EA Forums - Banner

Total Redesign - Where to go from here?

I would start by categorising the different types of buildings, so you can have a basic idea on which buildings will be together. Example: Have all the museums together; channel 6, Krustylu Studios and Film Set together; an industry section; a housing area; etc. (you catch my drift)
Then decide on where you want these sections to be in your town. Another example: Have the shopping area in the centre of your SF; have the housing area on the outskirts and maybe have the industry close to the ocean/SP. (It is entirely up to you)
Then you can start laying down a grid with road or pavement. It would be easiest, if you start from your town hall and then work your way outwards.
A good tip you should keep in mind, is to leave open spaces all around your town for future buildings. For aesthetics you could fill those empty plots with parks, if you like.
And another good tip: Write everything down on paper, before you start designing, so you have a basic plan to follow.

I hope this helps you. If you need further inspiration for certain buildings, use the search function in this forum section and in the game discusion section. You will easily find "What have you done with your xxxxx" threads.

Replies

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks a lot, DJDK-ec, that was really helpful to get started. I'm going to try and create a sort of downtown area near the sea side with the shops and then an industrial estate as you suggested further inland. I'm a huge OCD freak for having buildings decorated though, and I think half of my town will end up having to stay in inventory until I get more land :?
  • Indys2nd
    1906 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    If you keep half your buildings in inventory, it will take you that much longer to get all the land.

Another place to look for ideas is in the panorama thread that is a sticky at the top of this sub forum. From there you can get many ideas of how people set up their Springfields and hopefully use them to inspire your own.

I'd get busy doing some of your redesigning now. Once the update hits, the snow makes it that much harder to design.
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    You make a valid point, Indy. And yeah, I've thought about designing in that snow and that's why I'm up at 2:45am moving virtual buildings about on an iPad... Thanks for the tips :)
  • Indys2nd
    1906 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    That's some dedication Barry. Lol. I think you have at least tomorrow to finish it. Maybe longer. :D

You'll have to share some pics when your done or send a friend request. I'm curious what a redesign looks like that late. :lol: If did that, I'd probably be like, to heck with it. Why can't the Simpson house go next to the Moe's? (Actually I'm pretty sure Homer would be happy.) :mrgreen:
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    I'll post pics of certain parts when I get up. Can't do a panorama at the moment though as I took up a little extra land than I thought I would...
    D5pR36Rl.jpg
    Ended up with all of that in a corner. :?
    Got my Halloween forest, town hall, park, slum and mansion boulevard done though.. would have made more sense to buy most of the remaining land yesterday rather than the escalator. Good night :D
    Will also add you when I go back on in the morning :) don't even have the energy to put everyone back on task....
  • simbass7
    1928 posts
    edited December 2013
    DJDK-ec wrote:
    I would start by categorising the different types of buildings, so you can have a basic idea on which buildings will be together. Example: Have all the museums together; channel 6, Krustylu Studios and Film Set together; an industry section; a housing area; etc. (you catch my drift)
    Then decide on where you want these sections to be in your town. Another example: Have the shopping area in the centre of your SF; have the housing area on the outskirts and maybe have the industry close to the ocean/SP. (It is entirely up to you)
    Then you can start laying down a grid with road or pavement. It would be easiest, if you start from your town hall and then work your way outwards.
    A good tip you should keep in mind, is to leave open spaces all around your town for future buildings. For aesthetics you could fill those empty plots with parks, if you like.
    And another good tip: Write everything down on paper, before you start designing, so you have a basic plan to follow.

I hope this helps you. If you need further inspiration for certain buildings, use the search function in this forum section and in the game discusion section. You will easily find "What have you done with your xxxxx" threads.

What he said :thumbup:
    I did a total redesign and it was big task...
    It took me a whole week, a few houses a day
    First you need to have an idea of layout of your town (districts- estate area, center, district areas, parks etc..)
    I would start with laying the roads and then design the areas...
    It takes lot of work but you can do it :)
    this is never ending task though
    Good luck
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Simbass. I decorated what I could but in the end I had to squeeze everything in.
    Indy, if you are still up for an add please add me, my Origin name is the same as my forum name :).
    Please don't judge anything yet though, I've only completed about 1/3 of the town. Not going to bother decorating until I get all the land as it is so much hassle trying to get everything in :oops:
  • Indys2nd
    1906 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Sending you a friend request now. That's ok. ^ I can just watch as you renovate. 8)
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Received and accepted. Sorry for the late reply, was just sitting down to dinner. Will visit your town and hang my head in shame at the state of mine :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!