EA Forums - Banner

How you are losing snakes: Explained by testing engineer

Replies

• IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    the worst part is even if you can find the snakes that escape, you won't always get all snakes back, some eggs, which still results in a loss of snakes. Who's dumb idea was this?

JINX... @DD you owe me a coke... I swear I didn't see your post before writing mine.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    The worst thing about this whole mess to me is that when the snakes "get away", even if you recapture them, a fair number will be converted from snakes to eggs. I already get more eggs than I can give away. I had snakes, I want snakes back!

Yeah, that part is driving me crazy. Say I go into a town with 2250 snakes and I lose 10? So now I have to find 15 snakes. The majority of those will be eggs, so I leave the town sometimes with less snakes but more eggs.

I'd rather have the snakes back!

I don't like that at all.
  • Pumptruffles
    30 posts
    edited April 2013
    Plus the time spent having to find and recollect your snakes. Which in a big Springfield can take ages! This update is beatable if you have 4 hours spare every day, for everyone else it's a broken, unplayable mess.
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    Plus the time spent having to find and recollect your snakes. Which in a big Springfield can take ages! This update is beatable if you have 4 hours spare every day, for everyone else it's a broken, unplayable mess.

Now I love my new neighbors who are level 12 or under... small towns!
  • belfioria
    38 posts
    edited April 2013
    My observations: I only lose snakes (in increments of 5) if (a) I take more than 5 snakes from one town, then I pay for it in the next; or (b) visit the same town to take snakes twice in one day - for this reason it's important to also perform the three daily actions to know when you can safely enter a town again. If I avoid doing either of these two things, I haven't lost any snakes after having worked my way through about half my friend list.
  • Irishdazzler
    14 posts
    edited April 2013
    So you whack every snake in every town????

Because the snakes that are there are your 5 plus the ones that get released???

• IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    belfioria wrote:
    My observations: I only lose snakes (in increments of 5) if (a) I take more than 5 snakes from one town, then I pay for it in the next; or (b) visit the same town to take snakes twice in one day - for this reason it's important to also perform the three daily actions to know when you can safely enter a town again. If I avoid doing either of these two things, I haven't lost any snakes after having worked my way through about half my friend list.

Pretty sure you can never take more than the license allows + whatever escape. I've never seen more than that many. If none have escaped, I only ever find 5. If 5 have escaped, I find 10. If you see a snake in another town, you can safely take it. Maybe going back before 24 hours is more likely to cause escapes... although I did go back to one person's town today before the 24 hour period to dump a bunch of eggs, and saw no snakes (no escapees). It wasn't a very big town, so I'm pretty sure I didn't just miss some.
  • slacker001
    97 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I've actually given up going to my neighbors right now because of the losing snakes thing. I can see 5-10 on occasion, but I went in to one town today and saw my snake counter go from 781 down to 711. That's 70 snakes!! I was only able to retrieve 40 of them and I am not taking any more chances like that. I now only dump my eggs in my friends town so at least if any of my snakes get loose, they can use them. So to anyone on my friend list, I will totally understand if you don't leave me any eggs.
  • spiril1212
    141 posts
    edited April 2013
    belfioria wrote:

Pretty sure you can never take more than the license allows + whatever escape. I've never seen more than that many. If none have escaped, I only ever find 5. If 5 have escaped, I find 10. If you see a snake in another town, you can safely take it. Maybe going back before 24 hours is more likely to cause escapes... although I did go back to one person's town today before the 24 hour period to dump a bunch of eggs, and saw no snakes (no escapees). It wasn't a very big town, so I'm pretty sure I didn't just miss some.

Today I went back into a town where I just lost 5 snakes. I lost 5 snakes again and they were in the town for me to whack again. I have done this several times with different towns.
    So I don't think going back before the 24 hours has passed has anything to do with it, some towns just release your snakes to be rewhacked whether the timer has reset or not and some don't.
  • Dib1066
    2 posts
    edited April 2013
    But so what? You lose snakes you get them back but you're never able to increase the number of snakes which is the point of visiting other towns!
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Dib1066 wrote:
    But so what? You lose snakes you get them back but you're never able to increase the number of snakes which is the point of visiting other towns!

I've gained roughly 200 snakes from visiting 50 friends by keeping a close watch on the escaped snakes and getting them back along with my 5 snake license. The rest were in eggs. Every whacked snake has been accounted for in either snakes or eggs.

However, and this is a big one, it takes hours! I don't think I have it in me to continue this grind much longer.
  • spiril1212
    141 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Dib1066 wrote:

I've gained roughly 200 snakes from visiting 50 friends by keeping a close watch on the escaped snakes and getting them back along with my 5 snake license. The rest were in eggs. Every whacked snake has been accounted for in either snakes or eggs.

However, and this is a big one, it takes hours! I don't think I have it in me to continue this grind much longer.

