EA Forums - Banner

Star Trek: Discovery

johncolombo
11005 posts Senior Moderator
edited July 22
I got an offer for a free month on CBS all access so I started watching STD :D
I'm only 2 eps in but I like it a lot. I was going to have to get all access anyway as I'm excited about the upcoming Picard series.
Freaking seven of nine is in the promo as is Data
Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ

Replies

• Yes it looks like a real winner. Trying to figure where I will be able to get it.
    Unsolicited friends requests are all denied.Please PM me.
  • johncolombo
    Willy9292 wrote: »
    Yes it looks like a real winner. Trying to figure where I will be able to get it.

see if you can find the 30 day trial.
  • The Star Trek universe is too big. I think I will not watch this. I like Space 1999 long ago though
  • johncolombo
    168sean168 wrote: »
    The Star Trek universe is too big. I think I will not watch this. I like Space 1999 long ago though

I used to love Space 1999 too. They we're supposed to reboot it a few years ago but it never happened. Hopefully someone will redo it eventually.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_2099
  • 168sean168 wrote: »
    The Star Trek universe is too big. I think I will not watch this. I like Space 1999 long ago though

I used to love Space 1999 too. They we're supposed to reboot it a few years ago but it never happened. Hopefully someone will redo it eventually.

It was such an awesome drama. In fact at times quite scary. And in every episode someone would be killed. I always wonder how they sustained the population. And the soundtrack was top notch.
  • KLmaker
    320 posts Member
    edited August 18

I hope not, sure the sets, special effects and so on would look good as the series does look dated.
    But I think if they modernised it, they would probably ruin it, like they did with Battlestar Galactica, I would love to see a rerun of that.

As @168sean168 says, the music is awesome I still jig with it in my chair.
    I still have my Eagle, I used to drop the pod from the same height as in the intro, but unlike the intro, mine always bounced and flipped over unless I did it much lower down.
    I had some radiation canisters for it as well which somehow got lost, though I cannot see how.
    I hoped I could get some more but apparently they banned the canisters over here after someone saw some somewhere and thought they were real and caused a major alert!!!!

They have been showing a rerun of Space 1999 over here on Forces TV.
  • johncolombo
    KLmaker wrote: »

I hope not, sure the sets, special effects and so on would look good as the series does look dated.
    But I think if they modernised it, they would probably ruin it, like they did with Battlestar Galactica, I would love to see a rerun of that.

I still have my Eagle, I used to drop the pod from the same height as in the intro, but unlike the intro, mine always bounced and flipped over unless I did it much lower down.
    I had some radiation canisters for it as well which somehow got lost, though I cannot see how.
    I hoped I could get some more but apparently they banned the canisters over here after someone saw some somewhere and thought they were real and caused a major alert!!!!

I really liked the rebooted Battlestar Galactic better than the original. It was pretty edgy. What didn't you like about it? I like the new Lost In Space as well. I think season 2 is going to be way crazier than season one as they are now officially lost in space. Season one was the setup.
  • johncolombo

It was such an awesome drama. In fact at times quite scary. And in every episode someone would be killed. I always wonder how they sustained the population. And the soundtrack was top notch.

One episode I really liked is when they got an atmosphere on the moon. The moon base installed windows that opened and I think everyone was outside tanning and playing volleyball all in swim suits.
  • KLmaker
    320 posts Member
    edited August 20

I really liked the rebooted Battlestar Galactic better than the original. It was pretty edgy. What didn't you like about it? I like the new Lost In Space as well. I think season 2 is going to be way crazier than season one as they are now officially lost in space. Season one was the setup.

Sure it was good, but it wasn't Battlestar, I wouldn't have had a problem with it if they called it something else, it's like War Of The World's, sure the original film was good in it's day and Steven Spielberg's one is o.k., just.

My opinion, Watch them as a standalone item not a redone one.

But I have been reading the book War Of The World's and I have lost count how many times I have listened to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version, which isn't exactly like the book, but it is the closest compared to those films.
    To call those films War Of The World's, especially Spielberg's was sacrilege, sure, film them and release them but call them something else.

I think I still have the book Battlestar Galactica somewhere, I will have to dig it out and read it once I have finished reading WOTW, I bought BG in paperback and I felt it's a big book at the time for what it is and I was too young to appreciate it then, I hope I still have it.

F.Y.I. When I say musical version, I don't mean the rebooted CD with DJ's mixed tracks, I mean what you would have got with the double LP with gatefold sleeve and the picture book, it was done 40 years ago and is still cool now, the music is awesome and it has enjoyed continual success over the years in varying amounts.

