EA Forums - Banner

How you are losing snakes: Explained by testing engineer

Replies

• DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    I don't think it's broken.

I think we don't understand how to use it.

It seems to me that we are on the cusp with this post on finally understanding it.

If I'm connecting the dots correctly, Lisa is sent into your town to release snakes. That release shows up when you go into the neighbors town and suddenly lose snakes. You have to go and find those snakes. That is why you have to watch your snake number.

I tried this out and it happened in two towns. The first I lost 20 snakes, got them back. The second I lost 30 snakes, got them back.

I have no idea why snakes are disappearing from our own towns unless we have to go out and find the snakes in our neighbors towns. So evidently we lose snakes two ways (and it is still not clear if Lisa has anything to do with this).

But I do know that I was able to get my snakes back....however....be careful though because if you overwhack? You will lose extra snakes....grrr....

Again, not broken....we just don't have a full understanding of how to play the whacking game.

But the reason we don't have a full understanding of this is because EA or the programmers didn't mention this AT ALL in the Whacking Day rules/instructions, which is a major failure on their part. It's kind of ludicrous that you'd penalize everyone (especially those of us who have yet to obtain the license at 400 yet) in a social game for being social. I'm sorry, but EA screwed the pooch on this game once again.
  • username5641
    293 posts
    edited April 2013
    Here's another interesting one.

I just experienced additional snake release in towns for the first time. By that, I mean that I heard the hissing sound after I was already in a town. This happened in two consecutive towns, then I returned to my town - seemed a good time for a break! I found that someone had sicced Lisa on my town, as I had an additional release of five snakes when I got back there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Might this be some weird thing that happens if someone sends Lisa to your town while you're in the process of visiting neighbors? (As in, separate from/in addition to the releases upon entering the towns.)
  • Dixins_Cider
    44 posts
    edited April 2013
    ^^^ agreed.

EA Spoon feed players on pretty much the most simple parts of this game, whether it be starting the game for the first time or when quests need to be done. It's an utterly ridiculous jump in logic to think they've suddenly gone all covert and mysterious creating some unimaginably complex plot to the whacking day promo.

This basically amounts to seriously bad, rushed, untested programming, and it would be laughable, if so many people were not pouring so much of their own hard earned $$$ on this game.

I really didn't think EA could turn this game into anymore of a shi7 sandwich after every glitch and fault that has happened with this game in the last 6 months, but boy was I wrong.

I'll still keep playing though, as they say "just to see how deep the rabbit hole goes".

One thing is for sure, I will NEVER be spending anymore money on this game, or on EA products.

/rant.

• IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    @lissarv68... Did you really lose more than 5 in one town only on a single visit? That sounds like a bug, from what I've seen, unless as you suggest it ties into something else ( Lisa or other visitors or something). I certainly was able to find all my escaped snakes, when it happened, plus 5 new ones.

But yes, I agree it isn't a bug for snakes to escape into other towns when you visit them. Annoying? Yes, especially as its unexpected and sometimes hard to find them all. Just that you can get them back, if you search for them.

As for those without a license... I'm not sure... Can they really not at least get back their escaped snakes?

It just seems this is unexpected, and people have certain behaviors with regard to getting in and out of neighbor towns fast, and it's compounding the "issue". I think everyone needs to slow down a bit, keep watch on their counts and make sure you have some time to do it right when visiting other towns, then you won't really lose anything.
  • heshmonstre
    491 posts
    edited April 2013
    I just entered two towns. Lost 50 in the first one, and 85(!!) in the other. Was only able to get back about 20-30 in each. I dont get it. Was able to stay for as long as I wanted without losing more snakes tho. Every time I think I've figured it out something new shows up. Could there be like 3 or 4 separate issues here?
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    @lissarv68... Did you really lose more than 5 in one town only on a single visit? That sounds like a bug, from what I've seen, unless as you suggest it ties into something else ( Lisa or other visitors or something). I certainly was able to find all my escaped snakes, when it happened, plus 5 new ones.

But yes, I agree it isn't a bug for snakes to escape into other towns when you visit them. Annoying? Yes, especially as its unexpected and sometimes hard to find them all. Just that you can get them back, if you search for them.

As for those without a license... I'm not sure... Can they really not at least get back their escaped snakes?

It just seems this is unexpected, and people have certain behaviors with regard to getting in and out of neighbor towns fast, and it's compounding the "issue". I think everyone needs to slow down a bit, keep watch on their counts and make sure you have some time to do it right when visiting other towns, then you won't really lose anything.

