EA Forums - Banner

thanksgiving and christmas... in the USA?

Turkey is traditional for thanksgiving but not exclusive for Christmas. However it makes a good choice A it is a relatively cheap and can feed a large group

If you are Italian decent then fish is served Christmas eve otherwise anything is possible. Christmas eve is more like a party but not a. Dinner party.

Replies

• tiger10036778
    842 posts
    edited November 2013
    Thanks neighbour....

:D

I would love to know from other countries too..... again, I know I could google it but would rather hear from those that observe the traditions :lol:

• snowyriver32
    1528 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi usa friends :D

I could google this I am sure..... but I want it from natives :wink:

As a brit thanksgiving dinner confuses me...... it is obviously a turkey dinner but tv and movies have taught me that christmas dinner in the usa is also turkey but served christmas eve??

Can anyone educate me......

1. Are christmas and thnksgiving dinners the same?

2. Is christmas turkey served on christmas eve?

3. What (if 2 is correct) do you have for actual christmas day?

please do not be insulted...... I really want to know..... I love christmas and am interested in christmas in other countries :D

cheers

Rick

Thanksgiving is the traditional turkey meal - Christmas can have turkey but is not limited to it. Some people have ham instead.

Serving a big mean on christmas eve is more of a tradition. Soe people have the big meal on christmas day isntead of christmas eve. When I was growing up, we always had a turkey dinner on christmas day itself - that was when i lived in texas. Out here in Utah, people have it more on christmas eve.

If we have the big meal (turkey or whatever) on christmas eve, then we eat the leftovers on christmas day and however long it lasts...usually theres a lot of leftover food. If our traditional big meal is on christmas day, then christmas eve meals are normal meals like any other day.

Basically, its all a matter of what your family decides to have as tradition. It can be either the night before or the day of.

My question now..is..how is christmas celebrated in the UK?
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Here in Canada thanksgiving is in October at the start of the month not in November we have turkey thanksgiving day. Christmas for my family is turkey or ham usually on Christmas Day not the eve. Then the next day we observe Boxing Day.
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited November 2013
    I don't want to speak for Americans as I'm not one, but I did spend Christmas with a Colombian-American family one year and saw how they did things.

Christmas was celebrated on Christmas Eve, with the whole family. Which was HUGE. Food-wise was very much a buffet, but the main meat was honey roast ham. It was a very family-house-party kind of atmosphere. Those who drank did so to excess; I knew all of 2 people there out of about 100, and spent most of the evening talking to a guy from Texas as, after a few drinks, we both (very good naturedly) found each other's accents hilarious.

The whole experience was extra-strange to me as we were in Miami. On Christmas day itself, we went shopping and ate... well, it was nothing special, I think it was actually at Pollo Tropical.

I suspect that the celebrating-on-Christmas-Eve part might be to do with the hispanic population, but again, that's not from the horse's mouth so I might be wrong. It is apparently what they do in Colombia though.
  • Mjr1124
    654 posts
    edited November 2013
    It's a matter of convenience, a turkey can feed a large amount of people, or like someone else mentioned, a big ham is often used as well or instead.
  • CoffeeMars
    1058 posts
    edited November 2013
    Thanksgiving is big deal at our house. My sister goes all out assigning everyone tasks ,decorations, invites we even have to do a seating chart. We invite friends who don't have families near by or just about any friend who would like to stop by.

We change it up a bit every now and then. We do eat turkey and a couple of times we bought turducken (stuffed duck inside a chicken inside a turkey)

Last year I used my bonus and went to an elementary kids school in a not so good area and asked for a lower income family list. With the help of a few friends and the school we delivered turkey's and trimmings to these families. Afterwards we did a mini celebration and thank you to those who helped me at my house.

I've worked the past 10 Christmas' so what my family does is they wait for me to arrive home in the morning. My mother usually has breakfast going and everyone else in pajamas. We eat first then exchange gifts.

There have been a few years we did differently and did do a full out turkey feast when we invite friends over on Christmas

We love the holidays :)
  • bee88161
    2976 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    CoffeeMars wrote:
    Thanksgiving is big deal at our house. My sister goes all out assigning everyone tasks ,decorations, invites we even have to do a seating chart. We invite friends who don't have families near by or just about any friend who would like to stop by.

