EA Forums - Banner

OT : going to New York for the first time

Prev134
Just got back from Florida, any idea what area you would be thinking of going to? e.g near the theme parks?

Replies

• Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    Going with family (they've never been to the states either) and they are dying to go to Disneyland. But is it worth it? I hear six flags is better?

Of course Florida there's the Everglades and Miami.

Other ideas are to go see Washington, D.C. Or go to Georgia instead.

• amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013
    Both Florida and New York are large states. I assume you mean New York City. Lots of tourist places there but make sure you don't miss the museum of natural history.

As for Florida it depends where you will be... Miami, Orlando, ft lauderdale, * Augustine, etc. as well as if you will be renting a car down here. While ny city has good mass transit it is much lacking in Florida.
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:
    Both Florida and New York are large states. I assume you mean New York City. Lots of tourist places there but make sure you don't miss the museum of natural history.

As for Florida it depends where you will be... Miami, Orlando, ft lauderdale, * Augustine, etc. as well as if you will be renting a car down here. While ny city has good mass transit it is much lacking in Florida.

Yep. I did mean New York City.

And I guess Orlando since Disneyland is there. But not sure if I want to go to Disneyland.
  • Shadiest_one
    607 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:

And I guess Orlando since Disneyland is there. But not sure if I want to go to Disneyland.
    Its actually DisneyWorld :P
  • chrisp530
    2611 posts
    edited August 2013
    Go to Disney World. It's amazing. Florida sucks, but it's worth it for Disney World.

As for NY.... Well I'm there, so what else do you need to know? Of course it's a great state :)

New York City is.... Unbelievable. There is no where else like it in the world.. Everyone has to go at least once. There's so much to do, family things, tourist things, the best food in the world, amazing night life, it has it all. Although, it can be intimidating at first, I'm sure your family would love it.

DC is cool too, so much history and stuff to see. You can't go wrong there either. I've only been to Atlanta once, so don't know much about Georgia. But it was nice from what I remember.
  • VxMarmitex9
    956 posts
    edited August 2013
    Going with family (they've never been to the states either) and they are dying to go to Disneyland. But is it worth it? I hear six flags is better?

Disneyworld is superb, Six Flags doesn't appeal to me quite as much as it has large emphasis on huge roller coasters, which is something i'm not that bothered about! Disney and Universal make rides which you are so good and you can't really get anywhere else! Such as shows, simulators and rides containing amazing special effects. So I suppose it comes down to what rides you like the most in terms of theme parks! Air Boat rides on Boggy Creek, Kennedy Space Center and the Old Town Kissimmee Car Rally are all quality and well worth checking out! If you are a massive roller coaster fan, id check out Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure as well as they are only about 15 miles from Disney parks!
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013

Seen one swamp you've seen them all. Take an airboat ride if you have time though and eat some gator.
    Cape canaveral is worth a trip.
    Disney is over rated but Epcot and sea world are worth it. Universal studios might be doing Halloween horror when you are here and that's kinda cool.

Dc... Eh. The smithsonian is worth seeing but not much else unless you are into war history. Seen one big white building behind a fence you've seen them all. Seen one big statue of a guy sitting down you've seen them all.

Stone mountain in Georgia is about all I can think of there. Atlanta is kinda a hole besides the coke a cola plant and the drug paraphernalia at five points.
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:

my apologies.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts
    edited August 2013

That'd be a far trip.. Disney Land is in California, Disney WORLD is in Florida (Orlando). DW has lots of free buses if you stay on property to all the theme parks and what not. Even transportation to/from the airport. You can also rent cars from some of the resorts as well if you want to go see other places outside of Disney.

New York... well if you like video games, you can see the 1-and-only Nintendo Store. There's also the Cake Boss' bakery, and if you want can try to get tickets to go on Jimmy Fallon or something too.
  • Shadiest_one
    607 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:

my apologies.
    No worries, I was only razzing you
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013
    Ha.. I said Disney land as well and I live down here.
  • jenniferbusc
    2392 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Darien Lake can not compete with DW. Stay around city don't come close to buffalo! Lol unless u coming to see me... Jk.. I can't really remember Florida moved away to young. So hit up beaches and DW and shopping in city!
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    ok lots of food for thought here.

to summarize crudely,

so florida not great except for disneyworld. disneyworld itself is great.

new york city = awesome

georgia - big question mark

washinton dc - boring??

• amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013
    Six flags can not compete with DL. Stay around city don't come close to buffalo! Lol unless u coming to see me... Jk.. I can't really remember Florida moved away to young. So hit up beaches and DL!

Ah buffalo. Good chicken wings and I liked the loganberry slushies. That and snow are about all I remember from my train hopping days.
  • VxMarmitex9
    956 posts
    edited August 2013

to summarize crudely,

new york city = awesome

washinton dc - boring??

Even if its for one day, you must check out Universal, in my opinion its better than DL. :P
  • jenniferbusc
    2392 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:
    Six flags can not compete with DL. Stay around city don't come close to buffalo! Lol unless u coming to see me... Jk.. I can't really remember Florida moved away to young. So hit up beaches and DL!

Ah buffalo. Good chicken wings and I liked the loganberry slushies. That and snow are about all I remember from my train hopping days.
    I hate snow!!! But yes to rest !
  • Skyrim-mrp
    3684 posts
    edited August 2013
    Hi all

Planning on visiting the states at the end of September/early october for about 2 weeks. Going to New York and maybe one other place. Maybe Florida.

It will be my first time ever visiting the states. Looking forward to it. Any ideas on what I should see other than the obvious tourist destinations?
    owww luck! I wish I could afford to America instead I'm stuck in bumtown! :lol:
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013

to summarize crudely,

new york city = awesome

washinton dc - boring??

Even if its for one day, you must check out Universal, in my opinion its better than DL. :P

Pretty much. Cape canaveral is a ( relatively ) short drive from Orlando and * Augustine has the old pirate fort and some cool historical stuff.

Yeah... Dc is pretty dull but for history and museums.

I would say Georgia isn't even a ?. Just rent the movie deliverance and consider it visited lol

Sometimes I still miss living in NYC but I had to laugh when it was hotter up there this year than down here in fl
  • chrisp530
    2611 posts
    edited August 2013
    amuck10 wrote:

Train hopping? Kerouac style adventure?
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013
    Now why did the * out *. Augustine?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!