EA Forums - Banner

Level 38 characters???

1235Next

Replies

• hotheadharvey
    12 posts
    edited November 2013
    The Playmates line of Simpsons figurines from 2002 feature both Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, as well as Lunchlady Doris. The figurines had voice chips that could be activated when attached to specific receptacle bases.

I'm not sure what the difference would be concerning legal prohibitions, but it didn't impede Playmates and The Simpsons creative rights management from recreating these likenesses after the deaths of Phil Hartman and Doris Grau.

This is so true. I had forgotten about those World of Simpsons figures and playsets. I used to have so many of them. But it does beg the question. If Playmates got the rights to use Phil Hartman's characters, then surely EA can do the same. And I remember they had Lionel Hutz & Troy McClure as figures. Heck all the characters were voiced. So I don't know what EA's problem is. Because I have The Simpsons ps3 game that came out in 2007 at the same time as the movie & every single character was voiced & that game was made by EA as well.

VJKzTWz.jpg

I... erm... *cough*...I got rid of mine too...

I am jealous of the Lyle Lanley figure. Is that a customization of Smithers? Awesome.

But yeah... even the celebrity voiced characters had the chips. I don't know what is stopping EA.
  • thatguamguy
    158 posts
    edited November 2013
    This is so true. I had forgotten about those World of Simpsons figures and playsets. I used to have so many of them. But it does beg the question. If Playmates got the rights to use Phil Hartman's characters, then surely EA can do the same. And I remember they had Lionel Hutz & Troy McClure as figures. Heck all the characters were voiced. So I don't know what EA's problem is. Because I have The Simpsons ps3 game that came out in 2007 at the same time as the movie & every single character was voiced & that game was made by EA as well.

The movie tie-in had movie specific contracts.

When Playmates put out those toys, the Simpsons actors had different contracts, and it made sense for Playmates to negotiate with all the actors for all the characters they wanted.

In the interim, they signed different contracts, actually for slightly less money per episode as far as I understand, but including an agreement that they will do voices for things like this for an additional lump payment. So this stuff is part of their contract, and Fox can just include "voices of the principal cast" as part of the initial agreement with EA, so it's paid for up front as part of the whole package. But this also means EA has no real incentive to go after the non-regular actors, who didn't sign such a contract. They'd have to pay out extra money for something that, for most actors, would only cover one additional character.

I imagine that Phil Hartman's estate would be especially expensive to deal with, because they don't have many sources of additional income these days.
  • batwa
    71 posts
    edited November 2013
    Lurleen and dr Marvin Monroe and Artie ziff
    Lurleen should come with the trailer park. Tapping on it could start a short animation of a tornado running through it!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!