EA Forums - Banner

Mystery Box = Cr*p Box

Prev1
- Lemon Tree: Does not exist, only hackers have it.

- Donuts, Squeaky Voice Teen, Homer Buddha, Tire Fire, Lard Lad Donuts: LIES, they can not be obtained from the Cr*p Box.

P.S.: I'm joking about renaming the box, it was sarcasm (if you didn't notice).

Is the part about the Lemon Tree only being used by hackers sarcasm as well? As that really is not the case.

I've won the Lemon Tree & 30 donuts from the Misery Box, I think misery box is a better name than crap box, but hope your rant made you feel better! ;-)

Replies

• wsjm1984
    200 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    The lemon tree does come e entually, took me around 7 months to get it tho. I did get the SVT in a Mystery Box as well, before the Lemon Tree.

The real problem is Homer Budhha's giving out a Mystery Box as a prize. This should be changed!
  • datasurgeon
    1878 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    I didn't realize money was so rare but I have gotten money at least 3 times $250, $100 2x). I have gotten everything on the list except tire fire, lard lad, Gazebo, Angel Topiary.

Actually, I have played many MMO, This free game is above average in freebiew
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts New member
    edited August 2013
    Or EA could make some changes, increase the odds slightly of getting something premium, perhaps give out some former limited items, atleast decorations, or even give out more items that cannot be obtained by other means than the boxes, like the Lemon Tree. I have written a lenghty post about this topic before (though I'm hardly the only one), but I can include the link to that thread here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9532351.page

But OP you are correct, as is, the mystery box is pretty useless, atleast for higher level players (which actually is the playergroup EA want to give incetives to keep playing, the mystery box is a prize for playing daily after all). Though I don't think EA has this high on their priority list, sadly...
  • Acolyte_Strife
    44 posts
    edited August 2013
    GSFaerie wrote:
    Is the part about the Lemon Tree only being used by hackers sarcasm as well? As that really is not the case.

I've won the Lemon Tree & 30 donuts from the Misery Box, I think misery box is a better name than crap box, but hope your rant made you feel better! ;-)

It was sarcasm, I surely didn't mean to imply anyone who has the Lemon Tree is a hacker. I'm just slightly frustrated that I haven't gotten it after playing so long, even though the wiki claims it has a "10%" drop rate. Agreed, Misery Box is a superbly better name :) It's ok, I don't mind that much just felt like complaining a bit :D
    wsjm1984 wrote:
    The lemon tree does come e entually, took me around 7 months to get it tho. I did get the SVT in a Mystery Box as well, before the Lemon Tree.

The real problem is Homer Budhha's giving out a Mystery Box as a prize. This should be changed!

Thanks for the support. Yeah, I suppose the Mystery Box is the dud prize from the Homer Budhha's. I certainly wouldn't invest in Homer Budhha's as they stand now.
    I didn't realize money was so rare but I have gotten money at least 3 times $250, $100 2x). I have gotten everything on the list except tire fire, lard lad, Gazebo, Angel Topiary.

Actually, I have played many MMO, This free game is above average in freebiew

I agree that it's a pretty good game for a free-to-play game, above most. I do lament the high prices for premium content and the low availabilty of attaining them without purchasing them with real money, although this might just be a problem with most free-to-play games IMO. They must be making quite some money, seeing as how a lot of people seem to spend a lot on donuts, so why not give a little back by making getting premium content or donuts easier. That way the game would be more fun and more people would play it, increasing revenue if done correctly. I think that's were most freemium games go wrong, by treating them too much like cashcows and sucking all the fun out of the game making them fail eventually. It's finely balancing the fun part with the premium content, that makes the free-to-play model succesful. A good example of such balance would be League of Legends.

I'm seem to get money fairly sparsely, though the low amounts don't really make me care much either. I honestly do get those three items 90% of the time.
    Or EA could make some changes, increase the odds slightly of getting something premium, perhaps give out some former limited items, atleast decorations, or even give out more items that cannot be obtained by other means than the boxes, like the Lemon Tree. I have written a lenghty post about this topic before (though I'm hardly the only one), but I can include the link to that thread here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9532351.page

But OP you are correct, as is, the mystery box is pretty useless, atleast for higher level players (which actually is the playergroup EA want to give incetives to keep playing, the mystery box is a prize for playing daily after all). Though I don't think EA has this high on their priority list, sadly...

