Isnt Springfield number 1 ;)

Edit: To much Sun and drink wasnt concentrating on what i was typing lol

Replies

• sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Isnt Springfield was number 1 ;)

I had to quote that statement for posterity.
  • dominic115
    938 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    3qw881.jpg
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    That's very good mangling of the English language Neo ;P
    Certainly, wonder where England are on the report. And to the US, congratulations! You're no longer the fattest country in the world, just one of te fattest. This calls for a party, who wants cake?
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    And to the US, congratulations! You're no longer the fattest country in the world, just one of te fattest. This calls for a party, who wants cake?

All of us!!!
  • jenniferbusc
    2392 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Certainly, wonder where England are on the report. And to the US, congratulations! You're no longer the fattest country in the world, just one of te fattest. This calls for a party, who wants cake?
    I do... Yay cake.
  • menace1211
    1677 posts
    edited July 2013
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

Did someone say cake? Goes great with fried hot dogs. I live in the US, so I need to fatten up so we can return to glory!
  • Mjr1124
    654 posts
    edited July 2013
    This is our secret new immigration policy, make them too fat and slow to cross the border.
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    menace1211 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

Did someone say cake? Goes great with fried hot dogs. I live in the US, so I need to fatten up so we can return to glory!

Do your part as a proud American.

Granite Bay, huh? I lived in Antelope a long time...
  • pantuflin007
    2747 posts
    edited July 2013
    Three servings for me please. :mrgreen:
  • dominic115
    938 posts Member
    edited July 2013

Oh no that's greedy. Although you can have 50 sausage rolls if you want.
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    dominic115 wrote:

Oh no that's greedy. Although you can have 50 sausage rolls if you want.

Was it KFC that had that chicken sandwich, where the bread was actually two more pieces of chicken?
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't know about these reports. Statistics are so easy to manipulate to get whatever results you want out of them. However, living in this country and looking around at the children in my child's school or the kids in the schools that I drive past? I just don't see this high obesity rate.

Yes, there are some VERY fat people at Wal-Mart but I don't see any at the high end grocery stores.

Here is a varying report that I found at the CIA World Facts book that was dated November 2012. It shows a completely different picture with the US being further down the list at number 6.

What I do find interesting is that 4 of 10 countries are in the Middle East. I also know that there is an uptrend in the US of eating healthier and exercising more. I would love to see the regional break down and see what percentage the US South plays in these numbers.
    This week in the United States, people will celebrate the Thanksgiving Day holiday with family traditions that usually include a very large meal. In anticipation of waist-band stretching feasts, we decided to see how the United States fares against other populations in terms of obesity. The U.S. comes in near the top, having the 6th highest obesity rate. The World Factbook data also show that there are clear regional trends, even though obesity rates vary around the world.

Of the 10 countries or territories with the highest obesity rates, 5 are in Oceania. Another 4 are in the Middle East. Rates on this chart reflect the percent of a country’s adult population that has Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than or equal to 30.0, which is considered obese.

Country

Obesity Rate

1. American Samoa (US territory) 74.60

2. Tokelau 63.40

3. Tonga 56.00

4. Kiribati 50.60

5. Saudi Arabia 35.60

6. United States 33.90

7. United Arab Emirates 33.70

8. Egypt 30.30

9. Kuwait 28.80

10. New Zealand 26.50

Of the 10 countries with the lowest obesity rates, 8 are in Asia, and the remaining 2 are in Africa.

Country

Obesity Rate

1. Vietnam 0.50

2. Laos 1.20

3. Madagascar 2.10

4. Indonesia 2.40

5. China 2.90

6. Japan 3.10

7. Korea, South 3.20

8. Eritrea 3.30

9. Philippines 4.30

10. Singapore 6.90
  • erin3213
    188 posts
    edited July 2013
    I live in the midwest, I definitely see where the statistics are at. Every restaurant in this area is 80% fried food.

Notice how fresh foods, produce, organics, etc are higher priced than a can of spaghettios? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm down for Chef Boyardee, but the nutritional content will vary from a meal of fish, salad and wild rice, etc. When the economy is tough, you tighten the belt.

There are waaaay too many pre-prepared foods at our disposal. Go shop at a grocery store where some are really trying to stretch their dollar, their shopping carts look a little different.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    erin3213 wrote:
    I live in the midwest, I definitely see where the statistics are at. Every restaurant in this area is 80% fried food.

Notice how fresh foods, produce, organics, etc are higher priced than a can of spaghettios? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm down for Chef Boyardee, but the nutritional content will vary from a meal of fish, salad and wild rice, etc. When the economy is tough, you tighten the belt.

There are waaaay too many pre-prepared foods at our disposal. Go shop at a grocery store where some are really trying to stretch their dollar, their shopping carts look a little different.

