EA Forums - Banner

House Color Production Analysis

Prev1
One item that you have not accounted for is the size of the buildings. Since people will be limited by the amount of available space they will need to take into account how many buildings they can fit in the space. For instance if someone had a four by four space, they are able to fit many more white houses as compared to pink house in that space. In this case your caculation should take into account additional white houses or less pink houses.

Also, you see a lot of brown houses because they are the cheapest and build fast.

Replies

• beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Reposting image

house_exp_chart.png 
  • DevelopD
    37 posts
    edited May 2013
    :thumbup: You're my new boyfriend! Unless you're my new girlfriend. Not that there's anything wrong with that :wink: Love the way you think!

I just made my calculations on scrap paper.

By the way, "creep forward" always thwarts my minions' task schedule. Just when I think I've got something that suits me, life interferes and my guys have to be reset and given shorter tasks. I wish there were 10 hour tasks!
  • chrismcb
    17 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    bjserink wrote:
    White performs worse than you might expect because
    you short changed white. Assume that you can hit Blue 3 times a day, and White twice a day, white out performs blue by 16%.

If you are considering a house farm, houses are different sizes. Ignoring the brown house, the house production per square per hour:

Purple: 6x7 $0.595
    Pink: 5x8 $0.458
    Blue: 4x8 $0.586
    White: 4x6 $0.694
    Orange 4x8 $0.488

This assumes perfect harvest (which is why I ignored brown. While brown has production value of $1.71 a square if you harvest it 10 times an hour. If you harvest it 3 times an hour its worth $.51 a square. 3 times a day is enough for me, I wouldn't want to do it 3 times an hour.) Of course it doesn't take into sleep/work schedules
    White is the most productive, BUT it takes 19 days to repay itself, while Blue takes 4. You also run into the "creep" effect that you notice. Blue's creep affect can be countered by skipping one 8 hour cycle occasionally.
    The nice thing about blue is, 8 houses fit perfectly in a new square of land, purple and white won't. Also an 8 hour schedule is doable. 3 hours is too fast. I can generally harvest blue 3 times a day, making $14 per square per day. But if you miss just one purple harvest, it drops to $12.50 per square per day (8 times a day nets you $14.28 per day)
    Blue makes a great house farm. With white in the running. The rest don't make sense, unless you want to farm 24/7.
    I'm considering converting my farm from white to blue, but the 19 days of recovery is holding me back.

• jedgeco
    247 posts
    edited May 2013
    I've got 353 white houses that border the southern and eastern perimeter of my town, which yield $169,440 per day. The "creep" factor is a problem, and I usually lose 1 collection per week as a result.

You really can't discount the payout per square. I used to have the same land area dedicated to purple houses before I sold them off and built whites; each individual purple house made more per day than $480 each white house nets, but I was able to pack in far more white houses in the same space, and I only have to worry about collecting twice a day.
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited May 2013
    ehoffa21 wrote:
    One item that you have not accounted for is the size of the buildings. Since people will be limited by the amount of available space they will need to take into account how many buildings they can fit in the space. For instance if someone had a four by four space, they are able to fit many more white houses as compared to pink house in that space. In this case your caculation should take into account additional white houses or less pink houses.

Also, you see a lot of brown houses because they are the cheapest and build fast.

Agree with this. I started getting annoyed with how much space my farm was taking up, so I eventually converted to all white houses. It takes up half the space as my purple farm.
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    chrismcb wrote:
    you short changed white. Assume that you can hit Blue 3 times a day, and White twice a day, white out performs blue by 16%.

Your calculations are probably typical of what most people have done, which is to ignore sleep schedules and the "creep" effect. I wanted to do a more realistic analysis, which is why I went through all the work of creating a simulator. I found that hitting blue 3 times a day was actually quite difficult to maintain on a regular basis, because it requires a strict play schedule in order to keep the creep to a minimum. For those who work an 8-hour shift plus 1-hour lunch, the timing probably doesn't work out well enough and most days will be only 2 hits per blue house. White might be easier to manage as the timing better suits a work day, but creep will still result in occasionally missing the 2nd hit. How often that happens will of course depend on your consistency, and how many hours you sleep at night.

I agree that for house farms, it makes sense to take into account the size of the house. Evaluating production on a per-square basis works fine on a large scale (many fields), which is what most farms probably are. For those who prefer to layout their houses in nice rows with roads in between, the per-square amounts are of less importance.

