EA Forums - Banner

Debate--bring back limited time items

Replies

  • DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    DIrishB wrote:
    Every argument against re-releasing limited time stuff is a different permutation of the above. All of them boil down to the same thing: a warped sense of superiority and a pathetic means of enforcing self-worth. Nobody cares if you were an early player. You know you were an early player. Is that not good enough?

    Thus far, nobody really has an authentic argument against re-releasing old content in some form.

    It really seems that having renewing opportunity to obtain older items and a hope for new players to eventually have all the cool stuff they see in other people's Springfields far outweighs the non-existent benefits of massaging the ego of dominic115 and those like him. If I was EA I would be very interested in making sure newer players that decide to be completionists would have opportunities to obtain old stuff and get close to 100%.

    Spirit of inclusion > "I Was Here First" Vigorous Ego Stroking

    It you would quit the game because new players could get a chance to have the Duff Racer or Moe's Suit and you'd lose precious inches in the unzip-and-measure contest I highly recommend putting down the iPad and reassessing the point of games like this one. Games that don't have winners and losers. You'd don't win if you have Cool Brown House and some guy from Ohio who just saved up enough to buy a new device and started playing TSTO does not and never will. I know it feels like you're better than them but in reality you are anything but.

    Thank you! I just fell in love with you in a totally non-romantic or sexual way, sort of how one would love a sports team or favorite TV show. Awesome and well worded post. Please, have this entire plate of cookies. :)

    Thank you very much! At the risk of invokling the wrath of the exclutionists: I will share these cookies with players that started the game recently or are Android users.

    If you change your mind on the "totally non-romantic or sexual way" you won't keep it secret, right? :lol:

    Hey, anythings possible after a few drinks! Whizzam!

    **Rips off tear-away pants, Gob style**
    sherryt07 wrote:
    sherryt07 wrote:
    These arguments are okay when it comes to limited items that are free or for in-game cash, but for those items that are limited and cost donuts it's a different story I think. And limited donut items seem to be becoming the majority nowadays. If I thought limited donut items were going to come back, I might choose to wait to get them. It's the fact that it says limited time that causes the mad rush to get them. If limited isn't limited why rush.

    Pick me!

    You can't know if they are going to come back or especially when then you'll get them the first time around. The second time around might be a lot more costly. Who knows? You can't take the chance! You must BUY NOW! :D

    I doubt they would raise the prices on donut items, since the donut prices are already high. But isn't this a similar argument to mine. Limited time should mean limited, if things are going to be seasonal instead....call them seasonal.

    This is like the 400th time I've said this, but Limited Time is not the same as One Time Only. By re-releasing old LT items again for a limited amount of time, it still falls under the category of Limited Time while giving newer players (latecomers on iDevices and Android players who never had the chance to get this stuff in the first place) the ability to purchase it--waitforit--for a LIMITED TIME. Then it's gone again. Occasionally, perhaps once a year or every six months, they can do it again.

    Now your argument is that you'll feel sleighted because you rushed to buy those items originally thinking they'd never come back. Fair enough, and I could almost understand that if it affected your game in some way...but it doesn't. It merely allows others to add to their towns. Again, I have every single item the game has offered, regular, premium, or limited time, but would still love to see newer players offered the chance to obtain the stuff if they're willing to spend the money (which is probably a smaller portion of the game playing audience than either of us realize). By charging donuts for the previously released LT stuff that was free for the early players, you still win in that you got it free. The other donut LT stuff shouldn't be that big a deal considering the previous statement.

    I'm just blown away at how many people would prefer NOT to allow other gamers to get that stuff (for a price). It's just...strange. It also affords EA a way of increasing profits without having to do additional work (since those items already exist in the code and merely need to be unlocked for purchase at occasional times). This increased profit allows for the possibility and in fact likely outcome of more content for the game, as EA will obviously devote more resources to a game that profitable. It really is a win-win situation for everyone but the egos of the elitists.
  • ElfinPlague
    9 posts
    edited June 2013
    Case in point...

    How many times has the McRib been back for a 'limited time only'? (nasty sandwich)
  • DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Case in point...

    How many times has the McRib been back for a 'limited time only'? (nasty sandwich)

    Debate won! Lock the thread, its done.

    (Seriously though, never understood how people ate those things.)
  • pinklittlebirdie
    867 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Case in point...

    How many times has the McRib been back for a 'limited time only'? (nasty sandwich)



    I love the mcRib, I eat at mcdonalds twice when it is there.
  • ElfinPlague
    9 posts
    edited June 2013
    Oh, I'm not saying they don't taste good, but dude, they're nasty.

