EA Forums - Banner

Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery Game

Prev13
Phinnea
1388 posts Member
Anyone playing? I've had it a couple days, but am playing very casually. So far, not bad.
phinneacttf in the Crawl to the Finish

Replies

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I started playing it and am enjoying it. I am interested to see how the story continues.
  • I hear waiting for energy is most of the game- sounds horrid :(
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    I think if you tried to play all the time, yeah, but all these games you have to wait for something. You have to wait for the Simpsons to finish their jobs. In Futurama, we wait for fuel to refill. With these freemium games there's always something.

I'm enjoying it. Not sure why they bothered with sound as they don't talk, just make noises, but learning spells is kinda fun.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    This criticism of the game from a very recent review:
    Hogwarts Mystery has drawn criticism for the way it monetizes the game, seemingly setting up players for scenarios that are impossible to overcome without waiting or spending real-world money to progress.

Hardly surprising, but disappointing.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    Who makes this game?
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    Who makes this game?

“Portkey Games is a video game publishing label of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment founded in 2017 to publish games related to J. K. Rowling’s Wizarding World.”
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    Who makes this game?

“Portkey Games is a video game publishing label of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment founded in 2017 to publish games related to J. K. Rowling’s Wizarding World.”

Thanks. Its a sad statement that the maker has to be a consideration these days!
  • Can we be neighbors in this game and put spells on each other?
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Can we be neighbors in this game and put spells on each other?

we dont have to be neighbors in a game to do that :smirk:
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    @00mesmerelda00 - I was hoping, but so far, it doesn't look like it.

I guess I haven't played many freemium games, but they all monetize by making you wait or pay.
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    so, is it worth it to try (or start the game)?
    i get that it’s a timed game but does it seem like a cash grab or is it actually fun to play?
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • Too bad we can't play together. We need to find a game that we can. Preferably a shooter.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    Too bad we can't play together. We need to find a game that we can. Preferably a shooter.

Uh-oh, that doesnt bode well for me, does it?
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    @fastshadow2 - I I guess that depends on what you're looking for. I haven't spent a nickel, but I'm very casual. Just go in when there's nothing to do in my other games. You play a student at Hogwarts whose brother caused trouble a few years back. You learn spells, charms and flying by tapping while your energy lasts. The bar refills in about an hour and a half. The animation really annoys me, but the game play does not. It would be fun if you could make friends with other players and not just the characters in the story.
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    @Phinnea How far along are you? I am currently on level 6 of year 1. I have also been playing really casually. I do a little each day. I don't start the next activity unless I know I will have time to finish in the time limit. I am enjoying it but could understand while others would not.
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    thanks @Phinnea thats helpful to know
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    @meinaz, same place, level 6, year 1. Learning Nox.

Don't know if I'll stick with it, but it's fun for now.
  • simpsonare
    2215 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm at the beginning of year two and close to level 10.eqnjtHV.jpg
    This is my opinion...
    I think this is far from a cash grab currently. Yes there are premium items. But really no need to purchase said items. The gem here is the story. Has a good story and likeable characters. Who in there right mind would pay just to get energy? What you get for free... if that's considered a cash grab (eye roll*). Some people are just impatient and want a game to mindlessly occupy them. As I stated, I think the game has a great story. No real reason to spend money currently. Unless you want to progress through the story faster. But in my opinion a waste of money. I'm enjoying playing through it and looking forward to the progression of it.
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    The story is keeping me playing. The game play is a little too repetitive and not all that entertaining. If I didn't like the story, I would have probably already quit. I do like the dueling though at least that makes me feel like I am actively playing a game. I am currently in year 1 chapter 8 almost to level 8.
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    @simpsonare. I think you're a whole year ahead of us. I'm near the end of year 1, too, though where exactly I'm not sure.

It makes me want to reread the books.