EA Forums - Banner

Snippets of Singapore's Life

Replies

• KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    edited June 22
    @168sean168
    I am not surprised some Britons were not wearing masks because there are a lot who will not wear them here either.
    Before lockdown I was wearing mask and gloves, but no one else were that I saw.
    Someone went out a week ago and said it was still like that, but this is regarding members of the public of course, not key workers who are following the rules.

About a month ago there was an article in the paper about 4 men in a car who had fired a gun in a public place, (I think it was an airgun and a road sign sort of thing), the gun charge and so on is being investigated but they were all fined a Fixed Penalty Notice, about £60 I think, for being out for no good reason.

As for quarantine fines, it is in such a mess that no one has been monitored or fined.
    When I say quarantine fines, I mean people who have travelled into Britain and not following quarantine rules.
    Post edited by KLmaker on
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    I see @KLmaker . Right now over here, almost everyone wears a mask. The rebellious ones will expose the nose. Some will remove when they sat down to chit chat. I also see that most will automatically scan a safe entry QR code at a retailer even though smaller retailers didn't position anyone to enforce it.
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    edited July 23
    @168sean168
    Just edited previous post about quarantine.

We too are coming out of lockdown, as our daily deaths has dropped considerably.
    Even though our daily infections are still over 1,000 a day, which is a lot more than the few people who travelled here in the first place.
    I don't know what our active cases look like since the start of the pandemic as that information is not recorded, whereas it is in Singapore.

I cannot remember the dates, but at its highest, Singapore had 20,500 active cases, then it dropped to 12,600, rose briefly to 13,000 and has now dropped to 7,000+.
    7,000+ for the whole of Singapore at this moment in time, according to worldometers dot com, they have information on every affected country.

Considering some people are not wearing masks or gloves and are queuing or shopping as though nothing's wrong, I am dreading a second spike.
    Masks are mandatory on public transport, but I wouldn't know about that as I've been holed up for 3 months, and when I go out to work tomorrow for the first time, I will be driving.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    Actually the bulk of our cases since early April have been at foreign worker dormitories and construction sites, with 39,908 of 42,313 total confirmed cases being dormitory residents as of 22 June.

Due to this sudden steep rise, the Government implemented the lockdowns and also spent billions of dollars from the reserves to help the businesses and people whose livelihood were affected by it . Though ironically people who are unemployed in the first place are somehow not covered in the various assistance Covid-19 package.

Yes I read that many countries seemed not to care about the pandemic anymore and I was also surprised to learn that some countries are only just starting to enforce the wearing of masks in public places and transportation. I also think that another spike might be imminent.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited June 24
    ees3RNw.jpg
    I went for a dinner outing last night and had crabs. These are big Sri Lanka crabs.

JoD1kY1.jpg
    This is crab prepared by steaming.

JdT78lr.jpg
    This is crab prepared stirred fried with Salt

akR3kVB.jpg
    This is Beef Fried Kway Tiao.

Eating crab is a luxurious experience for me as they are exorbitant. Hot Pepper and Chilli are the two popular ways of preparation here. But last night the way the crabs were ordered, you can taste the crab meat better. This place is supposedly a cheaper place to eat crabs instead of eating at an air conditioned restaurant. It is not air conditioned and located far away from the city. However it is located amongst rich people and their landed properties though

Note that crabs are charged by per kilogramme and if you think by going to a hawker centre you can eat for cheap, you may still be shocked with the bill later. Once in a blue moon some tourists complained about being overcharged for their seafood adventure at a hawker centre. But generally eating seafood is always expensive. Best is to check all the pricings properly first when ordering.

Rfna2GK.jpg

Passengers in MRT wearing their masks and practising social distancing where possible.

cdDrZtM.jpg
    This restaurant, British Indian Curry Hut, had a big crowd outside on the first night of phase 2 covid opening. They were smoking, chatting and hanging out. The authorities ordered it to shut down the next day for failing to enforce social distancing. The manager lamented that most were not his customers though and that he could not enforce social distancing.