I've got some new charts, these ones showing the cash payouts rather than experience, and generated using a 7-hour night instead of 8. The first one shows cash per house, the second is cash per square. If someone could repost these images for me that would be great!

http://www.signaldisarray.com/serink/images/house_cash_chart.png
    http://www.signaldisarray.com/serink/images/house_cash_per_square_chart.png

It does seem like white is the way to go for a house farm, no matter what your play interval is. The problem is that it's a very big investment, costing $7700 for each one. Thus it takes about 20 - 25 days just for the house to pay for itself! And that also means that when you're just starting out and have a low cash-flow, it could take a long time to establish a white farm. Another thing that's pretty clear: when it comes to earning cash, brown farms really suck. Sure they may only cost $355, but they'd still take 2 - 3 days of hourly play to pay for themselves, which incidentally is about the same amount of time a purple house would take to pay for itself.
  • deorets90
    32 posts
    edited May 2013
    still don't understand about the graphics.
    so what's the best house to farm?
  • Linky2g
    665 posts
    edited May 2013
    brown house farms dominate because ypu can sit there for an hour or two while doing other things and collect every 5mins. my single brown house pays out nearly $60. having 100 would result in 6000 every 5 mins. but house farming is lame and no longer required as an 850% multiplier turns every building and task into a cash cow. I pull in around 350k a day on 24hr tasks. cant even spend that.
  • deomegus
    595 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    bjserink wrote:
    house_cash_chart.png
    house_cash_per_square_chart.png
  • deomegus
    595 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    i have a small purple farm for aesthetics. they look like a row of townhomes. so there's that. and im trying to decide which house to use to build a development neighborhood. im going with blue. god price and best payout/time for my play schedule.

thank you, bjserink, for the work you put into this :thumbup:
  • pharrah2003
    920 posts
    edited May 2013
    I too love the way you think. I enjoy running calculations of data in order to view it clearly. Its always a good read when people post such analytics. So bravo!

I finally brokedown and made a farm on the side of my town in order to expedite the completion of my town's land expansion. In getting so close, it makes me eager so that i can finalize my town. I currently have brown houses, because while I hangout at home, like while watching tv I can just keep clicking and make 100k at night and on the weekends double. When I ran the calculations aligned with my determination, this fit best for me. However... Now closing in on some final plots I have been considering trading out for another color that does not require so much attention as I am okay with slowing down the pace now. So, your post is definitely food for thought. Thank you :)
  • alexgravener
    88 posts
    edited May 2013
    This all looks really complicated :? What I've done is make a brown house farm but then I just worked out how much money I get from like a round of clicking them, so every time I click all my brown houses, I make $1057 but I'm still adding more brown houses as I gain land so that figure is continuously rising. On the weekends, I can spend a good 4 hours broken up throughout the day, clicking on these houses so they paid for themselves ages ago.
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so while the purpose of this thread was to have an in-depth discussion about house production, some people just want the answer to "what is the best color for me to farm?". So here's the conclusions that can be drawn from my analysis:

1) If you play more often than once every half-hour, brown houses are probably your best bet. They're cheap, and if you can tap them at least 78 times a day (about every 10 - 15 minutes) they'll pay out better than any other color. For a play frequency of 30 - 45 minutes, brown will still generate the most experience but less cash. If you don't play this often, then brown is a very bad choice, so continue to 2:

2) If you plan to completely fill up an area with tightly packed houses, then the amount of space they take up is going to matter. In this case, white houses are the best for both money and experience, for any playing frequency. They are quite expensive though, and can take 20 - 25 days to pay for themselves. So they make a good long-term investment, but not great for new players with little capital. If you're new, or if you want to keep your town in tidy rows (space is not important), then continue to 3.

3) When house size is not important, purple houses will generate the most cash and experience for most play styles with a frequency of every 4 hours or shorter. If you only play 2 or 3 times a day, blue is probably your best bet. For the once-a-day player who doesn't care about size, the orange houses can generate more exp & cash per day, but each one costs $24500 so it would take about 3 months to pay for itself! So you might want to stick with blue.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that the fact that brown houses are so cheap doesn't really matter in the long run. What is really important is which houses will generate the most experience and cash. After all, does it really make sense to pay $355 for an investment that pays $200/day, when you could buy an investment for $1100 that pays about $477? After 3 days the former will have earned you a net of $245, while the latter nets $331. In a week the former nets $1045 while the latter nets $2239. So please don't pick brown just because it's cheap! Consider the conditions for each of the 3 possibilities above, and make your decision based on that!
  • pharrah2003
    920 posts
    edited May 2013
    Nice summary. Now if I could only drag-n-drop this post into a file for future quick refence. :)
  • Linkster79
    82 posts
    edited May 2013
    I have about 20 purple houses for days I am working and about 40 brown houses to farm when I am on my off days. Got a 14% multiplier, and can usually rake in about $50,000 per day no matter how often I log in for those lazy days.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts
    edited May 2013
    Im not a farmer but the way I see it is it all depends on how often you login?

