EA Forums - Banner

How you are losing snakes: Explained by testing engineer

Replies

• redec69
    185 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    It seems (to me) to be related to how much time you spend in a friend's town....I've been watching and when I enter a friends town I lose 15 snakes after about 10 secs....and then just leave it, don't click anything you can watch your snakes disappear 15 at a time, every minute or so. It does also seem to be related to how long the app has been running (memory leak maybe?)... When starting through my friends list it was only the odd friend that would cause it (and only friends that have a lot of stuff)....by the end every single friend that would do it.

On a personal note this is soooooo frustrating....I just spent 2 hours whacking snakes just to break even. I feel so ripped off its not even remotely funny...GRRRRR
  • missyolga
    942 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    missyolga wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

Now back to the experiments, I'm in the middle of my third round of tracking neighbors today and have been paying close attention to some suggestions from Jaffaface and heshmonstre. I will share my findings this evening once I'm done so you guys can compare them with your own results and experiences.

I hope so, 8) Beginning to get really desperate! I did my friendslist! (80 friend). i started with 3129 eggs ( and yes I bought them with donuts,nwhile I am constantly losing snakes ) , and ended up with the glorious number

What a waste of time! Started at 5 pm belgium time and its now 7.30 pm

Didn't you just get your license? I think the odds get better the more you go. Do you mean you had that many snakes? I've been getting a high number of eggs lately, not helping my snake count at all but people who aren't tracking the number of eggs may not realize it?

Yes, that the second thing you get? It seems snakes are not for me :(, I am so happy in the morning when i see some eggs in my town. Thats why i bought the stuff, it is really hard this way to get snakes! The only one I am sure off, are the snakes in my town, but once i go visiting, they are,leaving me :shock: Sniffff
  • missyolga
    942 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    redec69 wrote:
    It seems (to me) to be related to how much time you spend in a friend's town....I've been watching and when I enter a friends town I lose 15 snakes after about 10 secs....and then just leave it, don't click anything you can watch your snakes disappear 15 at a time, every minute or so. It does also seem to be related to how long the app has been running (memory leak maybe?)... When starting through my friends list it was only the odd friend that would cause it (and only friends that have a lot of stuff)....by the end every single friend that would do it.

On a personal note this is soooooo frustrating....I just spent 2 hours whacking snakes just to break even. I feel so ripped off its not even remotely funny...GRRRRR

I feel the same, it is now just a waste of time !
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    redec69 wrote:

Interesting... I wonder if like regular snakes are released every 8 minutes, maybe while visiting friends, some of your snakes escape at the same rate.

Also was wondering if there was any correlation between buying snakes with donuts and larger loses. I've not yet had more than 5 escape at a time, and got them all back (ignoring that some end up being eggs). However, I've not spent donuts on snakes, only the log/trunk stuff and other decorations.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Today's observations from visiting my neighbors, I've visited half so far (35 out of 70);

I've been keeping track for three rounds now and the first two rounds the same neighbors took snakes everytime, the same amount. This time around things were a little different.

Last two times 10 out of the 35 took snakes, this time 7 out of the 35 took snakes. Only 3 of those were the same people but now things are about to get interesting.

Jaffaface had mentioned that he'd noticed an odd thing going on with the friends list, it kept shifting around. I started paying attention to that. I was stroking along, amazed that I actually made it to 8 neighbors (two pages...) without a problem. Then I was approaching the 3rd page, the one that contains a neighbor that took 30 snakes two days in a row.

I went into the problem town and was stunned that I didn't lose any snakes. I exited that town and CRASH, my game went down.

I restarted the app, went back into the game, synched and then went back to the friends list. I noticed that this group was now shifted. The very next town took 15 snakes, the next one in that group took 10.

Went on to the next couple of groupings, they were in the right order....made it a couple of pages when I noticed a grouping was not in the right order. It seems that the middle ones are the ones getting swapped. The first and last town stay the same.

So I exited the game after synching, I restarted the app, I went back in...I synched again and the names were back in order BUT....I lost snakes in the middle towns that had been swapped before and that trend continued.

Everytime I lost snakes, it was the towns that were not in the right order.

So now I am asking for you guys to write down the list of your friends towns and pay attention to the order, make note if the names get out of order and if you lose snakes in those towns. There is nothing you can do to change this, I've tried but at least you will know (if this proves to be true) that you are about to lose snakes.

Sorry for the length of this post, lol....but I had tons to share.
  • missyolga
    942 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    But the list is already in disorder :), and I have it already with the first townn I enter, the one after other springfield, then the second took more snakes than the first one, the 3rd town had opnoy 1 snake... And so one!
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    missyolga wrote:
    But the list is already in disorder :), and I have it already with the first townn I enter, the one after other springfield, then the second took more snakes than the first one, the 3rd town had opnoy 1 snake... And so one!

Yes, they are out of alphabetical order but they stay in the order they are in now. I know because before I get started, I go through and write down the name of every town. Then I go back and enter the towns.

