EA Forums - Banner

My take on the update—an OT conversation. And voodoo thread.

Prev13456710
moxxee
7717 posts Member
edited November 2017
Dear OT,

Decided to put this here, because it’s OT and the conversations here usually take a different vibe. :) Also, a lot of us have been here since the beginning, and might have a different perspective on the game and as to where it’s headed. And because derailment is fun! Anyhoo...feel free to chime in!

My take on the update:

Incredibly boring. The one thing I kind of enjoyed, and is a new concept, is related to the prizes that are obtained from sending monsters out. I like that part, and there are a few interesting items there. Everything else seems recycled. It’s like the programmers tweaked the dialogue, triggers, and graphics....new splash screen. Act one, two, three. Craft items. Offer a “license” to encourage neighbor visits. Done.

Does it seem like the game is leaning towards roping in new players, rather than retaining veteran players? I ask because if you already have some items from previous THOH updates, you can’t even craft it. That’s kind of lame in my book. Why not create a new item, as long as we’re being forced to craft yet again? Less options for players that already have the items from previous years=less interest.

I guess at the end of the day, the game needs to make money, which is reasonable. It’s a company. Apparently the current game mechanics are working for EA, because the crafting thing has been going on a long, long time now. But it’s getting somewhat stale for me. Oh well.

By the way, as a disclaimer, I haven’t poured over the numbers for this update. For all I know, there may actually be more items available this update. Idk. But at the end of the day, sometimes a person’s perception of the game carries more weight than the facts themselves. For this update, my perception is there are less items available, and the boredom level is off the charts.

Also, did we ever figure out the chicken or egg thing? To me the chicken would have to come first. Well, there would have to be a rooster as well, because I’m not sure if a chicken is able to reproduce asexually.

Well, my Sunday is drawing to a close, so I leave you with a random gif:
giphy.gif

Sincerely,
Moxxee

Ps-Negan was casted.
Post edited by moxxee on

Replies

• tl;dr :p

Neegan!!!!
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I don't think they care about long term players especially since most of us no longer have to spend money to get donuts. They only care about the ones that are going to spend money which are generally newer players. If most of the veterans quit playing, it would have no financial impact on EA so we are expendable. I will continue to play and work on designing my town. Although lately most of my gaming time has been spent playing cross-stitch world.
  • It is dull. I think they should have done this event at a different time of year. This isn't Halloween and throwing in Dracula at the end does not count. He deserved his own event! The main crafting prize is werewolf Flanders... WTH has that got to do with Potter? No new prize for long term players? This whole event looks clumsily stuck together and the worst part is I think EA actually thought it was good! :/
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • 0Brooders0 wrote: »
    It is dull. I think they should have done this event at a different time of year. This isn't Halloween and throwing in Dracula at the end does not count. He deserved his own event! The main crafting prize is werewolf Flanders... WTH has that got to do with Potter? No new prize for long term players? This whole event looks clumsily stuck together and the worst part is I think EA actually thought it was good! :/

I've never read the books but I've seen some of the movies.
    Guessing professor Lupin?

• 0Brooders0 wrote: »
    It is dull. I think they should have done this event at a different time of year. This isn't Halloween and throwing in Dracula at the end does not count. He deserved his own event! The main crafting prize is werewolf Flanders... WTH has that got to do with Potter? No new prize for long term players? This whole event looks clumsily stuck together and the worst part is I think EA actually thought it was good! :/

I've never read the books but I've seen some of the movies.
    Guessing professor Lupin?

I suppose you could link them that way. But vampires aren't potter are they?
  • The final prize for crafting is the wolf which I have already had. Totally no incentives to keep playing
  • You’re right moxxee it is boring they could have done better with the screen it looks half hearted. I agree with you on the prizes gained via the monsters they are good. I also agree with you on the crafting and that they are aiming for the newbies or ones who missed out last time but they should have added new items in act 2 and 3 for us to craft (doesn't look like that’s going to happen). I hope EA learn from this update and try not to make the same mistakes with future updates. Marks out of 10 I have to give it a 4.

Oh on the whole chicken vs egg debate where did the chicken come from? Think the man above will have to shed some light. * waiting for his response*
  • I might have a better reply later, but quick reply is that the game is not exactly boring. Like, it's not actively boring, there's just not as much to do. But some events have been almost tiring and frustrating in themselves not just lacking content or whatever.

