EA Forums - Banner

Why can't I get the Halloween update on my iPod Touch 2nd generation?

Idk, but they did. There isn't a work around for it.

Replies

• lil-lulu-1986
    11 posts
    edited October 2012
    I know how you feel. It sucks. I haven't been able to play since the Halloween update and I really don't understand why. It doesn't seem fair. Maybe Apple and EA are working together to make money and screw people over.
  • tfcgodfather
    25 posts
    edited October 2012
    Idk, but they did. There isn't a work around for it.
    It's sad because ANYONE can play the game ITSELF but the UPDATE needs a different IOS.

How is that fair? :(
  • tfcgodfather
    25 posts
    edited October 2012
    I know how you feel. It sucks. I haven't been able to play since the Halloween update and I really don't understand why. It doesn't seem fair. Maybe Apple and EA are working together to make money and screw people over.
    Yeah they want me to dish out more money on another Apple product but I won't.

I still want a way to at least get those additional characters even without all of the 'pomp and circumstance' with the huge Halloween update.

Sad but I have a feeling there will also be another update and for Christmas and yet again, us with iPod Touch 2nd or lower will once again get screwed. :cry:
  • Zatoichi5
    19 posts
    edited October 2012
    It was going to happen sometimes. Just imagine a pc. Can ones that are low model machines five years ago play Skyrim? Unfortunately for you, this happened. More and more apps will be like this. You could buy a refurb 4th gen for newer apps...

Edit: Word change
  • tfcgodfather
    25 posts
    edited October 2012
    Sadly but I might have to do that and that's just wrong.

Why make it playable for everyone but on the newest upgrade, only certain people can play? Where is the sense there?
  • Jbennett4624
    275 posts
    edited October 2012
    Why did Apple screw me and the others that want to get the Halloween update but you need an IOS 4.2.1 and they failed to let us on 2nd gen get that and this Halloween upgrade needs that. I seriously don't want to shell out more money on another Apple device, lol.

Is there some way where the Halloween upgrade could still have the new characters for us on 2nd gen or lower without all the extra pomp and circumstance on the 4.2.1 version?

It needs 4.3 or higher I believe.. Just upgrade it ..then
  • edited October 2012

Why make it playable for everyone but on the newest upgrade, only certain people can play? Where is the sense there?

It is sensible to have it playable for the older IOS. EA makes more money the more people that play the game. It's a matter of balancing R&D time/money for support of IOS vs possible profits.
  • Jbennett4624
    275 posts
    edited October 2012

It is sensible to have it playable for the older IOS. EA makes more money the more people that play the game. It's a matter of balancing R&D time/money for support of IOS vs possible profits.

might be unfair.. but technology and life goes forward.. sorry :mrgreen:
  • nickjuly4
    38 posts
    edited October 2012
    It's because of Apple's pointless removal of ARMv6 support (iPhone 2G/3G and iPod Touch 1G/2G use this processor type) on XCode (the program used to create iOS apps) 4.5 as well as any iOS that supports it, so it only supports compiling code for iOS 4.3 or higher. Since the only version of XCode that supports the new iPhone 5 (and iPod Touch 5G) 4-inch screen is version 4.5, EA had to drop support for any iOS below iOS 4.3 to support the new screens.

EA could release another version of the app that's compiled with an older XCode with the iOS target set to what it was before, but I'm not sure if they'll do that. I've also heard of a trick to compiling code for ARMv6 for use with XCode 4.5, but I don't think EA would bother with that and Apple probably wouldn't like that anyways.

So the main blame can be pointed at Apple and their pointless declarations of obsoletion and not giving developers a choice to easily target older iOS versions if they want to.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited October 2012
    nickjuly4 wrote:
    It's because of Apple's pointless removal of ARMv6 support (iPhone 2G/3G and iPod Touch 1G/2G use this processor type) on XCode (the program used to create iOS apps) 4.5 as well as any iOS that supports it, so it only supports compiling code for iOS 4.3 or higher. Since the only version of XCode that supports the new iPhone 5 (and iPod Touch 5G) 4-inch screen is version 4.5, EA had to drop support for any iOS below iOS 4.3 to support the new screens.

EA could release another version of the app that's compiled with an older XCode with the iOS target set to what it was before, but I'm not sure if they'll do that. I've also heard of a trick to compiling code for ARMv6 for use with XCode 4.5, but I don't think EA would bother with that and Apple probably wouldn't like that anyways.

So the main blame can be pointed at Apple and their pointless declarations of obsoletion and not giving developers a choice to easily target older iOS versions if they want to.

I always assumed this issue had more to do with Apple than with EA, but thanks for this excellent post.
  • icekiller158
    14 posts
    edited October 2012
    NOTES:
    - Play on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch 3 (3rd generation) or iPod touch (4th generation).
    - You must have an Internet connection to play, so please make sure your device is connected.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-simpsons-tapped-out/id497595276?mt=8
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!