’s staff, but I wish they would either fix it or tell us that they can’t/won’t do so.

Replies

• I used google to search for the previous thread, (as I frequently have to do when searching for a particular thread) posted May this year:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/99101/forum-issues-youtube-clips-etc
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    I used google to search for the previous thread, (as I frequently have to do when searching for a particular thread) posted May this year:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/99101/forum-issues-youtube-clips-etc

Yes. I’m aware of that thread (since I started it). And there are at least one or two others that pre-date the May thread in which users are informed that the issue is being looked into. Honestly, I’ve more or less given up on this problem. If it hasn’t been fixed by now, it’s either because no one is really working the problem or because it has been deemed insoluble. My only reason for commenting on this at all is the rather odd juxtaposition between @EA_Mage ’s guidance and the reality of a broken search function. (Granted, of course, that @EA_Mage is probably totally unaware of the fact that the forum search function no longer works.)
  • @KrustyBrand Yes, I did realise you started that thread, I was just adding some evidence of it, so that when @EA_Mage does respond, it can be seen as an ongoing problem.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • I noticed that recently @EA_Mage posted in some of the subforums an updated set of user guidelines. These guidelines consist in the main of common sense stuff that most of us should already know, but one suggestion jumped out at me:
    Use the search feature to see if there’s already a thread for your question.

This would, of course, be easier to do if the search function actually worked. We are now approaching a full year since it broke and it has been at least 4-5 months since we were first informed that the problem had been “escalated”. I absolutely get that this is not a high-priority problem for EA’s staff, but I wish they would either fix it or tell us that they can’t/won’t do so.

I would like some type of response to this problem. There have been many threads regarding this issue, with a promise of repair many times from @XXXO77O4906. Now we have threats of punishment to forum users from EA moderators if forum users don't use a dysfunctional search feature. Someone please elaborate on what you are expecting. @EA_Mage ??
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • I could start bumping threads? Oops!! I guess that's no longer allowed?
  • Ok. It's really simple. Type ANYTHING into the "search" feature. It will take you to September 2016. :)
  • Sorry, I forgot. SHOUTING is not allowed
  • @KrustyBrand @Mushsterino @IckabodSchrek

Mage does know about the issue, we all know about it. The rules which are set in place are a streamline of official rules across all EA sites. They vary a little bit with site to site but the basics are the same. Rules will not be changed just because something is not working atm.

As to how we action stuff, use the tool you have as best as you can and apply common sense. You will not be punished if something is not working and only if you go over the top will you be warned to stop before any real punishment is taken (of course you can be punished on sight depending on the situation but for that you 100% did something really bad that you knew was bad).

In basics, stuff stays the same. Be nice and you have nothing to worry about. Go over the top and expect repercussions of your actions.

The replies above from you @IckabodSchrek is a perfect example of how not to act on forums. Continuing like that leads to punishments indeed and that would have applied before the change and after. So basically dont do this again, act normal as always and that is it.

As for the feature, it is being looked at but its not as easy as you might think. Some stuff is easy to solve and some is not and this sadly goes into the "not" category. When there are updates available, we will share them but for now you will sadly have to wait a little longer.
  • As for the feature, it is being looked at but its not as easy as you might think. Some stuff is easy to solve and some is not and this sadly goes into the "not" category. When there are updates available, we will share them but for now you will sadly have to wait a little longer.

A (polite) rejoinder...

I’ve always assumed that the problem with the search function was nontrivial. It is for that very reason that I’ve become increasingly pessimistic about the prospects for a fix in the near term (if indeed the issue is ever fixed).
  • As for the feature, it is being looked at but its not as easy as you might think. Some stuff is easy to solve and some is not and this sadly goes into the "not" category. When there are updates available, we will share them but for now you will sadly have to wait a little longer.

A (polite) rejoinder...

I’ve always assumed that the problem with the search function was nontrivial. It is for that very reason that I’ve become increasingly pessimistic about the prospects for a fix in the near term (if indeed the issue is ever fixed).

Did I miss something?? Other than lip service and a threat of ... what? Let's bite the hand? Funny @KrustyBrand I'm beyond annoyed with this. PM me when you get a minute.
  • @KrustyBrand @Mushsterino @IckabodSchrek

Mage does know about the issue, we all know about it. The rules which are set in place are a streamline of official rules across all EA sites. They vary a little bit with site to site but the basics are the same. Rules will not be changed just because something is not working atm.

As to how we action stuff, use the tool you have as best as you can and apply common sense. You will not be punished if something is not working and only if you go over the top will you be warned to stop before any real punishment is taken (of course you can be punished on sight depending on the situation but for that you 100% did something really bad that you knew was bad).

In basics, stuff stays the same. Be nice and you have nothing to worry about. Go over the top and expect repercussions of your actions.

The replies above from you @IckabodSchrek is a perfect example of how not to act on forums. Continuing like that leads to punishments indeed and that would have applied before the change and after. So basically dont do this again, act normal as always and that is it.

As for the feature, it is being looked at but its not as easy as you might think. Some stuff is easy to solve and some is not and this sadly goes into the "not" category. When there are updates available, we will share them but for now you will sadly have to wait a little longer.

EXCUSE ME? Did you just threaten me??? Enough with your nonsense.
    Reported *shot*
  • @IckabodSchrek

It was a warning/notice of what not to do and what to do since you asked for it in your first post. The 3 posts that followed after are a perfect example of what not to do.

That is all and if you need any explanation for the new stuff you are always free to shoot a PM or tag etc.
  • @IckabodSchrek

It was a warning/notice of what not to do and what to do since you asked for it in your first post. The 3 posts that followed after are a perfect example of what not to do.

That is all and if you need any explanation for the new stuff you are always free to shoot a PM or tag etc.

I really appreciate your efforts here. However, I think you are best served over on the sports forums and at AHQ. and NO. I will not PM you. I think I speak for the majority of TSTO forum users in saying that we like our Moderators that we have here. Historically, they have negotiated through many sensitive topics and events. @KrustyBrand and I initially invited you into this forum after you made promises of repairing the forum's search feature. Now, I feel like I called out "Beetlejuice!" one too many times. ;)
  • You guys have much more moderators and SMs then you might know. Some interact more game wise, but we all do our stuff in the background.

As for me, I am for all EA Forums here. You and Krusty dident invite me here, I was always here and for quite a while too. I appear less then some others yeah, but that does not mean I dont watch over you and other forums in the meantime. I made no promises on fixing stuff, just that I will escalate it forward and that it will be looked at. How it then gets handled depends on the situation. Some stuff was easy to fix and some other stuff not so much but at least the team is aware and stuff is done in the meantime.

You may not know what we do in the background but trust me, a lot is done on a daily basics for all sides. If I could tell you all the stuff that has been done over all this time and by people you guys had no knowledge about it would make more sense I guess but not all of us are always that much present as some others but dont mistake that you invited us or that we dont do what we do. You will just have to trust and stick with all of us a little while till it gets solved and then we can all move on.

Anyway on the topic, the questions here were answered on the rules bit. You guys wont be punished unless you go overboard and yes we have taken into note the broken search function. There is nothing to fear on the new rules, its all pretty much the same stuff with just a more clear and explained list...... that is all really.

I will close this thread now as we have more on this subject and since its starting to get derailed a bit. Questions have been answered for the rules bit so again, there is nothing to fear here just carry on normally as always.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!