EA Forums - Banner

Last Film you watched / Up Coming Movies

Replies

• c6Nv85a.jpg

Interstellar (2014). Rewatched this at my community hub. Excellent watch. Needs to pay full attention when watching to appreciate their philosophical dialogues.
  • Lxykylc.jpg
    uWw1ZHS.jpg

A Quiet Place (2018). I rewatched this at the community hub. I think I like it the second round due to the bigger screen, the presence of other audience and a better sound system.
  • 5ES9fvG.jpg

Walking Tall (2004). A simple story of goodness over evil. Supposedly inspired by true story. I have not watched the original before. Good watch though I find the ending comes rather abruptly
  • at72asyg2lny.jpg

Really disappointed in this one. A fun idea for a film ruined by bad acting and incompetent directing. The alien design is cool though and some of the fights were well done but overall not a good watch.
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • 168sean168
    3853 posts Member
    edited March 24
    lbvpMXj.jpg
    Under the Hawthorn Tree (2010) A Chinese film by renowned director Zhang Yimou based off an Internet novel by a Chinese lady living in United State. Her identity was supposedly unknown and her story was inspired by real characters.

It is a very innocent love story set in the midst of China Cultural Revolution

a18NBr2.jpg
    Under the Hawthorn tree has a rather greyish tone throughout the film.

MgKP36k.jpg
    I noticed the first stage of courtship. In this case, an offering of the Big Rabbit Milk candy to the girl. This is a super popular candy coming out of China and I also ate it in my childhood. It's reputation had a dent during the tainted milk scandal though.

NP1uFYQ.jpg
    In a rural farmer's home, the portrait of Chairman Mao overlooked the dining table.

3lBgnA5.jpg
    A poster that said we are all the little red soldiers of Chairman Mao. I like the attention to details of the propaganda posters in that time.

4QCuqtl.jpg
    A second stage of courtship, an offering of a new fountain pen in exchange for a leaking faulty one.

cX7jHrY.jpg
    We are treated to a patriotic dance number. I was giggling a lot at this scene.

HXb8J50.jpg
    Taking one step further, offering to feed the girl suddenly.

8xP7uUr.jpg
    Too shy to hold hands? Hold a tree branch.

tRXUhrj.jpg
    A big statue of Mao adorned the school compound.

U7oLnHR.jpg
    A very innocent dating moment in a Chinese gazebo.

94nFguU.jpg
    The successful sealing of the courtship when the girl returned a gift of a hand made gold fish keychain made from threads.

taspIB1.jpg
    Students from the city being sent to the country side to be farmers for re-education.

vQ60y58.jpg
    The boy managed to get the girl into a swimming costume but she was too shy and wore a shirt over it. I actually wanted to verify if her armpits were shaved for accuracy of the depiction of that era but didn't get the chance.

KBn4Pn3.jpg
    The ever popular Chinese fried fritters made an appearance.

1aNhFgH.jpg
    Very bright and generous smiles in a phototaking session. Both actors appeared in a film for the first time. The boy is actually a Canadian Chinese.

C7So1HM.jpg
    A girl was given two eggs after a medical procedure. Even during my mum's time, she said that they have eggs only during the birthdays and most meals were just porridge with dark soy sauce with some fermented olives.

9oCIV5X.jpg
    The uniforms of the party members.

Q0OBOld.jpg
    The colours finally turned bright in the end.

Overall this is a very good film and was shown in various film festivals. I am surprised China didn't ban the film for its subtle political commentaries.
    Post edited by 168sean168 on
  • ycnepZI.jpg

The Interpreter (2005). A political thriller but it was not very thrilling. It was not boring either but the plot was difficult to understand. One thing that stood out in this film was that they used the actual UN for shooting due to connections the director had. The director was Sidney ****. Overall I feel like it was average for entertainment.
  • YUKWyuU.jpg

Shockwave 2(2020) This HK Chinese film can be watched independently as it is not related to the first film. Action is almost relentless and the plot is also quite interesting and unique. The scale of the film was much bigger compared to the first film, almost like a Mission Impossible film. Andy Lau really put in a lot of effort in the actions. His acting was also very good in it. Available in Cantonese or mandarin version. A good watch.
  • 168sean168
    3853 posts Member
    edited March 29
    lval4Pm.jpg

Signal 100 (2020). A Japanese horror thriller in the vibes of Battle Royale. Quite a good watch if you like this kind of films. The film was based off a Manga
  • 168sean168
    3853 posts Member
    edited April 1
    ez5q1Oo.jpg

Wandavision (2021). Short 9 episodes of mostly 30 mins each. A good watch though need to temper the expectations not to expect the typical marvel vibes and to treat it as an old comedy sitcom for a big part of the series.

Many bus stops in my country are promoting the show as shown
  • cf00k263d0c2.jpeg

Really enjoyable film with nearly non stop action. Epic, well filmed fight scenes between the two iconic titans. A must watch. Two horns up! :)
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • 168sean168
    3853 posts Member
    nDDgzRa.jpg
    Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (2009). I must have watched this film five times. Not because I like it but it is always shown. I also watched it for its visuals and sound. This time I watched it because it was screened again at my community hub.

Quite a boring, soulless and humourless watch. Boring was due to action fatigue. The only time the audience laughed was a slapstick moment when two men were having spasms on the floor after being tased. The final theme song New Divide was nice but the screeners abruptly ended the screenings when credits started as usual.

