EA Forums - Banner

Snippets of Singapore's Life

Replies

• 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    lmXeCOF.jpg
    Eating at a food court with Social Distancing measures in place. Family and couples could still be close though.

The past couple of days, we are getting less imported cases but more community cases. The authorities still tries their best to contact trace each case to its origin.

Current death toll here is 4.

QMFOIU2.jpg
    I feel that people generally are taking upon themselves to stand at least 1 metre apart.

3CiOsi9.jpg
    I visit this eating place near my home quite frequently for the mixed rice veg meat meal. It is located at the void deck of a flat. We called it a coffeeshop aka Kopitiam (a Hokkien/ Teochew dialect, tiam means shop ). Though the word Kopitiam was also used by a big air con food court chain here. It is called a coffeeshop as the most basic stall present will definitely be selling coffee and tea and other beverages. The owner of the coffeeshop is also the one running the coffee stall. The coffeeshop has stalls you can find at a hawker centre. Price wise might be slightly more expensive.

91fk8Lz.jpg

It is quite common to see people resting or sleeping in the void deck. They generally are workers in the construction industry. After lunch they will find a void deck to take a nap.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    ojByD0Y.png

Number of cases at 1114 and fifth death occurred.

3U11FYO.png
    BraVPYV.png

In view of the unrelenting rise of community cases. Our Government finally implements more drastic measures. They called it a circuit breaker without using the word lockdown. Non essential businesses will be closed. People can work from home if the company has the means.
    Schools will be closed ( though people who could not care for the children can still send them to school). We cannot eat outside anymore and need to pack our food back. We can still go out for exercises or to supermarket.

The Government also said they will no longer discourage the use of masks. Saying that there seemed to be cases of infections from non symptoms people. They will be giving everyone a reusable mask, saying that surgical masks need to be preserved for the hospital use.

sDGGDgm.jpg
    DDAqzmo.jpg

In a precinct of flats, there are public facilities such as playgrounds and fitness corners. I don't really like to use the fitness machines because it works by moving your body weight and the movement makes me dizzy.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    4TF3tE5.jpg

I have avoided the town mall for the last one week but dropped by yesterday to run an errand. It was still very crowded with people queueing to eat in restaurants or to get into stores. In fact there was a queue to enter a gaming store. Probably looking for games to provide entertainment for the coming lockdown on Tuesday.

ryliWcq.jpg
    After the announcement of the drastic measures, it triggered another panic buying but Government assured us that there would be enough and not to hoard. At the moment this seems to be the case looking at the well stocked rice.

yesDnnd.jpg

A popular bakery here just launched a cake that looks like a toilet roll. Not cheap though at 10 SGD.

WfWFjN0.jpg
    Yesterday I had this dunkin donut for free via a promotion. I think it must have been a decade since I last ate such a donut that looks like the Simpsons donut. The game always reminded me of the donut. I feel that it was too sweet after eating. Donuts here are considered premium and common folks do not buy them often.
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    @168sean168
    Yuuummmmm, butter cream, that loo roll looks delicious.

Sprinklies, loads of 'em, not cool buddy, not cool at all.

We're in quarantine in our house for 16 days now, no one allowed out beyond the end of the drive and it's not a long drive, could squeeze in 2 cars length wise.
    The home shopping delivery has not delivered my fresh cream meringues for 2 weeks now, and you flash cakes at me.

I don't know about the loo roll, but I imagine one donut would be between £1 and £1.50 over here, (depends on if you eat in or not and where), probably why we have so many fatties, including me to be honest, explains why I haven't had one for a while.

Probably explains why we're looking at a Type 2 Diabetes epidemic as well.
    Availability of donuts in a lockdown probably not a good idea either.

It is not a full lockdown but it is not far off.
    Only allowed out for shopping for necessities, medical needs & medicines, essential work and work that cannot be done from home, exercise, and essential travel only which does not include driving to beauty spots or climbing the Cairngorns.
    Only allowed out for 1 hour of exercise a day, I think it's so we're less likely to meet someone who has it.
    Places of interest and some businesses are closed, even some public parks this weekend as it is really nice weather.
    Can also be fined for being outside without good reason and refusing to do as your told, such as go home.