    But really, enough! Limited time does not, has not and will not ever mean once only! Let people have the old items! Just don't throw the donuts on the floor, because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    DIrishB wrote:
    This is like the 400th time I've said this, but Limited Time is not the same as One Time Only. By re-releasing old LT items again for a limited amount of time, it still falls under the category of Limited Time while giving newer players (latecomers on iDevices and Android players who never had the chance to get this stuff in the first place) the ability to purchase it--waitforit--for a LIMITED TIME. Then it's gone again. Occasionally, perhaps once a year or every six months, they can do it again.

    Now your argument is that you'll feel sleighted because you rushed to buy those items originally thinking they'd never come back. Fair enough, and I could almost understand that if it affected your game in some way...but it doesn't. It merely allows others to add to their towns. Again, I have every single item the game has offered, regular, premium, or limited time, but would still love to see newer players offered the chance to obtain the stuff if they're willing to spend the money (which is probably a smaller portion of the game playing audience than either of us realize). By charging donuts for the previously released LT stuff that was free for the early players, you still win in that you got it free. The other donut LT stuff shouldn't be that big a deal considering the previous statement.

    I'm just blown away at how many people would prefer NOT to allow other gamers to get that stuff (for a price). It's just...strange. It also affords EA a way of increasing profits without having to do additional work (since those items already exist in the code and merely need to be unlocked for purchase at occasional times). This increased profit allows for the possibility and in fact likely outcome of more content for the game, as EA will obviously devote more resources to a game that profitable. It really is a win-win situation for everyone but the egos of the elitists.

    Did you actually read my posts, or did you just assume this because I was arguing??? I want to know where I said I prefer to not allow other players get limited time items. The only problem I SAID I had was with EA using the term limited. Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion, but you are wrong in attributing these ulterior motives to me. BTW, I don't have everything yet, so my game would profit from bringing things back.
    Case in point...

    How many times has the McRib been back for a 'limited time only'? (nasty sandwich)

    If it comes back every year at the same time of the year, it's actually seasonal; no matter what they choose to call it. Same thing happens at Popeyes with their crawfish bites every November.
  • TRTX84
    556 posts
    edited June 2013
    Are we really arguing semantics?

    "Limited Time" means it won't always be around, and if it does come back may not always be at the same time or for the same duration.

    They could bring back the Holiday update EVERY SINGLE YEAR and it would still be limited time Christmas content. Because it's here, is guaranteed to go away, and we don't know when it will come back or for how long.
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited June 2013
    @sherryt07: Seasonal is ultimately only one form of limited time, wouldn't you say...? I'm fine with the use of the word "limited", where it probably would be a bit more correct with "seasonal"... It isn't the wrong usage either way.

    EDIT: TRTX84 beat me to it...
  • slivdawg77
    422 posts
    edited June 2013
    They may rerelease characters, like Shauna and Kang, but I doubt they will rerelease episode tie-in items. I'm sure we'll have more episode tie-in items next season-- 25 years of The Simpsons is a milestone! :)

    This is all I truly care about is charaters! Where they show you all the characters up but if you don't have them they are still shaded out!
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Some fine restaurants change their menus with the seasonal changes. I can't wait till winter and I get some "limited" squash. Plus, I have the hardest time in summer, what with the "limited" allergies I have.
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited June 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    Did you actually read my posts, or did you just assume this because I was arguing??? I want to know where I said I prefer to not allow other players get limited time items. The only problem I SAID I had was with EA using the term limited. Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion, but you are wrong in attributing these ulterior motives to me. BTW, I don't have everything yet, so my game would profit from bringing things back.


    If it comes back every year at the same time of the year, it's actually seasonal; no matter what they choose to call it. Same thing happens at Popeyes with their crawfish bites every November.

    Really? It still qualifies as limited. Nothing has been re-released at the same time of year it was previously released, so calling it 'seasonal' at the moment is incorrect anyway.

    You are fighting a losing battle by arguing semantics over a marketing scheme. This is far from the first time something has been given the label 'limited time' only to return sometime later.

  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:
    sherryt07 wrote:
    Did you actually read my posts, or did you just assume this because I was arguing??? I want to know where I said I prefer to not allow other players get limited time items. The only problem I SAID I had was with EA using the term limited. Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion, but you are wrong in attributing these ulterior motives to me. BTW, I don't have everything yet, so my game would profit from bringing things back.


