EA Forums - Banner

Do you know anyone who

Prev1
fluffling wrote:
Also do you think Halloween shouldn't be celebrated on TSTO because of the religious element? (again just wondering)
That would be pretty stupid imo. That would mean a lot of people missing out just because some people don't like it. The simpsons celebrate Halloween in the show, so I don't see why they wouldn't in the game too. Besides, if you're going to cut Halloween then would Christmas be cut too? Because that's based on religious beliefs even though a lot of people don't follow them

Replies

• reo3utd
    38 posts
    edited October 2013
    It should defo have been celebrated on here! Simpsons has a major halloween series in THOOH so they cant jsut ignore that in the game!

Add me reo19uk552
  • danejm
    91 posts
    edited October 2013
    Is Halloween even treated as a religious holiday notwithstanding hipster Wiccans? Round my parts it's treated as secular with the added bonus of sweet sweet candy. If they dropped Halloween as content I'd stop playing as it would kowtow to some crybaby who only wants to make a stink to feel self righteous and important. You take one thing out, take it all out. If you don't like it, don't play.
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited October 2013
    zicoboo wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    Also do you think Halloween shouldn't be celebrated on TSTO because of the religious element? (again just wondering)
    That would be pretty stupid imo. That would mean a lot of people missing out just because some people don't like it. The simpsons celebrate Halloween in the show, so I don't see why they wouldn't in the game too. Besides, if you're going to cut Halloween then would Christmas be cut too? Because that's based on religious beliefs even though a lot of people don't follow them

that's what I thought, but I've seen some comments (not so much here, but on other blog sites and forums) that it's not fair to leave people out etc
    But why we should cancel events due to a small religious minority I don't understand 0.o
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited October 2013
    danejm wrote:
    Is Halloween even treated as a religious holiday notwithstanding hipster Wiccans? Round my parts it's treated as secular with the added bonus of sweet sweet candy. If they dropped Halloween as content I'd stop playing as it would kowtow to some crybaby who only wants to make a stink to feel self righteous and important. You take one thing out, take it all out. If you don't like it, don't play.

some people see it as involving yourself with the devil and that kind of thing
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

Well those people have something wrong in the head
  • Distracty
    306 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

Those people have something wrong with the Ned! :twisted:

flanders_devil.gif
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

While this forum is definitely not the place to have a discussion of religious beliefs (as their has been numerous previous thread that ended in racist and anti-Semitic rhetoric) to say that "those people have something wrong in the head" is just not very nice. I do fully agree with that fact if someone does not like it they just do not have to play and it is a part of the show so there is no reason EA should not do this event. I would assume those same people might have an aversion to possibly placing other items in their SF's like the church (they do not have to be "Christian" to not like Halloween) or the Buddhist Temple.

Just for the record, Halloween is based on a pagan "holiday" that dates back for centuries. Like someone else said, however, it has become very secularized. For full disclosure the Dec 25th day of Christmas was originally a pagan high day as well and Christians appropriated that day as the day to celebrate and honor *'s birth (he was actually born in the Spring if I recall my theology correctly). The idea was to let the nonbelievers continue the same day of their traditions, but to alter their reverential focus from a pagan god to God and Jesus. There was a Simpsons episode about that where the Simpson family was dancing around a fire and Ned came and changed the celebration day of Christmas.

EA is right to put this in the game, just as people who choose not to participate due to religious conviction have the right to do so as well. However, we should not judge them for standing up for their convictions and I have not seen any of them on here proselytizing others and condemning EA for having this event.
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited October 2013
    Please don't start a religion debate. This really isn't the place
  • Emarau
    248 posts
    edited October 2013

Just for the record, Halloween is based on a pagan "holiday" that dates back for centuries. Like someone else said, however, it has become very secularized. For full disclosure the Dec 25th day of Christmas was originally a pagan high day as well and Christians appropriated that day as the day to celebrate and honor *'s birth (he was actually born in the Spring if I recall my theology correctly). The idea was to let the nonbelievers continue the same day of their traditions, but to alter their reverential focus from a pagan god to God and Jesus. There was a Simpsons episode about that where the Simpson family was dancing around a fire and Ned came and changed the celebration day of Christmas.

I would like to put my two cents in if that is ok. And I do so without being flamed or attacked. I am Pagan. I am not "hipster" or trying to be cool my grandfather and dad both were. And so is my husband. When we got married we had a hand fasting and jumped over the broom. We are raising our daughters with similar beliefs however they may be free to choose what they believe in when they are older. 25th December is Yule. (Winter Solace). Halloween is actually known as Samhain. It is a time for harvest, and a time for new, to acknowledge the ones who have past and is also considered the "new year"

If anyone would like any further I formation, please feel free to PM me as this is not the right place to be getting into this.

