EA Forums - Banner

Snippets of Singapore's Life

Prev13456
168sean168
3720 posts Member
edited February 25
Sharing some sights of Singapore as the game feels very monotonous to me.

To start off, this is a Peking opera I watch over the weekend. The stunt work of the Monkey King was impressive.

p20aF32.jpg

Strangely, I don't know why the F character becomes four hearts symbols

tMfLvKp.jpg

This picture is another scene where Monkey King battles a Palm leaf fan demon when he was trying to borrow her fan to put out a volcano.

YYVTj9E.jpg

A stunt work by Monkey King

NWVtted.jpg

The cast members and I after the show

Replies

• 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited February 25
    cxnHkew.jpg

In my town, daily live performance is carried out by local artists. These Performers generally are low profile and perform in small events. I think this lady is quite lovely

gtm2vdZ.jpg

I was at a free outdoor concert at esplanade, a place where cultural shows are held. This man is nice and smiled at my camera

ixyuRQK.jpg

This lovely lady carried a Sheng, a Chinese wind instrument. She was part of an orchestra ensemble performing at esplanade

Cr6tq4c.jpg

An outdoor Performance at the esplanade
  • johncolombo
    11281 posts Senior Moderator
    Nice Sean, thanks for sharing.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited February 26
    LKNTHjA.jpg

I am fortunate to live in a town with a vibrant and biggest community hub that screen free movies daily. I think my town is the only one that does that. In the old days, community centers were equipped with small TVs and screened off the air programmes. That was during a time when not every family got a television. It was around the 70s.

vFi4vF6.jpg

A new business showered with floral congratulations. I wonder is it the same everywhere else in other countries?

tsxTQlX.jpg

Terminal 3 Changi Airport now with not a single human. Photo shared by someone sending his son back to Oz for further studies.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited February 29
    UqXTIdv.jpg
    EfTuikG.jpg
    G5KWWBu.jpg

I attended a harmonica concert today. Got to see harmonica of all sizes and sound. Interestingly I learn that Apollo mission brought along a harmonica. (I checked that it was called Gemini VIA in 1965 Dec and the guy became the first spaceman to play a music in space - Jingle Bells )

The harmonica was also developed from Sheng. And it is the only wind instrument to draw in and blow out air to produce notes, according to the host.

I also won a mini harmonica today for taking part in a question and answer. I never knew that such a small harmonica existed. I didn't know I would be asked to go on stage and later I was made to perform twinkle twinkle little star after learning in the back stage for a few minutes.
    Post edited by 168sean168 on
  • Where in Singapore do you live? I lived really briefly near Harbourfront (my wife was there for a year, but me only two weeks before we moved back to Malaysia).

The flowers for new businesses is common here in Malaysia - I would guess it is a Chinese thing. Haven't seen it anywhere in Europe.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    Where in Singapore do you live? I lived really briefly near Harbourfront (my wife was there for a year, but me only two weeks before we moved back to Malaysia).

The flowers for new businesses is common here in Malaysia - I would guess it is a Chinese thing. Haven't seen it anywhere in Europe.

Hi I live in the East, Tampines. Very short drive to the airport. Harbourfront is a nice place. Very near to Sentosa and there is a condominium there that looks very futuristic and weird at the same time.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 2
    0QJQXbP.jpg

When there are important soccer/football matches, my community will screen them Live instead of showing Movies. A scene from last night.

rLSqJDW.jpg

I walked by a temple celebration recently where devotees were praying to a Ji Gong Buddha. There were two mediums there. This was the moment when one of the medium allowed himself to be tranced into Monkey King. He jumped out of the seat and was held down by two assistants. I was just there as a observer.

8X2wQRY.jpg

The tranced Monkey King and Ji Gong Buddha, among other deities represented by flags guiding the devotees to cross a peace and bliss bridge.

vv9YkCU.jpg

I spotted a local comedian/actress at the temple celebration and got scolded by her for taking shots of her. She was popular in the past for being a slapstick, unattractive comedian. I guess she didn't want people to see her getting involved with the prayers or maybe simply did not want to be seen. Ironically she walked towards me and I ended up getting a better shot. I was actually at a distance from her.

