EA Forums - Banner

Forum Grammar

Replies

• Helen0725
    553 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Two words that I see people mis-spelling or using in the wrong context: loose and lose

They'll write: I can't afford to loose anymore donuts. When it should be "I can't afford to lose anymore donuts."

It really irritates me when I see this mistake being made by so called intelligent people!

PLEASE, invest in a dictionary people!
  • TotalTapper
    348 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Helen0725 wrote:
    Two words that I see people mis-spelling or using in the wrong context: loose and lose

They'll write: I can't afford to loose anymore donuts. When it should be "I can't afford to lose anymore donuts."

It really irritates me when I see this mistake being made by so called intelligent people!

I get to maintain my moral high ground when people call me a looser, HA!
  • zicoboo
    354 posts
    edited November 2013
    People who take grammar seriously on a worldwide forum used by people of all ages...
    tumblr_mh65i3evAK1r64ulno1_500.gif
  • datasurgeon
    1878 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Helen0725 wrote:

I get to maintain my moral high ground when people call me a looser, HA!
    dictionary wouldn't help much they are spelled correctly. Or are you expecting them to look up the definitions?
  • adidas4fun68
    939 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    A lot - two words. It is a phrase.

Their - This is simple. It's what happens when people are referred to. An example: "Their house is over here"

There - Indicates where/what something is. As in "that thing is over there."

They're - They are. As in "they are going somewhere"

It's - It is. As in "it's great you're here"

Its - Possessive. As in "The dog took its bone"

You're - You are. as in "You're looking great"

Your - Possessive. As in "Your house is over there"

Just remember...
    A LOT IS A PHRASE.
    total fail, this is not a grammar lesson but a spelling lesson
  • jasonbd77
    238 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    "I saw it".
    I read and hear "I seen it" far more often than is acceptable.
    "Saw" is past tense.
    "Seen" is past participle.
    I saw that movie.
    I have seen that movie.
  • Indys2nd
    1906 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    zicoboo wrote:
    People who take grammar seriously on a worldwide forum used by people of all ages...

+1 :thumbup: If this was a forum for a national newspaper, a business organization, etc., it might make a little more sense. But for a Simpson video game? Seriously? I suppose you correct your friends when you're out with them too. They must really enjoy that.

I come to forum to talk with friends and discuss the game that I enjoy playing. :D
  • smith3198
    688 posts
    edited November 2013
    indys2nd wrote:
    zicoboo wrote:

+1 :thumbup: If this was a forum for a national newspaper, a business organization, etc., it might make a little more sense. But for a Simpson video game? Seriously? I suppose you correct your friends when you're out with them too. They must really enjoy that.

I come to forum to talk with friends and discuss the game that I enjoy playing. :D

^^^^^ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :P ^^^^
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Its hard not to come off as incredibly smug, when correcting someone's grammar. Many people find that smugness to be a much more intolerable offence, than the grammar itself. If you're going to be "that guy," then you should at least be aware. Its not a good look.
  • jasonbd77
    238 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately, we live in a world that undervalues academics. I may well be "smug", but when my partner of six years makes a grammatical error, I correct him. I am interested in how the professional world views him. I pat myself on the back for the job I do braising short ribs and finishing a crossword puzzle without assistance, not word usage. Someone make me a Smuggy McSmuggerson ribbon please! :roll:
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    jasonbd77 wrote:
    Unfortunately, we live in a world that undervalues academics. I may well be "smug", but when my partner of six years makes a grammatical error, I correct him. I am interested in how the professional world views him. I pat myself on the back for the job I do braising short ribs and finishing a crossword puzzle without assistance, not word usage. Someone make me a Smuggy McSmuggerson ribbon please! :roll:
    As long as you're aware, then there is not much else to add.
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited November 2013
    I follow forum etiquette; spelling and grammar don't seem to be priorities on the TSTO forum so I don't bother pointing out errors - plus there aren't enough hours in the day. Instead my regard for English is conveyed by example. Although I must admit it has taken me a while to get used to a tablet and I have made my fair share of posts littered with typos.

Edit: left out an "I"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't make typing errors alot, your just overreacting, its easy enough to figure out what most people mean, there just gonna keep doing it anyways. Their is that to you're point?

That's pretty much what I meant. :)
  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited November 2013

No one is referring to people who are using English as a second language. Age is a valid consideration.

That's obvious.

I'm always amused by people who go out of their way to defend being lazy when it comes to this topic. "It's my right to be an ignoramus! I will defend my deplorable grammar to the death!"

Honestly, I quit reading people's posts at the first "alot".

My device fights me when I combine those 2 words, it knows "a lot" is a phrase.

My 14 year old son wrote the OP for me... He's been using correct grammar for as long as he's been writing... It's something that can be taught and learned. Telling me that it is an age related problem is something I DO take into consideration. I ALWAYS realize that perhaps this person is 7 or 8 years old... But honestly, the lack of basic communication skills are not a good thing. If my 2 kids want to keep their gaming devices, they better keep up their grades. Is that too much to ask?

By the way, I am a terrible speller. Then I became a writer... I had to learn how to spell or be laughed at by the people who paid my salary. This was prior to spell check. I paid a proof reader to go over my work before handing in a draft. (Maybe that's why it bothers me so much?)

Anyway, the world is divided into those who care how the world views them by the way they express themselves and those who don't give a crap.

The OP was not judgmental. It was simply stated as fact. You are free to use it, ignore it, hate it and me but you can not argue that it is incorrect.

• adidas4fun68
    939 posts Member
    edited November 2013

The OP was not judgmental. It was simply stated as fact. You are free to use it, ignore it, hate it and me but you can not argue that it is incorrect.
    oh yes I can. It was not a grammar lesson, it was a spelling lesson. Fail.
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited November 2013

And your comment made a capitalisation error, which is a beautiful demonstration of Muphry's Law.

No-one's perfect all the time. (Except possibly Tom Hardy, but that's a WHOLE other discussion that is definitely nowhere near PG enough for these boards.)
  • algar_toon
    51 posts
    edited November 2013
    if this was a forum for budding authors i could understand the need for good grammar and spelling but its a forum for a game

yes maybe it is a real pet hate for people but you just have to grin and bear it i'm afraid, if you think this forum is bad you should have a good dig about on facebook
  • direwolf987
    7450 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, I wasn't aware my post are going to be graded or used in a professional manner. I better get my dictionary and thesaurus out!
  • adidas4fun68
    939 posts Member
    edited November 2013

And your comment made a capitalisation error, which is a beautiful demonstration of Muphry's Law.

No-one's perfect all the time. (Except possibly Tom Hardy, but that's a WHOLE other discussion that is definitely nowhere near PG enough for these boards.)
    I never claimed to be perfect, but to lecture whilst being so utterly up the wrong tree ...
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited November 2013
    If you are looking for intelligent, well written conversation, you might want to try a forum that is not centered around a mobile game based on a cartoon. It's like going to Walmart and complaining about people being under-dressed.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.