EA Forums - Banner

do you think it is okay to copy other peoples stuff? MY FIRST 3D TOWN

124Next

Replies

• ohserin
    106 posts
    edited May 2013
    I feel like people maybe take it a little too seriously? And like several people have said, how do you know it was YOUR idea in the first place? Re: The Original Thought Theory
  • MelDesigner
    647 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    thanks kelekod and beeblebrox900 for posting the town. i didnt think it would end up too big. is there any way i can make it smaller to show all of it? its my first time using imageshack. :(

Is there an option to pick a size when you copy the link? If you use imgupr, it gives you that option.

WEq0bjzl.jpg

I uploaded and picked medium. :D

Nice job SeungyeonAngel!!!
    Looks like an invitation
    to a challenge to me. :D
    Keys1980 wrote:
    Copy this and I will give you a standing ovation :) on a serious note I really take no issue with people borrowing a few ideas and making them their own.... Effff I sound like a judge on American idol.

@Keys1980 - I might like to try that with a twist :)
  • Pete3701
    15 posts
    edited May 2013
    Exact copies should be avoided but there's nothing wrong with taking an idea and making it your own. Plus, due to the lack of decoration items, similarities are almost unavoidable.
  • Keys1980
    393 posts New member
    edited May 2013
    @ SeungyeonAngel

That shrub art was downright cheap compared to this. If you count the escalator it comes in around 2 million. Those washing machines really add up quick ;). It's kinda old and when I made it I did so over a few days because I ran outa cash coloring it in.

image_zpsc07f9d3f.jpg

• Keys1980
    393 posts New member
    edited May 2013
    image_zpsc07f9d3f.jpg
  • SeungyeonAngel
    293 posts
    edited May 2013
    Keys1980 wrote:
    Copy this and I will give you a standing ovation :) on a serious note I really take no issue with people borrowing a few ideas and making them their own.... Effff I sound like a judge on American idol.

image_zps2b67f99e.jpg

btw i so love the angel image! it is right up my alley! :) thanks for posting it @keys1980!
  • LtType77
    642 posts
    edited May 2013
    @ Keys

I like the Homer picture.. must of took alot of time to do that.
  • jesslynco
    270 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Personally I'm ok with it. I've gotten inspiration from others but always tweak a few things to make it my own. And. Really with the size/space limitations certain things are bound to be copied or repeated to some extent. I mean we're all working with the same buildings and decorations.
  • Keys1980
    393 posts New member
    edited May 2013
    Keys1980 wrote:

image_zps2b67f99e.jpg

btw i so love the angel image! it is right up my alley! :) thanks for posting it @keys1980!

Thanks much :). I really like the 3D you have going on. Would love to see you one day have a complete town with some of that stuff incorporated in. I say make it happen and look forward to seeing more.
  • MelDesigner
    647 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I'd be flattered.

Really though, what else are you going to do? Have your Lawyer draw up a cease and decist order?

I agree with the poster who said that many design choices are natural and not necessarily copies, if you have a friend in your game that appears to have copied you, I wouldnt get to worked up over it. I am willing to bet you there are at least a thousand other players with very similar designs that you never get to see, no matter how unique you think your ideas are.

MelDesigner is exempt to the above statement. ;)

:D Thanks
  • simbass7
    1928 posts New member
    edited June 2013
    In my opinion it is OK to copy the idea (for example football stadium)
    But not the design, I have got a neighbor who copied couple of my designs like he'd copy and paste my city to his
    That was a strange feeling to be honest
    But if I see my ideas redesigned by other players that's flatter me
    So bottom line is
    Yes it's OK but up to a certain extent
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9530858.page
  • pharrah2003
    920 posts
    edited June 2013
    I have seen both neighbors and a few forum folk repeat certain elements I have posted from my town, but a few weeks ago when going through my neighbors I found one the is copying my town almost in its entirety. It was a little odd at first because I though I was in my town, but as I looked around they have a lot of the buildings pushed to the side as they are still working on it. I was pretty flatted by this. I keep visiting, curious to see how closely they are going to duplicate my town. They have a lot of buildings I don't so I am wondering how they will incorporate them. I find it interesting and fun to watch as it takes shape. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.