EA Forums - Banner

Battery drains sooooo fast!

Has anyone else on IOS noticed that starting with the last update (the one prior to this one) that the game just sucks the life out of their battery faster than Lenny or Carl can wolf down eggnog? I watched today as even though it was plugged in and charging my battery was draining faster than it could recharge. I lost 5% just waiting for the game to load. I’ve never had this issue before but now it takes me 30% on average just to log in and send everyone out on tasks again. That’s just preposterous! I’m on a 7Plus for what that’s worth to anyone.
Thoughts?
W.G.

Replies

• No one else? Only me?!?
    W.G.
  • I’m not particularly techy minded, but I found this info on one site:
    Since Apple released its iOS 11 mobile operating system in September, iPhone users have been complaining that the upgrade is draining their battery faster than ever.
    Multiple reports indicate that those with older iPhone models — not the new iPhone 8 — appear to be struggling the most.
    Here are a few suggestions I found searching online about possible help:
    Some people say they’ve been forced to use Low Power Mode just to get through the day without a charge. Solving this problem may require a bit of troubleshooting. Many iPhone users say they’ve fixed the issue by changing the background app refresh setting.
    Some people claim iOS 11 turned background app refresh on for all apps, which drains the battery. Turning background app refresh off has made a big difference for some users. To try it, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select the apps that you want to stop from updating in the background. If that doesn’t work, you may want to reduce your screen brightness, use a Wi-Fi connection, disable location services and turn off push mail notifications. The best place to begin your detective work is Settings > Battery to see which apps are using the most battery.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    I’m not particularly techy minded, but I found this info on one site:
    Since Apple released its iOS 11 mobile operating system in September, iPhone users have been complaining that the upgrade is draining their battery faster than ever.
    Multiple reports indicate that those with older iPhone models — not the new iPhone 8 — appear to be struggling the most.
    Here are a few suggestions I found searching online about possible help:
    Some people say they’ve been forced to use Low Power Mode just to get through the day without a charge. Solving this problem may require a bit of troubleshooting. Many iPhone users say they’ve fixed the issue by changing the background app refresh setting.
    Some people claim iOS 11 turned background app refresh on for all apps, which drains the battery. Turning background app refresh off has made a big difference for some users. To try it, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select the apps that you want to stop from updating in the background. If that doesn’t work, you may want to reduce your screen brightness, use a Wi-Fi connection, disable location services and turn off push mail notifications. The best place to begin your detective work is Settings > Battery to see which apps are using the most battery.
    Thank you for the efforts but my battery is only severely drained with this one game. I had already disabled all of that and it hasn’t helped. I’m on the 7 plus which has a stronger battery and faster processor but I’ve noticed No problems whatsoever unless I play Tapped Out. Thanks again!
    W.G.
  • Sorry I couldn’t help :( I also found this very old thread way back in 2013 on the forum that has the same issue:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/28565/ios7-and-tapped-out-battery-drain
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • liamchandler
    543 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Its probably because your RAM is at a higher capacity with the new os, no real solution beyond deleting other apps or buying a new phone.
  • There have been a few other threads as well. Not many, but a few. And most if not all preceding the release of OS 11, so I don’t think the issue is strictly tied to the new OS. I think given the nature of the game, most users find it drains the battery at a rate that exceeds that for most other apps. (Speaking for myself, a 45-minute session drains about 10-15% of battery life.) And for a small subset of users, for reasons that are not clear, this effect on battery life is exacerbated to a really high degree (as with the OP). I wish there was a clear-cut remedy, but I haven’t heard of one.
  • It seems to me the gaming is draining it quite fast, but I switched phones and upgraded the OS, so it's hard to pinpoint the issue.
  • You are not alone. I have had this issue for over a year now. This is the only game that sucks the life out of my battery. iPhone 6sPlus on iOS 10 thru 11.2 etc.

I also complained to Apple prior to my Apple care ending. And they did nothing. Even though on one of those battery drain graphs you could clearly see the severe battery usage drop. It was a very steep angle. That was just leaving the game on for 30 or 45 min.

I think I have a video which I’ll try to post.

The only thing that has helped a bit is playing on low power mode. But then it can become slow if I’m collecting lots of building and character income.
  • I have noticed it. Brand new iPhone 7. Particularly noticeable first thing in the morning. Charge overnight to 100 percent, do a full round of collecting and KEM farming takes about 10 minutes and I'm down to 85 percent battery already.

Just checked usage since fully charge and both tapped out and my browser usage are similar at 2 hours, but battery consumption is 71 percent TSTO and 17 percent Firefox.
  • I have noticed it. Brand new iPhone 7. Particularly noticeable first thing in the morning. Charge overnight to 100 percent, do a full round of collecting and KEM farming takes about 10 minutes and I'm down to 85 percent battery already.

Just checked usage since fully charge and both tapped out and my browser usage are similar at 2 hours, but battery consumption is 71 percent TSTO and 17 percent Firefox.
    In the morning my 7plus is the same way. I take it off the charger and lose exactly 15% of the battery for the quick rundown/task collection. I use my phone a lot, have PLENTY of remaining space yet never notice anything draining my batter so badly that I have to plug it in while playing like I do this. If I start with 30% battery while always playing with the screen dimmed down and on the low battery setting I’ll be down to the 10% warning before I can even collect from everyone and resend them back on their way. I haven’t had the phone a year yet, (have the mega gig one) and I promise I never had this problem at all until about two game updates ago. I could play all day and never noticed anything before then. It’s almost like there’s an open drain in the game’s data coding somewhere.
    W.G.