Currently, she is on our TV ad often teaching the common people the do and don'ts during the Covid 19 crisis. I guess for her to be spotted there was not a good thing as she told the common people to avoid mass gathering if possible.
  • 168sean168 wrote: »
    Where in Singapore do you live? I lived really briefly near Harbourfront (my wife was there for a year, but me only two weeks before we moved back to Malaysia).

Hi I live in the East, Tampines. Very short drive to the airport. Harbourfront is a nice place. Very near to Sentosa and there is a condominium there that looks very futuristic and weird at the same time.

Our friend used to live in Seletar, and we would walk around bedok reservoir - I think that's quite close to Tampines.

That condo was opposite ours! It looks like a giant claw bursting through the ground. Reflections at Keppel Bay.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    Yes it takes me about 40 mins to walk to the Bedok Reservoir. To walk/jog one full round of the outer rim of the Reservoir, it takes me around one hour. Seletar is a rather rustic area that has not been redeveloped. There is a small airport there, possibly for small jets. Long ago it was one of the air bases. There is a small road in that area Jalan Kayu, famous for some food and pubs. Further down it would bring you to some plant nursery and large fisheries and pets mart. Though I am not sure if they are still there.

When you visit keppel marina, you feel as if you are in a different world due to the nice yachts parked there.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 5
    QdiHhas.jpg
    A performer at Esplanade. Esplanade runs non profit free performances daily.

1nbl4pX.jpgirk0w1e.jpg

A typical hawker centre stall. This one sells Muslim food and the food shown here is called Lontong. Consisting of rice cakes and some vegetables in light curry and coconut shredding.

DCn33nk.jpg

There is an estate here known as springfield, though occupied by rich people
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    No, the flowers for new businesses isn't done here in UK as a rule, don't know about individual communities though.

As for the woman who scolded you, was that because she was there or there without a mask??
    If she was masked it would show responsibility as she obviously has some status and people would notice that, I imagine anyway.

More and more people are wearing masks here, though with strange looks from other people it suggests a lot of people are not taking it seriously.
    So far there are no reported cases in my County; though I don't think enough is being done as we now have person to person cases; and idiots going out panic buying, dozens of rolls of paper for example, why does someone think they will need that much paper, leaving others short is irresponsible.

While they were huffing and puffing stripping shelves, didn't they think that someone doing the same thing next to them may already have it???
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    KLmaker wrote: »
    No, the flowers for new businesses isn't done here in UK as a rule, don't know about individual communities though.

As for the woman who scolded you, was that because she was there or there without a mask??
    If she was masked it would show responsibility as she obviously has some status and people would notice that, I imagine anyway.

More and more people are wearing masks here, though with strange looks from other people it suggests a lot of people are not taking it seriously.
    So far there are no reported cases in my County; though I don't think enough is being done as we now have person to person cases; and idiots going out panic buying, dozens of rolls of paper for example, why does someone think they will need that much paper, leaving others short is irresponsible.

While they were huffing and puffing stripping shelves, didn't they think that someone doing the same thing next to them may already have it???

I think she scolded me because firstly, to be seen as being involved in such a religious ritual might not put her in a good light. Secondly she was in a crowded place but in the educational video, she asked people not to go to crowded places. Thirdly, I saw her on two nights , first night she was wearing a mask. In Singapore, we are actually directed by our Government not to wear a mask if we are not sick. I think it has to do with the mask shortages. Our government only gave each household four masks. Retail masks are hard to acquire.

So for her to be a spokesperson of the coronavirus, her actions were against the advice the Government gave. :open_mouth:
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    Thank you Sean, thought provoking and informative.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 9
    CExtUxN.jpg
    sbo7et0.jpg
    fo6Ere1.jpg

Shots of ladies performing Getai at Esplanade. In the past two weeks, almost all Getais around the island were cancelled. Full house at this concert. Life seems to be normalised here in Singapore.

Getai is a performance culture here that is more popular with the common folks of seniority. It is generally engaged by temples or small business districts for various celebrations and generally it is free. They generally perform Chinese and Hokkien songs dressed in outlandish costumes.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 10
    tTB359X.jpg
    ykzlYG2.jpg

A popular food for breakfast or late night eating.

xSxbORK.jpg
    ljs0qpz.jpg

Mee Soto, Muslim chicken noodles with added potato. Bought from the corner Muslim stall at a hawker centre in the picture.