I hope there's no panic buying and bulk buying, we had it here and it is shameful.
    "You don't use that much as it is, so why would you this time".
    Earlier in the week there were tons of food left out for the binmen, Best Before and Use By dates = what did they think would happen.
    Why did they not think about offering it to their neighbours, DUH!!!
    They are total scumbags and they should be fined.

Towards the end of the week it was about 3,000 deaths, Saturday 4,300, could be at 5,000 today.
    Post edited by KLmaker on
    I wanted to do it yesterday but I will invariably do it tomorrow (ish).
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    @KLmaker the dunkin donut here is around £1.15. We could get a rice meal of two vegetables and one meat for about £1.70. So the donut seems rather expensive.

Those people who hoarded and then disposed the food are indeed horrible.

I read that your PM is admitted to hospital. Hope he would be alright.

IERzI2f.jpg
    Yesterday I received the Government issued cloth face mask. Not sure how useful it would be.

nyvugDn.jpg

Over at the Singapore Expo, a place to hold large exhibition, preparations are underway to convert it to house recovering Covid-19 patients. Yesterday there was a steep jump in number of cases, 120 new cases. Mainly outbreaks at the dormitories of the foreign workers from India and Bangladesh.

RJIGlEs.jpg

I ate ba ku teh last night at a coffeeshop. Pork ribs herbal soup. The side dish is soya bean sticks, compliment from this particular server. I also asked for an extra bowl of soup. My last treat before the lockdown tomorrow.

0ze6mIo.jpg

In the news yesterday, a horse was seen galloping on our road yesterday. This was a rare sight. In fact the first time in my life to see this happening. The horse was recaptured and returned unharmed to the owner.
    Post edited by 168sean168 on
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    @168sean168
    Thank you, I hope so too, he wants Brexit, though he could have done more for British farmers, especially for eggs.

Initially the toll was slow and quiet and then it just started shooting up, I hope your authorities and public have done enough already.

Our total is 4,934 yesterday, so the curve could be flattening, but in such a short amount of time and doctors and nurses dying as well, I just cannot find the words, but it is frightening.

I read somewhere that someone could still be spreading the virus for 8 days after symptoms, so people should actually isolate for 2 weeks not 1.
    No one can take any chances with this, we are in a urban / rural environment here, nothing like London or Bristol; your town looks more like a city and this thing likes communities so you really need to be careful.

Our government could be about to ban all outdoor exercise away from their properties, I assume gardens will be excluded, or at least on a case by case basis.
  • Hi Sean - hope your lockdown is going ok so far. My sister in law and her family (Mount Faber) think they have a month's worth of goods except fresh fruit and vegetables! They have 3 kids from 7 to 2 years old, so I bet they're going mad...

In KL we have nearly reached the one month mark, and rumours are spreading that it will continue until May 12. I have been out twice to do shopping; luckily I know where the police checkpoints are so avoid them. It wouldn't be real trouble, just adding a lecture and a waste of 10 minutes to my journey. We have had extra controls put on, so I am no longer even allowed to walk on our roof or in our condo car park. I am really looking forward to being able to go for a walk again!

Gyp
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for sharing.

PPtXxKO.png

Our Island outbreak hits a record high of 287 cases yesterday. Bulk of the cases are from the workers dormitories. It was established that most of them can be linked back to the Mustafa shopping centre. This is a mall located within Little India that is hugely popular with the Indian communities, especially those from India and working here.

I didnt hoard additional food. I got oat meals, instant noodles and canned food that could last me about two weeks. Our Supermarkets and wet markets are still opened. We can also go out for exercises. The government locked down the stadiums today though as people are still gathering in groups to exercise. And the number of people in the parks actually increases as people are using the exercise excuses to go to parks. Government said they will monitor the situation to see if tighter measures are required.

I still go to the nearby coffeeshop to buy my one meal.

I was wrong about masks being readily available here. They are either sold out or heavily marked up.

Last night at 1230 am I was the only person walking in the neighborhood park though.

cpC4xSa.jpg
    qlKDMfk.jpg
    mp97pBj.jpg
    4WRfru4.jpg

The isolation ward at Singapore expo has taken shape and will be used to house recovering patients or patients with mild symptoms.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    7b0Mhi8.png
    There is an exponential rise in the number of cases here, dominated by outbreaks in the dorms of foreign workers, namely from Bangladesh and India. The Government is sourcing for more and more locations to house these affected workers. On the local community numbers, last week there is an average of 31 daily cases, down slightly from 40 cases the week before.

