EA Forums - Banner

What did you first surf on?

Think the first PC I owned that I connected to the net was a 486DX2 66Mhz. Wasnt my first PC, think it was my 4th. Don't really remember the first time I logged onto the net, guess it would have been on a Unix machine at College.

Replies

• mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Some sort of pentium, I guess :?
  • jwlizard76
    851 posts
    edited August 2013
    A windsail that I promptly crashed into a coral reef and scarred the hell out of my back that I got a huge tattoo to cover... Oh god, the memories are flooding back! The pain, the shame, the trauma, the drama :mrgreen:

How cathartic.
  • brewdog79
    468 posts
    edited August 2013
    I think I went online at home (1997) right around the time I upgraded from a 486 DX/33 to a K6-2 300.
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited August 2013
    You left out a number of options like the Amiga, the tsr-80, the original portable computer " which was just a tower with a built in keyboard, a 2" monochrome screen, and a leather strap riveted to the top".
    Also... Do you mean " the web" exclusively? Ie no old style direct dial up peer to peer where you entered the actual phone number?

I don't remember but it might have used vacuum tubes....
  • Tbone2020
    21 posts New member
    edited August 2013
    First computer that I could access the internet was a pentium I 75 mhz with 14.4 modem. I got it for high school graduation in the mid 90's with, you guessed it, aol. Back then I paid $5 an HOUR.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    I remember using the computers in college to talk to friends at other colleges in 1988. I don't think the Internet was around yet, it was an educational network.
  • Pixxxa
    429 posts
    edited August 2013
    My first personal web surfing PC was an Apple... Apple Performa 6200 Desktop. I'd used earlier models at work, and also had a PC with windows 2 at the time for databases, spreadsheets and writing,

Lately I've been drooling over the Mac Pro desktop that will be hitting the shelves soon... Have you seen that work of art yet??? Stunning!
    Edit: can't vote btw, no option covers my answer lol...
    Edit 2: Voted! Thanks
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • rwvolture
    1259 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Apple 2 in school
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited August 2013
    Cool Spot on the Sega Megadrive.

cool-spot.png

:wink:
  • jtgroth
    372 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Apple II + with 300 baud modem. Pretty much only had CompuServe and a few odd bulletin boards.
  • DahnnnY1
    653 posts
    edited August 2013
    sherryt07 wrote:
    I remember using the computers in college to talk to friends at other colleges in 1988. I don't think the Internet was around yet, it was an educational network.
    the internet was on the air before 1988 8)
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    DahnnnY1 wrote:
    sherryt07 wrote:
    the internet was on the air before 1988 8)

Really. I don't remember anyone at home accessing the web at that time. In fact, wiki has the web being developed between 1989-1990. Maybe I used the wrong terms.
  • datasurgeon
    1878 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    yes the Internet was around before 1988 but it ws a link between the Dept of Defense, Contracts and universities It was called ARPANET. Email was proposed in 1973.

I can claim Commodore 64 but It was to BBS and AOL, First access to Internet was when AOL open it (WoW 3 hours a month for what I pay for broadband now
  • Nightmare3102
    592 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    First one I used on the internet was an RM Nimbus in high school. Although I don't remember the spec of them. That was back in about 94 type time I believe. Although I didn't use the internet til around 96 when I school got it.

Ah the good ol' days of a 56k modem dialling up with that horrible noise. Then a webpage taking about 4 years to load up lol
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.