EA Forums - Banner

Does anyone paint with acrylics? Have a question for you..

My father loves to paint with acrylics. His birthday is next month and then of course Christmas. I want to buy him some paints and accessories, but I'm clueless.
Can you please recommend brands, mediums, etc.? In the past I have given him 2 easels so he is set there. He is also very picky about paint brushes.

Thanks!
BulldogMom23 in Crawl to the Finish

Replies

• Nice present!
    Daler- Rowney are reasonably priced and decent quality.
    Winsor & Newton are a very brand good too.
    I don't use any mediums with acrylic- just water.
  • Thank you @LawrenceCohen1 !
  • I used to paint with acrylics and my favourites were Winsor and Newton, they have lovely bright colours. Liquitex are also a good brand, they are good and thick. It depends what technique your Dad is looking to use. Some acrylics are thinner and look more like water colours, some are really thick and apply well with a knife. Also the professional grade paints are better quality than the student grades
  • I used to paint with acrylics and my favourites were Winsor and Newton, they have lovely bright colours. Liquitex are also a good brand, they are good and thick. It depends what technique your Dad is looking to use. Some acrylics are thinner and look more like water colours, some are really thick and apply well with a knife. Also the professional grade paints are better quality than the student grades
    He mostly uses a brush, occasionally a knife. I definitely want professional grade. I would like to purchase a large set of different colors for him. I think he prefers medium.
    Thank you so much @SquirrelLadd for your input!
  • Happy to help.

Golden also are a great make, I think they might be a little more expensive. They make 2 different types of acrylic paints, one type looks more like oil paints.