2LJBNYS.jpg

The sight of the restaurant after being asked to shut down.

The restaurant is located at a place known as Holland Village. It is located out of the city area but the place has a bohemien vibes to it and is a popular place for expats and hip people with cars to hang out. Two fights also broke out on the first night of the opening and made news.

EoOxnsR.jpg

Yesterday was the last day I saw the fledgling in the nest outside my house. She was freaked out by me when I was nearby and jumped and flew off. I hope she made it. I went downstairs to find her but could not find her anymore
    Post edited by 168sean168 on
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited June 26
    zbaggHN.jpg
    The case of the Robertson Quay Covid-19 breaches has reached its verdict. All were fined either 8000 SGD or 9000 SGD each. Six out of Seven had their work pass permanently evoked. To date since the lockdown 140 work passes have been evoked.

L5IP1jI.jpg
    Another two Britons had been identified for similar breaches at the Quay and their verdict would be announced later.

4owsgOS.jpg

I had fish soup with rice. Soup is tasty and we like to dip the white fish into a fermented sauce with sliced chilli padi.

QEJeJ5O.jpg
    Social distancing panels at McDonalds.

VbArWNz.jpg
    Ate two coconut pies, the box so big but the pie is somewhat small.

q8sIbhr.jpg
    Yesterday was a rice dumpling day aka dragonboat festival. I don't observe it and it is not a public holiday here. The dumplings will be more expensive so I didn't buy. Some people may pray to God / Ancestors on this day.

KpxwOWq.jpg

Temasek holdings, the Government investment arm, suddenly wanted to give everyone two more reusable masks. I believe this is a carrot to promote more people to support the ruling party PAP. We can receive the mask from masks vending machines with our ID.

On 23 Jun 2020, the PM suddenly announced that there would be holding an election polling on the 10 Jul 2020. With this two new masks, coupled with some rebates and allowance given to us during the Covid-19, I really have to sit down and consider how to use my sacred vote.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited June 28
    jBvuxJS.jpg

This scenery appeared in Westworld S3. It is showing Esplanade Theatre. On the left towards the back is a very tall hotel, now known as Swissotel the Stamford, formerly known as Westin Stamford Singapore.

Jhb57I8.jpg

The aerial view of the Esplanade, Theatres on the Bay, Singapore. I was lucky enough to take a free guided tour long time ago to appreciate the supposedly state of the art interior. It has this gigantic circular timber ceiling that could be raised and lowered to adjust the acoustic of the hall. I believe now you need to pay a nominal amount to get the same tour.

I attended a couple of free lunch time concerts at the theatre before. The only time I went on a paid admission was with a lady to watch an orchestra. I fell asleep but luckily she paid for the tickets.

The locals like to call this place the durian in the beginning as it looks like a durian fruit. The word esplanade was quite a mouthful for some seniors here in the past. This theatre was inaugurated in 2002.

FeNsfCy.jpg

Close up view of Swissotel the Stamford. This is a posh star rating hotel. I don't know how the star system works but it is at least five star. Back in 1986 when it first opened, it was the tallest hotel in the world.

In my working life, I bought a membership to make use of the restaurants at special discounts but too bad, it was underutilized. Sadly the same goes for the special rate hotel stays. I did go to the restaurant right at the top level numerous times for buffet. Took some nice shots there. I think I last went up there like three years ago to celebrate my birthday. Night time a club runs up there and you could see flashing light emitting from the windows

njsmkNA.jpg

6sk1jxP.jpg

This two scenes also appeared in Westworld S3 of a beautiful bar. It has a very gothic art decor theme. The bar is called Atlas Bar

vd3uMfd.jpg

The atlas bar is located in the lobby of Parkview Square building as shown. Building is located at Bugis, a central district.

This is a commercial building. For a long time, many people don't even know it exist. When people started to notice it, they called it the Gotham building. There are a lot of art pieces around the building, including statues. Though they did redesign before and replaced a lot of the statues with other art work. The owner has a good collection of Salvador Dali art pieces located in both the compound and the lobby area. There are also statues located at the top of the facade of the building. And there is also a Botero sculpture of a dressed woman in the compound.