I noticed that the towns taking my snakes were the ones that were no longer in order. So far it has been the middle towns, they were swapped.

Before you go into the towns, write the order down. Then do it again tomorrow, notice if they have changed order. Check if those are the towns taking the snakes.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    What is the time limit between daily visits? I started visiting yesterday @6pm and finished close to 10pm. When should I start visiting today?
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    What is the time limit between daily visits? I started visiting yesterday @6pm and finished close to 10pm. When should I start visiting today?

24 hours, I can never find snakes if I visit before that time frame.
  • edited April 2013
    So I'll be honest upfront, I haven't read all 11 pages here, so I don't know if anyone has talked about this before or not.

I've read a lot on here about how people are losing so many snakes visiting friends, and also read how people are complaining it takes so long to find snakes in other people's towns. I can't say I've ever had that problem to be honest, I've been getting in and out of towns pretty quickly so far.

However, this all got me to thinking about the glitch, when on a couple of occasions I lost snakes in increments of 5, and this occurred after I had to spend a bit longer in a town. I've been testing this a bit this morning and will continue when I can visit more friends again, but from my experiences testing so far the snake losses, at least for me, appear to be time related and occur I'm increments of 5 snakes.

I've noticed when I'm in and out of a town quickly, I lose no snakes (which is usually the case). However, if I spend a bit longer in friend x's town, I've noticed that when I visit friend y next, I've lost 5 snakes but there are 5 extra snakes in friend y's town, in essence my 5 snakes were released into the next town. Further, I've tried leaving the game open in a friend's town for longer periods, and when I visit the next town I had, for instance, a snake loss of 15 (still increments of 5), but all of those snakes were available to be whacked in the next town like usual.

I'll be testing this more this afternoon, and trying to figure out how long exactly it takes for the snake loss to occur, but just thought his might help or if others also want to try it.
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    @Ghost...
    Every time I visited a town and snakes escaped, the count was down immediately on entering. When I enter a town, I've been clicking the whack button first thing to check counts and start grabbing snakes.

But I think lissarv68 is probably onto something. I think I recall similar issue with towns moving.

Also, I get this town called Return Home, which as the name would imply, takes me back to my own town, as if it were a neighbor. Very weird.., although that didn't seem to cause any escapes.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013

But I think lissarv68 is probably onto something. I think I recall similar issue with towns moving.

We need people to test this, it is pretty much proof that it is a glitch within the order of the towns causing this. We've mostly figured out a work around but this could be an indicator that the town is about to take snakes.

Also....there are multiple issues at play here. This does not account for the snakes going missing within a person's own town, I can't test that because it's not happening to me.
  • edited April 2013
    @Iron

Th same thing happens to me, the loss is immediately upon entering a town, what I was trying to say is that from what I've seen, that loss appears to be based on how long you spent in the PREVIOUS town. If I spent a long time in a friends town then go to my own town again, the loss doesn't appear to happen.

I will continue to test this, and try to determine the exact times losses occur at, if that is indeed the case
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

We need people to test this, it is pretty much proof that it is a glitch within the order of the towns causing this. We've mostly figured out a work around but this could be an indicator that the town is about to take snakes.

Also....there are multiple issues at play here. This does not account for the snakes going missing within a person's own town, I can't test that because it's not happening to me.

I will tonight. Speaking of snakes missing in own town...

An hour+ ago, I had left my town with 2007 snakes (got my rocks!). This time I came back in and was down to 1992!!! But there were definitely more free-roaming snakes than there should be. Now I'm back to 2013 (some were eggs, of course). I did not get snake rocks again when re-passing 2000, though :( Before going past 2000, my prize list still showed my next target as 3000.

I think I have 3 neighbors who may have sent Lisa to my town, freeing my snakes for me to find again. Question is, does she release 5 only once, or does she release 5 every time I come back while she's on the clock? Will see in an hour, cuz previous time I wasn't down any.
    EDIT: After the hour, I didn't have any escaped snakes. So if Lisa was hitting my town, she may only release one time.

FYI... it's too nice to be sitting here doing all this computer/game stuff. Why am I not outside? Why did softball have to be canceled? Stupid wet fields!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • IronWaffle5x5
    661 posts
    edited April 2013
    @Iron

Th same thing happens to me, the loss is immediately upon entering a town, what I was trying to say is that from what I've seen, that loss appears to be based on how long you spent in the PREVIOUS town. If I spent a long time in a friends town then go to my own town again, the loss doesn't appear to happen.

I will continue to test this, and try to determine the exact times losses occur at, if that is indeed the case

I see.. There was another post suggesting there is a period of time after which snakes will escape, similar to how 1 shows every 8 minutes in one's own town. So it may not be directly related to time spent in any given town, but just a regular interval. Something to keep track of.
  • spiril1212
    141 posts
    edited April 2013
    GetStephen wrote:
    This is becoming a very long thread and i encourage everyone that wants to understand the "snake loss" issue to read the entire collection of 11+ pages. i just invested over thirty minutes of time re-reading each post.