The Government has also announced the mandatory wearing of masks the moment you leave the house. Exemption is when you are jogging or running.

There is an important outbreak of cases in a few McDonalds outlets here and today McDonalds said they will shut down all operations till first week of May.

There are 11 deaths so far.

de18YUy.jpg
    Policeman saw man sitting on bench and chased him home. By right he could be fined 300 SGD for this. I used this picture I took to send two groups of people, including a frolicking Indian couple home that night, warning them about the presence of policeman. Unfortunately Indian man grabbed my phone for a closer look. That night I went home, I wiped down my phone as I didn't want strangers to touch my phone during this period.

Xnsyvyt.jpg

The same Indian couple appeared again on the second night, loitering and blatantly smoked at a non smoking area. I called the non emergency police hotline on them but one hour later they were still sitting there. Guess they didn't entertain this non emergency case.

I was doing my brisk walking exercise. But sitting around is not allowed and they were also polluting the fitness corner air.

EL9Dynv.jpg
    People at the supermarket.

V54UX9I.jpg
    yQ4pyav.jpg
    F9BS2qr.jpg
    b4QTeDg.jpg
    7N2YeLm.jpg

Someone shared his living conditions at at isolation area set up at expo including food served. All foc.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    CWzVlMA.png

The cases among our migrant workers are still high. Our PM has just announced that the lockdown (they called it circuit breaker) will be extended by another four weeks to 1 Jun 2020. Though local community cases are dropping, PM is concerned that the unlinked cases are still maintaining.

Our Government also urged us to only travel and exercise alone and not to go out as a family.

Then from tomorrow Wed, barbers, pet shops and opticians must shut down too. But online delivery allowed for pet shops and appt only for opticians.

EEw7cO7.jpg
    People observing social distancing queueing for hawker food.

D0qtylB.jpg

Someone made this funny pic. Our McDonalds were ordered to shutdown after a few outlets have infected staff.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Watching season 3 of Westworld is a strange and exciting experience for me because some scenes were shot in Singapore. Sometimes I was distracted from the story as I tried to identify the surrounding to see if it was from Singapore. Singapore is rarely used by the big studios for filming. So this is like a big thing and the series was almost like promoting Singapore. I will share some scenes I saw in episode one of the series, generally they are supposed to be the future city scenes of LA

F1yadSq.jpg
    This scene was shot in a MRT Station, known as Stadium Station.

eWOrMGi.jpg

The interior of an MRT, this is called the circle line. There are a few MRT lines here and the model of the MRTs varies. The newer ones are driverless like this one

w86v6kK.jpg

The tall building in the background is actually a high end housing project by the Government called The Pinnacle, located in the town area

C6DrG1h.jpg

ce4WpxA.jpg

This two scenes were taken at La Salle College of the Arts. It has weird looking buildings

bsQWhzi.jpg

wyOrlfG.jpg

This was taken inside Marina One building

ZdCT2jx.jpg

This was taken at the helix bridge, so named as it has a design that looks like a DNA strand. Along the bridge are various look out balconies. The bridge leads to the iconic Marina Bay Sands.

fruallX.jpg

I was around during their filming set up last year. It was a big undertaking involving a lot of crews. I think it was on the late evening of 6 Jul 2019

ymy4jIm.jpg

This was shot in the main shopping belt Orchard road. Somewhere between Wisma Atrium and ION, two shopping buildings. In the background we can see Isetan located inside Wisma.

oWOFScg.jpg

This escalator where the lost character was using and staring at the animated Koi on the ceiling is located inside ION

bL07S5a.jpg

This rooftop garden was shot at Parkroyal collection @ the Pickering. This hotel actually has a very beautiful facade with lush vertical greens in a very fluid design

KFpmqax.jpg

This was shot I believe at the National Gallery.

