EA Forums - Banner

Hanukkah Update

124Next

Replies

• Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited December 2013
    You can't throw a dead cat out of your car without hitting a mall Santa.

Hey, if dead cats are fair game, can we add a Schrödinger's Day event? That way each cat has a 50/50 chance, in theory at least.

;-)

At risk of starting yet another debate, the cats don't have a 50-50 chance; they're both alive and dead at the same time. (Does that make them zombie cats?) I suspect that they'd still hit a mall Santa just as easily, though.

Would that be better expressed as 100/100? ;-) No debate, I'm just glad that my attempt at geek humor wasn't a total thread-killer!

Geek humour will never kill a thread so long as I'm around :)
  • beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    You'd have to not observe the cat hitting the mall santa so as to not change the outcome though, so you'd never find out if it was dead or alive or indeed even hit the santa. All in all not that much fun ;)
  • graywolfii
    550 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    I want a Schrodinger's Jewish Cat update. We won't know until AFTER Hanukkah is over whether the cat celebrated it or not.

So, like... now. Since Hanukkah ended Thursday. :p
  • hipmama197190
    288 posts
    edited December 2013
    graywolfii wrote:
    I want a Schrodinger's Jewish Cat update. We won't know until AFTER Hanukkah is over whether the cat celebrated it or not.

Yes, that would be the Miracle of it. Instead of running over an hour, the cat would be both alive and dead for a full 8 nights. We will celebrate every year by eating latkes made from tuna and playing dreidel for kitty treats, until the dreidel goes under the couch and no one can get it back. :-(

Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun, are there are Jewish physicists out there who can invite me over for something like this? My family is LDS, so we'll return the favor if anyone wants to celebrate "Bring Back Polygamy AND Pluto!" Day or have a "What the heck happened to Ison, was it (duh duh dum) Magnets?" brunch...
  • Leilani2013
    238 posts
    edited December 2013
    graywolfii wrote:

Yes, that would be the Miracle of it. Instead of running over an hour, the cat would be both alive and dead for a full 8 nights. We will celebrate every year by eating latkes made from tuna and playing dreidel for kitty treats, until the dreidel goes under the couch and no one can get it back. :-(

Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun, are there are Jewish physicists out there who can invite me over for something like this? My family is LDS, so we'll return the favor if anyone wants to celebrate "Bring Back Polygamy AND Pluto!" Day or have a "What the heck happened to Ison, was it (duh duh dum) Magnets?" brunch...

Lol, that made me laugh. On a side note thank you for all the genealogy work the LDS does. Maybe we could have this cat celebration at the next Family History Day. That is, of course, as long as PETA doesn't find out.
  • BasedXatu
    25 posts
    edited December 2013
    Christmas isn't a Christian holiday.....
  • 8injoe
    94 posts
    edited December 2013
    Simpsons owned by Fox which is owned by news Corp which is owned by Disney and that is why the Simpson's will never openly acknowledge anything Jewish. I'm surprised they even made krusty Jewish, but probably why it was only mentioned.in 1or 2 episides
  • Leilani2013
    238 posts
    edited December 2013
    Nope, it's a Christian adaption of a pagan celebration. In it's early years it was intended to smooth the transition of pagans into Christianity. It's not the only pagan celebration that was adopted by the Christians. Essentially, the easiest way to get people to join in your beliefs is to make them believe that you are incorporating their beliefs in your belief structure. There's more to it than that, but the rest is far too dark for a friendly forum. After four years of the nuns myself and 13 years of the nuns for the kids, this topic has been deeply explored and hotly debated in our house.

edit: good point 8injoe. Anyone who doesn't know what you're talking about just has to research Walt's views.
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013
    ecneralc wrote:
    As usual, anyone making demands on others based solely on religious reason is to be ignored.

If you don't like what the game has to offer? Quit playing.

Also, the origins of Boxing Day in this thread is terribly incorrect.

If you're going to say its incorrect then why don't you correct it.

Everything you wrote was closer to the mark. It does have some differences. Boxes in the church to collect for the poor. A lord giving the peasantry the goods they would need for the coming year (in boxes)

But this:

"Boxing Day started off as parents who could afford to buy presents for their children would box up their children's old toys and give them to people who couldn't afford Christmas. Now it's celebrate with week long sales with everything up to 75% off."

This was absolutely NOT how Boxing Day "started off"

I couldn't correct it, because there is no right answer but there certainly *are* wrong answers. ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.