We went to the store today and were having this very discussion! LOL

How much is rice? How much are generic noodles? How much is generic frozen vegetables?

No, a person on a budget cannot afford fresh vegs and fruits. Nor can they afford to eat meat (chicken/seafood either) every single night. We can afford it and don't eat it every single night. Those items (meat, seafood, chicken) tend to be once a week sort of things.

The frozen vegs are not the best option but it's better than reaching for that $10 bag of Tyson Chicken Nuggets which are pure crud BTW (Purdue makes a better lightly breaded alternative that costs the same or even better go for the unbreaded frozen chicken strips and throw them in with some frozen vegs, a bit of soy sauce, and put the whole thing over rice with an hard fried egg and you have a good and cheap meal).

You can also make your own bread (another way to save money).

We determined that it is possible to eat well on a limited budget but that it requires some creative alternatives.

(Our food bill ranges from $600 - 800 a month for a family of 3 but we are not on a budget. When we were first married, 15 years ago we were on a budget and kept it down to $200 a month for a family of 2 by trolling Big Lots and other discount stores for food).
  • joeaikman
    200 posts
    edited July 2013
    For all those who want cake, it is a lie
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    joeaikman wrote:
    Questioning my validity? I have plenty of cake to go around :)
    Oh and 499 posts, one to go :)
    KuVMNkW.jpg
    jw2NTuN.jpg

Edit Lisa, that much a month!? That's insane, my family is 3 is just about £400 a month at most, normally we spend £60 a week and then stop by mid week, can't believe how much Americans spend on food, larger portions perhaps? Or a very expensive country, I'm genuinely surprised because your post points to health, not buying the most expensive crud and going for healthy options.
  • menace1211
    1677 posts
    edited July 2013
    Shaygitz, no way! What's up real-life neighbor!? Do you still live in the area? I thought nobody would have a clue as to where GB is.
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    menace1211 wrote:
    Shaygitz, no way! What's up real-life neighbor!? Do you still live in the area? I thought nobody would have a clue as to where GB is.

Alas, no. For reasons that sound ridiculous to me now, we moved to Phoenix several years ago. I miss CA like you can't believe
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    joeaikman wrote:
    Questioning my validity? I have plenty of cake to go around :)
    Oh and 499 posts, one to go :)
    KuVMNkW.jpg
    jw2NTuN.jpg

Edit Lisa, that much a month!? That's insane, my family is 3 is just about £400 a month at most, normally we spend £60 a week and then stop by mid week, can't believe how much Americans spend on food, larger portions perhaps? Or a very expensive country, I'm genuinely surprised because your post points to health, not buying the most expensive crud and going for healthy options.

It's quite a lot (unless you live in NYC), especially if you're only eating meat once a week. From personal experience, food's generally less expensive here than in the UK. Portions in restaurants are definitely larger, can't speak with authority about those in private homes :wink:
  • tobypine2
    292 posts
    edited July 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    erin3213 wrote:

We went to the store today and were having this very discussion! LOL

How much is rice? How much are generic noodles? How much is generic frozen vegetables?

No, a person on a budget cannot afford fresh vegs and fruits. Nor can they afford to eat meat (chicken/seafood either) every single night. We can afford it and don't eat it every single night. Those items (meat, seafood, chicken) tend to be once a week sort of things.

The frozen vegs are not the best option but it's better than reaching for that $10 bag of Tyson Chicken Nuggets which are pure crud BTW (Purdue makes a better lightly breaded alternative that costs the same or even better go for the unbreaded frozen chicken strips and throw them in with some frozen vegs, a bit of soy sauce, and put the whole thing over rice with an hard fried egg and you have a good and cheap meal).

You can also make your own bread (another way to save money).

We determined that it is possible to eat well on a limited budget but that it requires some creative alternatives.

(Our food bill ranges from $600 - 800 a month for a family of 3 but we are not on a budget. When we were first married, 15 years ago we were on a budget and kept it down to $200 a month for a family of 2 by trolling Big Lots and other discount stores for food).

I remember what I spent on food when I was a single guy. Even when I got married we seemed to pay a lot for groceries. Now we're a family of 4, til next jan. ) and spend around $500-600. And it's all good stuff. I grill steaks once or twice a week, but we get them as whole ribeyes from small town grocer who cuts and wraps for free. Our fish we get at a food service distributor and just cook what we want from the box. Chicken and pork from a local processor. Sooo much cheaper. Veggies fresh from our garden or blanched n frozen or canned. Can't imagine what we've saved just from that. And she does coupon though not to extreme, plans our menu and gets best deals from the Kroger or publix ads before she shops. Usually saves us close to half our bill. Otherwise I'd have to get a second paying job. Lol

It did always make me wonder how its $2 or more for a bunch bananas or apples yet 50 cents for Littele Debbie's. lol.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!