EA Forums - Banner

Best Strategies for Earning Money for Beginner / Middle of Game / Veteran Players

I think the best strategy is to be patient and complete all the quests. As you go along you'll get more buildings and the money will start coming in. Before you know it, you'll be getting at least $50,000.00 each day, maybe even more depending on what you have in your Springfield.

I have used donuts to buy premium items that I felt were important to have, like the cracker factory. I knew that getting the factory would also give me Luann and that she would be integral to many quests.
I've been guilty of using donuts to speed things along. But I've vowed not to do that anymore, after all why spend donuts if you don't have to. It's better to be be patient and wait for the task to get done. I'll save the donuts for when I really want to get that special premium item.

In regards to house farming, I think that it takes away from the fun of the game. It makes the game become almost monotonous. Plus, it's so time consuming to tap on all those houses.

Whatever you decide to do, remember to enjoy the game every step of the way:)

Replies

• Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited November 2013
    I find that, over time, the amount of money I'm making is roughly in proportion with the amount of money I'm required to spend on quests. So, if I'm earning about $100k a day, I'm spending about 2.5x that on each major building purchase; when I was earning $10k a day, it was still 2.5x for each major building. So, just waiting it out doesn't actually make you advance through the game any faster.

The most basic tip is to keep your characters occupied all the time. For example, don't send a character on a 1-hour quest task before bed. Stick them on 8 hours (or however long you sleep for) and do the 1 hour in the morning. The shortest tasks give the best time-to-payout ratio, but obviously you have to check in more frequently.

If you're prepared to use the "tile tapping" glitch, there's ways to make money out of that, rather than SP tiles, since it also applies to the farm, channel 6, and the stage. They're well covered on the forum though so I won't go into details. That said, I did the maths on how much you could make from corn sped up with donuts over the 90 days you'd have to wait without donuts, and it's in excess of $12m based on having no friends and 1 feeder town. So if that appeals, have a search...!

One tip for experienced players: if you're on the highest level and have hit the "donut bonus" at least once, hold off buying buildings before an update. I've been at 37+ through 2 updates now; both times I've had a task to buy a particular building, and both times that building has been cheaper post-update. In the case of Spinster City apartments, it went down from (I think) $250k ish to $180k ish, which is a significant saving.

My other tip, for all levels, is to maximise your multiplier. Getting to 5* on the conform-o-meter can be done with zero donuts (though some of them are tricky and require duplicates, namely gluttony and consumerism). If you're spending donuts on the multiplier items, work out the donut-to-percentage ratio, and hit the most efficient ones first.

Another tip for donut purchases is to go for buildings with characters first - the characters generate more cash than usual characters and will significantly add to your reserves, especially if the building also pays out. Some stand-alone characters are good value too, especially if they unlock tasks at buildings with useful-for-you durations (e.g. bumblebee man gives you a 24-hour task at channel 6).

Last tip: read these forums! Educate yourself on the game mechanics so that you understand the effect of your in-game actions. That way you can decide for yourself what you want to achieve and the best way to go about it.

That's all I can think of right now.
  • 6th_LayerofHell
    133 posts
    edited November 2013
    I find that, over time, the amount of money I'm making is roughly in proportion with the amount of money I'm required to spend on quests. So, if I'm earning about $100k a day, I'm spending about 2.5x that on each major building purchase; when I was earning $10k a day, it was still 2.5x for each major building. So, just waiting it out doesn't actually make you advance through the game any faster.

The most basic tip is to keep your characters occupied all the time. For example, don't send a character on a 1-hour quest task before bed. Stick them on 8 hours (or however long you sleep for) and do the 1 hour in the morning. The shortest tasks give the best time-to-payout ratio, but obviously you have to check in more frequently.

If you're prepared to use the "tile tapping" glitch, there's ways to make money out of that, rather than SP tiles, since it also applies to the farm, channel 6, and the stage. They're well covered on the forum though so I won't go into details. That said, I did the maths on how much you could make from corn sped up with donuts over the 90 days you'd have to wait without donuts, and it's in excess of $12m based on having no friends and 1 feeder town. So if that appeals, have a search...!

One tip for experienced players: if you're on the highest level and have hit the "donut bonus" at least once, hold off buying buildings before an update. I've been at 37+ through 2 updates now; both times I've had a task to buy a particular building, and both times that building has been cheaper post-update. In the case of Spinster City apartments, it went down from (I think) $250k ish to $180k ish, which is a significant saving.

My other tip, for all levels, is to maximise your multiplier. Getting to 5* on the conform-o-meter can be done with zero donuts (though some of them are tricky and require duplicates, namely gluttony and consumerism). If you're spending donuts on the multiplier items, work out the donut-to-percentage ratio, and hit the most efficient ones first.

Another tip for donut purchases is to go for buildings with characters first - the characters generate more cash than usual characters and will significantly add to your reserves, especially if the building also pays out. Some stand-alone characters are good value too, especially if they unlock tasks at buildings with useful-for-you durations (e.g. bumblebee man gives you a 24-hour task at channel 6).

Last tip: read these forums! Educate yourself on the game mechanics so that you understand the effect of your in-game actions. That way you can decide for yourself what you want to achieve and the best way to go about it.

