EA Forums - Banner

New log on problem-Verification codes

Replies

• When you signed up you agreed to be searchable by email. (Start a new town and see for yourself.) Some of us didn’t pay attention and now we suffer. EA did warn everyone, we just ignored the warning. We have no one to blame but ourselves. The new sign on will keep your email current despite yourself.
  • bluntcard
    3965 posts Member
    wadebear wrote: »
    The ability to produce donuts - even in the large quantities I'm capable of - are an inducement to keep people playing. The more people who play this game the longer it lives.

This is unfortunately not the case. People playing the game who no longer need to purchase, are using up space on servers that cost money to maintain. So, the more non paying players, the less revenue EA makes, their bottom line drops and shortens the life of a game when it is no longer profitable.

Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • bluntcard wrote: »
    The ability to produce donuts - even in the large quantities I'm capable of - are an inducement to keep people playing. The more people who play this game the longer it lives.

This is unfortunately not the case. People playing the game who no longer need to purchase, are using up space on servers that cost money to maintain. So, the more non paying players, the less revenue EA makes, their bottom line drops and shortens the life of a game when it is no longer profitable.

Hi!

The only space that each town - even a huge one - takes up on the ea server is (I'm pretty sure) a few megabytes.

A text list (in whatever code ea employs) of stuff like what I own, where it goes on my town grid, and what direction to face it, plus what my characters are doing.

Just a bunch of lines of text. The difference in file size (on the ea server) between a huge town and a small town is akin to the difference in file size between a word document with a single paragraph and a word document ten pages long.

Then each time I load my town, ea synchronizes that list with any new changes I've made. The graphics are stored on MY device (the ones that were there when I left my town in my latest session.)

An EA server only hosts a single set of the graphics that we all draw from.

Their server is impacted by my town each time I "sync"... Move from the neighbor screen to town, for instance. Each time I do that, their server scans my list and matches it to what I've already downloaded.

It's like amazon. They have one copy of, say, the Godfather. When I want to read the book, (assuming I own it) I find it in my library and click. If it's "on device" that means that in the past I've loaded a copy of their book file onto my device. Otherwise, it's in my "all" list and it downloads a copy of amazon's file from amazon to my device.

My TSTO main town is huge. The file size on my device is huge, since I have my copy of ea's image.

Does that make sense?

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that's how this works.

(Waits for someone who understands how computer stuff actually works, to stop laughing hysterically at my naif-ness.)

😁😁

USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • bluntcard wrote: »

Hi!

The only space that each town - even a huge one - takes up on the ea server is (I'm pretty sure) a few megabytes.

A text list (in whatever code ea employs) of stuff like what I own, where it goes on my town grid, and what direction to face it, plus what my characters are doing.

Just a bunch of lines of text. The difference in file size (on the ea server) between a huge town and a small town is akin to the difference in file size between a word document with a single paragraph and a word document ten pages long.

Then each time I load my town, ea synchronizes that list with any new changes I've made. The graphics are stored on MY device (the ones that were there when I left my town in my latest session.)

An EA server only hosts a single set of the graphics that we all draw from.

Their server is impacted by my town each time I "sync"... Move from the neighbor screen to town, for instance. Each time I do that, their server scans my list and matches it to what I've already downloaded.

It's like amazon. They have one copy of, say, the Godfather. When I want to read the book, (assuming I own it) I find it in my library and click. If it's "on device" that means that in the past I've loaded a copy of their book file onto my device. Otherwise, it's in my "all" list and it downloads a copy of amazon's file from amazon to my device.

My TSTO main town is huge. The file size on my device is huge, since I have my copy of ea's image.

Does that make sense?

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that's how this works.

(Waits for someone who understands how computer stuff actually works, to stop laughing hysterically at my naif-ness.)