5Uo7vWJ.jpg

Statues on the facade at the top of the building.

A video I last recorded of the Botero sculpture.

The design and colour of the building also have a lot of Feng Shui elements. The brown grounded colours to absorb the strong sharp vibes of a sharp looking building behind it.

Although the place may seem like a place for rich elites to visit, it is actually very accessible. The compound is freely accessible and so is the lobby where the open concept Atlas bar is located. There is also one floor devoted entirely for the exhibition of arts and generally it is free admission. In earlier days, a waitress would be strung up and lifted up and down the bar to access liquors in the tall cabinets.

v5fYR5f.jpg

Strung up waitress. I don't think they do this anymore. I am not sure.

Overall this is a nice building to visit to admire the architecture and the art work and to finish up with a drink at the bar. I have not patronised the bar before though.

R5nHqqi.jpg
    VzgEUkt.jpg
    MIxJk22.jpg

Nicer pictures of Atlas Bar.

TzJ0UJ9.jpg

Last night I had a nice pork porridge and freshly squeezed sugar cane juice. I had not drunk cane juice for a long time ever since it's prices kept rising.
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    I don't watch Westworld but the Atlas Bar does look very familiar, either it has been in something else or it was another place or a filming set.
    As for social distancing at MacDonalds, I always stay well away, har har.
    Excellent pics and good posts @168sean168.
  • KLmaker wrote: »
    I don't watch Westworld but the Atlas Bar does look very familiar, either it has been in something else or it was another place or a filming set.

The show featured another bar that has a statue of a goddess with multiple hands. It was a bit gothic looking too. Could this be the one you saw?

I think this is called Tao Bar and can be found in Chicago or New York

uFcUPRi.jpg
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    168sean168 wrote: »
    KLmaker wrote: »

The show featured another bar that has a statue of a goddess with multiple hands. It was a bit gothic looking too. Could this be the one you saw?

uFcUPRi.jpg

Definitely much more the Atlas Bar, but thanks for the pic.

Forgot to say in earlier post, I hope that Beef Fried Kway Tiao is tasty, it looks like from a distance something a Klingon would eat.
  • KLmaker wrote: »

uFcUPRi.jpg

Definitely much more the Atlas Bar, but thanks for the pic.

Forgot to say in earlier post, I hope that Beef Fried Kway Tiao is tasty, it looks like from a distance something a Klingon would eat.

The beef kway Tiao did look pretty ugly on hindsight. It was pretty good. I prefer the normal type though where it is usually served with fish cakes and cockles. Fried Kway Tiao is a popular Hawker food here.

I updated my post with better pictures of the Atlas Bar. You will feel as if you are a higher being when you see the bar in person.
  • johncolombo
    11281 posts Senior Moderator
    edited July 8

uFcUPRi.jpg

that's a beautiful bar :o<3
    edit: I meant that comment for the Atlas Bar
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member

uFcUPRi.jpg

that's a beautiful bar :o<3
    edit: I meant that comment for the Atlas Bar

Just had another look at the Atlas Bar to remind me, it is incredible, it doesn't look real.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited July 11
    MAtQ9F4.jpg
    TQoOSny.jpg
    Hhn2Zlv.jpg
    pd109K1.jpg
    4RNCLH6.jpg
    4GUNoTg.jpg
    l7NuNGx.jpg
    Election banners in my town.

ZDLZmDq.jpg
    A election message on a LED display in the lift of my flat, assuring that voting is safe amid Covid-19.

EwsiSC1.jpg
    OaZldWh.jpg
    fqBz1x8.jpg
    ZbARTsY.jpg
    Election banners in a neighbouring town

The 2020 Singaporean general election is scheduled for Friday, 10 July 2020. It will elect Members of Parliament to the 14th Parliament of Singapore since Singapore's independence in 1965. It will be a public holiday. Last election happened in 2015.

This year election is an interesting one as there are no public rallys and all are conducted online. But we still need to vote physically.

