EA Forums - Banner

ETA on glitch fix?

Replies

• Daved that is my understanding of what he said also. Person A (not on this site) hacks the game via a new program. In order to hack their game, they have to access the EA server to put in extra cash and donuts into said game. While making changes to person A's game on server, person B's game get affected in the process.
  • I am not accusing any specific person of hacking but it is naive to believe there are no hacker programs. What I am saying is those effected by the glitch are victims not users of the hack program.
    Let assume that player down loads a certain hack program. Player A uses it to change his variables to get donuts. Now in the database is player goodfellow, a nice honest player. When Player A uses the hack program, he also updates goodfellow variables unintentionally but incorrectly. If the database records stay static then everytime Player A uses the hack program he would always update the same invalid variables in goodfellows database record.
    For example, and let's make this very simple, say that the database record is 100 bytes. Becase of bad programming, the 50th position is changed in the hackers record but it also changes a postion 100 positions plus. That would be another players record. This would always be consistant to the glitch
    People who are getting the glitch are victims, not dishonest players.
    This scenario may be difficult for EA to find.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I think my explanation was more detailed and technical :D:D

As one who has pretty much no idea what you said @datasurgeon it certainly sounds plausable to me. But so does a little green man in my phone screwing with my game :D

But I am glad we got your intention clear, and also cant believe I actually helped :o
    Post edited by daved7637397 on
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • niahunt wrote: »
    Their silence is disturbing .....

Their silence is typical. Sadly.

• I think my explanation was more detailed and technical :D:D

As one who has pretty much no idea what you said @datasurgeon it certainly sounds plausable to me. But so does a little greem man in my phone screwing with my game :D

But I am glad we got your intention clear, and also cant believe I actually helped :o

I spoke with the little green man, he has an alibi.
  • So far, this glitch hasn't affected me. I hope I'm not temping fate by saying that. I think @datasurgeon has as valid a theory as anyone else. It makes some sense to me. I don't claim to be knowledgeable on these matters but will throw my 2 cents in anyway. :D
    What if Player A who downloaded the hack program visits his neighbors and somehow changes their variables causing the glitch in their games? Or, Player A's neighbors visit him? There is player interaction on the server side while visiting neighbors, isn't there? I would be curious to know if anyone whose game has this glitch has any neighbors whose games are obviously hacked. By that, I mean that their towns have unreleased content such as items from Act 3. This might explain why this problem reoccurs after getting rollbacks. (Visiting Neighbor A or getting visits from)
    I really feel bad for everyone affected by this glitch and hope that EA is working on this and comes up with a cure soon. This has been way too long.
  • mystery2mi wrote: »
    So far, this glitch hasn't affected me. I hope I'm not temping fate by saying that. I think @datasurgeon has as valid a theory as anyone else. It makes some sense to me. I don't claim to be knowledgeable on these matters but will throw my 2 cents in anyway. :D
    What if Player A who downloaded the hack program visits his neighbors and somehow changes their variables causing the glitch in their games? Or, Player A's neighbors visit him? There is player interaction on the server side while visiting neighbors, isn't there? I would be curious to know if anyone whose game has this glitch has any neighbors whose games are obviously hacked. By that, I mean that their towns have unreleased content such as items from Act 3. This might explain why this problem reoccurs after getting rollbacks. (Visiting Neighbor A or getting visits from)
    I really feel bad for everyone affected by this glitch and hope that EA is working on this and comes up with a cure soon. This has been way too long.

I do have a few suspicious neighbours in my game. Is this the reason why I am reading that some players are unfriending all their friends why this hits them?
  • If a hack of Player A's data really can affect Player B's data directly, then the EA servers must be programmed in a much, MUCH more stupid way than I'd ever imagine. Which is why I'd consider that very unlikely. (Through neighbor visits, well, wouldn't rule that out as rigorously.)
  • I am not confident this is a real root issue possibility code wise, but I cannot say it isn't for sure either.

I have strong suspensions some of my neighbors have used some sort of hack at some point currently or in the past.....and at least one recent neighbor (who I don't really know who they are on any of the TSTO sites) I know does for sure have some sort of hack as he will have all items for an event by the end of the first day.