Yeah, I agree with you completely. I didn't think I would the first to complain, I just felt like it :) I'll read your thread, I'm intrested in your thoughts about it thanks ;)
  • Acolyte_Strife
    44 posts
    edited August 2013

After reading it I must say you do make a good point, and I agree completely with your findings. Upgrading even just the standard prices (excluding any premium content or the Lemon Tree) would make a huge difference IMO; especially for higher level players, for whom the prices get more and more ridiculous as they process further. Perhaps scaling the prices the Mystery Box gives out depending on the player's level would help. Again I'm fully aware nothing will change because of this discussion, but I do like the thought experiment :)
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts New member
    edited August 2013
    For what it's worth, I agree with you on this Acolyte_Strife, though since I have absolutely no ties to EA, I don't suppose that means all that much :)
  • Acolyte_Strife
    44 posts
    edited August 2013
    For what it's worth, I agree with you on this Acolyte_Strife, though since I have absolutely no ties to EA, I don't suppose that means all that much :)

I appreciate the feedback, support and general camaraderie none the less :)
  • homersimpleton
    71 posts
    edited August 2013
    Here's a thing that works, and it probably only works on phones, for obvious reasons. It also requires a lot of patience and some abuse of your device, but here goes:

On your fifth day, you get the mystery box prompt. At this point, I pry the cover off my phone and have my hand on the battery. I click the mystery box to see what I get. If it's something I don't want, I pull the battery out immediately (before the game can save), reboot, and try it again, until I get something good. I haven't got any premium stuff, just because I gave up after about an hour (and just settled on a bonus bearer like bench w/sweater or white picket fences), but if you've got determination, you might get something good.

This also works for the bonus "pick a gift box for 1, 2, or 3 donuts"... if you only pick the 1 donut, pull out the battery quickly and try again.
  • vixoovee
    380 posts
    edited August 2013
    I started playing around Valentine's Day and did get some nice stuff in the early days ... the Lemmon Tree, SVT and 30 donuts once. And that was it . It's been like forever I only get parking lots, trees and newspaper dispensers. Yesterday I got 5 fences, not even the white ones!

I really think EA needs to improve the mystery box. Why not throw in more donut prizes, like the cute flower planter, the green dumpster, apple trees, orange trees etc ?? Stuff like the funzos, SLH, Squid Port performers, limos, news vans, nukes etc could be the better prizes and the grand prizes could be content from the past, like the baloons, Shauna, skins, the Formula 1 Duff car to name a few. Even if our chance of getting them would be like 0,000000000000001 % would be cool to have something to look forward to !

I don't see how this could hurt EA's business. It would be a nice incentive to loyal players and even in the worst-case, we would be getting an item adding multipliers to our towns, unlike a crappy parking lot.
  • grannybern14
    385 posts
    edited August 2013
    In the beginning I was excited to open the misery box every week. I did get the lemon tree, SVT and 10 donuts once. Now that I have 50 parking lots, I open the box just because its there. Some other prizes would be nice. It doesn't have to be something great, a fruit tree would be a nice change. No way I'll ever buy a Homer Buddha.
  • alexgravener
    88 posts
    edited August 2013
    This kind of post always annoys me because the OP always feels like they're entitled to amazing prizes and doughnuts. You're not. The mystery box isn't by any means yours by right, it's a gift from EA; if they wanted they could be like every other free to play game out there and make their premium currency only obtainable by spending real life money. But they haven't.
    In this game, you get doughnuts for leveling up, leveling bonus levels (which most other free to plays don't have), clearing trash, the Sideshow You game, the Mystery Box, Homer Buddha and occasionally, yes very occasionally, they give you them just because. That's right, EA GIVE AWAY DOUGHNUTS.
    It will take some time but I've been playing near daily since February and I have amassed 51 doughnuts. Granted that isn't enough to buy any of the premium items I want but if I hadn't spent any at the start on Mystery Boxes (because I didn't know how bad the prizes were) and hadn't accidentally sped anything up, I'd probably be on around 90ish which still isn't loads but it's SO MUCH MORE than you'd get for free in any other free to play.