It's odd to me that I've finished both acts so far over 7 days early. I'm usually done about 4 days, but lately even 2 days. And that's with a lot of hard work... This event I haven't had to work much (but maybe I worked smart, dunno). So the event is definitely different.

Of course, I always except that people have very specific expectations for a THOH event and therefore will take any negative aspect and amplify it. I think that's happening this time, too. But, sometimes that shtuff can be true as well.... who knows.
    moxxee wrote: »
    Also, did we ever figure out the chicken or egg thing? To me the chicken would have to come first. Well, there would have to be a rooster as well, because I’m not sure if a chicken is able to reproduce asexually.
    Did you just imply that the rooster came first? :smirk: Poor chicken.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • @moxxee...
    Step 1: lock your phone/tablet screen rotation so it won't rotate
    Step 2: play upside down
    Step 3: enjoy a whole new game!
    Step 4: praise my wisdom
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    @meinaz That’s true, I hadn’t thought about that. It’s sad, though, because most people who reach that stage in the game have been playing for a long time!

@kyaray Do you like Neegan? No...do you like like Neegan? I need to know.

@0Brooders0 It does seem like a menagerie of genres smashed together! :D

@tommy1724 Do I turn the tablet upside down, or do I have to physically be upside down? I will sing praises in your hono(u)r later this evening....

@someonewashere I haven’t read the books either. Who is profesor lupus?

@168sean168 Are you going for the other “crafty” stuff, or the monster prizes? I like the lard lad donut....

@pepsimax1984 I believe the chicken was designed and created. As well as the rooster! ;) I think dismissing science is a mistake. Conversely, dismissing intelligent design is also an error, at least in my book.

@simp7fan Yeah, I see what you mean. The 2013 THOH event was what hooked me! It seems like they try to do something different each October, but alas...
    What if we simply lower our expectations? Then we wouldn’t get disappointed!

Time for a margarita.
  • meinaz wrote: »
    I don't think they care about long term players especially since most of us no longer have to spend money to get donuts. They only care about the ones that are going to spend money which are generally newer players. If most of the veterans quit playing, it would have no financial impact on EA so we are expendable. I will continue to play and work on designing my town.
    That makes sense and also doesn't. Why did EA add in donut gaining features recently, including patches to make them work and reverting changes that would have basically removed some features? Basically there's the XP collider. They could have made it stop working once you reach level 939. Why didn't they? So there must be some purpose to keeping us ol' timers around, what with our donut producing powers and what not. Maybe we're the Joneses whom the Newbs must keep up with...via purchasing donuts? :)
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • My thoughts so far on Yawnfest 2017 THOH 2017........
    There is so little to do during this event, it seems more like a mini event stretched out over 6 weeks. There is a marked difference between playing the event in older towns and new towns: I have 3 towns, all 939, started Nov 14, Jul 15, Jan 17. I almost have the final prize on the top 2, where I only have about 12K at the half way stage in this act on my 3rd town. The final prize is 22,700, so I shall just about make it (I have only bought the Martin skin on this town). It is too easy on established towns and unless you log in 4 times a day, every day, players with newer towns may struggle. I always log into my newest town first thing in the day and last at night. Why did EA increase the amounts required for the prizes?
    I have really enjoyed most of the events this year, particularly the County fair and TTT, but the set-up of events is getting a bit old.
    Thoughts about prizes, take act 2 prizes:
    Monster NPC and deco - not really a prize, more a requirement to complete the prize track.
    Land token - this is definitely not a prize - it is just IGC dressed up as a prize.
    3rd and 4th prizes - meh, straight to storage.
    5th prize - crafting currency - again not really a prize either.
    6th and 7th prizes - finally some items to look forward to. :+1:
    I actually don’t mind crafting, provided there are plenty of items to craft. This event, there are 21 items, of which only 7 are new. Out of those, I don’t particularly like 2 of them, so I have 5 items to craft :/
    Bonus donuts - I thought this was a cool idea, especially for new players when it was introduced a while ago. Except that this event they have put the bar so high, it is almost pointless for new players. 10k per bonus round, so new players may get 2 goes at it.
    I quite like the idea of the monsters giving items, and like a few of them, but most will end up in storage too. Perhaps they could have tried something different.....treestache could have given a slight colour variation of a tree we already have in the game, or what about squidport fencing, but a green colour instead? (Part of the quest line was Homer chopping down trees, if I remember correctly).
    I rarely post my opinion about the game, but feel that things have really taken a downwards turn with this event and wanted to have my say.
    Anyone who is still reading and wants an even longer essay to read, may be interested in reading Alissa’s thoughts on addicts, she sums things up much more eloquently than I ever could:
    https://tstoaddicts.com/2017/09/25/make-tsto-events-great-again/
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • I am an addicts fan too @Muhsterino ... real shame EA didn't take note of that.

