EA Forums - Banner

Goodbye Leon Kompowsky...

Prev13
0Brooders0
2079 posts Member
In world news :o

An episode of The Simpsons featuring Michael Jackson’s voice has been pulled by its producers after a powerful documentary accused the star of sexually abusing two men when they were children.

The singer featured in the Stark Raving Dad Simpsons episode which aired in 1991, but his involvement was only confirmed years later. Jackson voiced Leon Kompowsky, who meets Homer in a psychiatric hospital, where he claims to be the pop star and does the moonwalk.

Producers of The Simpsons have decided to remove the episode from streaming services and TV channels which broadcast the show, with executive producer James L Brooks saying it was “the only choice to make”.

Fellow executive producers Matt Groening and Al Jean agreed with the decision, Brooks said, telling the Wall Street Journal: “The guys I work with – where we spend our lives arguing over jokes – were of one mind on this.

“This was a treasured episode. There are a lot of great memories we have wrapped up in that one, and this certainly doesn’t allow them to remain.”

He added: “I’m against book-burning of any kind. But this is our book, and we’re allowed to take out a chapter.”

:/

Replies

• Castiel19x
    3785 posts Member
    Hope they don't remove him from the game.
    That was a really good episode as well.
    Nuking is always the answer
  • 0Brooders0
    2079 posts Member
    I will be sad if thEAy do :'(
    Was one of my favourite episodes!

Also hope to keep the thriller moonwalk NPC zombie <3
  • 168sean168
    2990 posts Member
    I am dismayed to hear this @0Brooders0
  • djmikeh
    82 posts Member
    Absolutely disgraceful they’ve done this. ZERO PROOF.
  • 0Brooders0
    2079 posts Member
    Completely agree @djmikeh :#
    I watched it but wish I hadn't. :/
  • djmikeh wrote: »

Though I much prefer to see Leon stay in the game: You need proof to send someone to prison. You don't need proof to remove a character from the smartphone game your company developed.
  • JJR2112
    343 posts Member
    The Leon in our towns is still an unvoiced fictional character with no overt ties to the man in the news. Just a fat guy who plays the keytar. Seems to me removing him would be more hassle than it’s worth for their complaints department.
  • djmikeh
    82 posts Member
    0Brooders0 wrote: »
    Completely agree @djmikeh :#
    I watched it but wish I hadn't. :/

Yeah I’m so mad at it all, whatever happened to ‘innocent until PROVEN guilty’? The words of 2 men going back on testimonies made until oath, and all of a sudden MJ is public enemy #1, now they’re shelving a CLASSIC Simpsons episode, which I personally love, why?....

• djmikeh
    82 posts Member
    You need proof to send someone to prison. You don't need proof to remove a character from the smartphone game your company developed.

True, but since we’re talking in the realms of “the game”, Leon ISN’T MJ, he’s a different unvoiced character?
  • simpsonare
    2126 posts Member
    It was a great episode... MJ singing homer to sleep and the birthday song. It's a sad riddance to make a great episode disappear. But sexual assault should not be accepted in any way. I remember being younger and seeing the accuser as a kid speaking out. Mean I didn't follow it fully to make my own opinion. But sexual assault should be condemned and not in the least tolerable. It is a horrible act to take advantage of someone not wanting to be violated.
  • So what if an allegation came out about the person who voices a main character such as one of the Simpsons?
  • Are you ok?
  • I'm thankful for the fact that I still have my DVD's for season 3, they can't take those away from me...but if they remove the episode from syndication/forthcoming home media/etc.? Devastating.

I have always hoped for a complete bluray (or 4k) set in the future and it sounds like it'll be missing a classic episode.

I'm afraid I just don't understand the sudden urge to censor and wipe out MJ's existence. The allegations have been public knowledge for decades, he spent much of his final years dodging the media circus and fighting to prove his innocence. It's not a secret, it never was...suddenly everyone is shocked and outraged?

I suppose it's "karma" given the sudden change in opinion following his death. I recall he was ridiculed and despised by some for years leading up to his death... only for those same people to call him a hero and beloved icon after his death. It struck me as massively hypocritical to condemn him while he lived and sing his praises after he died. My opinion was that he was likely guilty, and my judgement didn't change after his death. That being said; erasing him from history is just a witch hunt at this stage and censorship.
  • Deadshot_DCU
    6097 posts Moderator
    Doubt it we will. The Leon in our game has no ties to MJ. He is not voiced & his storyline had nothing to do with MJ.
  • It’s sad that the episode is being removed but I understand why Groening and Brooks decided to do what they did and remove it from the air.
  • 0Brooders0
    2079 posts Member
    Are you ok?

Annie, are you ok?
    So, Annie are you ok
    Are you ok, Annie
    Annie, are you ok?…

B)
  • 168sean168
    2990 posts Member
    So this episode is in season 3? I still got the sealed paper DVD box set.
  • jukan00
    2305 posts Member
    y'all shoulda bought the dvd sets if you was a real fan like I did. :D <3 :D
  • jukan00
    2305 posts Member
    ^^^^^^ shoot, I still be singing, "Lisa it's your birthday" like once every couple of weeks out of nowhere.
  • djmikeh wrote: »

It's not about proof but about perception. Which is a bit odd they do this now seeing as how pretty much everybody had made their mind up about Jackson a long time ago.