Thank you EA.
  • TwiztidThorn
    2686 posts
    edited August 2013
    This kind of post always annoys me because the OP always feels like they're entitled to amazing prizes and doughnuts. You're not. The mystery box isn't by any means yours by right, it's a gift from EA; if they wanted they could be like every other free to play game out there and make their premium currency only obtainable by spending real life money. But they haven't.
    In this game, you get doughnuts for leveling up, leveling bonus levels (which most other free to plays don't have), clearing trash, the Sideshow You game, the Mystery Box, Homer Buddha and occasionally, yes very occasionally, they give you them just because. That's right, EA GIVE AWAY DOUGHNUTS.
    It will take some time but I've been playing near daily since February and I have amassed 51 doughnuts. Granted that isn't enough to buy any of the premium items I want but if I hadn't spent any at the start on Mystery Boxes (because I didn't know how bad the prizes were) and hadn't accidentally sped anything up, I'd probably be on around 90ish which still isn't loads but it's SO MUCH MORE than you'd get for free in any other free to play.

Thank you EA.
    You should get a few donuts for having a refreshingly positive attitude.
  • Bart-man5674
    1633 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    I would read this but I get what you mean ill save it o put me to sleep :D
    It's just a game
  • Scrambles25
    98 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    This kind of post always annoys me because the OP always feels like they're entitled to amazing prizes and doughnuts. You're not. (stuff snipped)
    Thank you EA.

I agree people whine for the sake of whining sometimes, but the mystery box is actually not just a freebie we should be thankful to EA for giving us every 5 days. They make a profit selling them, and anybody who buys them gets garbage for their money.

I'm impressed with the number of improvements which have been unveiled in Tapped Out since I started playing, and have put a lot of real money into supporting them (around $200 so far), but I don't feel like any of the donut offers are anything remotely close to a good value to people buying them, and the Mystery Box is just another reminder on where the company's main motivation really is.
  • cjryder625
    1426 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Not true. I also play Ice Age Village with my grandchildren. I'm on the top level and have been able to purchase all the premium items by winning acorns in game, by watching adverts or by visiting neighbours as well as for levelling up oh and the Scrat game can pay out loads of acorns. Plenty of people still spend money but it isn't necessary even to get premium items. When they have an offer sometimes the premium items are cut in price by half or even more for a day. It does mean you have to pay full price for the babies but at least it gets you started and encourages people to spend real money completing the families.
    I love my computer...all my friends live in it
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    This kind of post always annoys me because the OP always feels like they're entitled to amazing prizes and doughnuts. You're not. (stuff snipped)
    Thank you EA.

I agree people whine for the sake of whining sometimes, but the mystery box is actually not just a freebie we should be thankful to EA for giving us every 5 days. They make a profit selling them, and anybody who buys them gets garbage for their money.

I'm impressed with the number of improvements which have been unveiled in Tapped Out since I started playing, and have put a lot of real money into supporting them (around $200 so far), but I don't feel like any of the donut offers are anything remotely close to a good value to people buying them, and the Mystery Box is just another reminder on where the company's main motivation really is.
    +1 :mrgreen: A daily reward had to e better than the day before, otherwise the systems faulty, and I could probably count on one hand the times the MB has been better than day 4 for. Me.
  • toddpygensky
    583 posts
    edited August 2013
    EA is neither the worst or the best with rewarding the player, but as far as Mystery Box prizes/daily play rewards, they are quite stingy. They tend to make up for it with some of the give aways they have had, like Christmas time.

To the player who commented that everyone should be thankful EA gives us a Mystery Box at all, that's garbage. All Freemium games have an incentive for daily play, why should Tapped Out be any different?
  • HsueEEE
    233 posts
    edited August 2013
    not a hacker here...

have received 2 x 30 donuts, the the lemon tree, and a few donut items such as white fence...

after getting the donuts in a row, i been getting either the 250 cash or the brown fence for the past 3-4 months :(
  • rickrolldaboss
    15 posts
    edited August 2013
    It took me around 20 back to back Mystery Box purchases before I obtained the Lemon Tree. Most of the time I get Newspaper Dispensers or the premium benches (which is pretty awesome IMO). I have received 10/30 donuts every so often, which is also very nice.
  • GSFaerie
    290 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    GSFaerie wrote:

It was sarcasm, I surely didn't mean to imply anyone who has the Lemon Tree is a hacker. I'm just slightly frustrated that I haven't gotten it after playing so long, even though the wiki claims it has a "10%" drop rate. Agreed, Misery Box is a superbly better name :) It's ok, I don't mind that much just felt like complaining a bit :D

Just checking as things can be misread on here! I've been accused of being a hacker before when my Krustyland merged with my Springfield, so wanted to check you didn't think that was the case! :-)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.