EA Forums - Banner

is it worth spending money on tsto

Prev1
offyoupop
68 posts New member
I've spend a bit less than you and although I'd say that as game it's way too overpriced lately, if you enjoy it and refrain from buying console games then at least you spend money on something that you play and amuses you. Longterm, no it's not worth it. You will not be able to really the game after 20 years.

Replies

• DJDK-ec
    898 posts
    edited November 2013
    mcduck90 wrote:
    I've spend a bit less than you and although I'd say that as game it's way too overpriced lately, if you enjoy it and refrain from buying console games then at least you spend money on something that you play and amuses you. Longterm, no it's not worth it. You will not be able to really the game after 20 years.

Yeah. I hope when the time comes to discontinue supporting the game/servers, EA will be decent enough to give us an offline modus, so we can keep our towns on our devices.
  • rwvolture
    1259 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    The fact that I have not been able to play my main game for 33 days now makes me inclined to say no that it's not worth it cause it can all be gone in the blink of an eye and EA does not fix the issues
  • Leilani2013
    238 posts
    edited November 2013
    If you can afford it and playing the game makes you happy; then, yes it's worth it. Initially I resisted buying donuts because of the donut trap. Then when they put in the confirmation to spend donuts, I was willing to buy some but the time wasn't right and the few friends that I had playing this game pretty much stopped playing and without the social aspect it gets rather dull. Well then I found this site and now have a bunch of great and active friends. So, I finally got around to buying some about a month ago and I'm glad I did.

I suppose the value of it really depends on how you look at it. If you're looking for something tangible that you'll have for years to come; then, it might not be the right thing for you. I look at it like eating out or going to a movie. I only expect to get short term enjoyment from it and will give up one short term pleasure for another.
  • darkforce1985
    31 posts
    edited November 2013
    im only buy stuff that makes my town looks cool such as disco and 200% money and exp chars like sherri & terri
  • zicoboo
    354 posts
    edited November 2013
    I voted yes instead of no by mistake.

If you have lots of money, then sure it's worth it. But considering all the problems I've been having with the game, I wont be spending any money on it. I'm already having problems getting into the game, I don't know how long it's going to be until it crashes on me for good. Also, this game isn't really going to last. It's not the kinda game you buy and you'll have it forever to go back and play again whenever you want. If the prices were a bit more reasonable, then it would consider spending money but when it costs like $10 for a building... nope.
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited November 2013
    I generally limit myself to 300 donuts per month which tends to cover the premiums I want. £13.99 isn't even two glasses of wine in a pub in London and the wine is gone much faster than a quest with a premium character. :wink: it's cheap entertainment really.
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    I voted "No". I've spent substantially more than OP over the 14 months I've been playing this game. It has held much of my attention in my free time. I've purchased far fewer $60 console games, and I've been a lifelong Simpsons fan. Overall, I get a lot of enjoyment from TSTO.

Is it worth it though? Absolutely not! I'll never see a return on my >$500 investment. The TSTO bits stored on my iPad and on EA servers have no value on a secondary market. In the end, I've spent real money on a game I get a lot of enjoyment from, but it doesn't put food on my family's table or pay our medical bills, so it's not worth it in my book.
  • SuperMario643000
    1589 posts
    edited November 2013
    With all the cool animations, buildings, tasks, and other stuff, I feel that i's far past worth it. Besides, EA does need to make money. If only they listen to the complaints.
  • firesoul19
    452 posts
    edited November 2013
    I voted "No". I've spent substantially more than OP over the 14 months I've been playing this game. It has held much of my attention in my free time. I've purchased far fewer $60 console games, and I've been a lifelong Simpsons fan. Overall, I get a lot of enjoyment from TSTO.

Is it worth it though? Absolutely not! I'll never see a return on my >$500 investment. The TSTO bits stored on my iPad and on EA servers have no value on a secondary market. In the end, I've spent real money on a game I get a lot of enjoyment from, but it doesn't put food on my family's table or pay our medical bills, so it's not worth it in my book.

Hmm, by that definition, doing anything purely for fun isn't 'worth it'. Going to the movies or a theme park doesn't return you anything tangible. Lol. But you must think it's worth something, as you said you've actually spent some money on it.

