EA Forums - Banner

Counterproductive

I noticed this when I was around 15-20 levels. I was levelling up too fast but just went with it. You will find that buildings for levels get lower in price the lower the level they are at compared to you. I remember reading that Tony's compound was costing 200,000 but I only paid something like 150,000 because I was a level up (I think). The multiplier is only a pain to people who are at the highest level (I think).

I'm not buying Skinner's House because I want to see if they lower the price when I level up.

Does this make sense to anyone? I think this is what happens. :?

Replies

• sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Alot of us started playing before there were so many bonus multipliers, so we didn't level up quite as fast as people do nowadays.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    My original town never had this issue as i started from day1, but my kids town, my 2nd town and my mrs town have the leveling up too fast happen slightly annoying but hey ho lol
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • Skyrim-mrp
    3684 posts
    edited May 2013
    I levelled too fast but that was my fault by having a farm lol but it all worked out fine :lol:
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Does it really matter if you level up 'too fast'? What's the drawback? :shock:
  • mmmmdonuts0
    192 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:

It's just annoying when you have a lot of buildings to build but can't afford them. I still can't afford Skinner's House. :cry:

You also end up with loads of quests.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:

It's just annoying when you have a lot of buildings to build but can't afford them. I still can't afford Skinner's House. :cry:

Ive got loads on my 2nd town! Never seen so many before :lol: my main town is lucky if it see's 3 or more :lol:
  • mmmmdonuts0
    192 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:

Ive got loads on my 2nd town! Never seen so many before :lol: my main town is lucky if it see's 3 or more :lol:

And it was such a pain during WD!! And now Squidport...
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:

That just means you have loads of gameplay ahead of you! :D:D:D
  • mmmmdonuts0
    192 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:

Always look on the bright side of life... :lol:
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:

Always look on the bright side of life... :lol:

You know it! :wink:

Haha, you'll catch up soon enough!

• NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    That vid just reminded me of Spaceballs "when will now be now......soon!" Emoticon38.gif
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:

What he said... Yes, you have alot of game playing ahead, but it will be annoying to be in want of tons of money, and then a new event comes... perhaps with Squidport...

Anyway, I still think it is counterproductive. I now try to level up more slowly, that means I can't really visit too many on my friendslist. (Sorry for that). I will be level 20 in a few hours, and I haven't even begun building the unisex saloon, I'm in need of in-game money... The buildings are just piling up, while I level up and up and up...

Oh well, it's not really a big problem, just a smaller issue. It feels counterproductive trying NOT to level up, but I still enjoy the game :)
  • AirborneSentinel
    25 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    I noticed this when I was around 15-20 levels. I was levelling up too fast but just went with it. You will find that buildings for levels get lower in price the lower the level they are at compared to you. I remember reading that Tony's compound was costing 200,000 but I only paid something like 150,000 because I was a level up (I think). The multiplier is only a pain to people who are at the highest level (I think).

I'm not buying Skinner's House because I want to see if they lower the price when I level up.

It has more to do with whatever the max level attainable is at. Every time there is an update that extends the current level cap the previous buildings are lowered in price a little bit. It isn't effected by your current level.
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited May 2013

It has more to do with whatever the max level attainable is at. Every time there is an update that extends the current level cap the previous buildings are lowered in price a little bit. It isn't effected by your current level.

Yeah, this. Once you've reached max levels, you'll be paying the suckers' price for buildings as soon as they come out :lol:
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:

Just bare in mind it might not happen. I remember my partner was trying the same tactic for burns manor and when the update came it was still the same price,just have to wait and see.
  • RockStrongoh
    47 posts
    edited May 2013
    The levels are independent of building tasks, so I would think you would want to climb up to level 29 just to start earning some donuts!

I think this game is more a test of patience than counterproductive. This is an unfortunate feature of all of these types of games. (Smurfs Village comes to mind) I know it sucks to wait for tasks to complete as you level up and it can require extreme patience for things but everything will come all in good time. Besides, the way these types of games are designed, if you blitz through it you will end up with nothing to do! Just be glad that there is still so much ahead of you!

If there is an event like whacking day, then by all means ignore the tasks and focus on you immediate goal! I did it for Christmas and Valentine's as well (I started 2 days before Halloween ended). It took way too much time to do anything else, I do have a life ( I think). However, it left me with still more to do and look forward to after it was over. Its a matter of perspective.

You don't have to initiate the tasks if you don't want to and should play the game the way you want to. Personally when I built something, I allowed it to finish and then completed the tasks until they completely stopped. Only then would I build the next one. It can take a while, but eventually tasks will require characters or buildings you don't have yet so the task list will stop growing. At that point, task book closed and do what you will, like buy land or add deco (I'm saving up for the escalator right now and I don't farm....and it sucks because I swore to do nothing else until I get it...4 days and counting....35% there...its the principle of it...maybe in retrospect I don't have a life!).
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    It's been hinted at here, but since the original post and several follow-ups were based on a misunderstanding, I thought it would be helpful to clarify what the "level multiplier" really does. Most importantly, it is NOT YOUR LEVEL that causes a buildings price to increase, it is the LEVEL OF THE BUILDING and it's distance from the current max level in the game. It doesn't matter what level you are, the building price is the same for everybody. Currently the multipliers are:

Level 24 Buildings: 1.3x
    Level 25 Buildings: 1.3x
    Level 26 Buildings: 1.4x
    Level 27 Buildings: 1.6x
    Level 28 Buildings: 2x
    Level 29 Buildings: 3x

When they introduce level 30, all these multipliers will shift up, so that there is no multiplier on level 24 buildings and the level 30 buildings cost 3x the base price.

You might be wondering "why have multipliers at all, when they could just increase the base price?". Well then they'd have to go and adjust all the base prices every time they add a new level. It's just easier to keep a formula in place that applies a multiplier to the cost of all buildings in the top 5 levels.

So, it's ok if your player level gets ahead of the buildings that you're working on. Your level won't cause building costs to go up. It will, however, increase the requirements for each conform-o-meter rating. That's why you'll often see your stars go down a bit when you level up; the requirements just got higher. Less stars means less money & exp, but a mere 0.5% isn't going to hurt you too bad. If you got WAY ahead in levels, you might be down a couple percentage points, but it's probably still worth it to work on the limited-time quests while you can enjoy them!
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited May 2013
    bjserink: Thanks for your post, which clarified this issue. It seems I have been mistaken then. So levelling up as fast as I can, wouldn't be as hurtful (due to lack of in-game cash) as I would believe. Well, then I will continue going through my complete friendslist each day once again.
  • bjserink
    35 posts
    edited May 2013
    You're very welcome FluidEmotion. But I do have to give credit to tstotips.com, where I learned about this, and many other interesting details of the game.

I too am at a stage in the game (nearing level 20) where the buildings start coming fast, often more than one under construction at a time. Didn't take long for my cash reserves to run dry and now I can only build the next building once I save up for it (takes me about a day). Looking ahead, the buildings only get more and more expensive, so I might take a break from the questline and invest in more income-generating housing. The problem is, in the long run I want to have mostly white houses as they pay out the best for the space they take up, but they are quite expensive and take 3 weeks or so to pay for themselves. I can start turning a profit on purples in only 2 - 3 days, but they're a lot bigger and would require buying more land. I'll probably do a bit of both. For more on house production analysis, check out this other thread I started: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9508464.page
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.