If you login once a day then white houses are the best for you, blue twice a day, purple houses if you login in regularly :D

Anyway that's how I see it :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • chrismcb
    17 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    bjserink wrote:
    Your calculations are probably typical of what most people have done, which is to ignore sleep schedules and the "creep" effect.
    I didn't ignore the sleep schedules. While I didn't simulate it like you did, I pointed out how you can't realistically harvest purples 8 hours a day. You probably can't harvest 3 blues in 24 hours. But maybe 3 in 25 hours? but you probably can't do more than 6 purples in 25 hours.

But if you are harvesting every 8 hours, or every 12 hours, you should be able to minimize your creep (shoot half the time I'm harvesting I can see my $ pop up)

Anyways I looked into it some more. I completely ignored XP. Turns out Blue is awful in the XP category. Most of the houses give 1 XP for ever $10. White houses are $200 and 20xp, orange is $250 and 25. But blue is $150 and 13 xp.

XP per hour per sq:
    Brown: .34
    purple: .056
    pink: .046
    blue: .051
    white: 0.069
    orange: .049

Of course this is assuming perfect harvesting. With white requiring harvesting twice a day, you should be able to minimize the creep.
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Im not a farmer but the way I see it is it all depends on how often you login?
    If you login once a day then white houses are the best for you, blue twice a day, purple houses if you login in regularly :D
    Anyway that's how I see it :lol:

Well, that's how a lot of people see it, but a lot of people are not analyzing the numbers. Let me give you an example to help explain things a bit better. Let's say you want to build a farm over 4 fields (32x32 grid cells). This area can hold 26 brown houses (because 5x7 doesn't fit nicely into 32x32), 24 purple or pink houses, 32 blue, 40 white, or 32 orange. If you login once a day the cash payouts (before bonus multiplier) would be:
    Br: 6 x 26 = 156
    Pu: 75 x 24 = 1800
    Pi: 110 x 24 = 2640
    Bl: 150 x 32 = 4800
    Wh: 200 x 40 = 8000
    Or: 250 x 32 = 8000

So far, you're guess is correct, white is best for the once-a-day player (orange pays the same but is too damn expensive to build). Now let's do the math for twice a day:
    Br: 12 x 26 = 312
    Pu: 150 x 24 = 3600
    Pi: 220 x 24 = 5280
    Bl: 300 x 32 = 9600
    Wh: 400 x 40 = 16000
    Or: 12000, since you can only tap twice a day every 2nd day

As expected, twice a day players simply earn twice as much as once-a-day. And clearly, farming white produces a lot more than blue! Due to the previously discussed "creep" effect, there might be some days when you can only tap the white houses once, but even if you miss the 2nd tap every second day, white still pays out higher than blue! The reason why this result did not agree with your guess is because you don't have a farm, and thus didn't realize the importance of house size (I initially overlooked this as well).

The chart on page 1 titled "$ per day per square" actually shows that white will outperform all other house colors for any playing frequency greater than a half-hour. Purple generally does the best only when you ignore space requirements (the chart titled "$ per day" shows this).
  • ThomasK323
    548 posts
    edited May 2013
    Good analysis. Here's mine from six months ago. We pretty much came to the same conclusions.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9128775.page#25960200

However, to reiterate the point of how bad an idea it is to brown house farm, it takes over five hours a day of constant tapping to make the same amount of money as tapping blue houses twice five times a week and three times two days a week.

Heck, spending donuts on cash made at an actual job is probably a better investment of time than brown house farming. Even if you spent a 'mere' two hours each and every single day of your life taping brown houses you would receive half the cash of tapping blue houses just twice a day.

Man, I still remember the days of 45 second tasks to try and make money rather than 45 second tasks just to see them do the task. Now with millions in the bank and everything purchased, and even though I never had more than 50 non-unique houses, I keep just enough houses to keep my idolence meter at 5 stars.
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    ThomasK323 wrote:
    Good analysis. Here's mine from six months ago. We pretty much came to the same conclusions.
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9128775.page#25960200
    Yours is nice too, I like how each house has all the data shown. You made some rough guesses as to how much the "creep effect" and sleep schedules would affect the output, and incorporated that into your results. That's pretty much what I did though I used a random amount of creep for each login time. Somehow you came to the conclusion that blue houses are the best, but your numbers actually support white as being the winner. Sure, they can take 3 - 4 weeks to pay off, but in the long run you'll get better cash per square from white houses, and especially more experience per square (because as Chris pointed out, the exp on blue is a disproportionately low). Blue can still be useful though, when a large investment isn't possible or for non-farmers looking to add a few more houses and just want to know which color earns more on a per-house basis.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.