EA Forums - Banner

The Problem with Apu

Prev1
Over the holidays I was surprised to discover there is a big problem with Apu. Comedian Hari Kondabolu has decided the portrayal of an Indian character on the Simpsons is racist and made a documentary along those lines. He has Whoopi Goldberg comparing Hank Azaria's portrayal of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon to a minstrel in black face. Azaria seemed to agree that those calling for his removal from the television show should be listened to and made it sound like there is some discussion along those lines. What do you guys think? Should Apu be forcibly removed from everyone's game along with KEMs or should there be an option for social just warriors to pay donuts to have his character excised from their individual towns? Will probably need to get rid of Sanjay and Manjula as well. I figure a 100 donuts a head ought to cover it.

Replies

• It is a joke? Maybe it is a joke. I hope it is a joke. Maybe it is true. Maybe it is Trump's fault. Maybe all the white heterosexuals should move to another planet. Maybe we should all stick to our own etnical groups and not interact with each other, or make fun of each other or love each other. Oh no, that is probably racism...

I live in Scandinavia, this discussion is going too far, nobody dares to say or do anything now. Always someone who can claim discrimination.
  • Boo urns!
    TOUK is the best also have you considered Nuking. Don't forget about the Springfield Showcase
  • Comedy relies on stereotypes... it's not racism. :/
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • zutroy69
    456 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I wondered if it was satire too, in the old days it would have been satire and good satire in the Jonathan Swift/Andy Kaufmann vein, but these days I don't think so… they all seemed pretty serious and wounded in the trailer I watched. You know how things are… winter is here.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Another example of political correctness going entirely too far. Apu has been around for roughly 30 years, it was fine for 29+ years, and now all of the sudden its a problem? Bull.

Some people have nothing better to do they go out and hunt for things to be offended about.
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • I haven't seen that documentary or watched the Simpsons in years but isn't Apu a super hard working business owner? That's not a bad thing.
    I mean he sells really old hotdogs but it's only Homer who eats those anyway.
  • It's easy enough to find, just google 'the problem with Apu.' I think it boils down to the fact that a non Indian is voicing an Indian character and in a PC world that is not allowed.
  • zutroy69 wrote: »
    It's easy enough to find, just google 'the problem with Apu.' I think it boils down to the fact that a non Indian is voicing an Indian character and in a PC world that is not allowed.

Hmm, I wonder what will happen when they work out that Mickey mouse, Daffy duck, Roger rabbit etc where voiced by actors too, my goodness what's the world coming too these days, it getting to the point where you dare not speak or look at anyone without fear of offending someone, sad,sad days.
  • "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves." Neil
  • I Did watch the piece on this bit............ :|:|

Going to quote my History teacher:
    You can't judge history for the context of what we know and believe Now.

Apu has always been voiced this way. It is not Suddenly wrong just because the PC police busted in. It's just historically, the way it was done, and the way it will likely be until the Simpsons ends.
    I cannot see them scrapping such a loved character, over such a made up sensitive issue. If the Indian actors didn't throw a fit then, and they don't seem to care now, everyone else needs to Let it go for them lol.
    And like it has been pointed out, this is part of what makes comedy- if we can't make fun of anything because we may hurt someones feelings, comedy is destroyed. Its one of Many comedic elements people use- quit being so over sensitive. This is why there are made up articles about "safe zones", things like this that never needed raised as an issue, and now everyone is laughed at for being too sensitive.

Sry, Rant over
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Each of my multiple personalities sees this issue from a different side.

You can't do a similarly stereotypical Asian character voicing. Why? Because Asian Americans are historically insulted by that and are on the record as saying so. Apparently they had a bad century or two of being mocked as outsiders and decided this was unsavory. So, if we're seeing another group saying, "uhhhhh, that's enough of this !" , does their timing matter? Does it matter that they didn't protest 19 years ago? But at the same time, nowadays who knows if the actual community of India Americans is upset or if it's just another case of democrats getting offended ON BEHALF of other peoples again. And.... in the vein of Black Lives Matter, is it time for a White People Still Get To Do Stuff movement? (W.P.S.G.T.D.S.) So it's complicated. But so is the Simpsons. They model the world fairly well. Why would India want to opt out and no longer be included in that world while calling it a step forward for diversity? And Apu's family has shown the ability to branch out in various directions, personality-wise. So.....
  • There are so many stereotypical characters on the Simpsons that if they got rid of them all, there wouldn't be a show. Are Scottish people offended by Willie? Are LGBTQ people offended by Smithers? Are French people offended by the French Waiter? Are Italian people offended by Luigi? Are alcoholics offended by Barney? Well, you get the idea. This is a huge part of the popularity of the show. They make fun of everybody. Apu is one my favorite characters. I really hope they don't go in this direction because in my opinion, it would be the end.
  • Well said @mystery2mi :)
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • Each of my multiple personalities sees this issue from a different side.

You can't do a similarly stereotypical Asian character voicing.

Sure they can, Evil Shop Keeper, Yakuza Boss, Cookie Kwan, Akira all have stereotypical voicings
    mystery2mi wrote: »
    This is a huge part of the popularity of the show. They make fun of everybody.

Well…. almost everybody ;) As Bart pointed out last event, even the Simpsons, who make fun of everybody, intentionally overlooked one group in the 'representatives of every faith' dialogue. And that should be very telling for all of us.

• jmlgg
    183 posts Member
    Why cant hindu man be work at store thought?! Guess Apu shouldve been making ridiculous documentaries instead
  • mystery2mi wrote: »
    There are so many stereotypical characters on the Simpsons that if they got rid of them all, there wouldn't be a show. Are Scottish people offended by Willie? Are LGBTQ people offended by Smithers? Are French people offended by the French Waiter? Are Italian people offended by Luigi? Are alcoholics offended by Barney? Well, you get the idea. This is a huge part of the popularity of the show. They make fun of everybody. Apu is one my favorite characters. I really hope they don't go in this direction because in my opinion, it would be the end.

I agree 100%
  • zutroy69 wrote: »
    mystery2mi wrote: »
    This is a huge part of the popularity of the show. They make fun of everybody.

Well…. almost everybody ;) As Bart pointed out last event, even the Simpsons, who make fun of everybody, intentionally overlooked one group in the 'representatives of every faith' dialogue. And that should be very telling for all of us.
    I noticed that "omission" in the last event also. It troubled my all-inclusive nature but I understand why they had to do it that way.

• Are the people complaining about Apu being voiced by someone other than a Hindu also offended by Bart being voiced by a woman?
  • The complaint is not actually about Apu, it is about he is the only representative of Indian culture in television. So when Indians go for interviews they are stereotyped as "why don't you act more like him"
  • Gwarrior56 wrote: »
    Are the people complaining about Apu being voiced by someone other than a Hindu also offended by Bart being voiced by a woman?

There are plenty of roles filled by women but how many Indian voices are there? I love Apu and think Hank Azaria is excellent but the lack of representation is a valid complaint.