This one covers everything you need to know..good luck
  • hobbesisreal
    578 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    Helen0725 wrote:
    I think the best strategy is to be patient and complete all the quests. As you go along you'll get more buildings and the money will start coming in.

Actually these two points are the main reason I asked the question. I can see how what you say holds true....most of the time. I am actually one of the exceptions to that rule.

I started just after the Halloween even started, so I got loads of XP in a very short time without enough time to complete all the main game game task as I was trying to complete the limited time Halloween tasks too. As a result at the end of the event I found myself jumping from level 1 to level 20 when it ended. Now my level tasks are more expensive than I should have been making by this point in the game.

I am slowing catching up to that "amount of money I'm making is roughly in proportion with the amount of money I'm required to spend on quests" point, which I appreciate as I like to play games like this as intended without shortcuts.......but I am not quite there yet.

HobbesIsReal
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited November 2013

Very comprehensive :)

thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that.png?w=640
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited November 2013
    I started just after the Halloween even started, so I got loads of XP in a very short time without enough time to complete all the main game game task as I was trying to complete the limited time Halloween tasks too. As a result at the end of the event I found myself jumping from level 1 to level 20 when it ended. Now my level tasks are more expensive than I should have been making by this point in the game.

I am slowing catching up to that "amount of money I'm making is roughly in proportion with the amount of money I'm required to spend on quests" point, which I appreciate as I like to play games like this as intended without shortcuts.......but I am not quite there yet.

HobbesIsReal

That sucks :( It should mean you've got a fair few donuts out of it though, so if you haven't spent them already, you could use them to up your multiplier or add some characters and get a leg up that way.
  • GooooBanana
    20 posts Member
    edited November 2013
    The cheaper stuff pays out better If you have time to sit there.

I'm sure people making $100k/day aren't counting the dollars like me though, so that may be a totally different strategy.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited November 2013
    I'm sure people making $100k/day aren't counting the dollars like me though, so that may be a totally different strategy.

I make about $120k/day, but I'm always counting! I haven't finished buying the land expansions yet, so that eats through my cash quickly. It's just like real life: however much you're earning, you get used to it, and it never feels like enough. Your expectations are always slightly higher than reality allows.

Can anyone drop a corn-harvesting glitch into real life...? No? Not even if I promise to spend lots on donuts? :(
  • kjamma
    126 posts
    edited November 2013
    In the beginning, I took the quantity approach, to both tasks and houses (aka, the controversial house-farming, and yes, I do it.) Others have already mentioned and given the math examples showing that the shorter tasks/cheaper houses generate more payout for their counterparts, and I used this mentality to build capital so I had it when it came time to buy the buildings needed in quests. This assumes that you have a lot of spare time to check in multiple times an hour. I made the time for frequent check-ins very early on, but I definitely reduced playtime as time went on.

What it boils down to is realistically, how frequently are you checking in? If you decide to go the house farming route, it clearly makes sense to concentrate on the house type that most closely correlates with your average frequency of play (ie, Purple house if you play every 3 or 4 hours, Pink houses if you play every 6 or 7 hours, etc.) You may find that you adjust/upgrade your house ratios as you gain more capital so you don't *have* to check in as frequently to collect (as I did - I have very few brown houses and now have more purple/blue houses) but if you go the house farming route, you're probably going to have to start with Brown and play often. I am nearing the point where I will likely get rid of my house farms and really start concentrating on aesthetics instead of making moolah, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm still stuck in "why waste the land?!" mode... it's a tough habit to break.

And if you need money (not donuts) do not underestimate the power of the KEM scratchers - even if it's only a hundred bucks, every one is a winner. On the other hand, I would recommend avoiding Springfield Downs when you get it if you are cash poor. I've never had much luck there, and unlike the scratchers, you do not make it back.

Now that I'm mid-level (I'm at level 37, but I wouldn't really consider myself a "veteran" since that implies longevity to me, though ymmv) I am starting to focus more on quality and placing items that increase $/XP so I don't feel as obligated to check in, even when I know stuff is done. If you're just starting and movin' on up, by level 37, you've saved up some donuts, hopefully. I lucked out with some of the donut scratchers (a few with 100 donut wins) as well as a couple of 30 donut mystery boxes, so while those helped my situation, they cannot be relied on as methods for getting donuts.

With enough donuts in your hot little hands, I agree that you would probably be best served getting whatever premium building or buildings with a character as you can (as previously mentioned, for both the ongoing building payout, as well as the premium character earning money on tasks at the premium rate.)

After that, I personally am a fan of placing cars. DMV limos give the most bang at 2.25% with police cars, Channel 6 vans, and the Burns limo close behind at 2%; I do have some of the other cars but with most giving a 1% or less bonus, I'm not as focused on those - I'd rather save up and spend 40 donuts on another Burns limo than 30 donuts on an ambulance, which only gives a .5% bonus. I like cars because they don't take up a lot of room so are easy to fit/move as need be. The same can be accomplished with balloons, and if you didn't see it mentioned in other threads, the Grumpie balloon is a really great deal at 25 donuts and 2%. Personally, I'm not as big of a fan of the way they look vs the cars - that's just me though. I certainly have some and will probably add more, since they are also easy to place/move.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!