Prev1
johncolombo
11274 posts Senior Moderator
Sad news. Such a brilliant man.
Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ

Replies

• Aelein
    31 posts Member
    Stephen Hawking will always be rocketing around in my Springfield.
  • I have a few of his books but I have yet to read them. As I think it may be too deep for me. RIP.
  • johncolombo
    168sean168 wrote: »
    I have a few of his books but I have yet to read them. As I think it may be too deep for me. RIP.

I think it's brilliant you even own books by him. I only ever read interviews and articles about him. I have an interest in physics though.
  • 168sean168
    3715 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I have a few of his books but I have yet to read them. As I think it may be too deep for me. RIP.

I think it's brilliant you even own books by him. I only ever read interviews and articles about him. I have an interest in physics though.

Haha thanks. I wanted to be more familiar with quantum physics section first before attempting his books
  • I just realised that his date coincided with Pi day.
  • johncolombo

Haha thanks. I wanted to be more familiar with quantum physics section first before attempting his books

I read about quantum physics on occasion. Fascinating reading. and yeah wow the Pi day coincidence. good catch but he actually died around 9pm the 13th. Close enough.
  • 168sean168 wrote: »

I read about quantum physics on occasion. Fascinating reading. and yeah wow the Pi day coincidence. good catch but he actually died around 9pm the 13th. Close enough.

Oh I see. I didnt get the actual timing as the news all came out on the 14th
  • stephenhawking627103.jpg

Sad news :'(
  • RIP. He was a fantastic person. It’s only March and we’ve already seen a few big names go. The one am sad about is Sir Ken Dodd. He was a brilliant all round entertainment. I’ll never forget his tickle sticks and his diddy men. I watched a documentary on him last night and that was funny. Always knew how to make people laugh. So rip Sir.
  • Inspirational-Life-Quote-Stephen-Hawking-Greatest-Enemy-Knowledge-Ignorance-Illusion-1.jpg
    R.I.P., Stephen.
    I just realised that his date coincided with Pi day.

He was born on the same date as Galileo Galilei died and he died on the same date that Albert Einstein was born!
  • girl22721 wrote: »
    I just realised that his date coincided with Pi day.

He was born on the same date as Galileo Galilei died and he died on the same date that Albert Einstein was born!

Oh what a coincidence! I do not know of any other renowned physicists after Stephen's passing. There is this black guy but I see him more of a celebrity, Neil Degrasse Tyson. Then there is one Japanese guy with white hair, Michio Kaku, but he is also like a celebrity.
  • I can think of several modern day scientists and mathematicians that have done great work representing their communities and educating audiences (e.g. Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalili, Marcus du Sautoy, Helen Czerski, Alice Roberts, etc) most of whom are university professors and thought leaders for various societies however they're not really well known for their own theories. Stephen Hawking was absolutely a legend in a league of his own!
  • This is for the uk forum members as I don’t know if any Americans know him. RIP Jim Brown. He was a comedian and was known for hosting Bullseye.
  • johncolombo
    edited March 2018

hey @168sean168 Sean, maybe I'm wrong. All the news sources now say he died on the 14th. I received several push notifications on my phone minutes after midnight and I swear they said he passed earlier. I doubt he died and it went straight to press. Now all the news sources say he died on the 14th and I can find no mention of the 13. Wishful thinking on the presses part to honor him each Pi day? Mandela effect? Anyway Pi day it is. I was up late watching the PA special election and checking news all night.

hey @168sean168 Sean, maybe I'm wrong. All the news sources now say he died on the 14th. I received several push notifications on my phone minutes after midnight and I swear they said he passed earlier. I doubt he died and it went straight to press. Now all the news sources say he died on the 14th and I can find no mention of the 13. Wishful thinking on the presses part to honor him each Pi day? Mandela effect? Anyway Pi day it is. I was up late watching the PA special election and checking news all night.

No problem. Yes Google page search showed the date as 14 March. Maybe by the time they got someone to confirm the death, it is already 14 March
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member

He died in Cambridge, UK so it was the 14th there. It was the 13th in the United States.
  • meinaz wrote: »

He died in Cambridge, UK so it was the 14th there. It was the 13th in the United States.

Mystery is solved!
  • johncolombo
    edited March 2018
    meinaz wrote: »

well done @meinaz
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    Inspirational-Life-Quote-Stephen-Hawking-Greatest-Enemy-Knowledge-Ignorance-Illusion-1.jpg
    R.I.P., Stephen.
    That's actually very true. It's misinformation or propaganda....timeless enemies.

RIP
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.