Yeah, the grinding is killing me. I think I'll only visit a smaller number every day and cycle through my friend list that way. It's not like people really benefit from daily visits except for eggs, so you can just leave a larger number when you get to them.
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    Okay, so my latest details are these:

Went into about 30 towns in an hour and a half (ugh).
    - 3 towns had 5 escapees, found them easy enough. I consider that normal.
    - 1 town had 10 snakes escape. That was somewhat difficult, cuz it was a big busy town.
    - 1 town had 30 snakes escape!!! I think I got only 32 or 33 snakes before I left. I spent more than 10 minutes there looking for them cuz it just had to be in the neighbor that has the largest house farm ever. At least 75% of the town space is house farm. Just a nightmare.
    - 1 town with 5 escapees, I had to go back cuz I forgot to leave eggs. When I went back in after just leaving, 5 more snakes escaped. Found them, no problem.
    - 1 town with 5 escapees, I ended up with 6 of the 10 found as eggs, so a net lose of 1 snake in the bank.

The 2 that had more than 5 escapees, I believe they did swap positions in the list. The funny thing was, they stayed on the same page, it just shuffled first. It's weird.

As for the time between losing snakes, sometimes 5 towns in a row with no escapes. The 10 and 30 were back to back visits. I don't think that theory of escapes every 8 minutes or whatever time is accurate.

All total, I was down 2 or 3 snakes from what I should have ended with... Of course, not really, since some of those escapees may become eggs.
  • michaelkturk
    14 posts
    edited April 2013
    Here's why I don't agree with lissarv68's theory that it's not broken. I have two friends that also play. Neither had started paying the Whacking Day content. The first time I visited one of them, I lost 20 snakes. He hadn't sent Lisa to me. So the idea that it's tied to Lisa doesn't fly. There is a bug in the visit to friend's. Occam's Razor is right again. Simplest answer is usually the right one.
  • feresc80
    2 posts
    edited April 2013
    Hi, I'm really hoping for some one from EA to help me with a few problems I've been having since 4/12/13. Every time I collect money from my town, the xp, will increase, but when I leave the game and come back it is reset to 39,797. Please some one help with this issue. Also, Thursday April 11th of 2013 I had 1,787,969 in money and 1571 donuts, Friday morning it had disappeared. Money was down to 280,000, donuts to 75 and over 1,300,000 in land I had expanded gone.
    Please help me, this is my only entertainment I have, if it weren't for this game, my chemotherapy would be more difficult. I have been playing this game since it came out, and I would really like your help. My origin ID is [email protected], Feresc80.
    Thank you,
    Fernando
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited April 2013
    The Lisa theory doesn't pan out. I dropped snakes in my cousins town before Lisa and Homer finished their tasks to trigger the update.

I also noticed something new last night. Was dropping a bunch of eggs in a friends town and I was dropping 5 snakes every couple minutes while I was placing eggs. Had to stop 4-5 times to pick my snakes back up each time. This was hours after I already hit his town up for the 10 daily snakes.
  • spyder1998
    76 posts
    edited April 2013
    Lost over 200 today. This is getting old fast
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited April 2013
    Another thing I've noticed - I only lose snakes while I am active in the app. The snakes I've lost will either appear on the ground in my town or friends' towns and I'm able to pick them up. Ever since I went back to my normal game habits (opening up app every 3-5 hours) I stopped losing snakes that I couldn't pick back up.
  • nicolknappen
    192 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I've tried the methods suggested, including trying to recover "released" snakes. It rarely breaks even or pulls ahead when you lose snakes. I can't quite see a pattern, but it seems like it's more likely to happen in towns with a LOT of stuff in them.

I am now deleting friends' towns where I lose snakes. So, sorry, anybody who added me and got deleted. It's too frustrating. Even with the stump and rock, I wouldn't be guaranteed to get all the premiums without going at this 24/7, and I want that Sleazy Motel! So I broke down and bought the donuts. If I don't have to use them I won't, but so far, it looks like I'll have to.

Losing 20 or 30 snakes just takes too long to recover from. It doesn't feel like a game after that happens a few times. It feels like WORK.

• GetStephen
    51 posts
    edited April 2013
    Some things I can confirm from the last three hours of visiting my friends' Springfields:

1. I only lost snakes immediately after entering a Springfield, NEVER had it drop again during a visit. I purposely waited an extra fifteen minutes in a few Springfields just to watch the count.

2. I have 95 friends, visited them all, and 13 of them lost snakes at the entry point.

3. In the Springfields I lost snakes, I could always tap the amount of snakes I lost PLUS the five I am allotted with my expert license. (Example: enter Springfield, lost 15 snakes, was able to tap 20 snakes)

NOTE: in one particular Springfield, I lost 40 snakes. With perseverance and tenacity, I found all 45 tappable snakes.
    Often, they are hiding in the house farms and are incredibly difficult to find, but they ARE there.

4. I could find no direct coalition between owners of premium Whacking Day items and the snakes loss. In the same Springfield I lost 40 snakes, I found two speakers, three rocks and two stumps. Could this be the connection? No, in nearly half of the other Springfields in which I lost snakes, they had no premium Whacking Day items whatsoever. No consistencies.

The good news is that you can be +5 in every Springfield you visit. The bad news is that you must have a lot of disposable time, and you must be patient. For those that have played this game for more than a few weeks, you already possess these skills. It is an EA game, after all. :wink:

GetStephen

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!