WUhjQ29.jpg

2esEwBN.jpg

This two scenes were taken at Pulau Ubin. A small island off Singapore that has maintained its old rustic charms. I have not been there in decades though. I last went there on a cycling trip. To go there you would take small boat from Changi Village jetty. I think it cost about 3 SGD per trip. It is a very short ride.

xGTC5Y0.jpg

The kind of boat you may ride to go to the island. Photo from someone who just went recently
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited May 7
    bg3NBRJ.jpg

Making our news headlines this week, a fine lady created a buzz after she refused to abide by the Covid-19 laws here to wear a mask in public. She said she is a Sovereign and cannot be touched by the law and police. This idea is foreign to locals here. She has been arrested and and charged in Court. She was fined 300 SGD earlier for another offence of not wearing a mask

This is a clip taken by someone at the scene.

xQGPAL8.jpg
    Social distancing waiting area. Customers waiting to collect their food to pack back home.

dnZkua5.jpg
    Social distancing officers making sure that laws are abode.

xxiV75n.jpg

A friend's flat has a case and this notice was pasted.

uVPCHX5.jpg

The statistics are now presented differently as the total number of cases have broken out of the roof. Everyday we are seeing outbreak of many cases from the dorms of migrant workers. There are around 400,000 migrant workers here, mainly in construction and menial jobs. I do not know why things evolved this way but I guess businesses want to keep profits high and hence would only employ workers for low wages. Our locals here wouldn't be able to survive on their low wages. The wages earned by the workers would be substantial when they return home though

Number of local community cases varies and are generally low so far, like fewer than 15 cases a day to even 5 cases a day

y1v6PUW.jpg

A friend sent me this picture of a sunset at Upper Seletar Reservoir. He couldn't stand walking around the neighborhood and prefer to go to a place with water bodies. We have various water Reservoirs around the island and they double up as parks

Edit 7 May 2021

SINGAPORE: A woman who caused a commotion at a market during the "circuit breaker" period last year by refusing to wear a mask and calling herself a "sovereign" was sentenced to two weeks' jail and a fine of S$2,000 on Friday (May 7).

Paramjeet Kaur, 41, pleaded guilty to a charge each of causing a public nuisance and of failing to wear a mask. Another five charges including occasions where she failed to wear a mask were considered in sentencing.

As Kaur had previously been remanded at the Institute of Mental Health for two weeks with no mental disorder found, she will not have to serve any additional jail time.
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    168sean168 wrote: »
    bg3NBRJ.jpg

Making our news headlines this week, a fine lady created a buzz after she refused to abide by the Covid-19 to wear a mask in public. She said she is a Sovereign. This idea is foreign to locals here. She has been arrested and and charged in Court. She was fined 300 SGD earlier for another offence of not wearing a mask

Sovereign???
    What is she a princess???
    Daughter of a dignatory??? Not sure if I've spelt that correctly as predictive doesn't recognise it.

If she is something, then she should be leading by example, although, I used to work with someone who was a right backside/rear end, like a donkey but with a "r" in it, and he was always telling everyone at work he was related to royalty because what came out didn't stink, be it wind or matter.
    We were not allowed to use his toilet because we were dirty smelly oikes.

Liking the posts Sean, really informative, if the Government gets a handle on it then it shouldn't be too bad, hopefully.
    We have had it less time than you and it is really not good.

Nearly 200,000 infected and nearly 30,000 dead I think.
    At least 50 doctors, nurses and other health care workers have died.
    Looking over the last 4 weeks, it averages, (estimate), nearly 5,000 new cases a day and nearly 800 deaths a day.

Scarily, as well as the number of young healthy people that have suffered and even died, there are also children who have had nasty inflammation response while testing negative until much later on.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    KLmaker wrote: »
    168sean168 wrote: »
    bg3NBRJ.jpg

Making our news headlines this week, a fine lady created a buzz after she refused to abide by the Covid-19 to wear a mask in public. She said she is a Sovereign. This idea is foreign to locals here. She has been arrested and and charged in Court. She was fined 300 SGD earlier for another offence of not wearing a mask

Sovereign???
    What is she a princess???
    Daughter of a dignatory??? Not sure if I've spelt that correctly as predictive doesn't recognise it.

If she is something, then she should be leading by example, although, I used to work with someone who was a right backside/rear end, like a donkey but with a "r" in it, and he was always telling everyone at work he was related to royalty because what came out didn't stink, be it wind or matter.
    We were not allowed to use his toilet because we were dirty smelly oikes.

The idea seems to have originated from US, about people who refused to be governed by laws. The people here are equally dumbfounded.