Seeing Megan Fox was great. I wished that she had stayed on the franchise.

rxQh5VU.jpg
    This sucking transformer was quite memorable and it made an appearance in Universal Studios Transformers the Ride.

IxbQ7Vo.jpg
    Optimus Prime looking good

QIw8Wf0.jpg
    I am quite glad that Universal Studio opened in Singapore. I bought a six months pass and went there 10 times. But it was during a time when the roller coaster, Battlestar Galactica was under maintenance. I am not sure if I could ride it. As I was already terrified with The Mummy Ride. Ticket to the studio is expensive, not sure when I would go there again.
  • 5venyu4jyaoy.jpg

Season one....Pretty good show set in the Stephen King universe with lots of characters and references from his books. Excellent buildup to the final episode which unfortunately didn't live up to the buildup. But nonetheless it was still an enjoyable ride and I look forward to watching the second season at some point.
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • jayud9bpnph2.jpg

Justice League: The Snyder Cut.....much better than the theatrical version, which was finished and cut by another director. The pacing and tone was much more in sync with the earlier DC films. It is long, over 4 hours, but well worth it and understandable considering it was originally going to be two films. A good watch. Two horns up!
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • 5jc42c2tl4lo.jpg

The final Marvel/Xmen film produced by Fox and they did not go out with a bang. Not a very entertaining or enjoyable film. The story, characters and ending were not well conceived or executed. I had high hopes when I heard it was going to be a horror/suspense themed mutant film but was quite disappointed with the result.
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • JBoom998
    71 posts Member
    edited April 19
    xs9h6c54xwm6.jpeg

The Suicide Squad (2021) This is the Standalone Sequel to Suicide Squad (2016) Directed by James Gunn with Returning cast Margot Robbie, Viola Davis, Joel Kinnaman and Jai Courtney along with Idris Elba, John Cena, Peter Capaldi and Sylvester Stallone voicing King Shark along with a couple of more in the cast the premise is that the Imprisoned convicts of Belle Reve penitentiary are sent as members of Task Force X to the South American island of Corto Maltese to destroy Jotunheim, a german prison and laboratory which held political prisoners and conducted experiments plus an appearance from Starro who seems to be the main antagonist of the film.
    Post edited by JBoom998 on
  • nwu4d1upy1sh.jpeg

Fast & Furious 9 (2021) Starring Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, John Cena, Jordana Brewster,Nathalie Emmanuel, Sung Kang, Helen Mirren and Charlize Theron, After the events of Fast & Furious 8 (2017), Dominic Toretto and his family must face Dominic's younger brother Jakob, a deadly assassin, who is working with their old enemy Cipher, and who holds a personal vendetta against Dominic, I’m not a fan of the recent films more the first 3 films in my opinion there’s also a controversial move for a cameo return for the character Brian O’Conner Played by Paul Walker who sadly died in 2013 and was the star of Fast & Furious the series should have ended after Fast & Furious 7 then we have Fast & Furious 10 and 11 coming up to apparently end the franchise but of course we all know there’s going to be spin-offs.
  • 66xkyp3hzqgs.jpeg

Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021) Starring LeBron James and Don Cheadle, When basketball champion and global icon LeBron James and his young son Dom who dreams of being a video game developer are trapped in a virtual space by a rogue A.I. named Al-G Rhythm (Don Cheadle), LeBron must get them home safe by leading Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Lola Bunny and the whole gang of notoriously undisciplined Looney Tunes to victory over Al-G's digitized champions on the court, the Goon Squad: a powered-up roster of professional basketball stars as you’ve never seen them before. It’s Tunes versus Goons in the highest-stakes challenge of his life, that will redefine LeBron’s bond with his son and shine a light on the power of being yourself, from the trailer it’s like Ready Player one with Warner bros universe especially from Hanna-Barbera cartoons as well as unexpected characters, the original Classic Space Jam (1996) Starring Michael Jordan is hard to beat while the 2003 Looney Tunes: Back in Action was terrible and over the top can’t wait to see what Space Jam: A New Legacy has to give.
  • 4azqv7gbar7t.jpg

Finally got around to watching It Chapter Two. While I didn't think it was as good as Chapter 1, it was still a entertaining and satisfying conclusion imo. The runtime was a little excessive and some scenes felt repetitive. I didn't care for a couple of the casting choices(Ben and Bill, but I normally love James McAvoy) but the rest of the cast nailed it, especially Bill Hader. Overall a good watch.
    Fear my pointy horn!
  • 168sean168
    3853 posts Member
    edited April 21
    XUuWGDF.jpg
    Fagara (2019). No this is not a horror film. Turns out Fagara is a kind of spice used in Chinese hotpot. This is a HK China family drama with a dash of comedy. A bit of the plot was not clear to me. But overall it could make your eyes wet with numerous touching scenes. It has a bit of subtle political undertones. With characters from China, HK and Taiwan.

epn5ckP.jpg
    Kenny Bee

Ih0aSjb.jpg
    Richie Jen

6yGI0IL.jpg
    Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng

What I like about the film is tha they have a few veteran HK actors supporting the film like Kenny Bee, Andy Lau. If there are no veteran actors in HK films, no one would want to watch it these days.

This film was beautifully shot and rather artistic, overall an above average watch
  • V76gGjA.jpg
    Warrior (2011). Good acting especially from Nick. Background story is quite low key but personal. Overall an above average watch. Though i think story felt a bit incomplete