EA Forums - Banner

Left or Right Handed?

Replies

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    Just wondering does a right or left hander favor one or the other instinctively as a baby or do they try both hands till they realize the dominate hand?

My nephew was obviously left handed from early on. He always grabbed and held things with his left hand. Not sure if it is always so straight forward, but it seemed to be for him.
  • @johncolombo ....@meinaz said it was genetic/hereditary.
  • I asked google (you could ask "computer")

Hand preference begins to develop before birth. It becomes increasingly apparent in early childhood and tends to be consistent throughout life. However, little is known about its biological basis. Hand preference probably arises as part of the developmental process that differentiates the right and left sides of the body (called right-left asymmetry). More specifically, handedness appears to be related to differences between the right and left halves (hemispheres) of the brain. The right hemisphere controls movement on the left side of the body, while the left hemisphere controls movement on the right side of the body.

It was initially thought that a single gene controlled handedness. However, more recent studies suggest that multiple genes, perhaps up to 40, contribute to this trait. Each of these genes likely has a weak effect by itself, but together they play a significant role in establishing hand preference. Studies suggest that at least some of these genes help determine the overall right-left asymmetry of the body starting in the earliest stages of development.
  • meinaz wrote: »
    Just wondering does a right or left hander favor one or the other instinctively as a baby or do they try both hands till they realize the dominate hand?

My nephew was obviously left handed from early on. He always grabbed and held things with his left hand. Not sure if it is always so straight forward, but it seemed to be for him.

It became more obvious, to me, once my daughter held a spoon to eat. She always took the spoon in her left hand
  • Just wondering does a right or left hander favor one or the other instinctively as a baby or do they try both hands till they realize the dominate hand?
    From my research, I'd say it's born with them. You'd think they'd copy the parent...by copy I mean mirror: a right-handed parent and left-handed baby. That would be kinda cool if the world was like that.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • I’m left-handed, but no-one else in my family is. In the BC age (Before Computers) when I had kids I was very conscious of not trying to influence them when they were young. If I handed them something, I would put it between both their hands so they made the choice of which hand to take it with.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • There are a large number of Canadians that are like myself - we are right handed but as kids we started off shooting left handed in hockey which then carries over to batting left handed and playing golf left handed. I have a left handed brother who is the direct opposite.
    Senior Moderator (for 25 minutes on Sept 23 2016)
  • IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Muhsterino wrote: »
    I’m left-handed, but no-one else in my family is. In the BC age (Before Computers) when I had kids I was very conscious of not trying to influence them when they were young. If I handed them something, I would put it between both their hands so they made the choice of which hand to take it with.

That’s cool. How early can you tell with kids? I guess I never looked for it.

I use both for a lot of things, like tapping :D texting, or using a remote. But I write better with my right, and always sacrifice the left to hold the nail when the hammer comes out. :) I noticed a while ago that it seemed like a lot of celebrities are lefties? whenever they sign something in a movie. Though I think overall only about 10% of the world population are left handed.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    I’m left-handed, but no-one else in my family is. In the BC age (Before Computers) when I had kids I was very conscious of not trying to influence them when they were young.
    But since you're a rare breed, you didn't want to attempt to unleash more of you upon the world?
    There are a large number of Canadians that are like myself - we are right handed but as kids we started off shooting left handed in hockey which then carries over to batting left handed and playing golf left handed. I have a left handed brother who is the direct opposite.
    I always wondered why I play guitar with my left hand on the frets, which to me felt like the subdominant hand was doing the dominant activity. That's a righthanded guitar. I'm used to it now. Especially I note that my right hand can most likely strum more evenly than my left hand, so that's probably the reason this is the setup for righthanders.
    I noticed a while ago that it seemed like a lot of celebrities are lefties? whenever they sign something in a movie. Though I think overall only about 10% of the world population are left handed.
    Look at @00mesmerelda00's search result. Their brains are different, maybe more talented in that way.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited November 2017

Maybe you should have one so you can study it and report back to us, say in a couple years....
    Post edited by daved7637397 on
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • Just wondering does a right or left hander favor one or the other instinctively as a baby or do they try both hands till they realize the dominate hand?

Maybe you should have one so you can study it and report back to us, say in a coupke years....

@johncolombo would make a great "Daddy" :)
  • My friend recently had a baby (almost 4 months old now) and he has almost no control over his hands yet, but I believe it's his left he keeps trying to shove in his mouth.

I had to use left-handed scissors once. Quite painful. I can't believe we made little kids go through that and would try to make them right-handed. Ridiculous
    phinneacttf in the Crawl to the Finish
  • right handed, my father was a lefty
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish

Maybe you should have one so you can study it and report back to us, say in a coupke years....

We could have a baby shower for him!

@rosesgirlnz I read this completely wrong and was about to say I can't wait to lather up with you....oops I did say it ;):p

@rosesgirlnz I read this completely wrong and was about to say I can't wait to lather up with you....oops I did say it ;):p

giphy-downsized-7-fxy.gif
    ;):Do:)
  • @rosesgirlnz Scrub A Dub Dub :blush:
  • I am right handed, monkey started off pretty much left handed but now she uses both hands....so I guess she ended up ambidextrous...lucky!!!!
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • Right handed. If there were signs I am using left hand, my mum would correct it back in the days. For holding handphone, either hands will do as I eat with right hand and use hp with left. Back in the my army days, they very much preferred us to be right handed. Some gadgets need to be installed on the M16 if you are left handed. Otherwise the hot spent cartridges will burn your cheeks.
  • I'm righty, my fella is lefty. It's never an issue unless we sit next to each other when eating.... and then I just have to be on the right and him left ... no 'bows, no probs.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.