Top Grossing?

I don't even have them, and there's no way i would spend money on them

Replies

• Land0fComedy
    1110 posts
    edited December 2013
    I don't even have them, and there's no way if spend money on them

My sentiment exactly.

I just don't get how TSTO isn't #1 grossing?
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    My understanding of candy crush, even though I have never tried it. (I'm told its like heroin: not even once) is that everyone plays it. While I'm sure TSTO is the more expensive game, not everybody plays it, and fewer people spend money in it.
  • Undaunted-001
    2295 posts
    edited December 2013
    I don't even have them, and there's no way if spend money on them

My sentiment exactly.

I just don't get how TSTO isn't #1 grossing?
    you know how it works :wink: people only want to know when theirs an update out. The buggers then comeback for the next update :lol:

if you are one of them buggers please don't take offence lol
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited December 2013
    I had a look at the in-app purchases for the higher-grossing games in the UK App Store. Candy Crush Saga has a few low-cost in-app purchases, all at either 69p or £1.49. Psychologically speaking, it's much easier to spend such a small amount, and not even consider it a purchase. Once you start, you get into the habit, you make lots of purchases, suddenly you've spent a lot. I suspect that's the top grossing game because it's incredibly popular with women who, statistically speaking, are more likely to spend money (women account for something like 86% of commerce).

The other games - Clash of the Clans and Top Eleven in my store - have a purchase structure similar to TSTO. I have no idea how they've done it. But then, I have no idea why anyone's playing any of those 2 games in the first place. (I kinda get the appeal of Candy Crush, but don't play it myself.)

How they define "top grossing" is also probably a factor - they could be ranking them based on total revenue, or on average revenue per download, which could give very different results.
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    The other games - Clash of the Clans and Top Eleven in my store - have a purchase structure similar to TSTO. I have no idea how they've done it. But then, I have no idea why anyone's playing any of those 2 games in the first place. (I kinda get the appeal of Candy Crush, but don't play it myself.)
    Yeah, we can complain about how expensive this game is, but at least our towns aren't pitted against each other, and we don't raid each other's premium stuff. That's when you shell ot and easy hundred dollars just for the ability to stay competitive. I have done that once, and never again.
  • Land0fComedy
    1110 posts
    edited December 2013
    I had a look at the in-app purchases for the higher-grossing games in the UK App Store. Candy Crush Saga has a few low-cost in-app purchases, all at either 69p or £1.49. Psychologically speaking, it's much easier to spend such a small amount, and not even consider it a purchase. Once you start, you get into the habit, you make lots of purchases, suddenly you've spent a lot. I suspect that's the top grossing game because it's incredibly popular with women who, statistically speaking, are more likely to spend money (women account for something like 86% of commerce).

How they define "top grossing" is also probably a factor - they could be ranking them based on total revenue, or on average revenue per download, which could give very different results.

Makes a lot of sense.

I just found this and was shocked.

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2013/07/candy-crush-saga-is-earning-633000-a-day/

Candy Crush Saga makes $633,000 A DAY!! I did not know this.
  • jennylynj21
    1305 posts Member
    edited December 2013

Makes a lot of sense.

I just found this and was shocked.

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2013/07/candy-crush-saga-is-earning-633000-a-day/

Candy Crush Saga makes $633,000 A DAY!! I did not know this.

If I made that a day I would buy all my tsto friends donuts everyday!
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    Bravewall wrote:
    My understanding of candy crush, even though I have never tried it. (I'm told its like heroin: not even once) is that everyone plays it. While I'm sure TSTO is the more expensive game, not everybody plays it, and fewer people spend money in it.

This. Everyone plays candy crush. Arlandria makes a valid point as well. Each CC update costs like $0.99, which is much easier for most people to justify spending, myself included. I pay for the ability to play more CC, instead of buying imaginary buildings in a game that is free to play. I know what you all will say, we have to buy donuts or they'll stop making TSTO. They don't make TSTO for me, the broke father who has a couple dollars to spend a month. They keep making TSTO for the "completionist" who will keep spending $40-$100 a month on the game, even when they don't like it anymore.
  • CoffeeMars
    1058 posts
    edited December 2013
    For a while it appeared as if most people I was surrounded with played Candy crush. I know a good bunch I work with pay for that game too.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    I dont play any of those games you have listed, i do play other games that i spend money on but TSTO is by far the most i have ever spent money on
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • MissGrafin
    806 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    I really can't stand Candy Crush, I played it for all of 5 minutes than deleted it..

But, the developers are filthy rich, which I could only hope.. Maybe getting my law degree was a bad idea.. I should have spent the last several years on app design...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.