EA Forums - Banner

Are you a social butterfly?

I have never in my life been much into socializing...even when I go to my bar, I sit there drinking and doing my word search. My word search is so relaxing for me!! One of my friends/coworkers is leaving us for Nevada and so we have been getting together a lot before she leaves. I have been talking to everyone more often, even the people at the bar. Its been a weird thing for me....but kind of nice too! Although a lot of drinking has been involved as well...that might be what is helping! lol So any Social Butterflies out there...im still not really a social butterfly but im okay with people talking at me more.
crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56

Replies

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    Not at all. I am very introverted so I can only handle being with people for a short amount of time. I enjoy going out and socializing periodically. I generally have to force myself to do it or I will decide I would prefer to stay at home. I haven't regretted going out when I do, so I really should force myself to go out more.
  • If I know the people the I would chat to them otherwise I don’t tend to
  • I get really off put talking to people who tend to just talk and talk and talk...if there a loud person that has to have that attention I will close up tight....
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I don't mind people that talk a lot so I don't have to. I can tune them out and just enjoy people watching or listening to music.
  • I think the issue really with me right now is monkey is starting to realize she is different then the other kids....talking to her teacher she got really low marks on socializing with other kids, and a lot of it stems from mommy isn't much of a socializer either so she doesn't know the proper ways to interact with others. So I am trying to make an effort in that direction...Its just been really heartbreaking when she comes to me crying telling me she doesn't fit into this world and how different she is... :(
  • Wait her school is marking her on sociability I’ve never heard this and think it’s wrong. Your daughter must think she’s doing wrong when she clear isn’t. When I was in high school we had life skills lessons preparing us for life surly her school could do something to help her not hinder her
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    Sorry to hear about monkey. Does she have opportunities to socialize with kids outside the classroom? I was a quiet student and generally made most of my friends through clubs that I was involved in. It made it easier for me to socialize with them because I knew we had a common interest.
  • yeah its on the part of respecting people and property and stuff. I don't know, I have an IEP meeting next week I should be finding out more on whats going on, but shes having a lot of issues with other kids, as the teacher pointed out to me though is that its not just her, its other kids....I don't know....
  • MrPepsiMax1
    2736 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    They should do activities with the kids were they have to interact with each other. They will benefit in the long term. Perhaps the teachers could do this for 30mins say twice a week. Plus this could help the teachers too
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    was when i was younger i did but as time goes on, i prefer to stay at home or work. I’ve done much xmas shopping already because the hustle and bustle is way more annoying than saving a few $. used to stand in multiple store lines to get the deals but don’t enjoy the crowds anymore (mainly because of other peoples behavior). Last concert i went to (Greatful Dead @ Soldier Field 2016) felt like we were being hearded into a corral like livestock except for the Shakedown Lot :D Large crowds bug me now, guess i need to stay at the senior center @00mesmerelda00 .thanks for the ride lady :D
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    They should do activities with the kids were they have to interact with each other. They will benefit in the long term. Perhaps the teachers could do this for 30mins say twice a week. Plus this could help the teachers too

Most teachers have lots of activities where students socialize. They also work on socialization skills. Just like any other skill some students are better at it than others. If somebody can't read or write neatly, then they have to do additional practice outside of class. The same thing is true of socializing.
  • meinaz wrote: »

Most teachers have lots of activities where students socialize. They also work on socialization skills. Just like any other skill some students are better at it than others. If somebody can't read or write neatly, then they have to do additional practice outside of class. The same thing is true of socializing.
    Good to hear that. But in the case of Rhi and her daughter her teachers shouldn’t be giving out low marks when they know her problems then they should help her more I bet this has upset her.
  • 4junk3000
    5279 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm assuming you haven't tried this, so pardon that, but...

Board games used to be great way to get kids to socialize. Games where kids can see they start on a level playing field, have to protect their own pieces while respecting others, learning that cheating is unacceptable by the group as a whole, while fair play is desired. And most importantly, that you can play again so winning isn't everything and losing isn't so terrible. I preferred life, careers, trouble, sorry!, and later on monopoly and risk. The games where your success or failure is not determined by the other players is usually better for younger kids first. Maybe try hosting a board game meet up at your house, where she can invite kids she already likes (or wants to meet) and I guess invite their moms for like a 2 hour coffee/tea break as well so you're not creating an impromptu babysitting session. Unless you want to do that; after some success, like a 4 hr weekend gaming session that would give kids a longer play period. Just trying to think of how you can offer your kid social time that's more defined by you, tailored more for them, and easier for it to be a positive experience, leading to faster acceptance of rules and building self discipline. Fun lessons are easier to learn. Good luck mom

And to the OP, I'm both introvert and extrovert. The status changes on its own. It's a weird thing, im not someone who believes in astrology, especially since the signs' date ranges are no longer in their own constellations anymore; but I can't help but recognize the cliche behaviour patterns of being a cancer-Leo cusp. At any time I may be a lion or a crab, in their most stereotypical forms. It's just intriguing. And annoying 🎃🎃🎃🎃
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • I'm internet social...and even then I'm no butterfly. (Though I was once a butterfly.)

I've always been this way. And that's okay.... *sniff*
    meinaz wrote: »
    I haven't regretted going out when I do, so I really should force myself to go out more.
    Must be nice to not regret socially acceptable expeditions.
    I get really off put talking to people who tend to just talk and talk and talk...if there a loud person that has to have that attention I will close up tight....
    What if that chatty person is quiet?
    I think the issue really with me right now is monkey is starting to realize she is different then the other kids....talking to her teacher she got really low marks on socializing with other kids, and a lot of it stems from mommy isn't much of a socializer either so she doesn't know the proper ways to interact with others.
    Sounds like you think it's a learned behavior. I think people are as social as they are regardless of upbringing. "Acting social" isn't real socialness, so my point stands.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • simp7fan wrote: »
    I'm internet social...and even then I'm no butterfly. (Though I was once a butterfly.)

I knew it! :grin:
  • suetopia wrote: »
    simp7fan wrote: »
    I'm internet social...and even then I'm no butterfly. (Though I was once a butterfly.)

How did you know?!
  • simp7fan wrote: »
    suetopia wrote: »

How did you know?!

Well... your colourful, yet delicate, wings and your love of pollen/nectar gave you away :grin:

• suetopia wrote: »
    suetopia wrote: »

How did you know?!

Well... your colourful, yet delicate, wings and your love of pollen/nectar gave you away :grin:
    That's right.... I'm not into regurgitated food. Straight from the source for me.
  • I've never been big on socializing, am happy and content with my own company.
    Would usually be happier staying home than going out, especially if it is evening time.
    I've always been this way and even when I was younger, and single, I had to force myself to go out. More often, than not, I actually enjoyed myself when I got there but was always happy when I got back home.