EA Forums - Banner

How you are losing snakes: Explained by testing engineer

Replies

• lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Those who are losing snakes in their own towns, have you had a friend check to see if you are one of the towns where snake loss is occurring?
    I have two towns. Someone sent Lisa to my main town yesterday evening. In the afternoon, the secondary town visited with no snake loss. After Lisa's visit, five snakes were released upon entering. I went back before bed to see if this would replicate and it did - five snakes gone again.

This morning, secondary town entered main town with no snake loss.
    Sorry just noticed.. Did you enter the town WHILE someone sent Lisa there or afterwards? Because the snake loss could be happening only during the task.

She didn't lose snakes, she misunderstood my question. Snakes were released but they didn't vanish from her inventory. I think this is the way it is supposed to work but somehow things are going awry in some towns, perhaps the large number of premium items (decorations, houses....) is a factor. Not sure yet.
  • DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    All I know is I didn't lose any snakes at all yesterday, even though I visited several friend's towns. I was 8 snakes away from obtaining the license at 400, and visited a lvl 27 friends town which was loaded with snakes. I placed 4 eggs in their town, collected from 3 buildings, and returned to my Springfield and had lost like 85 snakes. I didn't so much as touch that persons snakes, so if the theory is correct, that means 17 people had sent Lisa to their town all within the minute or two I was in their town? I have a tough time believing that.

And again, why would they not mention a single word about snakes potentially being lost, or the need to recollect snakes from friends towns (which is ONLY possible once you've managed to get the license at 400 snakes or spend donuts)? That seems like a pretty important piece of the puzzle for us players. And again, I don't doubt to some degree this was intended given Lisa's task, but losing 85 (or in some people's case over 100) in one go seems entirely game-breaking as far as this event is concerned.

I sent a ticket in complaining about this issue, specifically the lack of information regarding snake losses. Complete curveball on EA's part, compounded by some form of glitch which makes the problem MUCH worse.

I really don't understand how as profitable as this game is for EA, they can't be bothered to hire more or better testers and programmers. It's kind of insulting as a customer who's bought almost all of the premium stuff in this game to think this team of developers and programmers are either that unprofessional or simply don't care, and that the higher ups in the company aren't allocating more resources to that team to either hire more or better team members to avoid these problems. It's an iOS/Android game, it's not like we're talking about a PC or console game with far more working parts and coding. It's shameful, it really is. This is a perfect example of why EA was voted Worst Company now for 2 years in a row in Consumerist's poll.
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    If it is a feature, it should be in the rules page warning that sometimes snakes can escape.

But it raises another question, I don't know if this has been answered: what if I pass, say 1000 and unlock gymnastics Lisa, then visit a town and drop back to 998. One way or another I'll pass 1000 again...
  • username5641
    293 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Those who are losing snakes in their own towns, have you had a friend check to see if you are one of the towns where snake loss is occurring?
    I have two towns. Someone sent Lisa to my main town yesterday evening. In the afternoon, the secondary town visited with no snake loss. After Lisa's visit, five snakes were released upon entering. I went back before bed to see if this would replicate and it did - five snakes gone again.

This morning, secondary town entered main town with no snake loss.
    Sorry just noticed.. Did you enter the town WHILE someone sent Lisa there or afterwards? Because the snake loss could be happening only during the task.

She didn't lose snakes, she misunderstood my question. Snakes were released but they didn't vanish from her inventory. I think this is the way it is supposed to work but somehow things are going awry in some towns, perhaps the large number of premium items (decorations, houses....) is a factor. Not sure yet.
    Yes, this. I had five snakes "released" from my snake count into my town, where I was able to whack them again. I keep a close eye on my snakes (paranoia? :shock: ) and had five more in the town than I should have been based on the amount of time since I'd last entered. (I had not entered since before visiting this town with my other town and discovering that it caused visitors' snakes to be released.) I'd not lost the snakes completely; someone had just sent Lisa to my town.

...of course, had I not been keeping so close an eye on things, I might have thought I'd flat-out lost those snakes. The nature of this Lisa task makes it difficult to tell which completelymissing snakes are actually gone and which were released. Fifty snakes gone overnight, as one PP reported, sounds very unlikely to be Lisa, but five or ten overnight may or may not be.

ETA: Hesh, I see your question. I had been playing the secondary town for about 1.5 hours. Before that, I had cleaned out the snakes in the main town. That means that Lisa visited somewhere in that time period. (We've established that the snakes are released immediately, yes?) My second visit to the main town where 5 visitor snakes were also released (before bed), was 2 or 3 hours later, so it could very well have been within the Lisa task timeframe.
    Is that what you were after?