NBnpBHe.jpg
    Multiple polling stations would be set up in a town. They will be located in schools and void decks. This one is located in a void deck of a flat.

BhW3c9H.jpg
    Election duty officers attending a briefing for the big day tomorrow. Long time ago I was arrowed to be one such officer and handled the registration of voting slips.

gXboUtf.jpg
    The setting up the polling station has started. Once set up, we would see police on duty over the night until the next day.

I am generally apathetic to the rallying but the results revealing can be quite exciting and can continue all the way till like 4 to 5 am. Generally, the ruling party PAP would always secure the majority of the seats and that makes the opposition interesting as underdogs. This year there will be 10 opposition parties with 93 seats in parliament to contend for.

Edit after results. : The Ruling Party PAP was not too happy about the results as although they won 61.24 per cent of the votes, this was an 8.7-point swing from its 69.9 per cent share in the 2015 polls. 

Also the opposition took 4 new seats bringing total to 10 while PAP will have 83 seats.

A PAP minister from the losing team would have to step down. Many memes were created about him. Being a minister here is a big deal as they earn astronomical income.

xFjJQwa.jpg
    Generally, there is a drop in percentage vote in every town as compared to last election 2015.

The Law Minister said that they would have to reflect and carry out soul searching.
  • It’s been a while since I have looked in on your thread, Sean. Nice to see you’re getting out a bit post circuit-breaker.

My thoughts - I hope the British Indian Curry Hut opens again before I next visit Singapore!

What happened to the ‘sovereign citizen’ lady who was in court in June? I couldn’t find anything online.

You need to find someone to cook you bak chang - my mother in law makes them so I have a load in the freezer. Vegetarian with chillies for me, pork for my wife. MIL has won awards for them, and we get them free!

Our McDonald’s pies are currently yuzu and cream cheese (quite tasty, would prefer just yuzu I think) and pulut hitam santan (not tried yet, but I didn’t like the bubur cha cha and I suspect it will be similar). For those outside SE Asia, Yuzu is a citrus fruit that tastes to me like a cross between a lemon and a sweet grapefruit; pulut hitam is black sticky-ish rice, and santan is coconut cream.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    @gypsymacgyver, yes the sovereign lady is an interesting case. I think she has not been brought to court yet. The last I know was that she was sent to mental health hospital for evaluation first.

In my parents time, we did make our own bakchang. We had this charcoal stove on a chinese wok and a huge aluminium cover. We would move the charcoal around with a long time tong. I remembered I played with the charcoal and the newspaper laid on the floor caught fire. Luckily my brother was around and extinguished it with a cup of water. Your MIL is so nice. I have never tried any vegetarian dumpling before. The one I did tried is called Kee Chang. It comes without fillings and we would dip it into sugar to eat. Have not seen that variety in years.

Looks like you have very interesting MCD pies there too! We ate Yuzu often in the past. Now I don't eat as much as the price has gone up a lot.
  • Here’s a pic of the bak chang, in case people are interested. They are rice dumplings stuffed with filling. The top one is a Nyonya one, coloured using butterfly pea flower, and filled with mince flavoured with coriander, five spice and something sweet; the bottom one is Hokkien and is filled with (mock) pork chunks, candle nuts, salted duck egg yolk and chewy mushrooms, in a savoury style. Plus chillies because I am very lucky.

ja43mngcf8e0.jpeg

Maybe you could make your own bak chang if you can remember how to do it. I want to learn, as I have a feeling a full English breakfast version could be good.

The pies are the best thing about McD, I think! In the last 6 months they have done Oreo, strawberry and custard, blueberry and cream cheese, chocolate and banana and the two I mentioned above. When I was in Singapore in October for a conference I tried the strawberry and white chocolate version.

• KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    edited July 12
    Love a Full English, also called A Fry-Up, though there can be a few variations due to personal tastes.