A hacked game effecting an honest game when visiting........hmmm....I am not sure code wise why or how that would happen change the variables of the visited honest game. Is there a coder here that can say how this might be a possibility...or not?
  • czipotteszti
    127 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Hey guys!
    I would like to add a few things to your brainstorming.
    I am currently a level 121 player, I started in November 2016 because my brother and his wife had the game on their phones and I liked it. They are my only neighbors, and they have never ever used any hacks whatsoever. Me neither. If I like something, I buy it, even donut boxes for real money. I play about 4-5 times a day, it depends.
    I currently have ~6.5 million IGC and 85 donuts. So I am not a big fish at all.

I have been hit by the glitch on Saturday evening. To be honest, I thought that it would go away ( I only noticed the character select button not working at the time). After another login, I noticed the tax collection radius issue (which completely ruins the game, it takes weeks to collect money), and I knew it was bad. I did the usual: logged out, visited neighbors, uninstalled. Nothing helped. I came here, the first thing I saw was this thread.
    I am very upset to read how big the problem is and how many people are affected.
    I reported the problem to EA on Saturday evening, but I'm in Europe, I can't call. I read that callers' problems are usually fixed immediately, which is a bit unfair to those who are not even offered this option and have to wait 72 hours.

The previous events that popped up for me and started this whole problem were events that A) I DID finish or B ) I couldn't even remember playing (although they were allegedly from 2017 and I DO play 4 times a day at least). One of these was a Miss Fair event (?) with an outfit to Lisa. I have no recollection of ever encountering that event, and the game gave me the final prize... for some reason... so I got an outfit for Lisa that I didn't even play for and Lisa had some obligatory tasks popping up. Because of this, my first impression was that it's Lisa who's bugged and killed the game.
    My Springfield Jobs event stopped, I can't craft, act 2 closed down. This was finally an event I was really excited about, and boom! This happens.
    I am waiting for the response from EA, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow (it's 8pm here).
    Can I do anything else? Can I chat with someone from EA? Can you say anything at all?

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to tell my heartbreaking bug story :blush:
  • Hey guys!
    I would like to add a few things to your brainstorming.
    I am currently a level 121 player, I started in November 2016 because my brother and his wife had the game on their phones and I liked it. They are my only neighbors, and they have never ever used any hacks whatsoever. Me neither. If I like something, I buy it, even donut boxes for real money. I play about 4-5 times a day, it depends.
    I currently have ~6.5 million IGC and 85 donuts. So I am not a big fish at all.

I have been hit by the glitch on Saturday evening. To be honest, I thought that it would go away ( I only noticed the character select button not working at the time). After another login, I noticed the tax collection radius issue (which completely ruins the game, it takes weeks to collect money), and I knew it was bad. I did the usual: logged out, visited neighbors, uninstalled. Nothing helped. I came here, the first thing I saw was this thread.
    I am very upset to read how big the problem is and how many people are affected.
    I reported the problem to EA on Saturday evening, but I'm in Europe, I can't call. I read that callers' problems are usually fixed immediately, which is a bit unfair to those who are not even offered this option and have to wait 72 hours.

The previous events that popped up for me and started this whole problem were events that A) I DID finish or B ) I couldn't even remember playing (although they were allegedly from 2017 and I DO play 4 times a day at least). One of these was a Miss Fair event (?) with an outfit to Lisa. I have no recollection of ever encountering that event, and the game gave me the final prize... for some reason... so I got an outfit for Lisa that I didn't even play for and Lisa had some obligatory tasks popping up. Because of this, my first impression was that it's Lisa who's bugged and killed the game.
    My Springfield Jobs event stopped, I can't craft, act 2 closed down. This was finally an event I was really excited about, and boom! This happens.
    I am waiting for the response from EA, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow (it's 8pm here).
    Can I do anything else? Can I chat with someone from EA? Can you say anything at all?

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to tell my heartbreaking bug story :blush:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Unless you have the call or live chat option, unfortunately there isnt much you can do but wait for EA to reply. It is unfair and I dont understand why its like this, but it is and sadly we cant do much about it.