ETA2: Contradictory: Someone sent Lisa to my main town again earlier today. It was less than 5 hours ago, since I was visiting neighbors at the time. I just visited my main town with the secondary town to see if the visitor town would have five snakes released, but no snakes were released this go.
    Weird thing about this is that I had extra snakes released in two back-to-back town visits after (instead of upon) entering the town. To clarify, in town A, I entered with no released snakes, heard the hiss right as I was about to leave, and 1 snake was released. In town B, I entered with 15 snakes released, then heard the hiss again while chasing those down. Not sure how many were released the second time, but I found 3 more. I stopped visiting for a bit after that and returned "home," which is when I saw that Lisa had been by.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    If it is a feature, it should be in the rules page warning that sometimes snakes can escape.

But it raises another question, I don't know if this has been answered: what if I pass, say 1000 and unlock gymnastics Lisa, then visit a town and drop back to 998. One way or another I'll pass 1000 again...

LOL...well....there are a couple of posts with people saying they have two Gymnastics bars. This could be the explanation for that? I have no idea.
  • BGringo
    119 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Lissarv68's methods have worked for me. Tried it for the first time this morning. I netted snakes as a whole lost some in some towns but I was able to recoup them. Only thing that I did was to actually tap the buildings like I normally would too.

I'm generous with my eggs, if I get some in the town, I leave them back, and then if I'm up a few snakes I'll leave a few eggs. I have a friend IRL that we do the bulk of our egg sharing to keep our numbers high. I also keep the snake related tasks going 100% of the time. I think the goals are attainable. The specials in the past would be done within two weeks and that's what everyone is used to.
  • azchristopher
    239 posts
    edited April 2013
    Implantor wrote:
    I've been killing tons of snakes and have noticed that when visiting certain towns, my snake count drops considerably. I.e. I know J had about 500 snakes before visiting one town and then had like 400. When I visited that town again my count dropped to 300!!! This is terrible. I think this has happened with other towns as well and makes me completely afraid to visit friends in fear of randomly losing snakes. At this rate Ill never be able to get the special items. Has anyone else had this happen?

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9437826.page

Yes, everyone is. Pay attention to your snake count. You aren't losing the snakes, they are getting loose. So you will need to tap to get them back.
  • Hurleybird10
    65 posts
    edited April 2013
    Implantor wrote:
    I've been killing tons of snakes and have noticed that when visiting certain towns, my snake count drops considerably. I.e. I know J had about 500 snakes before visiting one town and then had like 400. When I visited that town again my count dropped to 300!!! This is terrible. I think this has happened with other towns as well and makes me completely afraid to visit friends in fear of randomly losing snakes. At this rate Ill never be able to get the special items. Has anyone else had this happen?

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9437826.page

Yes, everyone is. Pay attention to your snake count. You aren't losing the snakes, they are getting loose. So you will need to tap to get them back.

but they get loose and you can click them again, but there no certainty that you well get a snake, ive gone down rececntly as they come back as eggs
  • DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure getting to the final prize (Sleep Easy Motel / Miss Springfield) won't be attainable for most people unless you buy the snake rock/log/etc, and even to get close you'll have to visit all 100 friends everyday (and who really has time for that?). Let alone the fact I lose snakes faster than I gain them (I've also lost more snakes than I have now, and I'm still missing the license at 400 due to occasional HUGE losses). I also log into the game every few hours to whack snakes in my town and try to visit friends without losing huge amounts of snakes. I've found it's safer to visit the lower level people with no or low levels of snakes in their town, especially since without the darn license yet I can't regain any of the snakes I lose.

So yes, maybe later today or tomorrow once I finally get my license I can start recollecting the snakes I lose, but if I have to do that in all 100 friends towns everyday I can see myself going a bit nuts. :)

Seriously, this event was poorly planned and terribly executed. And even if they do fix it, I doubt they'll replenish the huge numbers of lost snakes to people. I know some snakes are meant to be lost, but I've lost over 80 per day on average since I was able to start collecting them, with the exception of yesterday since I was too paranoid to visit any friends towns to drop eggs after losing so many the first couple of days.
  • kelekod
    415 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I just visited some friends today. I think it is related to how fast people are returning. I only lost like 10-20 snakes for the max number of friends. I think this was due to me increasing the whack count in that town. I think since you are only permitted 5 per town, technically you can get more. I think if you go outside this range within the 24 hour period, then it will take 5 since you were only supposed to claim 5. If you took 11-15, I think it will take 10.

I've been in towns where there's only 3 there, I think that's how many total are in that town at the time. I've never seen it drop based on time, but I try to get in and out as fast as possible. I know there were several towns yesterday where I went above 5, and I think I paid for it by visiting the town again today.

I made an effort to only take 5 or less today, so if this is true, I should only lose 5-10 total tomorrow since there was one town I was mad that I lost 5.
    I'm GamerGD3. Lost all 3000+posts for my (now) former name.
  • netfodesuma
    2 posts
    edited April 2013
    I was enjoying the new content, whacking snakes and dropping off eggs. Then, noticed my snakes disappearing drastically! I'm not interested in stealing snakes from friends' neighborhoods, and I cannot seem to tap on snakes when I visit neighbors, though I see them.

