EA Forums - Banner

Last Film you watched / Up Coming Movies

Replies

• 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    eyv0rE8.jpg

As Tears Go By (1988) A HK gangster love drama by renowned director Wong Kar Wai. I didn't know it was by him but as I watched I felt that this was a very different gangster film of its time with good art direction. The actors are all great with Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung and Maggie Cheung. I have never seen Maggie in such a beautiful serious acting role before and indeed she said that this film was a breakthrough role for her.

This is a good watch.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    2baRgyg.jpg

Game of Death 2 aka Tower of Death (1981). Yet another film that continued to milk on the fame of Bruce Lee. They did their best to insert old scenes of Bruce Lee whenever they could. There were no actual Bruce Lee fighting scenes. As a film it was actually quite entertaining and followed the old James Bond's format.

This film was bundled by some distributors as the last Bruce Lee's film
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    xB1rGOn.jpg

Infernal Affairs II (2003). This might be the third time I watched this HK film. And still I need to pay attention to follow the difficult plot. One of the actor, Edison Chen was infamous subsequently due to his leaked photos with many celebrities. He has disappeared from the entertainment scene after this incident.

Overall this is still a nice stylish film to watch with nice songs and soundtrack. The film is also a prequel to the events in the first film
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    ILr1Jma.jpg

Sadako(2019). This japanese horror film was directed by the guy that kicked off The Ring franchise. But the film didn't return to form. Although art direction was good, the film was not scary. In fact it was rather boring. And in one supposedly climactic scene, you felt as if that we could knock the head of Sadako to get away. After watching, I need to go lie down as the film sent me to the slumber.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    168sean168 wrote: »
    Pq5H9kw.jpg

Luck Key (2016). A Korean comedy thriller about a young, unsuccessful extra actor who swapped his identity with a wealthy mature hit man who was suffering from amnesia. The film is delightful and funny. I actually wish that it can be developed into a drama series that could stretch over many episodes. This film is a remake of a Japanese film from 2012. This is a good watch.

S5YxJWa.jpg

I rewatched this film again. It was very funny. This is one of the beautiful actress in the film.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    NDP4KVP.jpg

The Purge Season 2 (2019). This season has 10 episodes and generally it presented three sub plots in it. This season is a big improvement from season 1 and it is how a Purge show should look like. Season 1 is a 2 for me while season 2 is 8 out of 10. The season can be watched independent of season 1
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    edited May 10
    tTxwwPj.jpg

Infernal Affairs (2002). This is a good watch with a plot that is easier to understand. It was also very suspenseful. This maybe the third or fourth time I watched this. I do feel that the ending was a bit rushed and not elucidated properly. Great acting from Andy Lau and Tony Leung
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    edited May 10
    12R0C28.jpg

Infernal Affairs III (2003). This third film might be the most complex one out of the three. I generally got the main plot except for a couple of small plot points which I felt was not explained well. The plot covered the past and the present day running in parallel. It has very good character development, especially for the role of Andy Lau, where he won a best actor award.

The Chinese title of this series is something like The Incessant Path, the lowest level in hell where someone needs to suffer for almost eternity to pay back the karma.

I remember when I watched the Departed, I felt that it didn't depict the characters as well as this HK series, where characters were in various predicaments and struggling with their identities.

Overall this trilogy is like a must watch in HK cinema
  • KLmaker
    942 posts Member
    168sean168 wrote: »
    eoNb4kJ.jpg

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (2019). This is the first film in the series that I didn't watch in the cinema (and Solo too). I feel that they try to fix the messy plot from the last one and strive to make all viewers happy. Overall I actually like it and will probably rewatch it again one day. Got some endgame vibes in it.

Saw this a few days ago and not too sure what to make of it.

I thought I saw enough of The Last Jedi to understand what was happening, and I do not understand what this was trying to fix from the last one.

But, I thought this one was messy in itself, though it is a good SW film with the visuals, music, sound effects and so on, it does carry itself in that respect.
    There are the usual three paragraphs at the start and goes straight to Kylo Ren doing something then he has some new soldiers and it seems to leap through the rest of the film in equal measure.
    I am not sure if they were rushing through the story or just skipping parts, but I remember at the end of the last one they were near defeated, but now they have ships again, resistance fighters and a new base.
    How???
    Although it was obvious what they were doing on their excursion to defeat The Order and why, but it did feel a tad rushed and a bit disjointed at times.

I felt should it have been longer or two films even???
    I will have to watch Last Jedi and Rise Of Skywalker again just in case I did miss something.
    It is a good film, it's just the story...
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    @KLmaker

Discussion as follows
    Some of the things I remember that may make people happy

1. Reduce Rose Tico screentime
    2. Let Finn has some relationship moments with Rey
    3. Let Oscar Isaac be the leader now and not a purple hair annoying woman
    4. Let C3PO has more lines
    5. Gives Chewbacca more screentime
    6. Make all the original cast (Han Solo, Luke, Leia, the black guy from Sky city) back in the film
    7. Allow Rey and Kylo to become a couple
    8. Make Kylo a good man in the end
    9. Nods to the first film like visiting Tatooine, passing Chewbacca a medal ..
    10. Give Finn his heroic moment that Rose Tico denied.

Yes you brought out good points too. I chose to close one eye to the plot matters.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    8RUdqwW.jpg

The Man Standing Next (2020). A Korean political thriller inspired by real events. It is led by the white ninja from GI Joe. This is a good watch but plot can be hard to follow, further hampered due to language issues. This will be another significant must watch Korean film.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    ElWOx0f.jpg

Dangerous Lies (2020). This is a mystery suspense thriller. I like it.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    0VA7CM4.jpg

War of the Underworld (1996). Another run of the mill gangster film from HK. This one tried to position itself like a sword fighting film with warring sects. The story was set in the universe of the Young and the Dangerous, though the characters and story were not related to that series though there were some Easter eggs. The lead however is quite a famous star Tony Leung. He later appeared in Infernal Affairs and will also be a future villain in Marvel
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    nVIhW3l.jpg

Initial D (2005). A HK film based on a Japanese Manga. I am not familiar with the manga. I watched this as the film was made by the directors of Infernal Affairs. Then I realised I watched the film before. The film was good for cars drifting actions going down a hill. And Jay Zhou of Green Hornet in his first film role was simply just playing himself with a moping look. Refreshing film without the usual triad stories. Above average.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    VkxuXnB.jpg

100 Feet (2008). Overall, a very simple average film but with a good ending that brought to mind Hollow Man. Fans of Famke Janssen should watch this as she was in every scene of this film.
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    GfyfQ9v.jpg

1922 (2017) A film based on a story by Stephen King. A disturbingly good drama
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    dAEJvkX.jpg

Cross (2011) A Chinese HK film. A man surrendered himself to a police station to a series of murder cases, and this kicked off the mystery thriller. It was quite boring and the reveal was not very clear in some parts. Overall a below average watch
  • johncolombo
    11198 posts Senior Moderator
    watched this last night. Not great but enjoyable enough.
    9c7c36gjbig6.jpg
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • The lady film i saw was "L'oro di Napoli" (1954) but I know that unfortunately you cannot understand Italian cinema.

the last 'mainstream' film i have saw is "the grand budapest hotel"
  • 168sean168
    3651 posts Member
    9cm05fz.jpg

Hell Girl (2019) A Japanese live action based on a manga. The premise is that there is a website where people could input the name of a person he has grudges with and that person would be dragged to hell for eternity. The caveat is that the guy who used the service would also be sent to hell when he dies.

This film is a tale of morality and not as trashy as I thought. Quite a good engaging drama.