EA Forums - Banner

do you think it is okay to copy other peoples stuff? MY FIRST 3D TOWN

Replies

• kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't care. I honestly don't pine over many of my friends' towns enough to know if they have copied a design of mine or not. I try to recreate scenes from my actual town of residence, so that's where my inspiration comes from.

While I'm sure a lot of people on here have some great, really unique designs, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the 'copied' ideas were more of a circumstance.

I remember seeing someone on here mention something about a user stealing a 3D hedge pyramid idea, and also a few people who want to take credit for optical illusions in general. The concept is not that hard to grasp on a game like this and had been done in similarly laid out games long before TSTO was even an idea.
  • XxEpicnezzxX
    1367 posts
    edited May 2013
    mitzytaz wrote:
    i took a quick visit to most of my neighbors towns to find some of my creations in them. i feel happy that they think my ideas are good enough to put in their springfields but i sometimes read from others they dont like it when their stuff are copied. i see no problem with it as long as they give credit to the person who came up with the design, right?
    Don't do it! Or else u get the "Paddling!"

You seem awfully attached to your paddle lol x[/quote] Hahaha, I'm the one who started the whole "Paddling" on these forums x)
  • XxEpicnezzxX
    1367 posts
    edited May 2013
    mitzytaz wrote:
    i took a quick visit to most of my neighbors towns to find some of my creations in them. i feel happy that they think my ideas are good enough to put in their springfields but i sometimes read from others they dont like it when their stuff are copied. i see no problem with it as long as they give credit to the person who came up with the design, right?
    Don't do it! Or else u get the "Paddling!"

You seem awfully attached to your paddle lol x[/quote] .
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • swdonnelly84
    639 posts New member
    edited May 2013
    It's a compliment I would say, also don't care about taking the credit or not. There's only so much you can do with the limited decorations and there are no awards to be given out, so copy away, if you want.
  • monkeyman_199059
    258 posts
    edited May 2013
    I've seen things in some friends towns that I have in my town but I'm not too fussed about it. A lot of the time it probably won't be intentional and if it is then I take it as people really liked my ideas and so why would I be angry at that.

As for copying ideas myself, I haven't intentionally copied something from a friend but I would be lying if I said I hadn't been inspired to design something a certain way because of a friends design whether it was consciously or sub-consciously.
  • LtType77
    642 posts
    edited May 2013
    This game is all about your creativity... It engages you to design things from your mind.. I do not copy others.. I have plenty of my own creative ideas..
  • PlacentaSandwich
    1148 posts
    edited May 2013
    LtType77 wrote:
    This game is all about your creativity... It engages you to design things from your mind.. I do not copy others.. I have plenty of my own creative ideas..
    +1
  • chindogger
    179 posts
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind being copied but I don't do it myself...I try to keep my town my own...
  • toddpygensky
    583 posts
    edited May 2013
    I'd be flattered.

Really though, what else are you going to do? Have your Lawyer draw up a cease and decist order?

I agree with the poster who said that many design choices are natural and not necessarily copies, if you have a friend in your game that appears to have copied you, I wouldnt get to worked up over it. I am willing to bet you there are at least a thousand other players with very similar designs that you never get to see, no matter how unique you think your ideas are.

MelDesigner is exempt to the above statement. ;)
  • CounterSniper67
    439 posts
    edited May 2013
    Dont really know how anyone can be certain that they came up with the "idea" first or whether that neighbor came up with the "idea" from you, from one of their 99 other neighbors or on their own.

• jennylynj21
    1305 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Nothing is trademarked :0
  • Burnin_TODI
    1552 posts
    edited May 2013
    What could you do about it if it did bother you?? Delete them as a friend?? Whoopity Doooo!!
  • DabItUpBogart
    222 posts
    edited May 2013
    What could you do about it if it did bother you?? Delete them as a friend?? Whoopity Doooo!!

Hahaha right! Whatchagonnado?
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited May 2013

Does your username refer to the type of dabs I'm thinking about? :D
  • Linky2g
    665 posts
    edited May 2013
    there is one or two buildings in my town that are heavily inspired by meldesigner but I've changed them to fit my chosen area and given them my own flair. As long as people tweak them enough to not be a copy, I dont mind if people use my stuff. They clearly think it is good.
  • durarararara
    2855 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem.

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery."
  • DabItUpBogart
    222 posts
    edited May 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:

If these dabs your thinking of involve a nail or skillet then yes
  • OrdealByFire
    916 posts
    edited May 2013
    I voted no but meant yes. The poll question is different from the thread title.

Yes, it would ... but I wouldn't really BLAME people for stealing my ideas ... some of my buildings have some really good decoration.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:

Lol your homer avatar looks like suge knight lol
    suge-knight.jpg?w=288
  • blbrooks38
    217 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't have a problem. It is a social game with friends after all. sharing is caring :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.