• 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 12
    tZqYig6.jpg
    This is prawn noodle soup. I am not satisfied with the soup base as it was not intense enough

HDUBSyg.jpg
    People queueing for the prawn noodle. I thought it would be good. But I concluded that this queue was because the prawn noodle was value for money

31qyaib.jpg
    This is another prawn noodle dry. Note that the soup base is thick. I am happy with this.

CFOc8gb.jpg
    I spoke too soon that things are normalising here. Yesterday they introduced Social Distancing measures at the seating arrangements of free movie screenings. We also need to be scan by a thermal scanner and register to enter the area.
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    edited March 13
    @168sean168
    I conclude you didn't like the prawn noodle then, or at least not as much as you would have liked.

Is the colour coding of seats the social distancing, I wondered how that worked from an earlier picture, I have to admit I'm still foxed.
    Post edited by KLmaker on
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited March 14
    KLmaker wrote: »
    @168sean168
    I conclude you didn't like the prawn noodle then, or at least not as much as you would have liked.

Is the colour coding of seats the social distancing, I wondered how that worked from an earlier picture, I have to admit I'm still foxed.

The soup of prawn noodle is important. Some stalls do it better than others. Overall I still like it :)

tiJe3Z8.jpg
    The seats colours have no meaning but previously they were close to each other as shown.

RaPK7IP.jpg
    Two days ago while waiting to watch free movies, our PM public message was screened. We were warned that things would get worst but we would be alright as they got measures in place.

He also added that if more cases appeared, only serious ones would be admitted to wards while light cases would be isolated at home. This is so that it would not overload the hospital.

They also announced last night that live ticketed performance shows with more than 250 seats have to be cancelled.

yQU5FUy.jpg

A free public singing performance at my community a few days ago. I am seated in a social distancing fashion and need to provide contact and name in case contact tracing needs to be carried out.

etR4loA.jpg

A Malay wedding preparations the night before at the void deck of a Government Flat. In Singapore, majority of the people live in Government flats. The better off ones will live in condominiums and the very rich will live in landed houses.

Government void decks are commonly used for either Chinese funerals or Malay Weddings. Just need to pay a nominal fee to the council to use it. Chinese weddings, however, mainly took place in hotels. In general, most people do not wish to be invited to a wedding as it would blow a big hole in the pocket.
    Post edited by 168sean168 on
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    @168sean168
    Yeah I know what you mean, some prawn dishes are better than others, but there is no "not liking it".

Though they don't look like that over here, most of the time it's in a plastic takeaway tub, it would in a restaurant though but I think going out is going to change soon.

I don't know what the noodles are called over there, but over here they look like rice noodles, cannot remember the last time I had regular noodles as I only have the rice ones.

There is only one dish that has rice noodles from the Chinese Takeaways in my town.
    Funnily enough if I rightly remember, it is Singapore Rice Noodles.
    Mixed in with strips of chicken, green pepper, I think chilli and shrimps as well, I'm sure there's other ingredients but I cannot remember what they are as I have it with rice that has other bits in as well.
  • KLmaker wrote: »
    @168sean168
    Yeah I know what you mean, some prawn dishes are better than others, but there is no "not liking it".

Though they don't look like that over here, most of the time it's in a plastic takeaway tub, it would in a restaurant though but I think going out is going to change soon.

I don't know what the noodles are called over there, but over here they look like rice noodles, cannot remember the last time I had regular noodles as I only have the rice ones.

There is only one dish that has rice noodles from the Chinese Takeaways in my town.
    Funnily enough if I rightly remember, it is Singapore Rice Noodles.
    Mixed in with strips of chicken, green pepper, I think chilli and shrimps as well, I'm sure there's other ingredients but I cannot remember what they are as I have it with rice that has other bits in as well.

There are many types of noodles here. Rice noodles are the white ones. We also got the yellow ones. They also comes in different sizes and shapes.

Yes there is a Singapore fried noodles here too. I seldom eat it though.