EA Forums - Banner

Debate--bring back limited time items

Replies

• Linky2g
    665 posts
    edited June 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Id hate to miss out on anything, lucky for me I have been playing since day1 and have everything
    I have everything too rofl

100% club. fist bump
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited June 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    I wasn't going to post in here as I can see there are very mixed views so im going to throw in my 2pence (2cents) :P

My view is quite simple:

If EA bring back the limited or older stuff which newer players don't have yet....that's fine providing they are premium based!

My reason for this is cause the people who got them when they were released had to work hard to get them, example: whacking day, xmas with the coins, Halloween etc.

My other reason is even more simple:

Imagine if you was locked out of the game and missed out on the limited stuff? You would want to have them too? I know I would :) Id hate to miss out on anything, lucky for me I have been playing since day1 and have everything but that being said I know how people would feel as I almost missed out on whacking day due to losing my town :(

Edit: Anyway that just my opinion please don't hate me for it Emoticon38.gif

I don't hate your opinion, in fact I agree 100% :D
  • Jay_Kay_4747
    2866 posts
    edited June 2013
    Methinks this thread should be a poll.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Linky2g wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Id hate to miss out on anything, lucky for me I have been playing since day1 and have everything
    I have everything too rofl

100% club. fist bump

Right back at cha buddy *fist bump* Emoticon38.gif
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I don't hate your opinion, in fact I agree 100% :D

:thumbup: Sweet dude :D
    Methinks this thread should be a poll.

Oh dear god not another poll Emoticon38.gif
  • Jay_Kay_4747
    2866 posts
    edited June 2013
    Hahaha there's definitely no shortage of polls hey!

This thread has good arguments from both sides though. :)
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited June 2013
    There should be a poll on whether we should have more polls.... :D
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited June 2013
    DIrishB wrote:
    While I've been playing since August and have all the LT items and alternate costumes, I have no problem with the rereleasing stuff for newer players to obtain. In fact I'd encourage it. If EA wants to charge donuts for previously released free items (Duff Racer, Holiday items) so those who got that originally don't feel sleighted, that's fine, though I personally would like to see everyone given the same opportunities to obtain LT stuff no matter how late they started playing. The holiday LT stuff should be released, possibly as donut purchases, around those specific holidays, in addition to some new buildings items for the long term players to get something new. Ideally I'd like to see all the episode specific LT stuff released again as well, maybe before Season 25 starts in the Fall. Again, they can charge donuts for the items previously released for free, so those of us who have those items as well as a ridiculous air of elitism and superiority for having them can feel some reprieve at having gotten them for free.

But seriously, it's a mobile video game. If you're seriously measuring any aspect of your self worth based on having an in game item that another player can no longer get, you need to speak with a professional.

Also, as said, by not allowing these items to be rereleased at some point, it promotes or encourages less honest players to go the hack route. It makes perfect financial sense for EA to release them for profit instead of losing out that potential income to hacking. Also, for completists like myself, it may even deter some people from playing or continuing to play knowing they're missing out on some items.

So again, it really comes down to the argument of "I've been playing longer than you so I deserve stuff you can't get", which is absolutely ridiculous and quite childish, versus a way for EA to make more money (not that they need it but its the name of the game) and continue to expand their player and customer base by occasionally releasing older limited time items. Limited time is defined as being available for a limited amount of time, not available for only ONE spam of limited time and never again. As long as it doesn't becomes a regularly purchasable item through cash or donuts its living up to that definition.

This! I wholeheartedly agree!
    Linky2g wrote:
    idk why you would put status in an item.

-99% of people arent going to visit your town because they arent your friends.
    -probably 60% of your friends list doesnt visit you because who cares, its $45
    -limited time items never work because being unable to get something makes completionists bored and they go to a new game.

put every item that was Limited Edition up to this date in the mystery boxes on 0.01% (for big buildings and characters) to 1.5% (for valentines bushes and trees) chance to obtain.

problem solved.

The only item that should remain unavailable is the Mapple store because duh...android. Maybe the Duff Racer because it was given out to those who were around at launch or whatever.

Also a very good reply. I even had the same proposition for the mystery boxes in another thread a while back.

I think these two posts covers the arguments for letting limited items be available again in a good way. Just want to add Android players might possibly get a chance to even get some of that stuff for free too. Since we actually never had that possibility, though I don't really believe that will happen. But atleast let us charge donuts for them...

EDIT: Any reason why my quoting suddenly didn't work?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Edit your post, and untick Disable BB code
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree that it should be a reward for the long time players. Unless it is like in Fat Tony's case, where it would be dumb to just include Legs and Louie and not Fat Tony for everyone.

Fat tony had a special unique quest line that only the people who got him on original release got to do. Everyone got to do the rerelease quest line so if they do that with old limited items that would be neat. Shauna came out with vday and had a tie in quest with Bart so if they brought her back the people that buy her on rerelease shouldn't get to experience that quest line. But everyone who had that char before will get to experience the new quest line that comes with the rerelease. Then also on rerelease they bring out a costume for anyone who had the char before. And they could keep doing that each year on the anniversary of the char bring out the old costume for players who didn't get it and a new costume for old players. So then old players will always be a year ahead of new players on special items. Cause the new players can only purchase the stuff from the year before if they don't have it kinda thing.
  • Salsero1973
    29 posts
    edited June 2013
    Honestly - since I have only been playing since February I missed out on the Helloween, XMAS and Thanksgiving Items, as well as the cool brown house.