Yep, I have definitely lost more than 5 in some towns. I've been PMing with a couple others, we share neighbors, and have discovered the same results with the larger number towns. We do not match up every time on the -5 towns but if we all have the same town where I've lost more than 5 snakes? They've lost in that town the same amount. It is a glitch somehow in those towns.

I posed a question and haven't seen the response.

Those who are losing snakes in their own towns, have you had a friend check to see if you are one of the towns where snake loss is occurring?
  • username5641
    293 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Those who are losing snakes in their own towns, have you had a friend check to see if you are one of the towns where snake loss is occurring?
    I have two towns. Someone sent Lisa to my main town yesterday evening. In the afternoon, the secondary town visited with no snake loss. After Lisa's visit, five snakes were released upon entering. I went back before bed to see if this would replicate and it did - five snakes gone again.

This morning, secondary town entered main town with no snake loss.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    I have two towns. Someone sent Lisa to my main town yesterday evening. In the afternoon, the secondary town visited with no snake loss. After Lisa's visit, five snakes were released upon entering. I went back before bed to see if this would replicate and it did - five snakes gone again.

It's early, I'm not sure I'm following this.

What I meant was if you are losing snakes in your town (as in suddenly 5 snakes have vanished from your inventory), have a friend check to see if when they enter your town do they lose snakes as well.

Your snakes that appeared in your town, were they removed from your inventory?
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

I can try to contact someone to test that, if they are on the forums. I don't know any of my neighbors personally. It may take 24 hours to turn that around, of course.

I just wish EA would just put out the real rules and/or admit to some bugs. Companies are so afraid to admit they have bugs, but admitting it is really going to earn more respect. They did it before when they pulled the game originally.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

I can try to contact someone to test that, if they are on the forums. I don't know any of my neighbors personally. It may take 24 hours to turn that around, of course.

I just wish EA would just put out the real rules and/or admit to some bugs. Companies are so afraid to admit they have bugs, but admitting it is really going to earn more respect. They did it before when they pulled the game originally.

See that's my problem, the people who are causing snake hemorrhaging (losing more than 5 snakes when entering their towns) do not post on this forum. So I have no way of contacting them to find out if they are losing snakes in their own towns.
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I must say, lissarv68 is right. I went to all 100 of my friends Springfield's last night and did not lose a single one. I had lost close to 75 snakes before I got my whacking license, but now I just check my total before going into a Springfield and then if it goes down, I can just whack more snakes there.

My order is as follows:
    enter Springfield
    1) drop eggs (it does not matter how many eggs you drop, you can also drop zero)
    2) whack my 5 snakes (plus any that I may have "lost")
    3) click on buildings
    4) check my snakes one last time (never had a problem)
    5) go to next Springfield (I just went back to my friends list and then into the next Springfield. It worked each time)

Thank you lissarv68. I got about 440 snakes (plus the 60 eggs) yesterday
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

What I meant was if you are losing snakes in your town (as in suddenly 5 snakes have vanished from your inventory), have a friend check to see if when they enter your town do they lose snakes as well.

Yeah, see that is what I think Lisa's task is really doing. Someone sends her to your town, it will cause some of your banked snakes to escape in your town, not theirs, and you have to whack them again. No actual loss, with a little work.

I think more than 5 escaping when visiting a town may be a bug. Shouldn't be more than 5, but this is separate from Lisa. We all know EA seems to have issues counting things.
  • heshmonstre
    491 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

That's exactly what I've been trying to find out recently. A lot of people understandably think that the loss relates to how many people have sent Lisa to that town during your visit. Its logical because people are more likely to send Lisa to the towns with bigger snake amounts which means more snake loss would be consistenly high on average when visiting these towns. This also correlates with observations that they lose more snakes in towns with more premium whacking day/ snake generating decorations. However this implies the amounts vary from visit to visit, if only slightly. But obviously your results don't show this
  • username5641
    293 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

Yeah, see that is what I think Lisa's task is really doing. Someone sends her to your town, it will cause some of your banked snakes to escape in your town, not theirs, and you have to whack them again. No actual loss, with a little work.

I think more than 5 escaping when visiting a town may be a bug. Shouldn't be more than 5, but this is separate from Lisa. We all know EA seems to have issues counting things.
    Iron: I'm inclined to agree, especially after the experience above. (What if releasing snakes from visitors only lasted those five hours? Or was somehow related to the number of people who'd sent Lisa to a town?)

