EA Forums - Banner

Pro tip

Prev134
cdepast
2463 posts Member
start saving your daily challenges for the next event. They will give you a big head start.

Replies

• Thanks cdpast to remind me of that ! Impatiently waiting for the coming event :)
  • This tip has never made even the slightest bit of sense to me. Unless you're someone who struggles to complete event prize tracks until the last possible second, this tip is actually the exact opposite of what you should be doing (and even for those who do struggle to complete event prize tracks, it may still be the wrong decision).

Saving up to three daily challenges for any given event will, at most, give you a head start that's equivalent to about one day's event currency total goal (assuming you earn the same amount each day by logging in the same number of times each day - which is how all of the model calendars are based).

In contrast, doing all of the "normal" daily challenges up until the event starts gives you three additional opportunities to earn donuts from daily challenges, which can be up to 6 donuts per day or 18 donuts total over 3 days. The only way that getting extra event currency will help you earn more donuts is through bonus rounds, and 3 extra daily challenges are never worth more than, at most, 1 bonus round (which means, at most, 3 donuts). It doesn't make any sense to throw away a chance at 18 donuts for a chance at 3 donuts. Also, keep in mind that there's always an option to buy the last prize if you realize you won't make it in time. Even in that case, if you're actually close enough that having 3 extra daily challenges would matter, then the cost to buy the final prize will be somewhere around 0-10 donuts total (which, again, is less than 18).

So, unless you don't get or can't switch to a donut-earning challenge before the event starts, this idea of saving challenges to turn them into event currency is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you should do (except possibly for those very, very few people who will miss the final prize by just a couple of collection cycles and who somehow can predict in advance that they're better off throwing away guaranteed donuts before the event to reduce the amount they'll have to spend at the end of the event for some final prize they just have to have but couldn't earn in time).

If anyone needs further explanation, I'm happy to give it because it drives me crazy to see posts like this before every event when simple math dictates that this "pro tip" is completely the wrong solution for the vast majority of players. (And if you want to argue that the head start gives you peace of mind that's worth more than the donuts you're throwing away by following this "pro tip," I get your argument, but it's based on emotion, not a purely rational choice.)

• frosted1414
    2163 posts Member
    [lots of words]... it drives me crazy to see posts like this before every event when simple math dictates that this "pro tip" is completely the wrong solution for the vast majority of players.
    If 18 donuts is significant to you then you can ignore the tips for pros.

• 0Brooders0
    2187 posts Member
    [lots of words]... it drives me crazy to see posts like this before every event when simple math dictates that this "pro tip" is completely the wrong solution for the vast majority of players.

^^ agree :D
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • [lots of words]... it drives me crazy to see posts like this before every event when simple math dictates that this "pro tip" is completely the wrong solution for the vast majority of players.

If I finish the event a day earlier then I can start to earn bonus donuts sooner
  • mirko_283
    142 posts Member
    It doesn't make any sense to throw away a chance at 18 donuts for a chance at 3 donuts.

How many chances are there to win 3 times a daily challenge with 6 donuts (even canceling one once a day) in 3 days ?
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Devils advocate: if 18 donuts isnt significant, why worry about a head start at all?

Disclaimer: not trying to stir the pot. I dont care at all either way, I never understood all the hype about the "head start" to begin with. But as I said- to each his own!
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • 1EllieG7294
    1869 posts Member
    People just like to get ahead. That's how I get my down time between acts.
    I have three crappy tasks right now. I am definitely not doing them anyway so might as well save them and only do them if they turn to donut rewards.
  • People just like to get ahead. That's how I get my down time between acts.
    I have three crappy tasks right now. I am definitely not doing them anyway so might as well save them and only do them if they turn to donut rewards.

Now this line of thinking I understand. Gotya. Thanks
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • ArmpitAttack
    2353 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't get paid for this. Which means it's time to fire my agent again. Amatuer translates into doing the thing out of love. So I'm definitely not an amatuer either, as it's mostly done as an addiction and from muscle memory. So I'd classify more as a zombie than a pro.
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member

Devils advocate: if 18 donuts isnt significant, why worry about a head start at all?