😁😁

Yesish. All graphics are always on your device. Just the "text", as you said, is sent/received. The "text" will, of course, be all the values for the town and characters. Your device dynamically draws the town based these values.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa – I only accept cash, bitcoin, or GameStop stock.
  • wadebear
    4183 posts Member
    When you signed up you agreed to be searchable by email. (Start a new town and see for yourself.) Some of us didn’t pay attention and now we suffer. EA did warn everyone, we just ignored the warning. We have no one to blame but ourselves. The new sign on will keep your email current despite yourself.
    You have absolutely no concept of how the business model for these games work. I do.
    EA only expects a tiny portion of the players to be "whales", spending large amounts of money on the game.
    They expect a slightly larger number to be "dolphins", occasionally spending large sums.
    A larger percentage will spend smaller amounts occasionally.
    'Guppies' will only buy the smallest packages and Golden Scratchers.
    The largest number of players won't spend any money at all. But those players keep other players playing - who wants to play a game that nobody else plays?
    I have also played the game with "The Guy with a Family". I quit because I could only make a dribble of Clams - it took me months to collect up enough for a single character.
    Then there's the game with the Rama in the Future. Again, not enough free Pizza, so I quit.
    Actually... I quit Tapped Out for a while because I was too dumb to listen the all the people telling me to invest my donuts into buying Burns Mystery Boxes to raise my Multiplier. Work for weeks to collect just enough to buy 1 character then be broke, repeat, repeat, repeat. When I came back and spent my donuts on BMBs and saw how much just enough for a couple of characters raised my multiplier I came back - otherwise I wouldn't be here contradicting you now.
  • wadebear wrote: »
    When you signed up you agreed to be searchable by email. (Start a new town and see for yourself.) Some of us didn’t pay attention and now we suffer. EA did warn everyone, we just ignored the warning. We have no one to blame but ourselves. The new sign on will keep your email current despite yourself.
    You have absolutely no concept of how the business model for these games work. I do.
    EA only expects a tiny portion of the players to be "whales", spending large amounts of money on the game.
    They expect a slightly larger number to be "dolphins", occasionally spending large sums.
    The largest number of players won't spend any money at all. But those players keep other players playing - who wants to play a game that nobody else plays?
    I have also played the game with "The Guy with a Family". I quit because I could only make a dribble of Clams - it took me months to collect up enough for a single character.
    Then there's the game with the Rama in the Future. Again, not enough free Pizza, so I quit.
    Actually... I quit Tapped Out for a while because I was too dumb to listen the all the people telling me to invest my donuts into buying Burns Mystery Boxes to raise my Multiplier. Work for weeks to collect just enough to buy 1 character then be broke, repeat, repeat, repeat. When I came back and spent my donuts on BMBs and saw how much just enough for a couple of characters raised my multiplier I came back - otherwise I wouldn't be here contradicting you now.

I wasn’t talking about players and their spending habits.
    When you submit an email address to be used for your login requirements, you are flat out told that you are right then and there agreeing to keep that email address active. If you fail to do so you are in violation of the TOS. And if they decide to make you retrieve a code from that email to continue playing they can. It is not EA’s fault that you didn’t keep your email address active.
    Yes they fumbled the ball when they started this whole code thing. Their failure to warn us about the rollout is like you forgetting to turn on the oven when baking a cake. It isn’t the fault of the cake mix manufacturer when you end up with a pan of slop. They didn’t forget to turn on the oven, you did. You could still bake the cake, but it will take added time and the results may be less than appetizing, possibility inedible. Their responsibility ends when they send the code. If you can’t receive it, YOU are to blame. The way they handled the rollout is less than optimal. (Some would say way less). But in the end, you didn’t keep up your end of the bargain. They fumbled it but you ran it back to the wrong end zone, fumbled it, and let them recover it. Your dead email address is not their fault.
    I lost three towns because I failed to keep their email accounts active. And all that takes is to send an email to each account from the other. Takes maybe five minutes. But you have to keep them active or the provider shuts them down. And they have varying rules on reactivation, mostly “you can not reactivate, ever!”
    If an automobile manufacturer tells you that you have to agree to turn the steering wheel to stay on the road, and you go over a cliff because you came to a curve in the road and didn’t turn the steering wheel, it ain’t their fault.
  • I have now deleted app off my phone after playing for about 9 years, had over 1000 donuts, ‘chatted’ to EA trying to resolve on 3 occasions requested Manager/Supervisor and sent numerous requests for telephone call, eventually gave and deleted app
  • By the was my user I’d was suebishop54 not uzqnqmw5fps8…….this I’d appeared after initially deleting app and trying to reinstall to fix problem
  • Has there been any update from EA on this? Like others, I've tried all the fixes EA recommended and nothing works. No code is being sent to my email which I verified. I even changed the email and the password to see if that would fix it and had no luck. Uninstalled/re-installed and no luck. Waited for the email to be sent (almost 24 hours) and no luck. It's now going on 2 weeks since I've been able to access the app and it would be nice to have EA issue an update. As a side note, if they don't fix this and I can't get back into my account in TSTO, is EA going to refund me the price of the unused donuts I purchased (almost 2000)? EA keeps saying to be patient and that they're working on it but when does patience run out?
  • garydunn34198
    1 posts New member
    edited July 4
    [email removed] please email me cannot get into my tapped out and did not receive any code
    Post edited by johncolombo on
  • 1MikeyM
    391 posts Member
    edited July 4
    [email removed] this is just a forum with fellow players of the game. Try EA answers or EA help on twitter or read through the thread here and try the proposed solutions. Good luck. [/email]
    Post edited by johncolombo on
  • One problem with this emailed code business is that many of us use the same email account on multiple devices (in my case, phone, tablet, and computer). If I were playing on my phone away from home and my computer happened to pull the email with the code before the phone pulled email, I would never see the email on the phone because Google would have marked it as "retrieved" (or something to that effect). It would have to wait until I got back to the email on my computer to get the code, at which point it would have almost certainly have expired.

Apple keeps nagging me to turn on two-factor authentication, but this email timing problem is exactly why I don't. Two-factor authentication is a black hole for people with multiple devices.
  • One problem with this emailed code business is that many of us use the same email account on multiple devices (in my case, phone, tablet, and computer). If I were playing on my phone away from home and my computer happened to pull the email with the code before the phone pulled email, I would never see the email on the phone because Google would have marked it as "retrieved" (or something to that effect). It would have to wait until I got back to the email on my computer to get the code, at which point it would have almost certainly have expired.