Again, sorry to hear you got hit. Please keep us posted of your progress if you dont mind
  • Just to clarify, if this glitch is caused by a misbehaving program that is incorrectly updating the database, it would have nothing to do with your neighbors. What would be updated incorrectly are records in the database either physically adjacent or adjacent by an index.

If by index then they were called up by key. Very unlikely that the one using the hack program would bring up any of his neighbors. Odds would be 100 ( max neighbors ) out of the entire player population.
  • Just to clarify, if this glitch is caused by a misbehaving program that is incorrectly updating the database, it would have nothing to do with your neighbors. What would be updated incorrectly are records in the database either physically adjacent or adjacent by an index.

If by index then they were called up by key. Very unlikely that the one using the hack program would bring up any of his neighbors. Odds would be 100 ( max neighbors ) out of the entire player population.

Can one of the mods PLEASE put @datasurgeon in contact directly with EA?!?!? For God sake, at least get him access to the coding! Clearly this forum is capable of solving this if EA is not interested... dont company's pay people IRL to do this stuff!?!?!?
    "I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it! "

Can one of the mods PLEASE put @datasurgeon in contact directly with EA?!?!? For God sake, at least get him access to the coding! Clearly this forum is capable of solving this if EA is not interested... dont company's pay people IRL to do this stuff!?!?!?
    tumblr_n5zv00YDZJ1s2wio8o1_500.gif

• Thanks for the vote of confidence but I would have to learn all EA processes.
    While I don't know what database they use, some databases have valid field edits. Which means if the field expects only 1 or 2, it would reject any other value like 3. We know for example that Lisa pin event is part of the glitch, if that was made invalid then any update trying to insert that value would be rejected by the database.
    If EA has this option, they should implement it. If any process try to enter an invalid value then the entire update would be rejected.
    While I don't know what database they use, some databases have valid field edits. Which means if the field expects only 1 or 2, it would reject any other value like 3. We know for example that Lisa pin event is part of the glitch, if that was made invalid then any update trying to insert that value would be rejected by the database.
    If EA has this option, they should implement it. If any process try to enter an invalid value then the entire update would be rejected.

Perhaps they do have this option, but with the introduction of the 'Classic Mini Events', they may have had to disable or circumvent it in some way. Maybe this is the cause of the problem.
  • I mean at the end of the day if this is a glitch their is a way to trigger it, and therefore a way to avoid it.

If it was a bug, then the variables change, no?

However I'm glad various possibilities have been ruled out, I t shows the dedication of the games fanbase (emphasis on fanbase, instead of gaming company).

Perhaps they do have this option, but with the introduction of the 'Classic Mini Events', they may have had to disable or circumvent it in some way. Maybe this is the cause of the problem.

Well, I hope you are right and the 'fix' is to just end classic mini events all together. Sorry not sorry for those that have not played from the beginning but if it is just that simple then I guess discontinuing the recycled events **** is overdue.
    "I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it! "
  • Whatever it is, lets hope they are actually working on it. At least with this thread having an active life the 'EA lurkers' will see we are not happy campers. I have basically stopped playing except for the start of each act. I finish by rushing, get crafting material, the stop playing until the next act. I will not be buying any donuts, which I do to support the games longevity, until its not a waste.

A simple acknowledgement there is an issue, here, by an EA staffer, not one of the Mods who must feel really stuck in the middle, would be a great first step.
    Unsolicited friends requests are all denied.Please PM me.
  • Willy9292 wrote: »
    Whatever it is, lets hope they are actually working on it. At least with this thread having an active life the 'EA lurkers' will see we are not happy campers.

Sorry if I sound unduly pessimistic, but there has been an active thread on this bug in “Bugs & Issues” dating all the way back to June of last year. Net effect on EA: zip.
    Willy9292 wrote: »
    A simple acknowledgement there is an issue, here, by an EA staffer, not one of the Mods who must feel really stuck in the middle, would be a great first step.

I agree, that would be great. But it’s never happened before. Frankly, I want more than a simple acknowledgement. I want at least some info on what they know about the nature of the problem, their plans for addressing it, and a guess as to when it might be fixed. I’m tired of this “they’re aware of the problem and are working hard to fix it” weasel speak.