EA Forums - Banner

Out of date email address?

Prev1
Okay so I know that lots of you are in the same boat as me with a 8 year old game attached to a now defunct email.

I had managed to avoid the dreaded verification email debacle until today when I went to login and got the "confirm age" page followed by login with email verification.

So I finally bit the bullet and went to EA help to try to get my email changed, this is a summary of the dance they expect you to do just to play TSTO.

They will ask you to provide the following information:
  • Mayhem number
  • Origin I.D
  • Original email address
  • I.P address where you usually play
  • Last 4 digits of credit card registered on the account
  • Date of birth
  • Full Billing address on the account
  • Telephone number
  • History of at least 2 purchases including items, price and date against the account.

On my 1st attempt I was able to give them all of the information except the purchase history, although I don't believe that I have ever registered a credit card with them directly (all my TSTO purchases have been made through the Play Store), nor do I believe that I ever gave them my phone number.
    I offered to give them specific details about my town to help them identify me but that wasn't an available option, so that attempt ended in failure and a load of old guff about protecting the security of my account.

Second attempt, I chose the live chat option again, and again I provide them with all the personal information required and this time I offer them the Pony Slaystation I.D that is also linked to my EA Account and I was able to supply them with the names & dates of 2 EA games that I had purchased through the PS Store in lieu of purchase history. He submitted the request but again the computer said No!

When I enquired what more information I could provide to achieve the switch, I was presented with even more guff about account security along the lines of they can't even tell you what information you failed the test on.
    At this point I'm lost as to how to proceed, the "live chat" option is mysteriously no longer available to me, but they seem to require more information than I even know about myself & certainly more than I've ever provided them in the past.
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone in this situation has managed to successfully get their email changed, cos it feels to me like deliberate obstruction to weed out the old accounts that haven't paid in to the pot for a while.
    Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, if not this is looking like the end of the line for me.

[/list]

Replies

• Providing you weren't fully freemium and have at least bought scratchrs in the past your app store history should help find purchases and will probably have payment method stored too. Good luck
    You'll often find me on Brooders tapped-out.co.uk
  • I don’t have most of the information you tried to use. All they would have to do is undo the authentication for one day to give us an opportunity to get those towns up to snuff. The big boys always give you a warning that they are changing their policies, because they know not everyone is completely in compliance. And they really hate the negative comments they know they will get.
  • 1MikeyM
    385 posts Member
    Sorry to hear about that @TheRealTiminator . It's craziness.
  • @TheRealTiminator - have you ever needed to contact Help in the past ??
    If so do you think it would help if you gave them details of those previous cases to help prove it is really you ?? It's worth a try, I think. Good luck.
    Catch 22, you can get those by logging in to Help, but you'd be logged in to contact them and that obviously wasn't enough !?! Still worth giving it a try though.
  • Perhaps given the number of affected players EA should consider a temporary simplified account recovery option on your account log-in.
    I'd suggest it asks you to provide your dead email and password like the regular log in along with your Origin ID ( it's your game / screen name - I know one player wasn't sure ) and the game level.
    Once that's confirmed you can add a new email and that gets sent a verification code, but to prevent abuse it can only be used once per game, it takes 24 hours to implement the change and it sends an email alert to the original registered email giving the opportunity to block it if it was a hack attempt.
    I think that should be easy enough to implement and secure enough, especially if that email alert will reset the account and roll back any game changes even if it isn't seen straight away.
    Go on EA, let people play the game !!
  • *UPDATE *

I've just got off the phone with EA help (that's an oxymoron if ever I heard one), since they had removed the option of live chat from my account I was forced to use their premium rate (in the UK at least) phone line in a last desperate attempt to change my email address.

I went through the same personal details as before, gave them dates of game purchases on PSN, I tried to offer dates of in-game purchases for TSTO which the operator said weren't sufficient, they had to be actual game purchases. And the final result was that "the information you have provided is either insufficient or inaccurate to verify your account".
    I explained to him that this was now my 4th attempt and that I'd given him more information about myself than they had ever known, so if this was insufficient there was no way to recover the account and could he therefore close the account. This he refused on the grounds that he could not verify my identity, I suggested that he close the account on security grounds then as I was currently logged in to it on my account.ea.com and therefore if I was not the account owner then it must have been hacked.
    This was predictably met with the same intransigence as before, so I thanked him for his assistance and hung up before I said something I'd regret.

The upshot of all this is that it seems my time as an active TSTO player are now at an end, it's been a good run & I have no regrets, the money I've paid into the game over the years have given me 8 1/2 years of fun & frustration. Along the way I've acquired 50+ friends in-game and enjoyed some laughs & banter on here and Tapped Out Topix previously.

I can't get into my game at all, so if anyone out there is in my friends list, then thanks for your support, and any & every body who I've ever interacted with on here, to quote the great Douglas Adams.......

"So long, and thanks for all the fish".

😫👋
  • @TheRealTiminator 😨😨

Sniff 😢😢😞😞
  • 1EllieG7294
    2528 posts Member
    @TheRealTiminator I'm so sorry to hear this
  • niahunt
    318 posts Member
    @TheRealTiminator Aww wow, that is not good at all☹️.
  • joe444
    27 posts Member
    edited June 2
    What if this is deliberate? What if they want to show a drop off in numbers in order to justify game closure? It's a very old game that is only taking up much needed server space.