I don't mind that it's easy. It should be. I get it. Try to please all the players all at once. However, this event is a total disaster. A real mish mash of a what should be a truly wondetful Halloween.

• Dougie_Powers_17
    2323 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I've only been at this game a year and feel stiffed....Craftables of items I already own and no desire to craft much of the new stuff... prizes replaced with land tokens and event currency... In every act..

I started Aug 16 just before Sci-Fi, so had two events that gave me craftable buildings that earned income, cue a retro townhouse farm with a few others thrown in, followed by a big spooky house section with some spooky cabins to compliment it..

Was nice to have money earners so early in the game, but I fear I came in just at the end of the good times...

As of now, I have all my people on 24hr tasks, three 600 currency daily tasks waiting for Act 3 and no desire to even play this game at the moment... I placed Bully-vern but will probably just save him for Act 3

Christmas will be make or break for me, after the Pagans, I'm hoping for some kind of Tinsel, Fairy Lights and all that kind of Christmas and not just have a tiny area consisting of my Santa village, a couple of trees (and one a metal one at that) and a totem along with a couple of skins...
    You just had to look didn't ya!...
  • i have no opinion...I have not played in almost a year.... :/
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    I dont have any issue with the content - and think the magic area will look cool. I do wish that every Halloween incorporated the kids trick or treating costumes as a way to grind out currency. My big complaint is that there just isnt much to do. I'm barely visiting friends as it doesnt help them, and still completing the Acts days in advance. I actually remember the gremlins Halloween event where you had to visit all 100 friends every day to keep up with the prize track. I dont mind having to work hard for the prizes - and that's where some of the addictive game play came in. The harder you worked, the bigger the reward.
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I like the addicts site as well. @0Brooders0 @Muhsterino. Alissa makes some real good points. (Is she on this forum?) I especially agree with the community prizes.
    Edit: just read Patric(k?)’s post. Pretty much sums everything up!

@Dougie_Powers_17 I hope they go all out on the Christmas update, too!

@RMVancleav710 You have some catching up to do. ;)

@cdepast The neighbors aspect of the game has been less important as the game continues to involve. That makes me sad, too! Neighbor visits have little effect on game play, and if you want more event currency, you can purchase a “license” to negligibly speed up the process. The social aspect of the gane was huge! Not so much anymore. Maybe that’s why so many have left...
    I guess the update isn’t terrible (as you noted there is a lot of new content) but there seems to be a disturbing trend of lack of innovation.

It made me think of the iPhone 8. Good phone and I like apple products. But the improvements over the 7 are negligible, and Apple seems to be in a rut...Same phone body, change the processor, minor upgrades in the camera, more storage, change the product number, done. For a while it was viewed as an innovative company. Not so much anymore. The glory days are over?? Same thing is happening with the game, and I don’t like to see it.

Post edited by moxxee on
  • I've just read Patric's post and it gave me more of an insight into what I've missed previously...

I learned how to farm thanks to this forum, In the beginning I missed out a lot of premium items in the last year of events as I simply couldn't get them... then I concentrated all my money and effort into reaching Lv.939 and as a result, this is the first event where I've actually had some wiggle room and been able to spend, but in the end I haven't got any event items and chose just to pick up a couple of things from previous years as I don't see the point or value of things released for this event...
    You just had to look didn't ya!...
  • They should have included more hats. Fancy ones.

Hats! :grin:
  • suetopia wrote: »
    They should have included more hats. Fancy ones.

Hats! :grin:

Disagree, @suetopia. The hats should not be fancy.

100_boring_embroidered_baseball_hat-r341c39281c2e45bcb62613b990bde12f_65f3x_8byvr_324.jpg?rlvnet=1