Thanks for reading my post. I am not sure how is the situation going to be, with countries all expressing the wish to go back to normal. I think the elderly people would be worst hit. And with hospitals being overwhelmed, patients of other ailments may face issues too
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    [quote=The idea seems to have originated from US, about people who refused to be governed by laws. The people here are equally dumbfounded[/quote]

We have them as well, they call themselves "Free Britons" or "Free English" and the laws of the land don't apply to them, it's bad enough when bigoted migrants do it.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    WNAK1AP.jpg

Press photo showing police combing an area for evidence.

On 10 May 2020, a 38 year old local Chinese ethnic man was jogging alone at 11 pm and was stabbed multiple times and succumbed to his injuries. This was a big news as outrageous murders rarely occurred here. On 16 May 2020, a 20 year old Indian Sg man was arrested. Though newspapers did not elaborate on his background, netizens have dug out info that he should be a new citizen or permanent resident of Singapore. The murderer might have mental issues and might eventually escaped the gallows.

thxACM1.jpg

The victim in the foreground.

V8G8FNS.jpg

The perpetrator, currently remanded for mental health evaluation.

lzk36N6.jpg
    Singapore has a lot of CCTV everywhere. Especially in the vicinity of MRT stations.

iCM8Hiy.jpg
    In selected populated bus stops, there are also CCTVs.

xrDjo2H.jpg
    CCTV at void decks of Government flats leading to lobby.

Er7WGEX.jpg
    CCTV at lift lobbies of Flats.

zfLTgb3.jpg
    CCTV within the lifts itself.

ShaG7ul.jpg
    CCTV at the void deck of a flat.

With such extensive CCTVs, it is hard to get away from a major crime. The bulk of the locals here live in flats. Generally these CCTVs would be used to solve crimes such as ****, robbery and murder. I am disappointed they didn't use it to nab peccadilloes such as errant smoking and littering though.

These extensive CCTVs appeared around a decade ago. My MP held a free block lunch with the kind police in polo and bermuda to assauge us of any insecurities. They said that police in bicycles dressed in Bermuda and polos doing patrolling would also be a common sight. That didn't happen but the cameras stayed. That was the only free block lunch meeting that ever occurred.

At the moment such widespread monitoring CCTV didn't extend to the well spaced landed private properties estate though. So it is the bulk of the common people living in flats being recorded.

I am disappointed they had never shared footages of cams before though in my view, it could be educational.

um4BGZu.jpg

A netizen uploaded this photo to his Facebook that showed many expats ignoring the Covid-19 laws to have gathering, smoking and drinking at a place known as Robertson Quay. Many were not wearing masks too. That place houses communities of expats. A posh area with residentials next to the Singapore river. This photo sets off an outrage in the local community who accused the authorities of double standards. At moment, the enforcement officers only appear mainly in markets and hawker centres where the local common folks loiter. One authority has stepped in to stop the sale of alcohol at the restaurants located at the quay area. Another authority just said that they will analyse the photos for possible enforcement.

ChzBRNy.jpg

A night shot of the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, taken by someone who cycled there. According to him, there are a lot of cyclists now making use of the Covid-19 lockdown to do their cycling on the roads. As seen from the picture, there are totally no lights from the hotel rooms because MBS with the casino and museums is shutdown during the current pandemic. Below the sail structure you can see a projected display of the emblem of Singapore. A crescent moon and five stars.

The crescent moon represents a young nation on the ascendant, and the five stars depict Singapore's ideals of democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality.
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Hi @168sean168
    Just had a look on a good website worldometers.com/coronavirus.

I expect it doesn't break down the data to the point you see on your own news, it really just gives an overview.
    Sadly 24 have lost their lives.
    But your Active Cases is coming down, the curve doesn't even appear to have flattened, it went up and now it's going down.
    Your Government does seem to have got a handle on it, hopefully things only get better.

I can't remember when I thought it, be it February or March, but tourism in and out of UK should have been stopped then.
    The number of Britons trapped because they flew out in March or April, really!!!... Incubation period anyone???

So how you doing there, you seem to be watching a lot of TV, lol, (yeah I follow that thread like everyone else), you OK, in my 11th week of quarantine here.
    Stay safe dude, and everyone else for that matter.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    QOPfnRb.jpg

Yes @KLmaker we are still having hundreds of cases daily. They are due to proactive testing on the migrant workers living in dormitories. I do not know what is going there, I believe due to the proximity of the living quarters, these workers are continuing the spread of the viruses among themselves.

