EA Forums - Banner

Does anyone else take magnesium? (supplements or spray)

Earlier this year I had a lot of muscle pain, which is one of the symptoms of menopause . I was wondering how many know about the benefits of magnesium or associated problems if a person is deficient from this mineral.
Here are a couple of extracts about magnesium deficiency from wiki:
57% of the US population does not meet the US RDA for dietary intake of magnesium.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include hyperexcitability, muscular symptoms (cramps, tremor, fasciculations, spasms, tetany, weakness), fatigue, loss of appetite, apathy, confusion, insomnia, irritability, poor memory, and reduced ability to learn. Moderate to severe magnesium deficiency can cause tingling or numbness, heart changes, rapid heartbeat, continued muscle contractions, nausea, vomiting, personality changes, delirium, hallucinations, low calcium levels, low serum potassium levels, retention of sodium, low circulating levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH) and potentially death from heart failure.
Some more info about magnesium:
39WnGXPl.jpg
WUKCFFWl.jpg
Magnesium is a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme systems that regulate diverse biochemical reactions in the body, including protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, and blood pressure regulation.
I have found it has helped me immensely and I am now pain free. Note that taking supplements and/or using a spray (which is absorbed through the skin) may not be suitable for people with low blood pressure or kidney problems.

Replies

• pepsimax1984
    959 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Is Iron deficiency the same as magnesium deficiency or is it something else? I’m fatigued guite often my GP has said am low in iron but never given me anything for it.
  • meinaz
    4786 posts Member
    Iron and magnesium are different metals and are required for different things. Iron is needed by the blood cells to help supply oxygen to the body. If it gets to low, it can lead to fatigue. Add more iron rich food into you diet such as meats, spinach or beans. There are also iron supplements.
    I support LPN. Keep the walkthroughs here.
  • meinaz wrote: »
    Iron and magnesium are different metals and are required for different things. Iron is needed by the blood cells to help supply oxygen to the body. If it gets to low, it can lead to fatigue. Add more iron rich food into you diet such as meats, spinach or beans. There are also iron supplements.
    Ok thanks. I’ve been thinking of getting iron supplements for a while and not sure which to get.
  • meinaz
    4786 posts Member
    You can get too much iron which also has bad side effects, so don't over do it.
    I support LPN. Keep the walkthroughs here.
    Yeah I know I’ll probably speak to my local pharmacist for advice.

You are so right...I was taking an iron supplement because I'm anemic and I ended up in the hospital.
    Doctor said no more iron pills.
  • Yeah too much iron isn't good at all.

I tend towards iron deficiency anemia - which leads to me feeling fatigued and getting migraines. I've needed a few iron injections in my time..... Luckily I seem to be on top of it these days.
  • The men's supplements usually remove iron or have very little iron in it. Women tends to need more as they lose some periodically.
  • When I got prescribed a form of blood pressure medication from the group known as calcium channel blockers I started to get some muscle cramps and pains so bought myself a calcium + magnesium + vitamin D supplement. It helped, but then even for prescribed medications 30% of the effect is placebo effect.

Probably best to talk to your pharmacist.
  • I get as much in food as possible but still take a supplement and make my own magnesium chloride oil, which I have in a spray bottle and also mix into a lotion. Adding the oil with a lotion or hand cream will take the sting out. In time the skin should get used to it if you prefer to use it as a spray.
    It absorbs best if rubbed into the soles of the feet or the back of your legs before bed.
    You can google recipes for Magnesium oil and lotions. Saves tons of cash and you will always have a fresh supply.