We change it up a bit every now and then. We do eat turkey and a couple of times we bought turducken (stuffed duck inside a chicken inside a turkey)

Last year I used my bonus and went to an elementary kids school in a not so good area and asked for a lower income family list. With the help of a few friends and the school we delivered turkey's and trimmings to these families. Afterwards we did a mini celebration and thank you to those who helped me at my house.

I've worked the past 10 Christmas' so what my family does is they wait for me to arrive home in the morning. My mother usually has breakfast going and everyone else in pajamas. We eat first then exchange gifts.

There have been a few years we did differently and did do a full out turkey feast when we invite friends over on Christmas

We love the holidays :)

That sounds like a beautiful holiday season in your household :-)

• mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    We don't have thanksgiving.

In my family, we have glazed ham and turkey on Christmas Day, then feed on the leftovers for days.
  • st33lcas3
    256 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Thanksgiving is always turkey in our house. It's American tradition, I'm great at making it and you get leftovers for a week. :D

Christmas isn't always turkey. I've made ham and prime rib too. One year we slow BBQ'd a brisket ( yes many jokes were made about serving a traditionally Jewish holiday food on Christmas). Dinner is always on Christmas Eve.

Christmas morning breakfast is usually bacon, sausage, hash browns, waffles, fruits and coffee or juice. After opening presents of course.

• Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited November 2013
    In my family we always have turkey for Thanksgiving.

I've never heard of having the main celebratory meal on Christmas Eve; we usually have something easy like pasta and salad. Our big meal is on Christmas Day when we go all out, and we've had turkey, ham, roast beef, duck, lamb - leg or crown roast, Cornish hens, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things.
  • baylensmom
    786 posts
    edited November 2013
    We do Turkey on Thanksgiving.
    As for Christmas, we either do Ham or Prime rib on Christmas Day. We usually eat something easy on Christmas Eve and then feast the next day. :)
  • albivs81326
    25 posts
    edited November 2013
    We always have turkey on thanksgiving day but on christmas is a whole different story, we observe the hispanic traditions, we used to have tamales every year but know we change the menu we have had turkey, ham, brisket and a bunch of hispanic food and our big celebration is on christmas eve, we have dinner and talk, on christmas morning we eat leftovers and then we visit friends and family the rest of the day.
  • direwolf987
    7450 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    My family always does turkey on Thanksgiving. For Christmas, there are usually more people so we have ham and turkey. Christmas Eve is usually just spent with immediate family (wives/husbands and kids) and each family does their own thing. My girlfriends family has always had King Crab Feast on Christmas Eve, so that was a nice surprise for me.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts New member
    edited November 2013
    Thanksgiving is always turkey-centered and we always have plenty of sides with it and many in the family that are able to join in. Christmas dinner is usually less selection of sides, but the main course can be switched (like Steak/lobster) or to a pasta dish. Christmas Eve is usually lower key for me since we always do our big dinner on Christmas day.

I'd compare our Easter dinner closer to Thanksgiving, it's a clone of the majority of the sides and served the same way (same large table, blessing, lots of dishes being passed), just we do ham instead of turkey. My mom's side is very Polish, so we typically all crave the Polish sausage that she gets from the market, it is only served twice a year - Easter and Thanksgiving (along with the main meat).
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited November 2013
    Many americans have pork on xmas, most often a cured ham. Latin American's generally celebrate xmas eve (noche Buena) instead of xmas day, and most often there is a pork and a seafood dish. Xmas eve the entire extended family will gather for a late dinner, and xmas day we will spend at home with our platonic families.
  • buster2369
    39 posts
    edited November 2013
    Every family celebrates differently. Growing up in New York as an Italian, my family always made a traditional turkey for Thanksgiving. Christmas eve we have fish and some Italian food, and on Christmas Day we usually do a Chicken and/or Italian Food. All of us are so sick of turkey by Christmas it works for us.

We have a lot of Jewish friends we invite over for the holiday so we always end up with some Jewish dishes too.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!