    If it comes back every year at the same time of the year, it's actually seasonal; no matter what they choose to call it. Same thing happens at Popeyes with their crawfish bites every November.

    Really? It still qualifies as limited. Nothing has been re-released at the same time of year it was previously released, so calling it 'seasonal' at the moment is incorrect anyway.

    You are fighting a losing battle by arguing semantics over a marketing scheme. This is far from the first time something has been given the label 'limited time' only to return sometime later.

    Yet, I'm still arguing. I wonder why? I understand lots of people and places use the term "limited" inaccurately. It's my opinion.

    Its too bad the same thing is happening here that happened on the gun debate. Nobody is respecting my right to my own opinion. Even if EVERYONE thinks I'm wrong, I have the right to believe what I want. And really, does what I believe hurt anybody? You guys want to berate me until I change my opinion. I can tell you now, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

    BTW......most of the limited time items in this game have come from seasonal updates. If they return in the same season the next year, would you consider me right then??? Because if they do return, that will most likely be the way EA does it; offer us the old items in addition to anything new they add.
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited June 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    Yet, I'm still arguing. I wonder why? I understand lots of people and places use the term "limited" inaccurately. It's my opinion.

    Its too bad the same thing is happening here that happened on the gun debate. Nobody is respecting my right to my own opinion. Even if EVERYONE thinks I'm wrong, I have the right to believe what I want. And really, does what I believe hurt anybody? You guys want to berate me until I change my opinion. I can tell you now, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

    BTW......most of the limited time items in this game have come from seasonal updates. If they return in the same season the next year, would you consider me right then??? Because if they do return, that will most likely be the way EA does it; offer us the old items in addition to anything new they add.

    :roll:

    You are not being berated for your opinion. You are arguing semantics and posted the definition of the term. Others are pointing out that the way they use the term fits within the definition you posted. If you can't purchase them now? Then they were limited. It would only cease to be limited if they brought them back permanently.

    You are playing the victim for no reason.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:
    sherryt07 wrote:
    Yet, I'm still arguing. I wonder why? I understand lots of people and places use the term "limited" inaccurately. It's my opinion.

    Its too bad the same thing is happening here that happened on the gun debate. Nobody is respecting my right to my own opinion. Even if EVERYONE thinks I'm wrong, I have the right to believe what I want. And really, does what I believe hurt anybody? You guys want to berate me until I change my opinion. I can tell you now, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

    BTW......most of the limited time items in this game have come from seasonal updates. If they return in the same season the next year, would you consider me right then??? Because if they do return, that will most likely be the way EA does it; offer us the old items in addition to anything new they add.

    :roll:

    You are not being berated for your opinion. You are arguing semantics and posted the definition of the term. Others are pointing out that the way they use the term fits within the definition you posted. If you can't purchase them now? Then they were limited. It would only cease to be limited if they brought them back permanently.

    You are playing the victim for no reason.

    Now I'm playing the victim. Tell me what else I'm doing, since MY opinion doesn't matter.

    I looked up opinion too.

    o·pin·ion
    Noun
    1.A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    2.The beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited June 2013
    Lol. Wow. I'm done arguing with people who can't discuss things like an adult. No one said your opinion doesn't matter.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:
    Lol. Wow. I'm done arguing with people who can't discuss things like an adult. No one said your opinion doesn't matter.

    I'm actually an older adult. I really try to respect others rights to their own opinions, even if I think they are wrong. And how can you say no one said my opinion doesn't matter. Every post has been my opinion, but that didn't stop people from posting how I was wrong.

    I believe that Doctor Who is the best show on TV.
    I believe EA is overpricing donuts.
    I believe the mods here are doing a great job.
    I believe the word limited is misused if there are other more descriptive words to use.

    BTW....an opinion can still have meaning even when facts are wrong.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:
    Lot of entitlement in this thread over such trivial items.

    When this game came out, I wasn't even aware it existed because I didn't have an iPhone. The day I got an iPhone, I downloaded this game. Lol at people wanting to be 'rewarded' for discovering the game at an earlier time :roll:. If you were one of the first players, great. You are probably months ahead in progress than many of the new people.

    The concept of limited time items on a game like this makes no sense to me and comes off as nothing more than a way to hype stuff and get people to impulse buy. I have to question whether or not this stuff is truly limited. It would be dumb for EA to miss out on re-releasing stuff for people to buy if they want it. It's not like it would cost them anything to put that stuff back onto the server. It's a win-win for them. Also, as someone else stated, if the only other avenue to get some of those buildings is by hacking, it provides a lot more incentive for someone to go that route. Some people just want to have all the buildings and design their town to their liking without caring to play a childish virtual game of keep up with the Joneses.