I'd like to "unfriend" almost all my friends just to stop the snakes from disappearing - this event seems to discourage visiting neighbors, even though we'd all like to receive eggs. However, I don't even see a way to unfriend in the game.

I'm sure I'm just not getting how the whole event actually works, but for a casual player - the disappearing snakes are frustrating.
  • TKE377
    83 posts
    edited April 2013
    I just went into a friends town and lost 70 snakes....i didnt get back all of them started with 480 leaving with 459...this is nonsense how will i ever unlock everything another crappy promotion by EA
  • DarbCU
    4 posts
    edited April 2013
    I have noticed that if I go to my home town between each friend visit, it will not take any snakes. If I do not go back to my home town, the snake loss seems to get worse with every friend's town I visit.
  • DarbCU
    4 posts
    edited April 2013
    DarbCU wrote:
    I have noticed that if I go to my home town between each friend visit, it will not take any snakes. If I do not go back to my home town, the snake loss seems to get worse with every friend's town I visit.
    Scratch this. It was working when I started at the end of my friend list. The towns at e beginning seem to be taking snakes from me. They used to be listed alphabetically but now they are not
  • Allbury86
    26 posts
    edited April 2013
    earlier i lost 55 snakes in one town and managed to get 32 snakes back and that was it
    then just now i lost 103 snakes in one town and i only got 3 back and no more came out
    like 🎃🎃🎃🎃
  • GetStephen
    51 posts
    edited April 2013
    This is becoming a very long thread and i encourage everyone that wants to understand the "snake loss" issue to read the entire collection of 11+ pages. i just invested over thirty minutes of time re-reading each post.

Please only post if you are contributing something of value with quantitative, first-hand knowledge, without exaggeration or speculation.

Yes, I realize that this post doesn't accomplish any of my requests. :wink:

Thank you Lissa for your dedication to this group, and in particular, this thread. I am certain here are countless hundreds of silent lurkers that are as appreciative as I am. Oops, that was speculation. :wink:

GetStephen
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    GetStephen wrote:
    This is becoming a very long thread and i encourage everyone that wants to understand the "snake loss" issue to read the entire collection of 11+ pages. i just invested over thirty minutes of time re-reading each post.

Please only post if you are contributing something of value with quantitative, first-hand knowledge, without exaggeration or speculation.

Yes, I realize that this post doesn't accomplish any of my requests. :wink:

Thank you Lissa for your dedication to this group, and in particular, this thread. I am certain here are countless hundreds of silent lurkers that are as appreciative as I am. Oops, that was speculation. :wink:

GetStephen

Thank you!

There seems to be a ton of disinformation out there as well as the beginnings of false accusations being made. I have stressed over and over that we will not tolerate that. It is fine to say "a neighbor has consistently taken x number of snakes" but when that neighbor is named? Then we have to remove that post due to TOS violations.

Now back to the experiments, I'm in the middle of my third round of tracking neighbors today and have been paying close attention to some suggestions from Jaffaface and heshmonstre. I will share my findings this evening once I'm done so you guys can compare them with your own results and experiences.
  • missyolga
    942 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

Now back to the experiments, I'm in the middle of my third round of tracking neighbors today and have been paying close attention to some suggestions from Jaffaface and heshmonstre. I will share my findings this evening once I'm done so you guys can compare them with your own results and experiences.

I hope so, 8) Beginning to get really desperate! I did my friendslist! (80 friend). i started with 3129 eggs ( and yes I bought them with donuts,nwhile I am constantly losing snakes ) , and ended up with the glorious number

What a waste of time! Started at 5 pm belgium time and its now 7.30 pm
  • skylarkpilot
    192 posts
    edited April 2013
    Just went very carefully through 60 friends. Did the good neighbour stuff before going into snake hunt mode. Worst loss was 10 snakes and in that town I managed to find and whack 15. Not all came back as snakes, some eggs but numbers wise I lost nothing overall. In every other town I got five snakes or egg/snake mixtures. It took a very long time but it appears to me that whatever you lose on entry can be got back if you're very patient in that town.
    The biggest problem seems to be that the snakes go underneath buildings or behind walls and can be extremely difficult to find.
    I know this game is supposed to be 'life ruiningly funny' but I think EA have now maxed out on that one. Today's play has taken me around four hours. I really cannot do that every day.
    I believe that it may be possible to get somewhere near gaining all the prizes, but eventually I think I shall have to buy doughnuts to complete this update.
    Just today's experience for you...........may be different tomorrow of course !
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    missyolga wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

I hope so, 8) Beginning to get really desperate! I did my friendslist! (80 friend). i started with 3129 eggs ( and yes I bought them with donuts,nwhile I am constantly losing snakes ) , and ended up with the glorious number

What a waste of time! Started at 5 pm belgium time and its now 7.30 pm

Didn't you just get your license? I think the odds get better the more you go. Do you mean you had that many snakes? I've been getting a high number of eggs lately, not helping my snake count at all but people who aren't tracking the number of eggs may not realize it?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!