Our local community cases are low though, generally fewer than 10 cases per day as seen from the chart. Due to this unrelenting numbers, our Government are still concerned about the spread. Our Circuit Breaker has ended and 2 Jun 2020 we entered a phase 1 opening. Most of the lockdowns are still in place. For example, sport and gym and entertainment facilities would remain closed. Schools have opened. But they will be practicing partial opening with half the time devoted to home based learning via weekly rotation. Only the graduating cohort of the primary and secondary will be back to school full time.

Excerpt From Gov website

"Most manufacturing and production facilities, eg. semiconductors and medical technology; and Most businesses with employees working in offices and setting that do not require interactions with large groups of people, eg. finance & insurance, and IT & info services ". Allowed businesses

"Each household will be allowed to visit their parents or grandparents staying elsewhere, to allow families to spend time and provide support to one another. However, every household should limit such visits to only one per day, and to not more than two persons from the visiting household.

Dropping off children at parents’ and grandparents’ homes for childcare will also be allowed, subject to the same limit of two visitors from the same visiting household per day. "

dBkeuiJ.jpg

Our Government just gave each of us a second reusable mask. This one is more breathable and is antibacterial.

IpAHuah.jpg

A man has been arrested for stealing more than 200 masks from a vending machine by making use of Identity numbers he stole in his work in manpower services. We can use the vending machine to get the government masks by using our identity numbers. Thanks to the police cams, the man was found and apprehended.

VCb7Dx8.jpg

In the Robertson Quay denizens case who disregarded the Covid-19 lockdown, six men and one lady were identified and would be charged. They are four Britons, two Americans and one Austrian. Netizens were having quiet discussion on what penalties they would receive. Most believe probably a slap on the wrist. Previously, we have had at least 29 work pass holders having their passes revoked for such breaches. Work pass holders are for lower income staff while higher income expats will be issued employment passes.

2TYNA6q.jpg

This lovely Chinese national 38 year old lady was fined 7000 SGD for providing home massage with a happy ending when visitations are not allowed during COVID-19

5Ss66t2.jpg

Another 55 year-old Chinese national was also guilty of providing massage with a happy ending at her salon but her sentencing was postponed as she cried in court even though she pleaded guilty.

Edit:. Lady just returned to court and started to cry again. The judge said "No need to cry to impress me here."  She was fined SGD22,000. Probably she has other offences like operating a Salon without a license for massage and for not closing for Covid-19 lockdown. Also she is a Singaporean. But most believe she is a new citizen due to her obvious Chinese national name.

glEPkBK.jpg
    g7Bp5kn.jpg
    KSvDRXW.jpg
    ClWYBBT.jpg

Some recovered Migrant Workers were quarratined on a cruise ship and living a good life, being fed and paid at the same time

r7apW3l.jpg
    uHT8ZzG.jpg

During the recent Hari Raya festival last weekend, the migrant workers here were served specialty food. Looks good.

bBQgTJJ.jpg

Our new conscription soldiers would be reporting for proper training in camp. Previously, they need not report and was given home based training. It is the best time to be doing National Service. Reservist trainings were also put on hold. In Singapore, males above 18 years old would be liable for 2 years full time service. (2.5 years during my time for NCOs and Officers). They would also do a 10 year reservist cycle (13 years previously) where they return for training for between two to three weeks in some years. Some years the reservist might be shorter.

KM7LpIJ.jpg

A pair of parents birds have built a nest and laid two eggs on my plants in the common corridor. I am not sure what bird it is. Might be a bulbul bird. This happened before a few years ago but the chicks were stolen then. I hate these humans who stole chicks from the wild.

BbefWnV.jpg

A bulbul bird I took from the Internet. Hard to snap a picture of the parent bird as she would be scared and flew away

lzjadlv.jpg

A treetop walk suspension bridge at MacRitchie Reservoir. Photo taken by a friend who went there. I have not been to the place though. As generally I think those with a car would be more likely to visit it. Easier to reach and also easier to get changed after the walk. The last time I went to that reservoir was like more than 2 decades ago.

