EA Forums - Banner

New monorail stations are popping up everywhere

Prev1
When Melbourne's new underground railway is finally completed in 2026, one question must be asked: is there a chance the track could bend?

About 28,000 suggestions have already been lodged in the first month of the competition to name the Australian city's five newest underground stops.

And it seems Melburnians with a chance to name a train station is like the mule with a spinning wheel: no-one knows how they got it and damned if they know how to use it.

After author George R.R. Martin gave his thumbs up to a Game of Thrones station earlier this month, people are now taking ideas from another piece of pop culture: the all-time classic Simpsons episode, Marge vs. the Monorail.

For those who haven't seen it (fix that), Springfield builds an expensive (and faulty) monorail after singing conman Lyle Lanley whips up the townsfolk into backing the dated idea.

Some of the suggestions for Melbourne's newest stops - currently known as Arden, Parkville, CBD North, CBD South and Domain - include Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, the other cities sold a monorail by Lanley (and by gum it put them on the map).

"Station names referencing popular culture, including The Simpsons, have been popular," a Melbourne Metro Authority spokesperson said.

"Simpsons fans are trying to get Springfield on the map by suggesting names from the iconic monorail episode for the Metro Tunnel stations."

Other Simpsons ideas include Matlock (Abe Simpson's favourite TV show), Capital City and Evergreen Terrace.

While single-track aficionados may be chanting "monorail, monorail, monorail", it's unlikely any of the ideas will make it to the final cut.

The Melbourne Metro Authority's rules for naming the new stations state that suggestions should reflect the history of the local area and iconic locations nearby.

Maybe it's more of a Shelbyville idea.

Those who wish to take part in the competition have until October 22 to submit their thoughts metrotunnel.vic.gov.au.

An advisory panel will compile a shortlist for each station for the Victorian government's consideration.

The authority said submissions had been coming in from more than 50 countries, including the UK, US, Colombia, Iran, Finland, Myanmar and Brazil.

Simpsons-inspired suggestions for Melbourne's five new stations

ARDEN
* Brockway
* Springfield
* Matlock

PARKVILLE
* Ogdenville
* Monorail
* Shelbyville

CBD NORTH
* North Haverbrook
* Sector 7G
* Shelbyville

CBD SOUTH
* Lyle Lanley
* Capital City
* South Haverbrook

DOMAIN
* Main Street
* Evergreen Terrace
* Screamville

- The Age

Replies

• :D:D:D

This actually made me lol. I'd totally catch a train to screamville :p
  • petehd14
    2769 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Are you going to change your currency to the dollarydoo? It would be so much easier than saying "the Australian dollar" all the time.
  • petehd14 wrote: »
    Are you going to change your currency to the dollarydoo? It would be so much easier than saying "the Australian dollar" all the time.
    given that I live across the ditch from the aussies .... who knows?

They are more likely to call it the dollary.

given that I live across the ditch from the aussies .... who knows?

They are more likely to call it the dollary.

giphy.gif

I'm a Brit living in Australia. Among friends I say dollarydoos and so far no one has corrected me. I don't say it to officials or people I need to approve something I want though... yet. That's the next test.

I'm a Brit living in Australia. Among friends I say dollarydoos and so far no one has corrected me. I don't say it to officials or people I need to approve something I want though... yet. That's the next test.

I approve of this test.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.

• I'm a Brit living in Australia. Among friends I say dollarydoos and so far no one has corrected me. I don't say it to officials or people I need to approve something I want though... yet. That's the next test.

As someone born and raised in Australia I can tell you I have said dollarydoo many times. As do my co-workers, and we work for the state. There was even a survey a few years back asking if we should change the name of our currency to dollarydoos. We really shouldn't have the right to vote on anything.

• DForDoink wrote: »

As someone born and raised in Australia I can tell you I have said dollarydoo many times. As do my co-workers, and we work for the state. There was even a survey a few years back asking if we should change the name of our currency to dollarydoos. We really shouldn't have the right to vote on anything.

Your country should be the official English language rule makers.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.

The fact we're the only country voting on marriage equality is probably a good indicator of why this country is sitting at the kids table at the party. One day we'll be allowed to do adulty things :D
  • Dougie_Powers_17
    2311 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    simp7fan wrote: »
    DForDoink wrote: »

Your country should be the official English language rule makers.

You thought it was confusing with Americans and English trying to work out words on here... those guys wear thongs on their feet!!...
    You just had to look didn't ya!...

Hello mate. I visited Australia last November and after about three weeks, I was ready to stay. Maybe apply for political asylum? B)
    Everything impressed me except for the vegemite. :unamused:
  • moxxee wrote: »

Hello mate. I visited Australia last November and after about three weeks, I was ready to stay. Maybe apply for political asylum? B)

I like Marmite, and Vegemite just isn't the same.

I like Marmite, and Vegemite just isn't the same.

I'll eat both, but Marmite is best :p
  • I was wondering how long it would take for this to get moved to off-topic... :lol:
  • I was wondering how long it would take for this to get moved to off-topic... :lol:

Never long once @moxxee has been :D

longer than I thought
  • johncolombo
    11238 posts Senior Moderator
    Yeah I left in game discussion to be polite for a day or so but it's really more about Australia than the game. Interesting thread but I was housecleaning. Hope OP doesn't mind too much.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • Yeah I left in game discussion to be polite for a day or so but it's really more about Australia than the game. Interesting thread but I was housecleaning. Hope OP doesn't mind too much.
    Judging by his reply to me above your post, I would think not :smiley:
  • Yeah I left in game discussion to be polite for a day or so but it's really more about Australia than the game. Interesting thread but I was housecleaning. Hope OP doesn't mind too much.

There's still the dusting to do, and the windows. You know every time I get a call telling me there is a problem with my windows they always refuse to come round and rectify it by cleaning them!

Come on mate, if you don't like Vegemite you won't last out here. Our diggers died for that spread. Nothing like Vegemite on toast for brekky, then throwing some snags on the barbie in the arvo. ;)