I guess Halloween is in the Simpsons game as they do a Halloween special every season. It also is something that has become quite traditional in American culture. I am from Australia, and Halloween is not something that is widely celbrated here (appart from me, and my family as I described above) however it is catching on, many agrue it is used as a "marketing scam" but I don't care I love it.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

While this forum is definitely not the place to have a discussion of religious beliefs (as their has been numerous previous thread that ended in racist and anti-Semitic rhetoric) to say that "those people have something wrong in the head" is just not very nice. I do fully agree with that fact if someone does not like it they just do not have to play and it is a part of the show so there is no reason EA should not do this event. I would assume those same people might have an aversion to possibly placing other items in their SF's like the church (they do not have to be "Christian" to not like Halloween) or the Buddhist Temple.

EA is right to put this in the game, just as people who choose not to participate due to religious conviction have the right to do so as well. However, we should not judge them for standing up for their convictions and I have not seen any of them on here proselytizing others and condemning EA for having this event.

Ok fair enough but it's not like the Simpsons are trashing religions here. It's Halloween on a game based on a cartoon and I don't think there is any basis for any religious people to be offended. It's not like Jesus or Mohammed are characters in the game.
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

Ok fair enough but it's not like the Simpsons are trashing religions here. It's Halloween on a game based on a cartoon and I don't think there is any basis for any religious people to be offended. It's not like Jesus or Mohammed are characters in the game.

I agree no one should be offended by the Halloween event, but if they are, they simply do not have to play. There are many belief systems and some believe that any holiday should not be celebrated (whether Christmas, Halloween, Easter, or even birthdays). So while they are not "offended" per se, they just choose not to participate due to their convictions
  • antpants7
    375 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    Don't look at it as a 'Halloween' update.
    Just rather a spooky/supernatural completely secular themed update. (unless that is still wrong)
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited October 2013
    The Simpsons is satire.
  • bliiinky
    7 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    There is not a single person in the world who is both a fan of the Simpsons and is easily offended by religious things. That's the exact opposite of what the show is about. I'm sorry, I don't want to be mean but that is kind of a stupid question. If you watch the show at all it's kind of obvious that they poke fun at everyone.
  • gavthomson
    192 posts New member
    edited October 2013
    I think it's ridiculous when people play the religion card. If they don't like it, don't play. If they are that bloody over-sensitive that they get offended by something that 'started as a pagan ceremony' but is now enjoyed by millions worldwide for precisely not that reason, then they need to get a grip.

I'm not religious, I think it's utter nonsense but that doesn't mean I avoid building the church or church of lard in my Springfield and hide it away in my inventory or something.

Come on. Brainwashed or what!
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts
    edited October 2013
    fluffling wrote:
    temporarily isn't playing TSTO due to Religious reasons against Halloween?
    Just Wondering because I know Halloween might be kinda against/frowned upon/not celebrated in some religions. but I have friends from a range of faiths that play.

Nope..
    fluffling wrote:

Definitely NOT. It should be celebrated. Halloween is a Simpsons tradition, so if you don't like Halloween, you shouldn't play. There are 25 seasons, and 24 of them have Halloween themed episodes and has been a tradition since the second season.
  • adidas4fun68
    939 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    If you are offended, dont play. Dont force me to celebrate or not celebrate things according to your dictates. Thats definitely not the way of "The Simpsons"
  • tiger10036778
    842 posts
    edited October 2013
    I personaly view neither halloween nor christmas as "religious"to be honest.

As has already been stated, halloween has no religious background, and christmas was manufactured to divert the celebration towards religion.

Before you flame me..... I still go to the totally beautiful midnight mass at lincoln cathedral on christmas eve! I love carols and cry at my wonderful life AND a christmas carol!

I am such an enigma :wink:
  • ChainsawMcRad
    5 posts
    edited October 2013
    Distracty wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    fluffling wrote:
    danejm wrote:

Those people have something wrong with the Ned! :twisted:

flanders_devil.gif

Bahahahaha so rad!!!! This place kills me....hilarious
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    I personaly view neither halloween nor christmas as "religious"to be honest.

As has already been stated, halloween has no religious background, and christmas was manufactured to divert the celebration towards religion.

Before you flame me..... I still go to the totally beautiful midnight mass at lincoln cathedral on christmas eve! I love carols and cry at my wonderful life AND a christmas carol!

I am such an enigma :wink:

I'm pretty sure Halloween does have a religious background...wasn't it once called All Hallow's Eve?

I mean, now it's not really religious, obviously.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!