@KLmaker, I am missing certain food during this lockdown. Because I only have certain food available near me. Other foods were further away and we are not allowed to dine in. I do not want to purposely go there in public transport and to pack it back.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    I took some pictures of my visit to National Museum back in Feb 2019

KJclczE.jpg
    The National Museum. It has a history dating back to 1849. Long ago the focus used to be on zoology. There was a stuffed tiger I believe and bones of a whale. There was a scary looking spiral staircase too that some said lead to a haunted roof. The focus of the museum now is on the history of Singapore as a permanent exhibition and other changing special exhibitions. At one point in the history of the restoration of the museum, there was a plane depicted as crashing into the roof.

zKTDucX.jpg
    In old times, Rickshaw was the main mode of private transportation.

6T2m7jU.jpg
    The fashion of the socialites back then.

zY4GhYy.jpg
    A depiction of a street scene back then

KIA1zSm.jpg
    Propaganda film poster by Japanese

Cia8okB.jpg
    Japanese Tanks rolling down from Malaya into Singapore, sending defenders running.

The bulk of the land troops streamed into Singapore on bicycles. The bicycles can be seen at the back of the tank.

acpneyM.jpg
    Another propaganda film from the Japanese

KUbuYOn.jpg
    Propaganda Japanese poster depicting supposedly racial harmony during the occupation.

wAS85Pu.jpg
    Propaganda poster on Japanese aviation.

During the Japanese occupation of Singapore, they carried out a registration process known as Sook Ching. The word Sook Ching has a meaning stringent purging and cleansing

Many Chinese men were registered and identified, some under false premise of going to a factory. But instead they were sent in truckloads to various beaches to be massacred by shooting and bayoneting. The local estimate of the number of civilians massacred and killed in this occupation was 50,000. My mother kept a boy hairstyle to prevent being taken away by the Japanese. It was said that the Japanese really hated the Chinese for their persistent resistance to their invasion in China. Also overseas Chinese back then would send money to support the war effort.

One of sites of the massacre, Changi Beach, was said to be haunted and people avoided visiting it for a long time.

O2XY72Q.jpg

Durian season is here. I rarely ate it as it is luxurious for me. At most I may eat once in a few years. Once you get started on it, you might be hooked and couldn't stop. I bought this at a end of day special price. Original was 38SGD and down to 20 SGD. Durian is simply the best food in the world.
  • 168sean168
    4038 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    In Covid-19 news, here are some examples of offences that took place and the penalties

8oaUnfR.jpg

This man blatantly took pictures of a meal gathering and posted on Facebook with the following caption

“After a long long long long super long day... we are having a illegal gathering... so what? Enjoy the food to the max.”

He has been fined 4500 SGD as social gatherings were banned.

0aemZDn.jpg

This FedEx American pilot was sentenced to four weeks jail for failing to stay quarantined and went to town for shopping.

lagPnPN.jpg

This man, after coming back from Myanmar was supposed to serve a stay home notice. But he went out to multiple places, including meeting up with girlfriend and also posted a picture of a food he ate in social media, Bak Ku Teh ( Herbal Pork Ribs soup). He was sentenced to six weeks jail.

6f3kERv.jpg

This flight attendant was supposed to serve a stay home notice after returning from Australia. But she went out anyway for shopping. She was fined 4000 SGD

snCIXa8.jpg

This fine lady went out to meet boyfriend twice, also met another friend and was also found not wearing a mask. She was handed a 5000 SGD fine.

B4cf8CU.jpg
    Zj8YExW.jpg

This group of 10 Indian Nationals students had a gathering at a flat. Each was fined an amount ranging from 2000 SGD to 4500 SGD

q1qJW2v.jpg
    44IHhN0.jpg
    phSGcgX.jpg

Today 19 June 2020, we enter phase 2 of the lifting of the Covid-19 circuit breaker. The most impactful items for me is the ability to eat out and to go to gym. Social distancing rules remain though and masks wearing is mandatory except during eating and doing strenuous exercises like running

fiBA4f3.jpg

This is the current Covid-19 statistics. Community cases yesterday was 4. Dormitories cases was 253.

5WN44KB.jpg

One of the eggs in the nest of my plant has hatched and the fledgling is no longer pinkish and has opened its eyes. Before it could open its eyes, she thought I was the parent and kept asking for food. Now that her eyes are opened, when she noted that I was not the parent , she quickly went back to its proning position.

BR1AbgD.jpg

My first meal outside since 7 Apr 2020 circuit breaker. Roasted pork and duck rice