Please only post if you are contributing something of value with quantitative, first-hand knowledge, without exaggeration or speculation.

Yes, I realize that this post doesn't accomplish any of my requests. :wink:

Thank you Lissa for your dedication to this group, and in particular, this thread. I am certain here are countless hundreds of silent lurkers that are as appreciative as I am. Oops, that was speculation. :wink:

GetStephen

:thumbup:

Lissa, I think you're definitely onto something with the swapped towns.
    I have created a few extra Springfields to act as my egg donors and I have noticed that in the friend screen for these towns my primary town is always listed first. That is second after Other Springfield, top right.
    Except today my primary town was listed third, bottom left. And when I visited this town 5 snakes were released. This happened for two separate accounts; for both the friend screen was scrambled and there were 5 snakes released when visiting my primary town, 10 to be whacked.
    When I logged in to my primary town right after this I saw my snake count had dropped by 5. They were probably around to be rewhacked, there were a lot of snakes.

Another odd thing I noticed at the same time is that one of the donor towns had a negative egg count for a while. :?:
    From the donor town I went to my primary town to drop off eggs (this is when 5 snakes were released). After unloading all the eggs I started whacking snakes and I noticed my egg count was -4. No idea when it happened. I whacked a snake which gave me an egg and the counter didn't change. I dropped the egg and the counter went to -5.
    Out of curiosity I tried to drop more eggs but it said I didn't have any. Then I went back to the hometown and the egg counter was reset to 0 like it should be. Weird.
    I don't know if this is related to the scrambled towns (scrambled eggs?). I went to drop eggs in my primary town from another donor town but I couldn't reproduce the negative eggs. Snakes got released though.
  • devdoctor
    52 posts
    edited April 2013
    I haven't checked the forums since Friday so not sure if others have made this observation but this is what I discovered over the past couple of days.

I finally got my whacking license by not visiting any other towns and concentrating on my own. I didn't lose any snakes at that point. Once I got my license, I started visiting other towns carefully. I would immediately go to baton mode to see if i lost any snakes. If I did not, I whacked as usual and then planted eggs. If I lost snakes I was able to whack and try to get enough back to make up for what I lost. Unfortunately, those towns rarely had more than 5 snakes to whack, so I usually lost out. Most of the towns now seem to be fine. In no town did I click on any buildings.

My theory therefore is that it's a glitch in the whacking license. If you don't have the license, it's more likely you will lose by visiting other towns. Even once you have it, if you visit a town where THAT owner doesn't have a license, you will lose snakes also. This is the only explanation that seems to make any sense, at lest for me. I haven't lost any snakes in my own town so I can only assume this has something to do with other purchases those owners made.

So my suggestion is to talk to each other to find out who has a whacking license and only visit those towns until the others get their license. Those who don't have your license, don't visit anyone until you have it.

I still don't think it will be possible to earn 12,000 snakes in just two weeks without spending lots of doughnuts, but at least by following my process above I've earned almost 700 in just 36 hours. A lot better than I was doing before Good luck everyone else.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    @spiril121 - scrambled eggs.....bwwahaaahaaa lol.

I have not read anybody posting about this before, interesting.

I visited another 15 neighbors and the scrambling theory is holding true. If I enter the town and lose snakes, I find them all and then exit the town. Then I compare the order of those four towns to the order from yesterday and it's always jumbled.

I have to do that when the town is the first one in the grouping and I can't see if the towns scrambled or not. It's easier when you go into the first town in the grouping of four....come out....and see that the middle towns have swapped places.

So far, every time this happens? I am losing snakes in one of those towns in that grouping (it's not always the one that moved positions though!!).

Definitely needs more testing to see if this yet another bug or correlated to the lost snakes.

For those not wanting to read the 11 some odd pages....my new discoveries are basically I'm noticing that in the grouping of four towns, if they have shifted positions? I am losing snakes in at least one of those towns (sometimes three towns in that grouping). If the towns have not shifted positions? I am not losing any snakes.
  • GouldEA
    26 posts
    edited April 2013
    This whacking day snake loss * is a joke, I went down around 50 snakes once after a login. 1650 down to 1600. A few hours before that I was collecting snakes from towns, there was a time where I was actually getting no snakes at all. I lost like 5, 5, 5, 10 snakes in a row losing more then what I could replace, then for another 30 mins or so, at least after every 2nd town I was losing 5 snakes. Easily lost 100 in that time. Hardly got time to play this game and to reach my quota for the day to get the 12500 before event ends is looking like its not going to happen.
  • Double_Density
    60 posts
    edited April 2013
    The worst thing about this whole mess to me is that when the snakes "get away", even if you recapture them, a fair number will be converted from snakes to eggs. I already get more eggs than I can give away. I had snakes, I want snakes back!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!