Apple keeps nagging me to turn on two-factor authentication, but this email timing problem is exactly why I don't. Two-factor authentication is a black hole for people with multiple devices.

The code shows up in all of your devices. Check your email on all three devices, one after the other. See how many of the emails you received are on all three devices. Each device should receive all of the same emails. Ones you read on one device should still show up as unread on the others. Sometimes the emails you have deleted on one device still shows up on the others.

Apple wants me to turn on two-factor authentication. I already have it on my phone, all it accomplishes is makes me hate it more. Every time I open the phone to answer a call, it times out.
  • What a hassle this is. 10 minutes later, 3 attempts to resend the code, no emails and I'm sat here waiting so I can play for 5 minutes.
  • Yup. Same here. EA is not sending emails to any of my accounts. So……this is it then?
  • What a hassle this is. 10 minutes later, 3 attempts to resend the code, no emails and I'm sat here waiting so I can play for 5 minutes.
    Yup. Same here. EA is not sending emails to any of my accounts. So……this is it then?

This is from page one. It works.
    After repeatedly going back and forth from email to the game I was ready to say unkind words to EA, then realized that I had to access email on a different device. If you try to flip back and forth, the code they send you won’t work.
    My bigger problem is I can’t get into one email account, I hadn’t accessed it in a while so the closed it. That town will probably die now.
    Yup. Same here. EA is not sending emails to any of my accounts. So……this is it then?

This is from page one. It works.
    After repeatedly going back and forth from email to the game I was ready to say unkind words to EA, then realized that I had to access email on a different device. If you try to flip back and forth, the code they send you won’t work.
    My bigger problem is I can’t get into one email account, I hadn’t accessed it in a while so the closed it. That town will probably die now.

Maybe it does. But wasn't the issue.

There just weren't any emails, on my phone nor when accessing through a browser. And then suddenly all of them arrived at once. 6 in total, it turns out. Requested over a 10 min period all with the same time stamp when they landed. Hopefully it was just a problem at that particular time and won't be going forward.

I also have the problem of the code being invalid the first time I input it, then valid the second time. Silly.
  • I still can't get a code or in at all.
    This is simply the WORST
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • alexmarti29
    6 posts New member
    I still cannot access either, same things as others. I login with my email, it says it sends a code but I never receive one. I get other EA emails (support tickets on this issue) without a problem, but never receive a code. Even tried the "backup codes" that are on my account page and those don't work either. It's been over a month since I could access the game, and there's no estimate on when it will be fixed?
  • wadebear wrote: »

I wasn’t talking about players and their spending habits.
    When you submit an email address to be used for your login requirements, you are flat out told that you are right then and there agreeing to keep that email address active. If you fail to do so you are in violation of the TOS. And if they decide to make you retrieve a code from that email to continue playing they can. It is not EA’s fault that you didn’t keep your email address active.
    Yes they fumbled the ball when they started this whole code thing. Their failure to warn us about the rollout is like you forgetting to turn on the oven when baking a cake. It isn’t the fault of the cake mix manufacturer when you end up with a pan of slop. They didn’t forget to turn on the oven, you did. You could still bake the cake, but it will take added time and the results may be less than appetizing, possibility inedible. Their responsibility ends when they send the code. If you can’t receive it, YOU are to blame. The way they handled the rollout is less than optimal. (Some would say way less). But in the end, you didn’t keep up your end of the bargain. They fumbled it but you ran it back to the wrong end zone, fumbled it, and let them recover it. Your dead email address is not their fault.
    I lost three towns because I failed to keep their email accounts active. And all that takes is to send an email to each account from the other. Takes maybe five minutes. But you have to keep them active or the provider shuts them down. And they have varying rules on reactivation, mostly “you can not reactivate, ever!”
    If an automobile manufacturer tells you that you have to agree to turn the steering wheel to stay on the road, and you go over a cliff because you came to a curve in the road and didn’t turn the steering wheel, it ain’t their fault.

Unfortunately, sometimes I can't keep an account "active".

I have many, many towns, many with totally phantom accounts. For THOSE, I totally accept the current consequences as being my own screw up. They were feeder towns I only activated during events. My "neighbors" could use those to collect event whatchamacallit materials. That's no longer a feature of tsto game format, so those are moot.

HOWEVER, two towns are in another category, IMHO. One active town used my Kaiser work email, which was deactivated when I left my job. Another active town was under my husband's school email which locked him out (and purged the contents) when he retired. Poof.

In the case of my Kaiser job, when I contacted EA to "attach"(?) My Account to a new email, I was told that was not possible. Probably misinformation, but that's what they said. They said that as long as my sign on email was consistent with my on-file password, there would be no problem. That was, indeed, what was happening, so I did not pursue further.

So when my husband retired, I assumed that policy was still in force. He retired in 2017, and things have been fine logging on all this time, until now.

Sorry. Long-winded!! Just sayin' ☺☺
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL