Replies

• 0Brooders0 wrote: »
    Had a sneaky Snickers bar today B)
    Where’s mine?
    Where’s mine?

In my tummy :p
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
    0Brooders0 wrote: »
    Where’s mine?

In my tummy :p
    It can stay there :lol:
  • dove-milk-chocolate-133780-ic.jpg
    this is good stuff
  • empathy77 wrote: »
    dove-milk-chocolate-133780-ic.jpg
    this is good stuff
    I’ve not seen them before
  • That’s why I’ve not seen that range before (dove chocolate) as it’s sold as Galaxy over here
  • Dougie_Powers_17
    2323 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    That’s why I’ve not seen that range before (dove chocolate) as it’s sold as Galaxy over here

We have the Dove deodorant range though so I'd probably think they're little bars of soap or something...:lol:

Ok... so I've just seen this... Nestle have introduced 'Orange only' giant smartie tubes

Prc_56931540.jpg

I don't care how old I am and how much I try to avoid and hate shopping at Walmart UK (aka Asda) I guess they're gonna get a visit from me some time soon...

All my life I've always enjoyed smarties by eating every other colour first and saving the orange ones until last.. so it's treat time.. Yum Yum!
    Post edited by Dougie_Powers_17 on
    You just had to look didn't ya!...
  • @Dougie_Powers_17 they originated in 1956 in Chicargo from a sweet shop called Dove candies and ice cream. Over here i think it changed its name due to the Dove toiletries being launched a year before Dove chocolate was launched and didn’t want to confuse people. They are exactly the same products just a different name.

I saw the orange smarties the other day but totally forgot to post on here about them.
  • Dougie_Powers_17
    2323 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    @Dougie_Powers_17 they originated in 1956 in Chicargo from a sweet shop called Dove candies and ice cream. Over here i think it changed its name due to the Dove toiletries being launched a year before Dove chocolate was launched and didn’t want to confuse people. They are exactly the same products just a different name.

I saw the orange smarties the other day but totally forgot to post on here about them.

I loathe shopping there, last time I went in was January when I was buying some Christmas cake bars that were 75% off, even then and it was, in, buy them and only them, out... Only other time this year was when my eldest daughter wanted something from there, but she was spending her money, so doesn't count... :lol: It was only through seeing an article in a local newspaper just before I posted that I'd become aware of it...

Thanks for the info too, I was vaguely aware of the Dove chocolate brand being with Galaxy due to bargain shops sometimes having those bars in stores due to one reason or another

EDIT: Just looked it up, re-importation was the word I was looking for, where chocolate made here was sent to another country but then returned and subsequently sold on to bargain shops due to issues such as short-dated stock, etc..

And as it happened, I bought a 4-pack of Ripples and a 4-pack of Galaxy bars today because they were £1 each... and treated myself to some Lindor Orange Chocolate bars at £1.50 for 4...
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    We have Dove toiletries in America as well. I guess we know better than to eat soap. ;) I have to look up almost every candy that you talk about because I have no idea what they are. Almost all of them have an American equivalent.
  • Oh yes, forgot all about smarties.

I used to love Minstrels.....haven't seen them over here
  • I'm not sure I want soap in my mouth...

Even though it gets dirty sometimes >:)
  • @Dougie_Powers_17 not been Asda for a while only because of people can’t pay attention to where they are going so I shop at the co op by us it’s way smaller and no morons shop there. But on the downside it’s limited on what they sell chocolate wise so in a way I regret not going to Asda. :lol:

@0Brooders0 :lol:

@meinaz we roughly have the same chocolate but under different names.

@SquirrelLadd I’ve not had minstrels in ages
  • Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • Took my eldest daughter shopping today, (she's actually not my real daughter but have brought her up from being a toddler so despite the fact she knows all about her real dad and met him, I'm still 'Dad')

Anyway, she's almost 21, with a job and living in her own place, but I digress, it's what she bought that made me remember something I was going to post..

She bought these..
    305074-Frys-3pk-Turkish-Delight1.jpg

Which reminded me of the story I was going to tell, so here it is..

My first memories of a chocolate drawer came from when I was a little boy who used to travel a few miles to visit his gran every Sunday, long story short, at the end of the day, she would open her little under counter fridge, open the bottom drawer, which was always full of multipacks of chocolate and then allow me to chose a few for the week ahead, I could have anything I wanted... except for one thing... the Turkish Delights... they were for her and no-one else..

Occasionally I managed to talk my way into having one and I used to see it as a special treat and they taste so nice and were so good... throughout my life since, I have always loved those, but always made sure it was an occasional treat, which leads me to today, seeing my eldest buy those made me think about how I wouldn't let my children eat them and occasionally relented (they were expensive at the time for some reason) so wonder if she likes them because, same as me, they were highly regarded as an exceptional treat or does she just happen to love them..

Conversation turned to Malteasers as well and whilst I'm confused and don't have a real favourite chocolate, when quizzed, I often cite Malteasers as my go to treat, which made me think that the Turkish delight and Malteasers are more favourable than other chocolate, but again, I like a lot of other chocolate too, so I guess those are my 'special treat' items...

Anyway, this thread isn't supposed to be just about my stories, but it has certainly made me think about a few things and had me drooling at times.. :lol:
  • Took my eldest daughter shopping today, (she's actually not my real daughter but have brought her up from being a toddler so despite the fact she knows all about her real dad and met him, I'm still 'Dad')

Anyway, she's almost 21, with a job and living in her own place, but I digress, it's what she bought that made me remember something I was going to post..

She bought these..
    305074-Frys-3pk-Turkish-Delight1.jpg

Which reminded me of the story I was going to tell, so here it is..

My first memories of a chocolate drawer came from when I was a little boy who used to travel a few miles to visit his gran every Sunday, long story short, at the end of the day, she would open her little under counter fridge, open the bottom drawer, which was always full of multipacks of chocolate and then allow me to chose a few for the week ahead, I could have anything I wanted... except for one thing... the Turkish Delights... they were for her and no-one else..

Occasionally I managed to talk my way into having one and I used to see it as a special treat and they taste so nice and were so good... throughout my life since, I have always loved those, but always made sure it was an occasional treat, which leads me to today, seeing my eldest buy those made me think about how I wouldn't let my children eat them and occasionally relented (they were expensive at the time for some reason) so wonder if she likes them because, same as me, they were highly regarded as an exceptional treat or does she just happen to love them..

Conversation turned to Malteasers as well and whilst I'm confused and don't have a real favourite chocolate, when quizzed, I often cite Malteasers as my go to treat, which made me think that the Turkish delight and Malteasers are more favourable than other chocolate, but again, I like a lot of other chocolate too, so I guess those are my 'special treat' items...

Anyway, this thread isn't supposed to be just about my stories, but it has certainly made me think about a few things and had me drooling at times.. :lol:

I had Chocolate.

The End.

My story is not as elaborate, but that is because it is filled with trouble and turmoil I'd rather forget, that one year without chocolate....I implore you, do not make me relive that.
  • I love Frys Turkish delight ..havent had one for years.
    Also maltesers....one of my favourites.
    They make whoppers here which loom the same but don't taste the same
  • Had a cheeky mint aero bar on the way back from the shops B)
    Had a cheeky mint aero bar on the way back from the shops B)

I see you probably haven't got one for me so

tenor.gif
    Had a cheeky mint aero bar on the way back from the shops B)

I see you probably haven't got one for me so

tenor.gif

Oh but I have! Just trying to work out how to fit it in the laptop drive to post it here :)