Lissa: Seems I misunderstood what you meant by "missing snakes." Mine were there, just released - I had too many for the amount of time I'd been out of the town and was down the five of Lisa's task. You mean people whose counters reset to zero or who wake to fifty fewer snakes?
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

That's exactly what I've been trying to find out recently. A lot of people understandably think that the loss relates to how many people have sent Lisa to that town during your visit. Its logical because people are more likely to send Lisa to the towns with bigger snake amounts which means more snake loss would be consistenly high on average when visiting these towns. This also correlates with observations that they lose more snakes in towns with more premium whacking day/ snake generating decorations. However this implies the amounts vary from visit to visit, if only slightly. But obviously your results don't show this

OOO! Excellent observation, I'm going to check this today. I have noticed that some of the towns where I'm losing massive amounts of snakes are trying. That means that they have tons of everything (either decorations, houses, prem. items) something that makes it really hard to find my snakes again.

The only thing that is varying so far is the ones where I've lost 5 snakes. That seems to be the intended result. It would appear, again guessing here, that the towns where I've lost more than 5 is some sort of bug. Somebody has mentioned that this is because it was supposed to be 5 loss but somehow it got "stuck". That makes sense if you think about it.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    @username

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, it's early and I'm a bit distracted doing mommy duties.

OK so to break it down better:

Town A has lost 5 (or some other number) of snakes out of their inventory while in their own town.

I'm asking that these people who have lost snakes out of their own inventories have a friend check to see if they also lose snakes when entering their towns.

If the town is buggy (losing more than 5 snakes when a person enters that town) is the town owner also noticing snakes vanishing out of their inventory? Is it somehow all correlated?

(For those who want to mock us for trying to figure this out, keep in mind that many of us on here are engineers, computer types, or something that it is our jobs to figure problems out so this is all very interesting. I find it almost more fascinating than the game itself at the moment because I love a good riddle/puzzle)
  • cgeorgepdl
    99 posts
    edited April 2013
    Nobody really has it figured out. I have my theory too, and I believe I'm right as well. Fact is, there's plenty of time to get plenty of snakes! In a week these same people will be complaining again that they're bored and wondering when the next update is coming out! I'm enjoying this update very much- it's a tapping tapper's paradise! Lol. And this is coming from someone who has lost hundreds of snakes.... Just have fun with this update- I guarantee whatever and whenever the next one is, it won't even come close to comparing with this one!
  • heshmonstre
    491 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

OOO! Excellent observation, I'm going to check this today. I have noticed that some of the towns where I'm losing massive amounts of snakes are trying. That means that they have tons of everything (either decorations, houses, prem. items) something that makes it really hard to find my snakes again.

The only thing that is varying so far is the ones where I've lost 5 snakes. That seems to be the intended result. It would appear, again guessing here, that the towns where I've lost more than 5 is some sort of bug. Somebody has mentioned that this is because it was supposed to be 5 loss but somehow it got "stuck". That makes sense if you think about it.
    So do you find that the towns that make you lose a lot always lose the same number of snakes? You said you visit with your friends and theyre finding the same thing? If so this could support the theory that it simply affects some origin accounts. But there are clearly more things going on here. The loss/gain of snakes inconsistency happening when you go back to your own town after visiting friends (probably syncing issue). I think there could be several issues here.

EDIT- but it could also be because these towns have a high volume of activity going on... Or are donut happy. It could be many things. I would have to say that unless you can find something they have in common then it's just a random origin account issue. If not than its something else, but clearly a bug or glitch
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    So do you find that the towns that make you lose a lot always lose the same number of snakes? You said you visit with your friends and theyre finding the same thing? If so this could support the theory that it simply affects some origin accounts. But there are clearly more things going on here. The loss/gain of snakes inconsistency happening when you go back to your own town after visiting friends (probably syncing issue). I think there could be several issues here.

Yeah, it was such a pain going into the -30 towns because I knew I would have to find those stupid snakes again plus my 5. The large number loss has been consistent twice now. Will test it again later today (there are others making notes, feel free to chime in with your results).

I agree, completely, with your statement that there is more than one issue going on. It's why there are variances in these results. However, the fact that so many are doing the steps I've outlined and it's working for them? Shows that at least that one issue is "fixable".

I'm not losing snakes in my town, so I really have no way of testing that and can only make guesses. It's why I've asked for people to find out if the towns where they've lost snakes in when they go into them are also losing snakes in their own towns.

Editing to respond to your edit: I haven't tested the multiple items thing yet, I'm going to pay close attention to that today.
  • heshmonstre
    491 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

Sorry just noticed.. Did you enter the town WHILE someone sent Lisa there or afterwards? Because the snake loss could be happening only during the task.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!