If there is one man who can stand tall... give hope for us all... somewhere... somewhere in the spirit of man.

Still sends shivers down my spine.
    Post edited by KLmaker on
  • @johncolombo The scariest episode of Space 1999 for me was the monster with tentacles that could suck people underneath and spited it out as skeletons. Another equally scary episode is the one where there is a race of aliens that looks like walking vegetables but only the commander could see it.

I like the New Battlestar Galactica too but it was kinda long. It was an exciting moment whenever the the original cyclons appeared or when a short verse of the original soundtrack was played. I got the models of the Battlestar Galactica and the cyclon raiders though not completed .. abandoned project.

@KLmaker I also got The Eagle in a model form
  • johncolombo
    @johncolombo The scariest episode of Space 1999 for me was the monster with tentacles that could suck people underneath and spited it out as skeletons. Another equally scary episode is the one where there is a race of aliens that looks like walking vegetables but only the commander could see it.

I like the New Battlestar Galactica too but it was kinda long. It was an exciting moment whenever the the original cyclons appeared or when a short verse of the original soundtrack was played. I got the models of the Battlestar Galactica and the cyclon raiders though not completed .. abandoned project.

I don't remember those episodes. But it made me think of this.
    464itopzfc8a.jpg
    :D
  • cxgs1XE.jpg
    Scary tentacles monster

9y6aWwo.jpg
    Vegetables aliens
  • KLmaker
    320 posts Member
    edited August 20
    @johncolombo The scariest episode of Space 1999 for me was the monster with tentacles that could suck people underneath and spited it out as skeletons. Another equally scary episode is the one where there is a race of aliens that looks like walking vegetables but only the commander could see them.

Oooh... I like the sound of the model, don't think I've ever seen one here, for a moment I saw myself as Homer "Grr, stupid Eagle toy I want Eagle model now", I think I might've been playing TSTO toooo long?

I still remember the tentacles monster, even though it's over 35 years ago, blimey!
  • johncolombo
    @johncolombo The scariest episode of Space 1999 for me was the monster with tentacles that could suck people underneath and spited it out as skeletons. Another equally scary episode is the one where there is a race of aliens that looks like walking vegetables but only the commander could see them.

Oooh... I like the sound of the model, don't think I've ever seen one here, for a moment I saw myself as Homer "Grr, stupid Eagle toy I want Eagle model now", I think I might've been playing TSTO toooo long?

I still remember the tentacles monster, even though it's over 35 years ago, blimey!

I guess I need to rewatch space 1999. I still don’t remember this scene/episode.
  • KLmaker wrote: »

I guess I need to rewatch space 1999. I still don’t remember this scene/episode.

In fan this episode has often been said to be the most scary episode of all by most fans.
  • KLmaker
    320 posts Member
    edited August 25

I still remember it really well even though I've only seen it once.

EDIT.
    I replied to the post as soon as I had read the thread, but I have just been on Wiki and found out the episode is Season 1 Episode 23 Dragon's Domain.
    It is quite a bit different to how I remembered it, but the spoiler is close enough.

SPOILER ALERT.
    There's a spoiler coming up and I don't know how you do that thing so if you don't want to read this, skip this post.
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    If I rightly remember.

An Eagle comes across a ships graveyard, the crew go to take a look, without warning a bright light appears inside the ship and straight away the tentacles come out and start grabbing the crew one by one and pulls them inside and devours them and spits out what looks like smoking skinny black bones, on what looks like a tray with wheels, I remember thinking that looked silly at the time.

Think "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes".

One of the crew manages to get away by leaving part of the Eagle behind, but back at Moonbase Alpha he is unable to come to terms with it, he takes an Eagle and goes after the monster.
    He either docks with the first Eagle or he encounters it in his. He ties a rope to a pole inside one of the pods to stop himself being pulled in while he tries to kill it, cannot remember how, hatchet maybe? But one of the tentacles wears away the rope and it breaks it sending him the same way as the others.

Commander Koenig and I think Dr. Russell are not far behind in another Eagle, may have had other crew with them as well?
    Again, either they dock with the first Eagle or they are attacked in a different ship, it looks rather dire as Commander Koenig is grabbed by the monster, but instead of being pulled in under it, he is able to remain standing and gets right next to it and stabs the eye/light with a hatchet? The light goes out, the tentacles fall and they leave, cue titles with nice end music.

Admittedly, vague, abridged, and so on but that's basically it, and it was over 30 years ago so it's not going to be perfect anyway.

I think part of the scary side is that the monster came inside the ship and there was no way to stop it and then just kills and eats everyone with no reason, it just does.
    Post edited by KLmaker on