Having a chance to buy eye-candy such as the graveyards, subatomic accelerator, mapple store or cool brown house for donuts, I'd gladly do so any time.

On the other hand - by April of next year I'd be greatly disappointed to get another bout of whacking day with the same rewards.

Maybe if events are recurring (and I'd bet Helloween and XMAS are), have some rewards be exclusive to that year's event (e.g.: House of Evil, Heck House Skin exclusive for Helloween 12) and have some prices always be available every time this kind of event launches (e.g.: Cemetaries, Pumpkins, Santa's Village, Windsock & Tents)...?
  • darrenholm736
    1277 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    As an Android user, it does make me feel sad that I've missed out on a lot of great content that Apple users have been able to get.

I really wanted Barney but was reluctant to spend 250 donuts on the Bowlarama - but then we had Gill's sale so I relented and bought a boat load, so that got me all of the premium items that I'd missed in the previous events.

When I visit my friends towns, there's so much great stuff that they have that I can't possibly get at the moment - especially the Halloween and Valentines day items, so I'd really appreciate the chance to get hold of some of these older items.

But then again, Squidport should hopefully be just around the corner so I'll be busy getting all those items and that will take my mind off it for a while... :D
  • DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Honestly - since I have only been playing since February I missed out on the Helloween, XMAS and Thanksgiving Items, as well as the cool brown house.

Having a chance to buy eye-candy such as the graveyards, subatomic accelerator, mapple store or cool brown house for donuts, I'd gladly do so any time.

On the other hand - by April of next year I'd be greatly disappointed to get another bout of whacking day with the same rewards.

Maybe if events are recurring (and I'd bet Helloween and XMAS are), have some rewards be exclusive to that year's event (e.g.: House of Evil, Heck House Skin exclusive for Helloween 12) and have some prices always be available every time this kind of event launches (e.g.: Cemetaries, Pumpkins, Santa's Village, Windsock & Tents)...?

I think the best approach for Holiday items is to bring back the old stuff as premium items that can be purchased for donuts, while introducing some new items that can be obtained through quests or events (like Whacking Day). This way there's something worthwhile for everyone and a good way for EA to make some money while pleasing both the old and new players. Quite simple, really.
  • TRTX84
    556 posts
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if we get Halloween and XMAS again that it will be all of the same stuff from last year PLUS a new set of quests for those of us who did the rest last year.

The idea being that anybody playing XMas for the first time will have TONS of content to dig through, while those of us who did it all last year will still have something to keep us busy.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    There should be a poll on whether we should have more polls.... :D

Good god Noooooooooooooooooo Emoticon38.gif
  • DavidGI99I
    14 posts
    edited June 2013
    As an Android user, it all feels pretty harsh that I've missed out on loads of items just because I didn't buy an iPhone.

It really depends on how fair EA feel like being to Android users.
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    DavidGI99I wrote:
    As an Android user, it all feels pretty harsh that I've missed out on loads of items just because I didn't buy an iPhone.

Just one more reason you should've got an iPhone :P hahaha j/k
  • Tedwise27
    59 posts
    edited June 2013
    It does suck that this so recently came out for android. I do think they should bring them back, at least on the holidays. That way it is still a limited release and you have to be patient for it, but there is hope.
  • azchristopher
    239 posts
    edited June 2013
    DavidGI99I wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with being fair. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan had been to reuse the holiday stuff. Now that the game has done so well financially maybe they release a bunch of new holiday stuff.

As for season content I just don't see the point as they won't be promoting those episodes anymore. I don't care if they offer them again but I don't see why they would.
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited June 2013
    dominic115 wrote:
    I don't want them back, we played first, we got the items, it shows we were early players. Just because 1/2 of you don't have one of the items you want it back because you want to have everything.

Every argument against re-releasing limited time stuff is a different permutation of the above. All of them boil down to the same thing: a warped sense of superiority and a pathetic means of enforcing self-worth. Nobody cares if you were an early player. You know you were an early player. Is that not good enough?

Thus far, nobody really has an authentic argument against re-releasing old content in some form.

It really seems that having renewing opportunity to obtain older items and a hope for new players to eventually have all the cool stuff they see in other people's Springfields far outweighs the non-existent benefits of massaging the ego of dominic115 and those like him. If I was EA I would be very interested in making sure newer players that decide to be completionists would have opportunities to obtain old stuff and get close to 100%.

Spirit of inclusion > "I Was Here First" Vigorous Ego Stroking

It you would quit the game because new players could get a chance to have the Duff Racer or Moe's Suit and you'd lose precious inches in the unzip-and-measure contest I highly recommend putting down the iPad and reassessing the point of games like this one. Games that don't have winners and losers. You'd don't win if you have Cool Brown House and some guy from Ohio who just saved up enough to buy a new device and started playing TSTO does not and never will. I know it feels like you're better than them but in reality you are anything but.

(I have every item so it's not that I am advocating limited time items returning for my Springfield.)

How about releasing episode specific content that was free for season 24 with a code included in the purchase of the DVD's or Blu-Rays?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.