Sure you got:
    Fried Egg; Sausage; Baked Beans; Bacon, fried or prefer grilled; Scrambled Egg; Poached Egg; Hash Browns, prefer grilled; Fried Onion; Fried Mushrooms; Tomatoes typically fried but not necessarily; and the, (I am sure I am mispronouncing this), pierce de resistance... BLACK PUDDING.

I don't like mushrooms or tomatoes and I give them a very wide berth, but the addition of pepper I did find most agreeable, I don't think it matters which colour pepper.
    I think I have also had beetroot, cooked not pickled, though if there was no other choice.
    Like I said, you get variations.

The main ingredients for Black Pudding are pig's blood and fat but can also have: onions, herbs, spices, egg yolk, meat, oats or barley.
    They are said to be very good for you, not just because of the ingredients but also the high iron content in the blood.
    I don't know what I was eating, I just knew I would have it again, unfortunately I only get to have it in a hotel breakfast.

They taste like sausage and are very tasty, the blood has been reduced down to a gloop so it binds it all together.
    There are regional varieties in Britain, but also on the Continent such as French and others I believe.

I read there are other Blood Sausages such as ti-hoeh-koe from Taiwan, can you get these in Singapore and has anyone had them???

Interestingly and most bizarrely, Black Pudding is banned in the USA for, and I kid you not, "Sanitary reasons".
    Considering what Americans do to their food, or even just to grow it, (Round-Up), and the gun availability and the national proclivity of going postal, but Black Pudding is banned because it's... Unclean???

Pigs have been a staple food here for centuries because so much of it can be eaten, I have heard of "Pig's Ears".
    I don't know what they do though as I am not a big pork eater, I even cut the fat off bacon; but mixed into Black Pudding I don't experience its texture but I get the taste, similar too Haslet, which is a very nice cold sliced meat.

A Full English Breakfast is a guaranteed hangover cure, but someone has to get up and cook it first.
  • 168sean168
    3720 posts Member
    edited July 12
    @gypsymacgyver , looks good! Fillings a lot. My favourite Bakchang is the nyonya one. It has a nice sweetness to it. If you ever visit MCD in Singapore again, I recommend the crispy chicken burger. It is my favourite, possibly due to two slices of pineapple in it.

Below is a collection of food I ate in the past week. All are considered street food, bought either from a hawker centre or a coffeeshop, prices range between 4 to 7 SGD. One of them is more like a snack and is 2 SGD

DSNcqmg.jpg
    Kway Chap. Generally a collection of pig organs. @KLmaker , in this dish long long time ago, pig blood cubes and pig ear, tongue, nose can also be added into the assortment. But pig blood cubes has been banned. The rest of the ingredients are also uncommon now. The most common ingredient given now are small intestine, pig skin, pork belly meat.

mUlCa0O.jpg
    Tom Yum seafood. Thai style. I generally like sour and spicy stuff. But I know of people that hate this combination.

dnkY5wJ.jpg
    Prawn noodle. I like my prawn soup to be intense.

ET5dSLQ.jpg
    Roasted duck rice and pork belly rice.

WLwsCqB.jpg
    Thai pineapple fried rice. Is food with pineapple considered weird to most people? Over here most like it.

d1v1GjL.jpg
    Thai Basil leaves minced meat. I chose pork as it is cheaper than the beef. Also got chicken option.

GRRrMv1.jpg
    Minced Meat Kway Tiao soup

T87B2A0.jpg
    Thai Green Curry.

cQKCNxu.jpg
    Nasi Lemak set. This one comes with potato ball and Otah (spicy fish paste bbq in banana leaves)

azqARmi.jpg
    Chee Cheong Fun. This one I eat as a snack. Popular breakfast food.

PfccbDh.jpg
    Liang Tofu. Assortment of Tofu products. This is by a successful franchise here, Gao Ji.
  • KLmaker
    1133 posts Member
    edited July 12
    @168sean168
    Now I'm feeling hungry.
    Apart from the pork obviously as I don't tend to eat it, they all look really tasty, I would be spoilt for choice.

I forgot to say in previous post, (just added it), a Full English Breakfast is a guaranteed hangover cure, but someone has to get up and cook it first.