EA Forums - Banner

Replies

• Wonder how or if this will affect the game? Will this be the end of KEM farming? :D

Seriously, not happy about it. But then again, the peoducers didnt ask me what I thought
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • It better not affect KEM! Heads will roll if it does!

head-will-roll.gif
  • This is sad. I always like how Apu talks.
  • So does this mean that the kwik-e-Mart will never appear in the show again.
  • So does this mean that the kwik-e-Mart will never appear in the show again.

I hope, just to be salty, the writers do something like have an Asian, dwarf, doctor with OCD and her black, blind, British, pilot wife that is "on the spectrum" buy it.
  • The perpetually-offended claim another victim.
  • The perpetually-offended claim another victim.

:o :D :D
  • Nearly every character on the Simpsons is a caricature. Might as well cancel the whole show before someone else gets offended.
    For the record, I have known many Indian-Americans who speak like Apu and own convenience stores. Apu is a hard-working business owner. Nothing wrong with that.
    I have also known many highly educated Indian-American engineers. Maybe instead of dropping Apu, they could add a character like this.
  • Farewell Apu. A wave edit of Apu would be great to capitalize on right now.
    4bwkd251xlyq.jpeg

• txrabbit3737
    1004 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Well, there's always Mr. Hankey!

Be sure to watch until the end.
    What part of "unsolicited friend requests are all denied" do you NOT get?

• If anyone has read my rant as to why I hate this character you'd probably know I hate Apu.

Not cause he's a stereotype, I'm not of middle eastern descent so that would be kinda hypocritical of me wouldn't it?

Mainly cause he's a jerk, often considers himself to be above others because he's a vegan, he cheated on his wife and sold his children to a zoo (and that's just a hint of it).

The point is, to me he was always under the mark likable. Why did I like him? His catchphrase, his mannerisms, his ironic involvement in awkward situations (the time he portrayed Stone wall Jackson?)

He was and remains an important part of the show. Years ago they killed of Maude Flanders... Then Troy McClure and Lionel Hux were retired, that was a dark day, recently Krabappel was retired due to the actor's death.

The show has lost some pivotal characters and somewhat managed to move on, however this will only be the beginning.

What about Bumblebeeman?

He's offensive to Hispanic individuals!
    What about Carl Calrson?
    He's also voiced By Hank Azaria... It's virtual Blackface!
    .... You dig the problem?
    Take a joke, because you sure as heck can dish them out, I say this to the public rather than the Simpsons writers and creators.

As an individual with Hispanic heritage, I actually enjoy Bumblebeeman, he's based on a Mexican Comedian who really loved Slapstick comedy. He also had a character who was him dressed in an insect costume, except it was bright red....

He was a superhero with a somewhat catchy song.
    (Translated)
    More agile than a turtle, stronger than a mouse, More Noble than a lettuce, his shield is a heart.

Point is, if that isn't homage, I don't know what is. I'm grateful, I showed it to my mother, who obviously said that's not how Mexicans are, but after pointing out who he was mimicking she actually enjoyed the character.

I live in California.

Go to any 7-Eleven, any Circle K, heck any non name convenience store. Chances are 9/10 times the person in there will be of middle eastern descent. HOWEVER, I've seen many other people as well (the 1/10), not to mention that my family doctor from a couple years back was of Indian descent, I once met the manager of a Subway restaurant he was Indian as well.

Yes Apu is a narrow minded stereotype of a character.

However things have changed, the best thing to do is balance it out with other characters, perhaps an assistant to doctor Hibbert whose of Indian descent, or Homers co-worker.

Getting rid of the character has an interesting effect, one, you're admitting fault. Second, you're acting as if it has no basis of interpretation.

I've met convenience store clerk's WAY WORSE than Apu. Quite aggressive and off-putting, unwilling to help or assist. I'd actually be glad to deal with a clerk like Apu, rather than certain individuals I've met. Given who I've said 9/10 of clerk positions are made up of, I'll give you two guesses.

In the end this is what had happened, the film I believe was something closer to: he was the only character to represent my heritage (Apu) at the time.

Yet was taken as, I'm offended and it's politically incorrect.

Yes many were offended, however a large portion also falls on people's understanding of things, people who love to offend will always offend.

Those who respect, will continue to respect, that doesn't mean they can't watch something offensive and have a nice laugh, it simply means they'll have a nice laugh and not say something offensive afterwords.

I have so much to say about this, yet my opinion is like a raindrop in the ocean.

Futile.

Powerless.

Worthless.

Apu is, and shall forever remain an interesting character, removing it for the sake of not offending is ludicrous. Many times we've often told certain people that if they don't enjoy the game (tapped out) they are not obligated to play.

If you don't enjoy the Simpsons or Apu, you are not obligated to watch.
  • giphy.gif?****=3640f6095bd5f4e94463646245d3af0d

Well this sucks.
  • willp_70
    270 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    We are drowning with PC.
    ~baaaaaaa
  • mystery2mi wrote: »
    Nearly every character on the Simpsons is a caricature. Might as well cancel the whole show before someone else gets offended.
    For the record, I have known many Indian-Americans who speak like Apu and own convenience stores. Apu is a hard-working business owner. Nothing wrong with that.
    I have also known many highly educated Indian-American engineers. Maybe instead of dropping Apu, they could add a character like this.

Very well said neighbor!
  • Ko9Z5LU.jpg.....
  • jukan00
    2311 posts Member
    The weirdist thing is Mike Reiss has said in interviews that after Apu's cousin showed up (we got him in game) two years ago, the cousin made fun of Apu and called him a caricature and made fun of his accent. The episode addressed how out of touch and kind of messed up the character is. Then the staff never brought him back. He hasn't been in an episode in the two years since per writer Mike Reiss (I wouldn't know because as a true Simpsons fan I haven't watched an episode in several years). But rather than talk to Hari Kondabolu for his doc "The Problem With Apu" they all avoided him. Nobody would speak to him or have a discussion. Perhaps something could have been accomplished but instead people like Al Jean (who ruined the Simpsons- you know it's true) and Matt Groening made a lot of tone deaf statements about the situation.
    Rather than be upset at some "PC boogeyman" that the staff is making Apu disappear officially, be mad at the staff. The show has carte blanche to do anything they want, they're not getting canceled. They could have taken this and run with it and had a lot of fun. Making fun of oneself is some of the best humor. But instead they just gave up.
  • I still have my Apu ??
  • 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I'd rather they just ignore complainers. Apu does not represent all of India or all of anything. He is a single character who represents himself. Homer doesn't represent every white American either. He represents himself.

People projecting weaknesses or stereotypes onto themselves, have issues with their own self image and need to seek therapy.

I'd rather the show ignore these whiners, but if they're sick of hearing it, i can understand their choice to cut it out completely like the cancer that it is.

I'm also sick of the extremism. If it's not completely insensitive, than it must be hypersensitive? All spectrums now only have poles but no middle ground? Bullsh!t.
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • And if they got rid of all sterotypes and replaced everyone with normal speaking plain jane characters, they would complain there is no racial diversity. You can't win with these people. There only goal in life is to complain and force their views on everyone else. The more everyone bends to their wills, the more power they get and the more they go after. We need to ignore them.

I'm going to wait till a group of Indians starts to complain that they removed a character, and they are not represented in to the show.