Anyway, I bought a $50 pack of donuts at the last Gil sale and have been determined to make it last. I get enjoyment from budgeting and picking which items are really going to enhance my town and which I can do without. So to the OP yes, spending a modest amount has been worth the fun I've gotten out of it.
  • empathy77
    4191 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    If you enjoy the game, you have to spend a little money on it or else they will not continue updates
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited November 2013
    empathy77 wrote:
    If you enjoy the game, you have to spend a little money on it or else they will not continue updates

The key phrase: A little money.

We all buy a couple donuts every couple months, the gears keep spinning, we keep enjoying TSTO. Some people have no self control, and they feel the need to buy every premium item that EA slaps together, and then they come gum up the forum with complain threads. I don't understand how anyone justified spending that kind of money on imaginary items, unless you're near a six figure salary. If your going to have a shopping disorder, at least buy something tangible.
  • AmandaElwood
    168 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    I voted yes, though a "kinda sorta" option would have been more appropriate for my feelings on the matter. If you love the game and can afford it, then splurging on some donuts may be worth it. If you're broke or don't think you'll stick with it, then probably not.

I'm stuck at home due to health problems. When I was healthier, I used to go out to eat or to a movie with friends, attend auctions, go to the theater, take day trips, etc. I didn't think much of what I was spending, beyond making sure I was within budget, because I considered the enjoyment worth the expense. Now that my circumstances have changed, I need to look to other means for entertainment and stress relief. This game makes me happy and helps keep me sane, so spending some money on it is worth it to me. Sure, it bugs me that EA could shut off the servers and I won't see what I spent ever again, but then I'm not going to see that bowl of orange chicken I ate at Applebee's three years ago ever again, either.
  • cjryder625
    1426 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    I think donuts are far too expensive and so are premium items. If EA cut the price in half for both many more people would spend real money and I'm sure they wouldn't lose profit. They could of course have a few seriously expensive premium items to satisfy those who like to show off.
    I love my computer...all my friends live in it
  • philieb
    931 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Yes...maybe not...I'm not sure.
  • bluyoshi88810
    1455 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    If it's a premium you really want and you're careful how much you spend (I usually never go beyond $20 dollars a month) than I say it's worth it. I only buy the buildings/characters and never the decorations (unless it's really necessary). This game has sucked up so much of my time that I find it's worth my money.
  • fizzbin71825
    239 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    I voted "yes" even though I do not personally spend money on this game (well, at least not yet). "Worth" is a relative term, and it can only be properly defined by the individual. If you spend money on the game and you get enjoyment from it, then it I would suppose that that justifies spending the money and thus is "worth it." If you feel that you enjoy the game enough without spending money, then you might consider it not "worth it" for you.

Like I said, I have yet to spend any money on TSTO. I may in the future, though I will wait for a sale of any sort before even considering it. Right now, I enjoy the game enough without premium items.
  • mikeydluffy
    2014 posts
    edited November 2013
    No. You can have as much fun playing this game without spending a penny. Add the fact that the game is rather glitchy and in many cases unplayable make paying ludicrously overinflated prices for content wholey unjustifiable.

My view of this game may be sullied due to the fact I have been playing for 14 months now and just don't get the enjoyment out of it that I used to about 8 months ago. In retrospect I would hugely regret spending hundreds of pounds on this game.

Homer: "Years from now you will be so glad you bought that" :mrgreen:

This is my opinion and I don't deplore anyone that likes spending their hard earned money on T.O.
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited November 2013
    How one answers this question will depend on individual taste and circumstance. For me (presently, at least) the answer is, "yes."
  • mlc19821975
    63 posts
    edited November 2013
    I think that it is worth the $ if it is something that makes you happy. I started playing this game because I could poke the characters and here them say silly things. It brought me back to my youth and made me happy.

I resisted buying doughnuts, went through the anger at how expensive they were, and then saw the Mayflower, and bought a boatload of doughnuts this weekend. (Did you know it make a shooting sound?? teehee!!)

I work hard for my $ and this game brings me much joy and still has me laughing everyday. I am not playing a game with the idea I will make real $ from it. I see it as I am supporting the technology, creativity and artistry of the people who made this game and the characters. I am supporting art and loving every minute of it!!
  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Of course it is.

I could go see a crappy Adam Sandler movie --- now that would be a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.