Disclaimer: not trying to stir the pot. I dont care at all either way, I never understood all the hype about the "head start" to begin with. But as I said- to each his own!
    i don’t usually save up anymore but i am going to miss most of tuesday, so they will help me this event. figures the one day this week i have towork a long day is probably going to be the update :D

fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • [lots of words]... it drives me crazy to see posts like this before every event when simple math dictates that this "pro tip" is completely the wrong solution for the vast majority of players.

18 donuts isn't significant, but I'd rather have 18 than 3. But I guess I'm just an idiot for realizing that a couple thousand widgets of event currency equates to at most maybe finishing an event 1 extra day early

[basic math skills and common sense followed by Frosted1414's snarky reply comment and failed attempt at "humor"]...

18 donuts means very little to me too, but I'd rather earn up to 18 donuts (and at least 3) than, at most, have the opportunity of MAYBE 1 extra bonus round (and MAYBE getting 3 donuts with/without blowing some game cash too) and a few thousand extra event widgets that are all virtually useless once you get the final prize (except for MAYBE that one extra bonus).

But you do you - I'll keep playing the game with a common sense approach and earn more donuts per time invested.

If I finish the event a day earlier then I can start to earn bonus donuts sooner

And you'll earn fewer donuts via the bonus than you would via 3 donut-earning daily challenges (unless all of the challenges only awarded one donut in which case you'd, at a bare minimum, break even).
  • People just like to get ahead. That's how I get my down time between acts.

Now this line of thinking, I can appreciate. If you're not getting donut tasks even when you switch them, it's worth just letting them turn into event currency, getting ahead, and then saving tasks at the end of the event to try to turn them back into donuts at the end.
  • mirko_283 wrote: »
    It doesn't make any sense to throw away a chance at 18 donuts for a chance at 3 donuts.

How many chances are there to win 3 times a daily challenge with 6 donuts (even canceling one once a day) in 3 days ?

Not many, but over the course of 3 days you have a very good chance of getting more than 3 donuts in total.
  • frosted1414
    2163 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I also save DC for each act. What does basic math say about that @chadstraus97 :tongue:
    Also at the end of act 3 so they have a chance to become donuts.
    Oh, consider the pot stired!! @daved7637397 it's fun, to me, to get the first 2 prizes on the prize track the first day. Or get the building and get it to 20% as soon as the act starts. Why not? I suppose I make my own fun :trollface: 《is that still a thing?
  • I also save DC for each act. What does basic math say about that @chadstraus97 :tongue:
    Oh, consider the pot stired!! @daved7637397 it's fun, to me, to get the first 2 prizes on the prize track the first day. Or get the building and get it to 20% as soon as the act starts. Why not? I suppose I make my own fun :trollface: 《is that still a thing?

It's cute that you think you're bothering me. I'll let you attempt to use common sense to determine if that strategy makes sense. BTW, I get just as far on the first day, but I'll let you thump your own chest here, Pro.
  • frosted1414
    2163 posts Member
    Peace my friend @chadstraus97. This forum gets boring some times, it's fun to play the antagonist occasionally to try and get some activity around here.
  • For anyone who wants an adult response to saving daily challenges between event acts (as compared to pre-event), basic math dictates that you should plan to save as many tasks as possible UNLESS completing a task or tasks will allow you to get an extra bonus round of donuts. The same logic applies at the end of an event - if getting more event currency won't get you extra bonus rounds, you're better off saving tasks until the event is over and trying to switch to donut-earning tasks.

Again, to each their own and I apologize for the childish banter my initial response generated. I'm just trying to help the majority of players understand why the "pro tip" above is against your best interests. Sure, it may make you feel better in Act 1, but it means fewer donuts in the long run.
  • Peace my friend @chadstraus97. This forum gets boring some times, it's fun to play the antagonist occasionally to try and get some activity around here.

Lol, fair enough. Peace and apologies. I do have to ask though (call it morbid curiosity) - are we in agreement about how to handle the last couple days of an event?