EA Forums - Banner

Promotion June 2013

Can someone please explain what "being promoted" means? I've been playing since September. I visited the forums occasionally to see pics of people's towns. The info here saved me from insanity when the harp of death attacked. Although some folks seem to complain a lot regarding a free game, overall I've found folks here to be very generous with their knowledge, creativity and expertise. Thanks!

Replies

• SamCarterX206
    898 posts
    edited June 2013
    Hi,

When are the promotion due, around the 22nd of each month?

I wonder who might be promoted this time around...

Possibly, just possibly might the time be right for me. I got bypassed the last time around...

It looks like you're already promoted!

I see a broken image link in your avatar area- because you linked it wrong (it has to end in the image extensions, i.e. .jpg or .png or .gif) and you linked it to an entire webpage - if you weren't promoted there'd be nothing in your avatar area at all!

If you want to link your avatar picture correctly got to the page you tried to use and click on the Homer Pic you wanted to use once. let it load, and use the resulting link- which ends in .JPG .

Here's the correct version of the link:
    http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15800000/homer-simpson-2-the-simpsons-15836214-279-320.jpg

and here it is displayed:
    homer-simpson-2-the-simpsons-15836214-279-320.jpg
  • Trinity_E86
    323 posts
    edited June 2013
    Hi,

When are the promotion due, around the 22nd of each month?

I wonder who might be promoted this time around...

Possibly, just possibly might the time be right for me. I got bypassed the last time around...

Did you get missed last time tho? As you show a "?" In your avatar space which means you could have one, cos I've added an avatar but it doesn't show the "?" Cos I'm not promoted yet :(

Gonna have to start posting more next couple of days :( don't think I could wait another month lol
  • SamCarterX206
    898 posts
    edited June 2013
    Can someone please explain what "being promoted" means? I've been playing since September. I visited the forums occasionally to see pics of people's towns. The info here saved me from insanity when the harp of death attacked. Although some folks seem to complain a lot regarding a free game, overall I've found folks here to be very generous with their knowledge, creativity and expertise. Thanks!

Being promoted now only means you can use an avatar (the little picture below our usernames). You can set one before being promoted, but it won't show in your posts until you're promoted.

It used to be that you couldn't use HTML and BB code before you were promoted (embed pictures/videos, quotes, etc) but now you can do that before being promoted.
  • SamCarterX206
    898 posts
    edited June 2013
    FluidEmotion, it looks like fanpop (the site your picture is from) does not allow hotlinking since both your avatar and my post show the broken picture icon, so you probably have to download/save the picture to your computer and then upload it a photo uploading site like Photobucket.com.

EDIT: well that's weird, every time I refresh the Homer pic I'm referring to alternately switches between working and broken.

Anyway, while I'm here, FluidEmotion, why don't you check your PMs (private messages) to see if you somehow missed that Promotion PM? Look up top in the link bar below the Tapped Out Banner.

The PM should look something like this:
    Subject: You have been promoted!
    Congratulations! Due to your continued contributions to the EA Community, you have been promoted! With this promotion, you will now be able to do the following things:
    Utilize HTML and BB Code in your posts
    Have a custom avatar and/or signature to show your style

Ignore the HTML and BB Code part- I got promoted back when you had to be promoted to use them.
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited June 2013
    Ever hopeful :)
    Hope my posts thus far have been useful.

Ps. Anyone in UK, Hot Shots is on e4. Hilarious parody of top gun
  • Trinity_E86
    323 posts
    edited June 2013
    mpwarner wrote:

Neo is watching that now lol think that's why he not online yet lol
  • dromtsul
    1169 posts
    edited June 2013
    I got bypassed the last time around
    You registered before people needed to be promoted for an avatar.
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited June 2013
    mpwarner wrote:

Thought he may be :wink: . I'm only watching it until the apprentice.

*not that it isn't funny, I've just got it on dvd*
  • Trinity_E86
    323 posts
    edited June 2013
    mpwarner wrote:
    mpwarner wrote:

Thought he may be :wink: . I'm only watching it until the apprentice.

*not that it isn't funny, I've just got it on dvd*

So has Neo but he always watches it when it on tv lol can hear him laughing already lol
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited June 2013
    FluidEmotion, it looks like fanpop (the site your picture is from) does not allow hotlinking since both your avatar and my post show the broken picture icon, so you probably have to download/save the picture to your computer and then upload it a photo uploading site like Photobucket.com.

EDIT: well that's weird, every time I refresh the Homer pic I'm referring to alternately switches between working and broken.

Anyway, while I'm here, FluidEmotion, why don't you check your PMs (private messages) to see if you somehow missed that Promotion PM? Look up top in the link bar below the Tapped Out Banner.

The PM should look something like this:
    Subject: You have been promoted!
    Congratulations! Due to your continued contributions to the EA Community, you have been promoted! With this promotion, you will now be able to do the following things:
    Utilize HTML and BB Code in your posts
    Have a custom avatar and/or signature to show your style

Ignore the HTML and BB Code part- I got promoted back when you had to be promoted to use them.

Sorry, my real life got me a bit busy for a little while. I definetely have not received a promotion message. That's why I thought I weren't promoted. Well that, and the fact that my avatar pic didn't show. But seems you have just solved why my avatar didn't show. I thought it didn't show because I weren't promoted.
    dromtsul wrote:
    You registered before people needed to be promoted for an avatar.

If that is indeed why I never received a promotion the last time around, I kind of feel a bit silly :)

Anyway, thanks to the both of you for letting me know all this :)
  • grannybern14
    385 posts
    edited June 2013
    Thank you Sam
  • SamCarterX206
    898 posts
    edited June 2013
    Thank you Sam

No problem.
    It still gets me how many people don't realize that image links, whether for use as an avatar or in the image tags, need to end in an image extension like .jpg , .png , .gif ...... otherwise they're trying to link an entire web page.
  • bzmonster
    10 posts
    edited June 2013
    Always wondered what it meant too...Thanks for being the brave one.
  • sammercer12
    368 posts
    edited June 2013
    So is that why my profile won't show
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!