When it does happen, it will be announced here:
    https://www.ea.com/service-updates/r-z

Bon Voyage!
  • 1MikeyM
    385 posts Member
    @TheRealTiminator I'm really sorry to hear that. It's almost an impossible list to complete. I would be so aggrieved to be in your position.
  • That UK phone number is an insult too.
    It costs less for me to ring America or Australia than EA UK !?!
  • So many companies are worried about the appearance of being insecure, so they're racing to add "security" protections to their accounts. In this case, EA has totally screwed up the implementation. Why can't they just leave it alone!
  • Wow. What a dispiriting process to have to go through only to be unsuccessful in addressing what must be a relatively common scenario. Really sorry that the game has ended for you in this way @TheRealTiminator :/
  • mjc0117
    36 posts Member
    1-Graham-S wrote: »
    Perhaps given the number of affected players EA should consider a temporary simplified account recovery option on your account log-in.
    I'd suggest it asks you to provide your dead email and password like the regular log in along with your Origin ID ( it's your game / screen name - I know one player wasn't sure ) and the game level.
    Once that's confirmed you can add a new email and that gets sent a verification code, but to prevent abuse it can only be used once per game, it takes 24 hours to implement the change and it sends an email alert to the original registered email giving the opportunity to block it if it was a hack attempt.
    I think that should be easy enough to implement and secure enough, especially if that email alert will reset the account and roll back any game changes even if it isn't seen straight away.
    Go on EA, let people play the game !!

The one problem in all of this is that EA simply doesn’t care.
  • mjc0117
    36 posts Member
    *UPDATE *

I've just got off the phone with EA help (that's an oxymoron if ever I heard one), since they had removed the option of live chat from my account I was forced to use their premium rate (in the UK at least) phone line in a last desperate attempt to change my email address.

I went through the same personal details as before, gave them dates of game purchases on PSN, I tried to offer dates of in-game purchases for TSTO which the operator said weren't sufficient, they had to be actual game purchases. And the final result was that "the information you have provided is either insufficient or inaccurate to verify your account".
    I explained to him that this was now my 4th attempt and that I'd given him more information about myself than they had ever known, so if this was insufficient there was no way to recover the account and could he therefore close the account. This he refused on the grounds that he could not verify my identity, I suggested that he close the account on security grounds then as I was currently logged in to it on my account.ea.com and therefore if I was not the account owner then it must have been hacked.
    This was predictably met with the same intransigence as before, so I thanked him for his assistance and hung up before I said something I'd regret.

The upshot of all this is that it seems my time as an active TSTO player are now at an end, it's been a good run & I have no regrets, the money I've paid into the game over the years have given me 8 1/2 years of fun & frustration. Along the way I've acquired 50+ friends in-game and enjoyed some laughs & banter on here and Tapped Out Topix previously.

I can't get into my game at all, so if anyone out there is in my friends list, then thanks for your support, and any & every body who I've ever interacted with on here, to quote the great Douglas Adams.......

"So long, and thanks for all the fish".

😫👋

I, and my wife, are right there with you. It was a good run.
  • Thank you all for your kind words, I bit the bullet yesterday and went through the clear data/delete app process.

It's weird not seeing Homer on my home screen anymore, I keep thinking I've picked up the wife's phone by mistake.

I don't consider myself to be a conspiracy theorist but @joe444 makes a good point, some of the faq pages on EA help, instructing you how to reset your email were contradictory or just plain false, then while I was going through the process it felt deliberately obstructive, like removing the live chat option and the premium rate phone number.

I got the distinct impression that it was a service that they were obliged to offer but without any realistic chance of a successful outcome.

I could only guess at what motives they might have for locking people out of their old accounts, it makes no sense to me, I suppose if I was really paranoid I might be concerned now about the safety of all the extra information I gave them over the last week that they hadn't had previously.

I'm trying not to let this last experience sour the great days I had with the game over the years though.
    Some of my all time favourites were: Whacking day (the original event), Easter event - dropping eggs in friends towns, THOH- the one with the gremlins was my fave, The 1st clash of clones (the one with the 3 different castles), The Christmas event with the Elf cannon.
    Great times were had with all & those are the memories I'm choosing to take away with me, not corporate greed, and likewise sharing this space with all of you passionate people who care about the game rather than EA's indifference is what I'll treasure.
    Many thanks to you all, and Happy Tapping!

• I just went for a look on Answers and a banner popped up . . .
    " EA Help isn’t working right. "
    Sadly all too true, they really should help more players more often
  • I've been on the same merry-go-round on 4 different occasions. My experience is very similar, but during an hour-long phone session today, I managed to answer enough questions correctly (although mine were a little different than what others have posted) and got my email updated. HOWEVER, when I went to request a confirmation code to log into the actual game, none arrived in my email. The EA guy said there has been a glitch in the system and they are working on it...wish I would have known this BEFORE I spent 3 days seeking a code on my old email. I have not been able to log in yet, but thought this update might prove beneficial to some of you.
  • 1-Graham-S
    340 posts Member
    edited June 4
    Have any of you tried this as a possible solution to a dead email ??
    If you can use any of this to verify your account you should then be able to edit your email.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/ea-login-verification-information/#turn-on

a couple of excerpts that may be of interest

Go to your EA Account Security settings.
    Under Login Verification, click Turn On.
    We’ll send you a code via the method you choose right away. Use that code to activate Login Verification, and you’ll be all set.

and

When you use the app authenticator, you’ll get a code from the Google Authenticator app whenever you need it.
    Pick App Authenticator when you’re setting up Login Verification, then click Continue.