    Maybe this guy can speak up for me. He seems to understand what I was trying to say.
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited June 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    kmendo88 wrote:
    Lol. Wow. I'm done arguing with people who can't discuss things like an adult. No one said your opinion doesn't matter.

    I'm actually an older adult. I really try to respect others rights to their own opinions, even if I think they are wrong. And how can you say no one said my opinion doesn't matter. Every post has been my opinion, but that didn't stop people from posting how I was wrong.

    I believe that Doctor Who is the best show on TV.
    I believe EA is overpricing donuts.
    I believe the mods here are doing a great job.
    I believe the word limited is misused if there are other more descriptive words to use.

    BTW....an opinion can still have meaning even when facts are wrong.

    Actually, a person could be a hundred years old, and still argue like a child... When that is said, no one here berated you at all for your opinions, just thought you were misunderstanding the fact that limited didn't mean one-time exclusive. Things can be limited and come back. If you prefer to call them seasonal instead, that's fine, it's still limited...

    All your four other statements here are fine opinions. No one will criticize you for them, but others might have some other opinions. And after all this is a debate, if you can't accept that others don't share your point of view, that's nothing to be so upset about. Playing the victim card here is a bit unfair towards the ones you are debating with.

    By all means, let's say EA should call the limited items for seasonal items, do you still feel they should never be brought back? (Or do you think you'd NEVER buy them in the first place if that's what they were initially called?)
  • Cotvan_tikal
    128 posts
    edited June 2013
    The two and only items that I regret missing, either because I started playing just a month too late, or because I was just a week behind the updates, is the Duff Racer and the Witch Marge skin. Best guess is that both of these items will make a second appearance at some point. Btw, does anyone know if the Duff Racer is featured in an episode? If so, I don't remember it.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    kmendo88 wrote:
    Lol. Wow. I'm done arguing with people who can't discuss things like an adult. No one said your opinion doesn't matter.

    I'm actually an older adult. I really try to respect others rights to their own opinions, even if I think they are wrong. And how can you say no one said my opinion doesn't matter. Every post has been my opinion, but that didn't stop people from posting how I was wrong.

    I believe that Doctor Who is the best show on TV.
    I believe EA is overpricing donuts.
    I believe the mods here are doing a great job.
    I believe the word limited is misused if there are other more descriptive words to use.

    BTW....an opinion can still have meaning even when facts are wrong.

    Actually, a person could be a hundred years old, and still argue like a child... When that is said, no one here berated you at all for your opinions, just thought you were misunderstanding the fact that limited didn't mean one-time exclusive. Things can be limited and come back. If you prefer to call them seasonal instead, that's fine, it's still limited...
    I acknowledge your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I recognize your right to believe it.
    All your four other statements here are fine opinions. No one will criticize you for them, but others might have some other opinions. And after all this is a debate, if you can't accept that others don't share your point of view, that's nothing to be so upset about. Playing the victim card here is a bit unfair towards the ones you are debating with.
    I believe the "I believe" at the beginning of my statements makes all four of my statements actual opinions. And another person calling me a victim? I wonder how many forum regulars reading this really believe I think I'm a victim. Most of them know I can handle myself on this forum. You don't see anyone coming to my rescue do you.
    Edit... changed five to four. :roll:
    By all means, let's say EA should call the limited items for seasonal items, do you still feel they should never be brought back? (Or do you think you'd NEVER buy them in the first place if that's what they were initially called?)
    If you actually read all my posts in this thread, and obviously you didn't; you would notice I NEVER said they shouldn't come back. The only thing I'm saying is that limited time isn't limited if they come back, IN MY OPINION. Seasonal, reoccurring there's got to be a more descriptive term. Kmendo88 said something similar to the point I was originally trying to make.
    kmendo88 wrote:
    The concept of limited time items on a game like this makes no sense to me and comes off as nothing more than a way to hype stuff and get people to impulse buy. I have to question whether or not this stuff is truly limited.[/color] It would be dumb for EA to miss out on re-releasing stuff for people to buy if they want it. It's not like it would cost them anything to put that stuff back onto the server. It's a win-win for them. Also, as someone else stated, if the only other avenue to get some of those buildings is by hacking, it provides a lot more incentive for someone to go that route. Some people just want to have all the buildings and design their town to their liking without caring to play a childish virtual game of keep up with the Joneses.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.